Other Arkansas High School Sports > Arkansas High School Track and Field

Looking back in time - Gary Green (Paris)

(1/4) > >>

MICHAELSPAPPY:
Somewhere around 1963, my cousin Gary Green would have been a freshman at Paris. In those days they were Class A; now Paris is 3A. Gary was fast and had been a sprinter (100 and 220) all season. Finally, however, in the district meet, his coach put him in the 440, and he set the junior high district record - somewhere around 54.5, if my memory serves me right - in his first attempt at the distance. In his second try at the 440 in the state meet, he set the state record (53.0 if I recall correctly). Probably those numbers or their metric equivalents have been eclipsed by now, but they both stood for a long time. Gary had an outstanding high school career, also. He was third in the meet of champs his junior year, running 49.8. He was injured for his senior season and did not get to compete.

The 1960s and early 1970s were a really strong period for track and field in Arkansas. A lot of the top times in state history still stem from that era.

Gray lizard:
The 440 converts well to the current 400.  I bet he ran on cinder track as I did on several in the late 70's early 80's.  I know Subiaco, and Dardanelle had one.

MICHAELSPAPPY:
I'm sure it was cinder. None of the lower level schools had anything else back in those days, that I remember. If they had that.

beach bum:

--- Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on April 17, 2018, 11:05:31 am ---Somewhere around 1963, my cousin Gary Green would have been a freshman at Paris. In those days they were Class A; now Paris is 3A. Gary was fast and had been a sprinter (100 and 220) all season. Finally, however, in the district meet, his coach put him in the 440, and he set the junior high district record - somewhere around 54.5, if my memory serves me right - in his first attempt at the distance. In his second try at the 440 in the state meet, he set the state record (53.0 if I recall correctly). Probably those numbers or their metric equivalents have been eclipsed by now, but they both stood for a long time. Gary had an outstanding high school career, also. He was third in the meet of champs his junior year, running 49.8. He was injured for his senior season and did not get to compete.

The 1960s and early 1970s were a really strong period for track and field in Arkansas. A lot of the top times in state history still stem from that era.

--- End quote ---

That 49.8 is insanely fast....

RATTLER43:
Yes, it is.  Love these stories.  Keep 'em comin'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version