Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Wednesday, December 12th, 2018.
With a 3-0 weekend, kk2 comes from behind to win the Pick'em championship. kk2 292 ISU7 291 Coach Jones 291 RamblinWest 290 hill
Fearless Friday
Championship Capsules Posted

Author Topic: Shot Clock Gaining Steam  (Read 5868 times)

Offline Moonshiner

• Starter
  • Formerly luvthegame
Re: Shot Clock Gaining Steam
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2018, 03:05:35 am »
How many high school teams shoot 34% from 3? I watch A LOT of small school ball....the drop off of the # of good teams seems to correlate with the number of coaches(and fans) that want those fancy Golden State Run and Gun offense implemented...and that's just from the last 10 years.

Shooting 34% from 3 might be more efficient...but if you don't have the shooters, or your shooters go ice cold from 3...you're done..

But this has literally nothing to do with a shot clock lol

Agreed.   I said this earlier...but...I think running the football is boring.   So...let's make football pass at least twice per 4 downs....and....a girl has to be the QB every other down....like PE class.   I know that whistle britches will tell me that I'm being over dramatic, but I firmly believe that as a faN I have a right.

Offline B.G.

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2018, 08:49:19 am »
NC and Texas adding shot clock.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2018, 01:38:03 pm »

And what do you know.... States with far superior basketball than ours which will leave our state even further in the dust when producing talent to take to the next level!

Online HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2018, 08:04:15 pm »

And what do you know.... States with far superior basketball than ours which will leave our state even further in the dust when producing talent to take to the next level!

Our state isn't in their dust to begin with....We see the dust cloud on the distant horizon...Shot clock won't change that....🤷

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2018, 08:09:58 pm »

Has anyone seen any guidance from any state HS athletic association on how table procedures should change? 

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2018, 07:41:33 pm »
Since this issue has lost interest for a bit, let's see where things are now:

AAA has (on its website) the following:
AAA 2018-2019 Shot Clock Experiment Application (35-SECOND – BOYS AND GIRLS)

At present, this is all I can find for procedures for the shot clock operator:

GUIDELINES FOR SHOT CLOCK OPERATORS

BEFORE THE GAME
PREGAME with game officials.
The shot clock horn should be distinctly different from the game clock horn. Sound the horn for game
officials during the pregame conference.
During pregame observe officials signal to reset shot clock and develop communication to correct on
the shot clock timing errors.
Be familiar with the shot clock RECALL button.
Be patient to reset the shot clock.
The game officials will decide any questions in regards to ball hitting or missing the rim, score or no score, ball leaving the hand or not leaving the hand within the shot clock time.

DURING THE COURSE OF THE GAME:
Starting the shot clock – Initial Jump Ball
When the basketball is tossed by the game official, be patient to start the shot clock. Keep in mind
that the game clock will start once the ball is tipped by one or both jumpers. However, the shot clock must start when the ball is possessed or controlled by one of the players on either team.
Starting the shot clock – On Throw-Ins
Once the game official gives the signal to start the game clock. It applies to shot clock. Once the ball is legally touched in bounds on a throw-in by either team player all clocks must start.
Starting the shot clock – On Rebounds following a try after the ball hits the ring.
Once the try hits the ring, reset the shot clock and start it once of the players gain possession of the ball.
Stopping the shot clock.
Stop the shot clock on every official whistle. Do not reset the shot clock, wait on the official’s signal. The shot clock recall will be useful if the shot clock is reset in error. The game official will give you the signal if a reset is required.
Stop the shot clock when a players try hits their ring. Reset the shot clock and start it once a player secures the rebound, OR on a made try. Reset the shot clock and start it once the throw-in is touched by either team player.
Resetting the shot clock
Reset the shot clock on a change of possession.
Reset the shot clock when a players try hits the ring.
Reset the shot clock on fouls.
Reset the shot clock on a defensive kickball violation to 15 seconds in shot clock displays 14 seconds
or below.
Pregame shot clock reset and signals with shot clock operator. During pregame listen to shot clock
horn. If either shot clock is not working, no shot clock will be used.
Official shot clock signals
Reset Two fingers held above the head and moved in a circular motion. Violation One hand held flat above the head and moved in a tapping a motion.

2018-19 Statistics for AAA Shot Clock Experiment
PLEASE APPOINT a reliable statistician and have him or her collect data requested on this form. THIS FORM SHALL BE RETURNED TO THE AAA OFFICE WITHIN TWO WEEKS OF THE COMPLETION OF THE EVENT.
Do not combine BOYS and GIRLS statistics on the same form.
DATA TO BE SECURED FROM THE SCOREBOOK
BOYS __________ GIRLS __________ Competition TOTAL NUMBER OF GAMES included in this report ______
TOTAL SCORE: WINNERS ______ LOSERS ______
TOTAL TIME: HOURS ______ MINUTES ______ DO NOT AVERAGE
THE FOLLOWING ARE TOTALS FOR BOTH TEAMS AND ALL GAMES (DO NOT AVERAGE)
_______ Total number of PERSONAL FOULS throughout game
_______ Total number of PERSONAL FOULS IN FOURTH QUARTER only _______ Total number of PERSONAL DISQUALFIED WITH FIVE FOULS _______ Total number of THROWS ATTEMPTED (personal or technical fouls) _______ Total number of SUCCESSFUL FREE THROWS
_______ Total number of TWO-POINT FIELD GOALS ATTEMPTED
_______ Total number of SUCCESSFUL TWO-POINT FIELD GOALS
_______ Total number of THREE-POINT FIELD GOALS ATTEMPTED
_______ Total number of THREE-POINT FIELD GOALS
Administrative Questions:
What was your equipment cost for the shot clock:
What was the compensation for the shot clock operator:
Describe any issues or problems with securing an individual to operate the shot clock:
     SCHOOL SUBMITTING: SIGNATURE:
DATE:
___________________________________________ ___________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2018, 07:43:05 pm »
Clearly, AAA is expecting the shot clock to require another dedicated person at the scorer's table because in reading the responsibilities, there is NO WAY the current clock operator or book keeper could fulfill these duties. 

Also, for those schools who have a person (or persons) running a big board (with individual player points and fouls) and / or a PA announcer, I don't see those individuals being able to effectively serve two functions here. 

What have y'all seen in the field for schools that have actually tried this - and more importantly - was it working? 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:45:53 pm by sevenof400 »

Online Head Lion

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2018, 07:14:39 pm »
I would love to see, but with the quality of officiating, it would be just one more thing to get screwed up.

Offline Flobbito

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2018, 01:23:31 pm »
I would love to see, but with the quality of officiating, it would be just one more thing to get screwed up.

+1

Offline footballfan-tastic

• Assistant Coach
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #109 on: Today at 10:38:27 am »
+1

Officials have plenty on their plate already, and you want to add to that?  You also are going to put an additional strain on the clock keepers.   Good defense can set the tempo so I'm not a big fan of the clock in HS.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
  • i feel more like i do now than i did awhile ago!
« Reply #110 on: Today at 10:48:16 am »
Officials have plenty on their plate already, and you want to add to that?  You also are going to put an additional strain on the clock keepers.   Good defense can set the tempo so I'm not a big fan of the clock in HS.

I believe the big issue would be the clock operator =, heck they have enough problems keeping the score right, much less the time and a shot clock.

Offline VHSCoach2

• All Star
« Reply #111 on: Today at 01:40:04 pm »

I believe the big issue would be the clock operator =, heck they have enough problems keeping the score right, much less the time and a shot clock.

What I have seen, most schools use a three-man table crew. One will operate the "big board," i.e., player points/fouls, team timeouts, and serve as the PA guy, one will keep the official book, and one will keep the clock, score, team fouls, and sub horn.

In these instances, none of them would be able to keep the shot clock on top of their duties; so, more than likely, a fourth person would be needed at most scoring tables just to keep the shot clock.

This still has nothing on college scoring tables, though. Just the other day, we had close to 15 at UCA's table during a women's basketball game.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
  • i feel more like i do now than i did awhile ago!
« Reply #112 on: Today at 01:42:10 pm »
What I have seen, most schools use a three-man table crew. One will operate the "big board," i.e., player points/fouls, team timeouts, and serve as the PA guy, one will keep the official book, and one will keep the clock, score, team fouls, and sub horn.

In these instances, none of them would be able to keep the shot clock on top of their duties; so, more than likely, a fourth person would be needed at most scoring tables just to keep the shot clock.

This still has nothing on college scoring tables, though. Just the other day, we had close to 15 at UCA's table during a women's basketball game.

I can see that being a must

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center