• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Women's Basketball

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, November 04, 2016, 08:00:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 02:30:17 pm
Hey guy you're silly. There are no requirements in a scholarship or anywhere in any University that requires standing for the National Anthem. Nor are there any requirements for any of the many athletes representing the many countries in the Arkansas Athletic Program.

Why should a coach be fired for this? No coach or athletic director has any say on what nations the students stand for, what religion they adhere or do not adhere to, or their sexual orientation.
lol, there is a code of ethics when you sign a schollie...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Everyone should watch this...Dykes won't handle it this way because he has no back bone...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 04, 2016, 04:47:02 pm
lol, there is a code of ethics when you sign a schollie...

Would you mind printing this for us, I haven't read it, or found it.

RyanLR

Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 05:10:45 pm
http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=8 It doesn't mention nationalism or American flags or anthems.

"I'll leave symbols to the symbol-minded"-George Carlin

Romeo

ricepig

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 05:17:00 pm
http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=8 It doesn't mention nationalism or American flags or anthems.

"I'll leave symbols to the symbol-minded"-George Carlin

I'm not sure what a football coaches code of ethics has to do with a recruit signing a s scholarship with the University of Arkansas, but, Ok......

RyanLR

That was the only part of the article I could find that is "for the student athletes". I can't seem to find an official NCAA Code of Ethics

nastynice

Don't know where to start , I'm gonna just jump in head first! These people that think they are really making a difference by kneeling have to be the dumbest and laziest people around. First, it has brought nothing but negative attention to those involved and to the issues. It is doing nothing but pushing people like me further and further away from these issues. When you keep doing the same thing over and over but keep getting same results, guess what? You're insane. You want to make a difference, get off your lazy knee and go to work on the issues. Get involved in the community. If they really cared about making positive results, they would've quit after we all saw the negative results this was creating.

RyanLR

nastynice

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 03:55:44 pm
Yeah I'm not a fan of mind control. You couldn't pay me to step foot inside a church.
Ryan, you must be a gambler. Cause you're taking a big risk.

RyanLR

Quote from: nastynice on November 04, 2016, 05:30:28 pm
Ryan, you must be a gambler. Cause you're taking a big risk.
No I only gambled a few times for pennies playing dominos. What risk are we talking about?

Longfellow

I'm surprised this is getting as much attention as it is. I wasn't aware people watched women's basketball. But it is their right as American citizens, so go ahead in my book. White, black, Christian, Muslim, straight, gay, it doesn't matter. If you are an American citizen you have the right to protest. I don't agree with it, but I applaud their use of these freedoms. I don't think it helps anything, but what do I know

nastynice

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 05:31:58 pm
No I only gambled a few times for pennies playing dominos. What risk are we talking about?
What if you're right and I'm wrong? What do you gain and what do I lose?
What if I'm right and you're wrong? What do I have to gain and you have to lose?

WPWells

How many of you that are speaking out against these girls have gotten mad at someone who didn't support you carrying guns? Both are equally protected by the constitution.

RyanLR

Quote from: nastynice on November 04, 2016, 05:46:50 pm
What if you're right and I'm wrong? What do you gain and what do I lose?
What if I'm right and you're wrong? What do I have to gain and you have to lose?
What if a pepperoni pizza is delicious? Do the bacteria in the cheese get to go to Heaven too?

Longfellow

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 04, 2016, 06:04:41 pm
How many of you that are speaking out against these girls have gotten mad at someone who didn't support you carrying guns? Both are equally protected by the constitution.
Excellent point

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 06:12:36 pm
What if a pepperoni pizza is delicious? Do the bacteria in the cheese get to go to Heaven too?
I'm confused. Could you get more in depth? Help us understand

kahnny

November 04, 2016, 06:20:55 pm #66 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:37:22 pm by kahnny
There's a lot to digest here on a lot of levels.

I personally don't agree with university scholar-athletes making a statement during the national anthem.
What I agree with and disagree with has seldom mattered, but as a born and bred Arkansan, a UA alum and a tax-paying resident, I'm a little embarrassed that this happened here.

There are a couple of points to make, though, and I hope they are not repetitive.

The six girls who kneeled and Ms. Swenson, who expressed support but chose to honor a fallen relative by standing, are listed as sophomores (three) and freshmen (four).
I find it interesting that all three seniors and the lone junior are not listed in the kneeling column.

Don't know what this says, necessarily, but it does lead me to a big question about leadership.
Is the coach letting the tail wag the dog? I think so, absolutely. This is a team game. When you take the floor wearing a uniform, you are taught, trained, expected to do things together.
This is not a unified event. I would suggest that if the coach stands behind his players 100 percent that he might ought to kneel, too.

I think he is either not fully supportive by not kneeling or hypocritical by kneeling.
He can't win. And this is not a subject to be playing the middle.
In short, there is no middle. It's a must, in my humble opinion, to represent your team as a unit and to represent your university and this state in the best light possible.

To kneel while wearing uniforms that say ARKANSAS and RAZORBACKS makes this reprehensible. And the coach himself once wore that uniform.
Does he really believe he is leading these girls in the right direction? Is there not any other way to call attention to their views?

They've called attention to themselves and their reason for protest is totally forgotten by many of us.

I feel bad that I feel this way. I can't fix what's wrong, but I feel somewhat condemned by this group of girls who are walking the same grounds I walked before them.
Is that what these girls meant to do? Hurt our feelings because it is in our very being to want to stand up and give our country two minutes of acknowledgement before a game?

I don't want anybody's head for this or anything like that. I just don't want this attention on us.

I couldn't put it into words how I felt until I read this. This sums it up well:

Whippersnapper says... November 4, 2016 at 8:45 a.m.
Stand, sit, kneel, whatever. Simply realize that you will be judged by the choices you make and the actions you take. You want to protest the national anthem? That's fine, as long as you are willing to alienate 2/3 of your fellow countrymen by doing so. You think that this won't close doors of opportunity for you in the future? The internet forgets nothing (just ask Hillary) and every employer you apply at these days is googling your name. You just shut down 1/2-2/3 of your potential future career opportunities as businesses run by conservatives (or just by folks who don't want to risk employees who make waves) dump your resume upon receipt. Let us know how that works out for you in thirty years.

Dykes did these girls a grave disservice by not giving them better leadership with some simple advice: When you step on the field of play, you're a Razorback. Your duty is to represent the Razorbacks and the state of Arkansas to the best of your abilities.
This act to open the season totally missed the mark.

RyanLR

I'm surprised the mods haven't banned me yet lol. I almost expected it.

bleudog

Quote from: Romeo on November 04, 2016, 05:19:19 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/thank-you/

That video done 11/11/15 was impressive.
His statement on 11/03/16 was not.
What happened that caused the 180? 

bleudog

Quote from: kahnny on November 04, 2016, 06:20:55 pm

I personally don't agree with university scholar-athletes making a statement during the national anthem.
What I agree with and disagree with has seldom mattered, but as a born and bred Arkansan, a UA alum and a tax-paying resident, I'm a little embarrassed that this happened here.

There are a couple of points to make, though, and I hope they are not repetitive.

The six girls who kneeled and Ms. Swenson, who expressed support but chose to honor a fallen relative by standing, are listed as sophomores (three) and freshmen (four).
I find it interesting that all three seniors and the lone junior are not listed in the kneeling column.

Don't know what this says, necessarily, but it does lead me to a big question about leadership.
Is the coach letting the tail wag the dog? I think so, absolutely. This is a team game. When you take the floor wearing a uniform, you are taught, trained, expected to do things together.
This is not a unified event. I would suggest that if the coach stands behind his players 100 percent that he might ought to kneel, too.

I think he is either not fully supportive by not kneeling or a Christian by kneeling.
In short, there is no middle. It's a must, in my humble opinion, to represent your team as a unit and to represent your university and this state in the best light possible.

To kneel while wearing uniforms that say ARKANSAS and RAZORBACKS makes this reprehensible. And the coach himself once wore that uniform.
Does he really believe he is leading these girls in the right direction? Is there not any other way to call attention to their views?

They've called attention to themselves and their reason for protest is totally forgotten by many of us.

I feel bad that I feel this way. I can't fix what's wrong, but I feel somewhat condemned by this group of girls who are walking the same grounds I walked before them.
Is that what these girls meant to do? Hurt our feelings because it is in our very being to want to stand up and give our country two minutes of acknowledgement before a game?

I don't want anybody's head for this or anything like that. I just don't want this attention on us.

I couldn't put it into words how I felt until I read this. This sums it up well:

Stand, sit, kneel, whatever. Simply realize that you will be judged by the choices you make and the actions you take. You want to protest the national anthem? That's fine, as long as you are willing to alienate 2/3 of your fellow countrymen by doing so. You think that this won't close doors of opportunity for you in the future? The internet forgets nothing (just ask Hillary) and every employer you apply at these days is googling your name. You just shut down 1/2-2/3 of your potential future career opportunities as businesses run by conservatives (or just by folks who don't want to risk employees who make waves) dump your resume upon receipt. Let us know how that works out for you in thirty years.

Dykes did these girls a grave disservice by not giving them better leadership with some simple advice: When you step on the field of play, you're a Razorback. Your duty is to represent the Razorbacks and the state of Arkansas to the best of your abilities.

+1 for your first post.

RyanLR

So are you telling me that employers are going to not hire people based on taking a knee?

There's like 12 people at their games. The fans don't support Women's Basketball. Nobody ever hears about them or talks about them until something like this happens. Which is more offensive taking the knee or a hard flagrant foul? To me it's the flagrant.

I got kicked out of class MULTIPLE times for refusing to sing the national anthem, I would use the original Pledge of Allegiance without the "under God". You telling me that's why I can't get a job now? Now it all makes sense.

bleudog

November 04, 2016, 06:42:59 pm #71 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:49:57 pm by bleudog
Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 04:01:01 pm
Well, I'm guessing they don't have the same opinion as you do as to what is "appropriate and acceptable". Good thing you aren't a Hog fan as you would have pulled all the schollies after the Auburn game, lol.

