• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lamar injunction(breaking news)

Started by footballgirl_4, November 12, 2009, 07:16:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PPRD1673

This is a load of B.S. How can you punish every school in the state who stuck to the rules? Total crap... glad i'm not a senior in high school this year because this just is saying everything those kids worked for this year was pointless. give me a break!

bigcat72

IT'S THE ARKANSAS AROGANCE ASSOCIATIONS FAULT.  COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED

NWA Hawg

Why was the player ineligible anyway?

bbeagle

Could have been avoided I agree! Follow the rules= no problem!

RD™

SO what happens to all those those schools who were preparing for a different opponent this week?

If the playoffs are not to be cancelled they definitely must be postponed for a week.

RD™

Quote from: bbeagle on November 12, 2009, 10:19:22 pm
Could have been avoided I agree! Follow the rules= no problem!
They did follow the rules.

jcowell

People were mad because Lamar was holding up the playoffs. They had their court and the AAA did do something wrong or the judge wouldnt have ruled the way it did. now, if the AAA appeals it will hold it up even further. and most will still blame Lamar without knowing all the facts.

Quote from: PPRD1673 on November 12, 2009, 10:09:10 pm
This is a load of B.S. How can you punish every school in the state who stuck to the rules? Total crap... glad i'm not a senior in high school this year because this just is saying everything those kids worked for this year was pointless. give me a break!

bbeagle

Just because the Lamar alumni judge decided there was a reason to postpone the playoffs doesn't mean lamar didn't follow the rules. Once again follow the rules=no problem. I don't think the AAA picked lamar out of a hat to pick on this year

RD™

Lamar School District deserves a right to play for a State Championship just like the other schools in the 3A conference do. You people that are griping about Lamar, I must ask, what would you do, if you were ILLEGALLY forced to forfeit your games and you knew you did nothing wrong and had the approval of the AAA? You would be doing the same thing Lamar is doing.

They have to do something, you can't have the playoffs going into Semester Finals/Christmas Break. Not to mention, the weather for playing high school football will not be great from mid-December on. Someone will be happy in the end and someone will be ticked, the AAA needs to recognize this fact and move on.

The Dynasty

People are mad because Lamar is holding up the playoffs. That is the smartest thing you have said tonight. You have to know if the AAA decides to take this to higher court they will use every resource they have to bury Lamar. I have a feeling the AAA will not stop until there ruling is up held. I still think Lamar is in the wrong. They found a judge that made a horrible decision to allow this case to go on at the expense of kids and parents around the state.   

Cornbread

Quote from: fbfan99 on November 12, 2009, 10:02:38 pm
Cornbread, so you know the facts, did the judge rule that AAA cannot appeal to a higher court?
AAA will take this as far as it needs to, to have the circuit court opinion overturned. AAA has to save face to maintain the monopoly over high school athletics. If this AAA decision is overturned, you can bet that every AAA decision will be subject to litigation in the future.
It's my opinion after years of covering high school sports that we will be lucky to have football playoffs resume next Friday night. Appeals from both side could tie this up in court for a couple of weeks.
Anyone for a Christmas 3A Championship game?

No the judge did not rule that the AAA cannot appeal

mhstiger00

Could they not have done all this last Monday? Why did they decide to wait til the last minute? (serious questions)

The Dynasty

Quote from: RD™ on November 12, 2009, 10:24:27 pm
Lamar School District deserves a right to play for a State Championship just like the other schools in the 3A conference do. You people that are griping about Lamar, I must ask, what would you do, if you were ILLEGALLY forced to forfeit your games and you knew you did nothing wrong and had the approval of the AAA? You would be doing the same thing Lamar is doing.

They have to do something, you can't have the playoffs going into Semester Finals/Christmas Break. Not to mention, the weather for playing high school football will not be great from mid-December on. Someone will be happy in the end and someone will be ticked, the AAA needs to recognize this fact and move on.

Maybe Lamar needs to recognize this fact and move on!!!

Quote from: 72449 on November 12, 2009, 10:22:43 pm
Quote from: PPRD1673 on November 12, 2009, 10:09:10 pm
Totally agree this is bs.The schools that have followed the rules should not have to be punished for what a few do wrong.  it is simple if everyone would do what is RIGHT and follow the rules none of this would have happened and we would be playing football on Friday.

bbeagle

Just on the news lamar is not in the playoffs yet. The AAA has filed an appeal. Playoffs suspended. Lamar has counted their chickens before they hatched again.

Cornbread

Quote from: bbeagle on November 12, 2009, 10:24:24 pm
Just because the Lamar alumni judge decided there was a reason to postpone the playoffs doesn't mean lamar didn't follow the rules. Once again follow the rules=no problem. I don't think the AAA picked lamar out of a hat to pick on this year

I am quoting the facts of the case, you are spouting off at the mouth, I must ask do you actually know who the judge is or was. He is not from Lamar or clarksville. I know this and his office is in Pope County. Really, man if you knew how stupid you sound...

Thomas Barrett

Can someone explain the situation and what it would mean for teams traveling tomorrow?

BadDogGHSDogPound

There is NO traveling tomorrow...there are no games to be played tomorrow!

cedarvillepirates2008

So let me get this right AAA has filed a appeal.

RD™

Quote from: Thomas Barrett on November 12, 2009, 10:36:51 pm
Can someone explain the situation and what it would mean for teams traveling tomorrow?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HOW ABOUT YOU JUST READ THE POST ON THE MESSAGE BOARD

THE PLAYOFFS HAVE BEEN INDEFINITELY SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE UNTIL THE AAA SAYS THE PLAYOFFS ARE BACK ON

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY PEOPLE LEARN TO READ

bbeagle

Yes I do know the judge thank you very much!! I know where he went to school. I know where he is from now. I know the AAA has filed an appeal. I KNOW what an injunction is. But I guess coming from you the story is true. Even though the news media reports differently. But then again the story coming from Lamar should be trusted.

Cornbread

Quote from: cedarvillepirates2008 on November 12, 2009, 10:39:16 pm
So let me get this right AAA has filed a appeal.

I highly doubt that the AAA has filed an appeal, they would have to file it with the court clerk of the respecting court it is to be filed in, how many court clerks do you know that are open at 9PM at nite...

GutsnGlory

1. If the boy and his parrents moved to an area in the Lamar School District  - No rules broken.

2. Threats on ones life seems a Bona Fide enough reason to move to another area.

3. Property ownership in two different counties is not an uncommon occurrence.

4. If the student's residence is in the same school district as the school he attends  - No rules broken.

5. Due process is something that should be and IS allowed to everyone to ensure that their rights have not been offended. Something the AAA tried to withhold.

6. Why would the AAA say anything to Atkins if they had not already had their minds made up regardless of the facts?

7. I have a question.   I wasn't there and I do want to know the facts.   If the judge in Russellville allowed this injunction because of the facts presented to him by both sides then my question is... Why would another judge disagree?  Injunctions are not just given haphazardly without reviewing facts.

The Dynasty

There is one somewhere. They found a judge that would overturn this case.

fbfan99

If I was Parker's Chapel or any other 3A School that is going to lose money due to the chartered bus fiascos, I would file suit against the Lamar School District to recover the money lost.
I have no bias for or against Lamar, but they caused this mess, so they need to pay for it.

Cornbread

Quote from: GutsnGlory on November 12, 2009, 10:42:40 pm
1. If the boy and his parrents moved to an area in the Lamar School District  - No rules broken.

2. Threats on ones life seems a Bona Fide enough reason to move to another area.

3. Property ownership in two different counties is not an uncommon occurrence.

4. If the student's residence is in the same school district as the school he attends  - No rules broken.

5. Due process is something that should be and IS allowed to everyone to ensure that their rights have not been offended. Something the AAA tried to withhold.

6. Why would the AAA say anything to Atkins if they had not already had their minds made up regardless of the facts?

7. I have a question.   I wasn't there and I do want to know the facts.   If the judge in Russellville allowed this injunction because of the facts presented to him by both sides then my question is... Why would another judge disagree?  Injunctions are not just given haphazardly without reviewing facts.

Finally someone speaks with some sense, I was wondering if anyone was out there.

fanoffootball

Quote from: fbfan99 on November 12, 2009, 10:44:06 pm
If I was Parker's Chapel or any other 3A School that is going to lose money due to the chartered bus fiascos, I would file suit against the Lamar School District to recover the money lost.
I have no bias for or against Lamar, but they caused this mess, so they need to pay for it.

How did Lamar cause this? The AAA is who messed up, not Lamar.

bigcat72

I WONDER IF BBEAGLE KNOWS HOW MANY CHICKENS LAMAR HAS ACTUALLY COUNTED

seark66

Lamar better hope this injunction holds up.

http://www.ahsaa.org/docs/2009-10%20__AAA%20Handbook.pdf

Page 18 - Rule 4G

luxora4life

Quote from: mhstiger00 on November 12, 2009, 10:28:11 pm
Could they not have done all this last Monday? Why did they decide to wait til the last minute? (serious questions)

Good question.  If the player was truly legal, you would thing this would have took place a lot earlier.

But I guess when you have to make up paper work before you go in front of the judge, this can take a minute or two.

Cornbread

bbeagle, I would like to know what news station did you get YOUR facts from. I would like to watch it for my self, to see if they say if the AAA has filed for an appeal...

bbeagle

I can tell you one thing I wouldn't put part of my kids future on the line by taking someone's word for it. It doesn't take a very smart cookie to see that. But I guess the way of the world now is to sue when you mess something up.

HA_Fan

Injunction

–noun
1.    Law. a judicial process or order requiring the person or persons to whom it is directed to do a particular act or to refrain from doing a particular act.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/injunction

Some people seem to think that this ruling said a little more than it really did.

BadDogGHSDogPound

Quote from: luxora4life on November 12, 2009, 10:47:13 pm

Good question.  If the player was truly legal, you would thing this would have took place a lot earlier.

But I guess when you have to make up paper work before you go in front of the judge, this can take a minute or two.

You are leveling a blow against Lamar, but leaving out a very important detail here. The AAA did not have their appeals hearing in front of the subcommitte until Tuesday of this week.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, just an interested observer, but reading what I have from both sides so far, I think I have to side that the AAA is in the wrong and tonight a court agreed with that.

MYTIGERS#1

I just wished that whoever made the mistake would have owned up to it.  I was going to Paris tomorrow to watch a football game (since my Tigers had a bye), but that has all changed.  All I want to do is watch a football game and I am sure that all the of those young men who have been working soooo hard for sooo long would love to be playing football  tomorrow night.  These kids are our future, and what is this telling them?...is it ok to make a mistake and them blame someone else?  I am not saying it is Lamars fault, I am not saying it is the AAA's fault, but someone somewhere messed and if they would have led by example and owned up to it, we would not be going through this right now.  This all kind of reminds me of the baseball strike when Nike had the commercials on TV that said "play ball....please", that is what I feel like "Please fix this quickly, so the KIDS can just play football."

fbfan99

Lamar caused this because of several reasons.
1. They filed for an injunction in circuit court to stop the playoffs after their appeal to the subcommittee of AAA Directors was denied on Tuesday and "Lamar school officials requested that the AAA place the appeal before an independent hearing officer. The date and time for such a hearing was not determined on Tuesday," quoted directly from the AAA Media release.
2. They played a player in games whose residency status was unclear (I'm not saying they're right or wrong). Knowingly playing a player who's status is unclear is poor judgement, because they left themselves open to action. I have read other media reports saying that Lamar received verbal permission from AAA to play this player, but verbal or not, Lamar should've waited until they had something written on paper. I'm sure this kid could've been held out of games until written permission was obtained and the Warriors would've still won.
That is why I conclude that this entire mess is the fault of the Lamar athletics department and administration.
I do not believe for one minute that AAA is entirely at fault for this incident.

True Fan

Quote from: seark66 on November 12, 2009, 10:46:51 pm
Lamar better hope this injunction holds up.

http://www.ahsaa.org/docs/2009-10%20__AAA%20Handbook.pdf

Page 18 - Rule 4G

That doesn't really apply. Only if they put Lamar back in and then got it overturned later. Even if it did, the penaties are for the season the AAA is already trying to take away.

GuvHog

Quote from: BadDogGHSDogPound on November 12, 2009, 10:53:00 pm
Quote from: luxora4life on November 12, 2009, 10:47:13 pm

You are leveling a blow against Lamar, but leaving out a very important detail here. The AAA did not have their appeals hearing in front of the subcommitte until Tuesday of this week.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, just an interested observer, but reading what I have from both sides so far, I think I have to side that the AAA is in the wrong and tonight a court agreed with that.

Right. A judge that just happens to be a graduate of Lamar High
School. There is no way that is a coincidence. This thing REEKS
of bias on the part of the Judge

BadDogGHSDogPound

Quote from: MYTIGERS#1 on November 12, 2009, 10:56:12 pm
I just wished that whoever made the mistake would have owned up to it.  I was going to Paris tomorrow to watch a football game (since my Tigers had a bye), but that has all changed.  All I want to do is watch a football game and I am sure that all the of those young men who have been working soooo hard for sooo long would love to be playing football  tomorrow night.  These kids are our future, and what is this telling them?...is it ok to make a mistake and them blame someone else?  I am not saying it is Lamars fault, I am not saying it is the AAA's fault, but someone somewhere messed and if they would have led by example and owned up to it, we would not be going through this right now.  This all kind of reminds me of the baseball strike when Nike had the commercials on TV that said "play ball....please", that is what I feel like "Please fix this quickly, so the KIDS can just play football."

Come on down to Greenwood tomorrow night..see the Show

bigcat72

THE JUDGE IS NOT A LAMAR GRADUATE HE IS FROM OZARK. I DONT KNOW WHERE SOME OF THESE PEOPLE GET THEIR FACTS. 

BadDogGHSDogPound

Quote from: fbfan99 on November 12, 2009, 10:57:28 pm
"Lamar school officials requested that the AAA place the appeal before an independent hearing officer. The date and time for such a hearing was not determined on Tuesday," quoted directly from the AAA Media release.

I still don't understand how this is ALL Lamar's fault when even here on TUESDAY they asked the AAA for an independent hearing officer and the AAA did not set a date or time. What was Lamar to do if they felt they were correct and the playoffs set to start on Friday?

I'm for getting it right either way, but get it right.

GuvHog

Quote from: ColtPride on November 12, 2009, 10:59:21 pm
Here's the deal. Bottom line.

If your football team, your son, were similarly situated to the players and coaches at Lamar, you would want your school administration to follow every available legal avenue to secure a place in the playoffs.

If you suggest otherwise - if you say your position would be the equivalent of "too bad. Guess it just sucks to be us" - you are not being truthful.

And because you WOULD want every legal avenue followed if your school was similarly situated to Lamar, you have zero credibility to criticize.   

Wrong. If the young man in question were my son, He would not have
been in uniform as long as his eligibility was in question. If that meant
he would've had to sit out this year for the benefit of his team, so be
it. He should never have been allowed on the field until ALL T's were
crossed and ALL I's dotted PERIOD. LAMAR was Wrong.

RD™

Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2009, 11:09:08 pm

If your football team, your son, were similarly situated to the players and coaches at Lamar, you would want your school administration to follow every available legal avenue to secure a place in the playoffs.

If you suggest otherwise - if you say your position would be the equivalent of "too bad. Guess it just sucks to be us" - you are not being truthful.

And because you WOULD want every legal avenue followed if your school was similarly situated to Lamar, you have zero credibility to criticize.  

SOMEONE FROM THE AAA TOLD THEM HE WAS GOOD TO GO! DO YOU READ?!?!?!

GuvHog

Quote from: bigcat72 on November 12, 2009, 11:07:00 pm
THE JUDGE IS NOT A LAMAR GRADUATE HE IS FROM OZARK. I DONT KNOW WHERE SOME OF THESE PEOPLE GET THEIR FACTS. 

Someone posted in this thread that they know the judge personally and stated the he DID graduate from Lamar high School.

bigcat72

GuvHog

Quote from: RD™ on November 12, 2009, 11:11:35 pm
Quote from: GuvHog on November 12, 2009, 11:09:08 pm

SOMEONE FROM THE AAA TOLD THEM HE WAS GOOD TO GO! DO YOU READ?!?!?!

Yes, but word of mouth is not binding. It could be that whoever told them
that did not have the authority to do so. They should have gotten it on
paper. A signed legal document.

fbfan99

If I have my civics right, and yes I did pay some attention, the next move is AAA's appeal to the Arkansas State Court of Appeals. Any legal types please correct me if i'm wrong, if the Appeals Court rules against AAA, the Lamar would be in the playoffs and they could start next week. If AAA wins, then Lamar can then appeal the Arkansas Supreme Court, thus no telling how long this could play out.
Like I said, if there is a lawyer in the house, please lay it out correctly.

GuvHog

Quote from: fbfan99 on November 12, 2009, 11:17:22 pm
If I have my civics right, and yes I did pay some attention, the next move is AAA's appeal to the Arkansas State Court of Appeals. Any legal types please correct me if i'm wrong, if the Appeals Court rules against AAA, the Lamar would be in the playoffs and they could start next week. If AAA wins, then Lamar can then appeal the Arkansas Supreme Court, thus no telling how long this could play out.
Like I said, if there is a lawyer in the house, please lay it out correctly.

Either side can appeal to the State Supreme court if the Court of Appeals
decision is not in their favor.

Googlymoogly

Maybe Judge Judy will get involved at some point

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas