• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cameras in the Classroom??

Started by bearbacker52, October 10, 2006, 11:43:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bearbacker52

What is your opinion for having cameras in the classroom, I did not want to address the entire state on this just some of the people I am familiar with. The parents while at work could go to their childs school website and check on how they are doing in real time. Plus, there is other benefits from this as well. You could see who actually started the fight etc. I do not want to get into the political community but I did mention this to campaign headquarters for Mike Beebe and they never did get back with me. I then call Asa Hutchinson and they stated this would be a "good idea" and that they would do some research with a pilot/budget program. I asked them why the Beebe office never called me, and I was told that Mr. Beebe supported the teachers union, which would not favor cameras in the classroom.  Now, what teachers would be opposed to that especially if they are doing nothing wrong. I would like for maybe some students, teachers, and parents to respond to this. I know its not football but it is education related. Thanks for your time.

warriorsforever

I have mixed feelings about this.  I am at  times unorthodox in my methods.  You have to be to teach young adolescents, mainly because they are a DIFFERENT breed of kid! The kids get it, but a lot of times, parents and administration don't. I just seems awfully Big Brother to me.  On the other hand- if parents could dial in to their kids classroom and see how they REALLY act, then maybe my job would be more about teaching and less about refereeing or jailing!

mudslog

Good idea, but most of the troublemakers don't have guardians that care much less have a computer or phone line to dial in.   

SandLizard04

I actually think it's a great idea. I think it would be worth it just to see what kids are actually doing in class; it would be invaluable in resolving arguments, seeing what troubled students need to improve on, see exactly what teachers are doing right or wrong, etc. Dardanelle has a video system in the hallways. I'm not sure if any other schools do.

n0toriousnrg

i had cameras in my 10th grade chemistry class.  after the "hoodlums" killed the class pets with dry ice in the fish tank and hydrochloric (sp?) acid in the hamster's water.  it was cruel. but the cameras only added to the "clown's"  act.  (my friend thunderstick '05 mainly) haha.  we would dance in front of the cameras, hump in front of th ecameras, do all kinds of "adolescent" things in front of it. it was awesome.

~cheerleader09~

I think it would be a GREAT idea!! I think the teachers would do a better job at teaching, and most kids would have better behavior. Then if there was a conflict, like I have had in the past we would know who was telling the truth. I know a couple of teachers that always blame the kids. Guess what teachers lie TOO! I caught one one digital voice recorder lying, but admin and other adults always assume that the kids are the ones lying. The one drawback I see about is who is going to monitor the cameras?

n0toriousnrg

a tape.

you must be a pretty bad kid to have to resort to a tape recorder to prove your side...

~cheerleader09~

No
Quote from: LampPost on October 11, 2006, 08:27:46 am
a tape.

you must be a pretty bad kid to have to resort to a tape recorder to prove your side...

No, really bad administration and a worse teacher. The recorder was sent to try and help with understand what we needed to do help with homework.

countrygirl

well they should be put in. There are some cameras in some of the classrooms at my school, but i can tell you exacly what the kids are doing they have their cell phone out and they are texting and yes there our fights when the teacher leaves the room,, but what goes on inside the box that know body knows that might need to kno??

~cheerleader09~

Yes, I know there is a lot of texting even though it is against the law to have a cell phone in school.  Our teachers aren't allowed to leave their classrooms. I might help the kids learn to respect the rules and the teachers. When I was a kid we never showed the level of disrespect that that I have witnessed in the classroom today!

countrygirl

yea there is alot going on in the class rooms now days

Texarkana_Piggie

as a parent, i would not want that.  what's to stop some perv from hacking in and targeting kids.  i wouldn't want my daughter spied on all day by other people.

asian sensation

Put them in there but don't connect it to the internet. If the parents want to know what their kid learned today ask them. Cameras should be in there for the safety of both the teacher and the student. Use the video tape like instant reply in the NFL, it is there to make the correct call.

tdn (Tim)

There are actually 2 parts to the question.

First Cameras in the classroom

Second access to the video feed from outside the classroom

I see nothing wrong with the first idea except the logistics -- what kind of storage capacity will the schools be able to have -- so how long will videos be archieved for review and what is the access policy. 

As for the other, it would require a hefty budget to network all of the camera video streams for on-line access, I suspect.

I see the first (cameras in the classroom) being more workable initially than the latter (real time access).  But I do know there are schools that provide such coverage

Lions84

We had a camera put in a teachers room after complaints about the teacher Discipline and the studnets actions.  The teacher was vindicated by the video evidence. Neither the teacher or students knew if the camera was even there.  :o  We had so RED Faced parents when they were called in for a follow up meeting and got to watch their BABIES on Candid Camera ;D

Chief_Osceola™

They have them on a lot, if not all, school busses, so I don't see any problem in putting them in classrooms.

BigPerm

The problem with cameras in the classroom is this------money. Most of what we're talking about would involve sound. Even the schools with security cameras in the halls don't have cameras with the capability to hear what is being said so you are still put in the position of he said she said. Also the security cameras which are purchased by schools and many businesses are on about a 10-20 second delay so as far as protection, someone could be in and out of school before an SRO could make it to a classroom anyway. The only benefit would be to protect against physical harassment or false reports of physical harassment. If you are serious about this I'm sure your school district would be quite willing to propose a millage increase in order to pay for the equipment.

bearbacker52

You are right, if the district wanted it, the feds could help out being they have millions that go unused.

~cheerleader09~

buffalofan5

Arkansas appearently can't even afford to keep school's open..

Now they're talking about one district for every county in Ar. I think cameras may be an impossible goal..

bearbacker52

Quote from: buffalofan5 on October 11, 2006, 06:35:34 pm
Arkansas appearently can't even afford to keep school's open..

Now they're talking about one district for every county in Ar. I think cameras may be an impossible goal..

this crap sounds like communism

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas