• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

batting average - Good, Better, Best

Started by Talkinboutit, March 18, 2006, 07:20:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Talkinboutit

What is a good batting average for High School Softball?  I know that we have the "extreme" hitters but what is considered a good average?

sportsmom

Quote from: Talkinboutit on March 18, 2006, 07:20:03 pm
What is a good batting average for High School Softball?  I know that we have the "extreme" hitters but what is considered a good average?

This is a difficult question to answer because there are so many factors involved.  For example, conferences with dominant pitching are generally going to have lower overall batting averages.  I've seen some players on AA and AAA teams with 600+ batting averages.  You won't see many with numbers like that at the AAAA or AAAAA levels.

True Fan

A lot has to do with the scorekeeper. Most smaller schools have a parent or volunteer handling the book. Sometimes the difference between a hit, error,sacrifice, or fielders choice isn't easy without some experience. I always want to give a hit, but it doesn't help you in the long run. Usually, the better the teams, the less errors, making the book more accurate. It still comes down to one persons' judgement call.
Please don't take this wrong. I appreciate everone who is willing to do anything to help the team. And sometimes the coaches aren't worried about an exact book. 

Now, my thought on your question. .400 should be a very good average, if you have some other stats to back it up. (RBI's, walks, steals, and scores)
I believe the bat avg. is less important than crossing the plate.

ShortStopper

I would in my own opinion say that .230-.300 would have to be an average.  But other stats need to be in consideration like stealing bases and learning to lay down a sacrifice bunt to help your team out. Batting average doesnt really matter its really how you help your team and make big plays happen.

WeBRINGiT

I would have to say you are right. Bunting does bring your batting average down, but it doesnt matter what your batting average is, its how you get the job done and help your team.

Purple Dog

Quote from: WeBRINGiT on March 19, 2006, 10:44:35 pm
I would have to say you are right. Bunting does bring your batting average down, but it doesnt matter what your batting average is, its how you get the job done and help your team.

If the scorekeeper is doing their job correctly, sacrifices do not hurt your batting average. They are much like walks, in that they are both non-factors when it comes to figuring the batting average.

In AAAAA, .400 and up is big-time and .300 and up is considered very good. I also think you should consider slugging percentage and on-base percentage when evaluating how effective an offensive player is.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas