• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

age limit for high school athlete

Started by dwwarrior, March 01, 2006, 08:00:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dwwarrior

Can someone tell me what the legal age limit is for an Arkansas high school athelet?  I know that it is not the same in all states.

Blue Collar

Pretty sure its 18. It sounds right since you are a senior and finishing high school.

True Fan

Look on the AAA website for stuff like this.
http://www.ahsaa.org
The handbook give specifics.

Rule 7. AGE
A. Junior High. A junior high student is not eligible for junior
high competition if the student's 16th birthday is on or before
September 1.
NOTE: In the year a student in junior high school becomes too
old for junior high participation, the student may be allowed to
participate for the senior high if all other eligibility rules are met.
B. Senior High. A senior high student is not eligible for
interscholastic participation if the student's 19th birthday is on
or before September 1.
Rationale - The age rule and the semester rule are both
attempts to equalize competition among athletes in AAA
member schools as well as to encourage athletes to graduate
with their class

Lions84

Quote from: Mc10 fan on March 02, 2006, 11:50:37 pm
Look on the AAA website for stuff like this.
http://www.ahsaa.org
The handbook give specifics.

Rule 7. AGE
A. Junior High. A junior high student is not eligible for junior
high competition if the student's 16th birthday is on or before
September 1.
NOTE: In the year a student in junior high school becomes too
old for junior high participation, the student may be allowed to
participate for the senior high if all other eligibility rules are met.
or before September 1.
Rationale - The age rule and the semester rule are both
attempts to equalize competition among athletes in AAA
member schools as well as to encourage athletes to graduate
with their class

Wow :o I could have came back and played another year of Football. ;)

True Fan

I didn't look, but I think there number of years you can play also. You probably could  have on age. It will let the kid who was held back in kindergarten, or flunked 6th grade keep playing.

Jimbo Morphis

after you reach the ninth grade you have four years to play. then the age limit comes into play.

Golfhog37

Yes when you start a sport you have eight semesters to play athletics and also you have the age limit issue.

TurkeyHunter

just because your not 19 dosent make you eligble for another year you only have eight semesters to play high school athletics

Lions84

Ok since I  did not play my 9th or 10 grade year I could have goofed off and played again the next year. 

TurkeyHunter

Lions84

Sweet ;) too bad I did not know that 20+ years ago.  ;D

No Name

Quote from: Lions84 on April 07, 2006, 09:46:53 am
Ok since I did not play my 9th or 10 grade year I could have goofed off and played again the next year.

No you could not.

Once you enter the 9th grade you have 8 consecutive semesters to play ball.  If you don't play, get ineligible, get kick off , it doesn't matter you just lost those semesters.  You get 8 CONSECUTIVE semesters to play, if you lose them you lose them.

alaskanstorm

it wouldn't havemattered 20 years ago.  i was told that booneville had to play a team in the playoffs with a 23 year old running back.  i believe it was star city but i could be wrong.

Lions84

Quote from: alaskanstorm on May 09, 2006, 08:23:23 pm
it wouldn't havemattered 20 years ago. i was told that Bonneville had to play a team in the playoffs with a 23 year old running back. i believe it was star city but i could be wrong.

your probally right I am not sure what the rules were back in 1984 concerning that.

kijex13

Quote from: LampPost on June 21, 2006, 10:01:13 am
in this case, i wasn't supposed to play ANY sports my senior year??  i didn't go to kindergarten until i was 6, because i was small. :P   my b-day is on aug 22. i was 19 during my ENTIRE senior year...

Then you weren't supposed to play sports your senior year.  That is unless you live in Osceola.

Chief_Osceola™

Tyrone Henry was 19 his senior year at Rivercrest, but I don't know when his birthday fell.

kijex13

Quote from: LampPost on June 21, 2006, 10:35:22 am
that's retarded. lol. gotta be different... you sure it isn't 20 by sept. 1st? because i wasn't even the oldest guy in my grade.
Here is the rule taken straight from the AAA handbook:

or before September 1.

n0toriousnrg

i heard that back during the war, when the draft was in effect, if you were called to duty and were in high school that your eligibility was extended and you could finish your 8 semesters when you got back.  my friend's grandpa "supposedly" did this and played his SR year when he was 23. lol. heard that story somewhere. can't remembe where though.

arreferee

Quote from: LampPost on June 22, 2006, 11:59:19 am
i heard that back during the war, when the draft was in effect, if you were called to duty and were in high school that your eligibility was extended and you could finish your 8 semesters when you got back. my friend's grandpa "supposedly" did this and played his SR year when he was 23. lol. heard that story somewhere. can't remembe where though.

There was an article in the Democrat-Gazette earlier in the year that talked about the Dierks Outlaws.  Evidently, back in the 40s and 50s, there were quite a few players playing well after their 18th birthdays.  In fact, I think there was one quote that said one man had more playing time the year after he graduated than any previous year.  :)

Anon2

Quote from: arreferee on June 22, 2006, 04:08:33 pm
Quote from: LampPost on June 22, 2006, 11:59:19 am
i heard that back during the war, when the draft was in effect, if you were called to duty and were in high school that your eligibility was extended and you could finish your 8 semesters when you got back. my friend's grandpa "supposedly" did this and played his SR year when he was 23. lol. heard that story somewhere. can't remembe where though.

There was an article in the Democrat-Gazette earlier in the year that talked about the Dierks Outlaws.  Evidently, back in the 40s and 50s, there were quite a few players playing well after their 18th birthdays.  In fact, I think there was one quote that said one man had more playing time the year after he graduated than any previous year.  :)

I believe you could play if you were not over 20.  I was 14 scrimmaging against some of those 20 year olds.  They were pretty easy on me though.

CoachJ

Transfer to Osceola and you can play as long as you want.   ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas