• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mimeograph paper sniffers roll call

Started by Eddie Goodson, December 19, 2008, 07:18:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Goodson

I was sitting here watching Modern Marvels and they had a section talking about the old mimeograph paper duplicators. I swear I could smell the paper when the girl on the TV sniffed it. Twenty five years later, the smell is still with me. The fact that no one born after about 1983 knows what I'm talking about makes me feel dated for sure. All you old mimeo addicts sound off.

wynneaholic©

cheap seats

One of my personal favorite smells.  That sweet purplish ink rocked.

monster_island

When papers needed to be mimeographed, I was a ready volunteer.

jackfan1™

I worked in the principal's office all through high school and that was one of my jobs. It is a smell you never forget. I can still hear the "thwump, thwump, thwump" of the barrel as the copies rolled off.

DB

Quote from: jackfan1™ on December 19, 2008, 11:42:10 pm
I worked in the principal's office all through high school and that was one of my jobs. It is a smell you never forget. I can still hear the "thwump, thwump, thwump" of the barrel as the copies rolled off.

And all the young wipper snappers around here go, "huh."

C_A_Morris

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 19, 2008, 07:18:49 pmThe fact that no one born after about 1983 knows what I'm talking about makes me feel dated for sure. All you old mimeo addicts sound off.

Don't be so sure of yourself...I remember the smudgey, blurry, purple ink through at least the second grade, and I was born in '85....

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: C_A_Morris on December 20, 2008, 08:27:25 am
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 19, 2008, 07:18:49 pmThe fact that no one born after about 1983 knows what I'm talking about makes me feel dated for sure. All you old mimeo addicts sound off.

Don't be so sure of yourself...I remember the smudgey, blurry, purple ink through at least the second grade, and I was born in '85....
You lived in the back woods then. By the time I graduated in '86, it was on it's way out. There couldn't have been many places still using it by '91. Consider yourself in the priviledged few.

True Believer

Yep, I remember the smell and the blurry work sheets.  That smell is something you never forget.  Just like a new box of  Crayola crayons and a new tub of Play Doh. 

blue4hire

In Animal House or Fasttimes at Ridgemont High (maybe both), there is a great seen where the teacher is passing out test papers and in unison the entire class picks up the test and sniffs it.

wynneaholic©

SandLizard04

wynneaholic©

Nothin to bite here.  You don't remember the copy machines we had when we were in school.  The smell of that ink on your papers?

Rhonda Elizabeth

I bought tons of the stuff back in 1983 when I was doing my student teaching.

My typing was atrocious and half the time rather than try to correct an error on a test I was typing up, I would start with a fresh "page" and try again.

That got too expensive so I eventually learned to just xxxxx out the error and keep on typing.

My memographed tests had lots of xxxxxx spots.  LOL

I am so very glad those days are firmly in the past.

warriorsforever

So am I, but it is a smell you can't forget!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas