• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eduardo Carmona Signs With Iowa State

Started by ViewFromAbove, July 26, 2007, 02:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ViewFromAbove

Just wanted to let everyone in on some breaking news.

Tomorrow (Friday) former Charleston kicker, Eduardo Carmona, is signing with Iowa State University.  He will be signing in Ames, Iowa at 11:00 AM.  He played last year at Holmes Community College in Mississippi. 

An ISU coach saw him kick at a Tryout Combine in Mississippi last year.  He had some other offers, but ISU was the best fit for him.

Iowa State has a 5th year senior kicking for them this season and then Eddie will be taking over for the next 3 years. 

This is a great story of a kid who is finally getting a chance on the D-I level after overcoming several obstacles to achieve his goal.  He will be the first person in his family to get the opportunity to go to college.

He is a great kicker and an even better person.

GOOD LUCK EDDIE!! ;D

bigworm

hillbilly

Congrats to the follow Franklin Countian. Good luck Eddie.

BarclayAlmanac

that's great news for a great kid. we'll certainly be watching his career for the next three years.

CHSTigersFan

Eddie is a great person for sure, I have had a pleasure of talking to him several times throughout the years, even drove down to Senatobia, MS last year to see him kick though he didn't kick I did get to stand on the Holmes sidelines and talk to him for the better part of a half.

Ya never know even with a 5th year Senior when you might get your chance, I will be looking for Iowa State on TV when the season starts, and if all goes well I am planning on going to Lawrence, Kansas on the 17th of November.

Good Luck Eddie and God Bless!!!

wildcat_x-mgr

Awesome! Best of luck to him, and go Cyclones!

CHSTigersFan

It is official: From the KFSM Channel 5 Website

CHARLESTON - If patience is a virtue, Eduardo Carmona has more than many in the world today.  After a very successful senior season at Charleston High School, Carmona went virtually unnoticed by most college coaches.  However, one year later, Eddie is finally set to try out the biggest state in college athletics.

Maybe his nickname should be "Lucky Eddie," because it was luck this summer that put Carmona in the position he's in today.  In 2005, Carmona helped lead the Tigers to a state championship as the team's kicker.  Carmona was steady and reliable from most distances on the field, so much he was named MVP of the championship game.   He was regarded as one of the top prep kickers in the state, which is a very short list but received no offers for a division one school.

In the fall of 2006, Carmona was in Goodman, Mississippi at Holmes Community College but didn't play football, instead Eddie was redshirted his freshman year.  This summer while still in Mississippi, Carmona used a player combine to his advantage and after a performance many back home in Charleston were accustomed to seeing, coaches from all over came calling.

On Friday, Carmona signed on to play at Iowa State University.  Charleston Head Coach Doug Louchridge says all indications point at Eddie being able to compete for the starting job.  A job, if all goes well, Lucky Eddie could keep for four seasons thanks to his redshirt year in community college.

Cyclone players are to report to Ames, IA on July 31st.  Practice begins the following day.

Richard Hayden

No so fast .... Just because TV says it's so doesn't mean it's so. They didn't follow up on the story. There was no story in the Times Record about it for good reason. There is no signing story ... right now. I talked with one of their guys and they followed up on the story to confirm whether Carmona was able to sign on Friday (when everyone started talking about it on Thursday it was still not official he was going to sign, although several were saying that) and learned that he did NOT sign with Iowa State on Friday. He was expected to sign, but it turns out there are still some issues with his international status that continue to hold up the process. Those are issues that should be ironed out soon, let's hope, because Eddie is very deserving of kicking at the D-I level.

CHSTigersFan

Quote from: Richard Hayden on July 28, 2007, 12:01:48 pm
No so fast .... Just because TV says it's so doesn't mean it's so. They didn't follow up on the story. There was no story in the Times Record about it for good reason. There is no signing story ... right now. I talked with one of their guys and they followed up on the story to confirm whether Carmona was able to sign on Friday (when everyone started talking about it on Thursday it was still not official he was going to sign, although several were saying that) and learned that he did NOT sign with Iowa State on Friday. He was expected to sign, but it turns out there are still some issues with his international status that continue to hold up the process. Those are issues that should be ironed out soon, let's hope, because Eddie is very deserving of kicking at the D-I level.
Not sure where you get your information, but I have it on pretty good authority that he was in Ames, Iowa yesterday to sign, now I could be wrong but thats what I heard.

chaislip84

He did not sign.  There were some problems, so to speak.  Hopefully things will/can be straightened out by the start of school.

ViewFromAbove

Eddie was in the Head Coaches office on Friday at 11:45 AM ready to sign when the Iowa State NCAA Compliance person informed them of the problem with his International paperwork.

Their Head Coach informed Eddie that the offer is still good and they would keep working on this and hopefully get him in by Spring Football 2008 at the latest.

Their Head Coach was going to meet with his A.D. today to see what their options are.  As you can imagine, there is allot of red tape involved with international students and college scholarships.

This has been an ongoing problem that the Charleston Administration has been trying to assist Eddie with since he graduated H.S.

I hope it can work out, and I think that it will.  He is a gifted and talented athlete that just wants a chance to play.

athletic supporter

I'm just asking a question, but if he is having this much trouble being eligible to play college ball was he eligible to play HS ball?

chaislip84

High school and college are two different places and being eligible to play for either are different as well.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas