• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Losing streaks

Started by Googlymoogly, October 19, 2014, 10:07:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Googlymoogly

My friends and I have been discussing this recently as the Mountain Home Bombers are now currently on a 27-game losing streak. We were wondering what the state record is for longest losing streak.
Little Rock Hall ended a 29-game losing streak when they opened the season with a 6-6 tie with North Pulaski, but in some research I did on my own today, I found out that Helena-West Helena lost 30 in a row from 1989-92.
Does anyone know of a losing streak longer than this one?
Oh I checked, the national record for losing is 82 games in a row by a school in Georgia.

Brian G

Winslow had the steak at one time. Can't remember the number but seemed they broke it and then gave up football a few years later.

Leland would know.

Brian G

Brian G

I think Winslow broke their streak in '77 beating St.Paul.   My guess is it was around 38.

Googlymoogly

Googlymoogly

Quote from: B.G. on October 19, 2014, 10:09:12 pm
Winslow had the steak at one time. Can't remember the number but seemed they broke it and then gave up football a few years later.

Leland would know.
We got a message in to Leland AND to Rich, but haven't heard back yet

Googlymoogly

I think I just found the answer.
Cross County lost 43 in a row after beating Marked Tree in week 2 of 1997 then not winning again until opening the 2002 season with three straight wins.

Googlymoogly

According the Leland's almanac, DeValls Bluff went 0-10 in 1958, 0-12 in 1959, 0-10 in 1960, 0-10 in 1961, 0-10 in 1962... So that's is at least 52 straight losses after 1957 and they did win one in 1963, so it could be longer.

Googlymoogly

And now we have discovered that Caddo Hills lost 59 in a row. They lost a bunch from 1987 to 1991, dropped football for 10 years and restarted in 2001 only to lose about 11 more in a row and then dropped it again late in the 2003 season.
So 59 is now our new record.

Hoghead

Waldron is currently on a 27 game of perfection the wrong way. 0-10 in 2012 & 13 0-7 in 2014.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: Hoghead on October 20, 2014, 12:44:34 am
Waldron is currently on a 27 game of perfection the wrong way. 0-10 in 2012 & 13 0-7 in 2014.
So Waldron and Mountain Home currently have the longest losing streaks in the state. I feel safe in saying that

Googlymoogly

Quote from: Googlymoogly on October 20, 2014, 01:05:13 am
Quote from: Hoghead on October 20, 2014, 12:44:34 am
So Waldron and Mountain Home currently have the longest losing streaks in the state. I feel safe in saying that
I stand corrected. Waldron's losing streak goes back to the last three games of 2011 so the Bulldogs' losing streak is 30, that's the longest in the state currently

SouthpawSensation

Interesting point you bring up, googly. Please don't take what I'm about to say like I'm trying to prove you wrong. I just want to build upon it.
While the tie to North Pulaski (referred to that week as the "pooper scooper of the week") earlier in the season did break Hall's losing streak, Hall still remains mired in a winless streak. It's now 34 consecutive games without a victory, and I don't see it ending before the regular season ends.
The only good thing ... it can't be extended into the playoffs this year. Thank goodness!

HorseFeathers

guys your forgetting about drew central...they're in a 30 game losing streak too..

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: HF on October 20, 2014, 09:20:43 am
guys your forgetting about drew central...they're in a 30 game losing streak too..
I just counted that one up ... try 39 games right now! The Pirates' last win was a 12-6 decision over Genoa Central in Oct. 15, 2010, more than 4 years ago. Ugh!

Brian G

Alright, someone needs to get a list made.

phdefense

Brian G

Actually, I give them credit for sticking to it and not folding.

Douglas

Quote from: B.G.Alright, someone needs to get a list made.
Y'all just need to be patient. ;)

outlaws4life26

Mountain Pine has a 27 game losing streak. Looks like the only way they keep from getting 30 is to beat Quitman week 10.

Brian G

I propose a tournament for all these teams.  Play it out like they do AAU for 3rd, 5th, 7th.  When done, only one  streak would be left standing.

Lions84

Quote from: B.G. on October 20, 2014, 11:49:28 am
I propose a tournament for all these teams.  Play it out like they do AAU for 3rd, 5th, 7th.  When done, only one  streak would be left standing.

Just their lucks they would all end in ties.

Lionheart88

DeQueen's last win was against Magnolia in 2012.  They're on an active 18 game losing streak that isn't likely to stop growing until at least next year.

Googlymoogly

Great, thanks! That's why I started this thread because I didn't have the time to scour all the teams in Arkansas for current losing streaks.
From the recent posts, I think we have finally established that Drew Central has the state's longest current losing streak at 39. But I am still searching for what the longest losing streak EVER was in this state. So far, it's the 59 straight games Caddo Hills lost over what looks like a 15-year period, not counting those 10 seasons the Indians did not field a team.
I am also interested to know what the big school record is for losing streaks. And by big schools, I mean 5A, 6A and 7A schools. Sure, teams like DeValls Bluff, Winslow and Caddo Hills are going to have long losing streaks but most years they barely fielded a team. And in DeValls Bluff and Winslow's cases, those schools no longer exist!
Right now the record for big schools is 30 by Helena-West Helena which they did while a member of the state'
s largest classification back in those days. I know, right now LR Hall is on a 34-game "winless" streak, but look at the title of this thread. They still did not lose to North Pulaski in that 6-6 tie (Geez, that game must have been ugly).

Lionheart88

Ask the person in the stands, if you can find him. :)

Googlymoogly

Quote from: Lionheart88 on October 20, 2014, 03:14:48 pm
Ask the person in the stands, if you can find him. :)
You think he'd admit to being there???

Brian G

If a tree falls in the woods....

DogsWin7

Does it make a sound....? 

I see Waldron unfortunately is on this list.   

Proud Buckaroo

Drew central has lost almost 40+ in a row.

DogsWin7

Sad that programs take a turn like that....I don't know what all factors in to lead to things like this for certain schools....is it Administration changes, Coaching Change...what helps contribute to this type of losses? 

new2karting

I think I worked that Drew Central/Genoa game.  Wow.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on October 21, 2014, 07:35:29 pm
Sad that programs take a turn like that....I don't know what all factors in to lead to things like this for certain schools....is it Administration changes, Coaching Change...what helps contribute to this type of losses?

Their problem is lack of talent. They are in the same town as Monticello. Would you rather go to a losing program, with no tradition? Most kids think that way. Also. Their biggest issue is getting a new coach every season. They have not had a coach willing to comit to them and help build a good program.

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 22, 2014, 04:16:19 am
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on October 21, 2014, 07:35:29 pm

Their problem is lack of talent. They are in the same town as Monticello. Would you rather go to a losing program, with no tradition? Most kids think that way. Also. Their biggest issue is getting a new coach every season. They have not had a coach willing to comit to them and help build a good program.

Also, they're still a fairly young program, they only picked it up about 5 years ago, didn't they?

Big Fan

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on October 23, 2014, 11:21:27 pm
Also, they're still a fairly young program, they only picked it up about 5 years ago, didn't they?
True....but they will never win.  It is not a situation that is conducive to creating a winning football program.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Big Fan on October 24, 2014, 05:27:14 pm
Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on October 23, 2014, 11:21:27 pm
True....but they will never win.  It is not a situation that is conducive to creating a winning football program.
Can I ask what makes you say that?   Is it from economic perspective, support or what?    I'm just curious.:)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas