Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Monday, February 18th, 2019.
Congrats to all of the AR HS Football players who have signed letter of intent to play in college.
With a 3-0 weekend, kk2 comes from behind to win the Pick'em championship. kk2 292 ISU7 291 Coach Jones 291 RamblinWest 290 hill
Fearless Friday
Championship Capsules Posted

Author Topic: Can someone help out a dumb person, Me!  (Read 1677 times)

Offline JessieP

• Starter
  • It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Can someone help out a dumb person, Me!
« on: February 08, 2019, 08:46:56 pm »
This is my first year following high school basketball closely, Batesville's girls in particular. Even though I'm a die hard sports follower our postseason baffles me. I just checked in last year and the discussion confused me. You have a conference tournament and the top 4 advice? Then those 4 go to a district tournament where the top 8 advance? Then it's a regional tournament where the top 20 advance? Of course I'm being facetious but I remember people talking about post season and saying a team lost but they still advance. I think the AAA has gone a little participation trophy crazy.

My questions are these, Is it ever single elimination? How long from Monday till the final game? To make it simple, for my simple mind, how many games would the Lady Pioneers need to win to become State Champs? How many can they lose? At what point would it be single elimination?

Online J12

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: Can someone help out a dumb person, Me!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:28:03 pm »
This is my first year following high school basketball closely, Batesville's girls in particular. Even though I'm a die hard sports follower our postseason baffles me. I just checked in last year and the discussion confused me. You have a conference tournament and the top 4 advice? Then those 4 go to a district tournament where the top 8 advance? Then it's a regional tournament where the top 20 advance? Of course I'm being facetious but I remember people talking about post season and saying a team lost but they still advance. I think the AAA has gone a little participation trophy crazy.

My questions are these, Is it ever single elimination? How long from Monday till the final game? To make it simple, for my simple mind, how many games would the Lady Pioneers need to win to become State Champs? How many can they lose? At what point would it be single elimination?

Batesville girls have a double bye in the district tournament. That guarantees them a spot in the regional tournament. Win 2 games in the district tournament and you win the tournament.

Regionals gets a little easier. 8 teams are in. 4 advance to the state tournament. Win one game in the regionals and you’re in. They have a championship game and 3rd place game to determine seedings for the state tournament.

State tournament is single elimination. Win them all (3 or 4 depending on seeding) and you’re state champion.

Offline JessieP

• Starter
  • It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 10:28:45 pm »
Batesville girls have a double bye in the district tournament. That guarantees them a spot in the regional tournament. Win 2 games in the district tournament and you win the tournament.

Regionals gets a little easier. 8 teams are in. 4 advance to the state tournament. Win one game in the regionals and you’re in. They have a championship game and 3rd place game to determine seedings for the state tournament.

State tournament is single elimination. Win them all (3 or 4 depending on seeding) and you’re state champion.

Thank you. So Batesville can't really rest the starters in District, seeding is important. I'm guessing we're a good 3 weeks from Hot Springs?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:41:41 pm by JessieP »

Online J12

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 10:43:12 pm »
Thank you. So Batesville can't really rest the starters in District, seeding is important. I'm guessing were a good 3 weeks from Hot Springs?

I wouldn’t think they would. Yea, state championship isn’t until next month.

I hardly agree with AAA but in this case it’s the easiest way to get the state tournament down to a manageable size.

Whereas in 5A-7A in the past it made sense to hop right into State, but with so many teams it’s logical to have a regional tournament.

Offline Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian

• Specialized Moderator
  • All Star
  • Shiloh Christian OC
    • Arkansas 7 on 7 Football
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 12:13:42 am »
Regional Tournament is absolutely NOT necessary... this goes for basketball and baseball. Only thing it really does is eliminate half the teams...the same thing a first round of a state tournament would do.  But it does cost several teams extra trips, more missed class, and their parents more missed work, more gas money, more money eating out, and admission cost. 

Offline prHOG13

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 12:49:46 am »
Regional Tournament is absolutely NOT necessary... this goes for basketball and baseball. Only thing it really does is eliminate half the teams...the same thing a first round of a state tournament would do.  But it does cost several teams extra trips, more missed class, and their parents more missed work, more gas money, more money eating out, and admission cost.
Amen

Offline wait4it

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 07:42:17 am »
Compare it to a region in NCAA.  There is away to do it without a "regional tournament".  It will still have some unhappy teams.

Online ZoneBuster

• 2nd String
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 07:45:31 am »

You do have teams, though,  that make deep runs and I would say have won championships that weren’t the outright conference, district, and regional winner. It gives teams a chance like a .500 team winning a conference tourney and getting an automatic bid in the NCAAT.

Online ZoneBuster

• 2nd String
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 07:51:34 am »
You do have teams, though,  that make deep runs and I would say have won championships that weren’t the outright conference, district, and regional winner. It gives teams a chance like a .500 team winning a conference tourney and getting an automatic bid in the NCAAT.

You could definitely do away with a lot games and shorten it up big time. Similar to Missouri, only the district winner advances, then you would play one regional game since you’re down to 8 then those winners would be your final 4. Could make the final 4 a bigger deal. Would cut a lot of games, eliminate most “Cinderella” runs.

Online HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 08:19:19 am »

I'd be for cutting district tournaments before region tournaments

Online J12

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 08:35:35 am »
I'd be for cutting district tournaments before region tournaments

Same. You’re seeing some conferences doing that too.

Offline doctor in the house

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 07:28:58 pm »
I enjoy the current format..  More kids get to participate in post season play and more teams get the opportunity to play in big games for hardware and letter jacket patches.. I think that winning a regional tournament quarter final game to qualify for a state tournament berth is a memory that many kids will look back on and enjoy.

Offline boss85

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 09:02:46 pm »
As far as the AAA is concerned, your last thing on the list is all they care about. They keep 100% of the gate at every regional and state tournament game. They could care less about missed classes, gas money etc. They just need their cut so they can make sure no player ever rolls up his shorts!😉😉

Offline friscokid

• Bench Warmer
  • AR born. AR bred. Two out of three ain't bad.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 07:44:09 am »
There i$ only one rea$on why they keep the$e regional tournament$.

Online Ice Water

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 09:42:58 am »
As they stand now, regionals are really pointless. Back when only 2 of the 8 teams advanced to state, they served a much greater purpose.

Online Gray lizard

• Starter
  • Go Apaches Go
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:58 am »
I think the way it is currently gets the best teams to the finals.  Region does it's job of weeding out a down conference and allows a chance for a strong conference to advance more teams. Who the heck wants less games in basketball.

Online J12

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:40 am »
As they stand now, regionals are really pointless. Back when only 2 of the 8 teams advanced to state, they served a much greater purpose.

That still happens in lower classifications.

Offline 3 Dollar

• Assistant Coach
  • May God Bless You All!!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 12:50:35 pm »

No it doesn't

Online HorseFeathers

• Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 01:05:47 pm »

Hasn't happened in 10+ years...

Online J12

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 01:10:43 pm »
Hasn't happened in 10+ years...

Odd. I remember when Riverside was making a run to state, the year it was at Bald Knob a few years ago, and thought they had to make the championships in Regionals.

Maybe it was for seeding purposes.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:13:20 pm by J12 »

Offline Go Postal

• "The one and only GOBLINS mascot in the USA"
  • Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
  • US Navy 1978-1982, US Postal Service 1988-present
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 03:46:33 pm »
JessieP, you're not alone on trying to figure out the 4-A scheme of things.  We still have Spring sports to get through pretty soon too.

Online HorseFeathers

• Legend
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 09:11:17 pm »
Odd. I remember when Riverside was making a run to state, the year it was at Bald Knob a few years ago, and thought they had to make the championships in Regionals.

Maybe it was for seeding purposes.

Probably a better draw if they made top 2 or something....Not sure when it changed from top 2 though(1A did have a span where top 3 made state, with a rotating region getting to send 4)

Offline friscokid

• Bench Warmer
  • AR born. AR bred. Two out of three ain't bad.
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 09:37:32 pm »
What I dislike about the system is you can have a losing postseason record and still advance to state by simply winning the "right" games. In other systems, you lose once, you're done.

Online HorseFeathers

• Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 09:40:34 pm »
What I dislike about the system is you can have a losing postseason record and still advance to state by simply winning the "right" games. In other systems, you lose once, you're done.

Well we've seen 0-10 teams make football playoffs....Haven't seen any winless teams in the state tournament field from other sports yet

Offline Lumberjackfan1978

• All Star
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 11:42:45 pm »
Well we've seen 0-10 teams make football playoffs....Haven't seen any winless teams in the state tournament field from other sports yet
Just doesn't make sense that an 0-10 team can make the playoffs though or 1-10,2-8,3-7,or 4-6 for that matter

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center