The administration definitely doesn't see the the actions of these six representatives of the university as I would.

As far as the Auburn game, at least they acted as a team.  Plus there may have been some consequences administered by their coaches during subsequent practices with the goal to insure future performance is more acceptable.  ;D

AirWarren

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 06:28:58 pm
I'm surprised the mods haven't banned me yet lol. I almost expected it.

Why, you're just practicing free speech?

AirWarren

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 06:42:23 pm
So are you telling me that employers are going to not hire people based on taking a knee?

There's like 12 people at their games. The fans don't support Women's Basketball. Nobody ever hears about them or talks about them until something like this happens. Which is more offensive taking the knee or a hard flagrant foul? To me it's the flagrant.

I got kicked out of class MULTIPLE times for refusing to sing the national anthem, I would use the original Pledge of Allegiance without the "under God". You telling me that's why I can't get a job now? Now it all makes sense.

Well you're an adult making 8.50 an hour.

I would say your choices in life haven't been the best, starting with your ignorance and getting kicked out of class at an early age. No wonder you don't recognize disrespect. You must have had some real leaders and examples in your life.

Looks like you lazze fair, hatred of Christianity has propelled you far.

ricepig

Quote from: bleudog on November 04, 2016, 06:42:59 pm
The administration definitely doesn't see the the actions of these six representatives of the university as I would.

As far as the Auburn game, at least they acted as a team.  Plus there may have been some consequences administered by their coaches during subsequent practices with the goal to insure future performance is more acceptable.  ;D

We certainly hope so! I don't like what they did, but I believe they have the right to do it.

cuckoobird

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 05:10:45 pm
It would matter if I printed or pasted the whole code of conduct at the UofA and it said they have to abide by certain rules you would pay it no mind Rice...lol...you just like to argue...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Everyone has made some good points, and everyone has the right to believe the way they believe...I get that...But I don't believe that kneeling falls under the right to free speech. Cause really folks, kneeling is not talking. But exactly what were these girls protesting? Black Lives matter? In Fayetteville Arkansas? lol...this is rich...they had NO crowd to display this in front of, no real reason. I'm pretty sure not one of these girls have been oppressed in their young lives. This was nothing more than a STUPID stunt for attention...nothing more and nothing less...And Jimmy Dykes and Jeff Long are just stupid enough to let it ride with stupid statements. I am surprised that Jeff or Jimmy can stand upright these days with as little backbone as they have...lol...

When I called the UofA athletic department today and spoke with the Secretary she was very nice when I told her why I was calling. I ask her if there was a possibility if Jeff Long would call me back. She said he might and I said how far back in line am I and I laughed...she paused for a moment and said, "pretty far back" and then she laughed. They have been inundated with calls all day...I think it's great! ;D

Coach Venny Slocombe

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 04, 2016, 09:37:04 pm
It would matter if I printed or pasted the whole code of conduct at the UofA and it said they have to abide by certain rules you would pay it no mind Rice...lol...you just like to argue...

Like to argue?? And I guess you are Miss Congenitalltly, lol. I hadn't read that, I still don't think anything will happen from this, it's a one time news cycle deal, much like Kapernick was.

bleudog

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 04, 2016, 09:53:36 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/pdf/academics/2014-15/handbook.pdf

Starts at page 27...

"As a student-athlete at the University of Arkansas, you are a public figure often subject to much scrutiny by the public.  As such, you are responsible for representing the University in the most positive way.  Your behavior must be exemplary at all times and meet the expectations of your teammates, coaches, the University, and the public at large."

ricepig

Quote from: bleudog on November 04, 2016, 10:15:32 pm
"As a student-athlete at the University of Arkansas, you are a public figure often subject to much scrutiny by the public.  As such, you are responsible for representing the University in the most positive way.  Your behavior must be exemplary at all times and meet the expectations of your teammates, coaches, the University, and the public at large."

So, you'd pull their scholarships?

bleudog

November 04, 2016, 10:29:54 pm #82 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:32:41 pm by bleudog
Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 10:23:28 pm
So, you'd pull their scholarships?

Disciplinary procedures are listed on page 37 of CVS's link.  They include temporary suspension or reprimand.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bleudog on November 04, 2016, 10:29:54 pm
Disciplinary procedures are listed on page 37 of CVS's link.  They include temporary suspension or reprimand.

Facts don't mean alot to some on here...they just want to see it their way. Listen, everyone has opinions and are entitled to how they believe. However, if Jeff Long and Dummy Dykes wanted to do something there is an avenue they can follow. They just don't have any backbone to do it. Make no mistake about it, this WILL effect Dykes more than Long. Dykes will take the most heat especially if he doesn't win. What is going to be interesting is if the men's team does this. If they do I will have lost what little respect I had for Mike...
Another thing, Maynard G. Krebbs and myself calling Jeff Long doesn't mean anything...but if a major donor makes a call and pulls support something will happen...they are just very lucky that Maynard and myself aren't Billionaire donors to the Hogs because Dykes would have been shown the door yesterday...lol...

nastynice

November 05, 2016, 07:39:34 am #84 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:42:57 am by nastynice
Quote from: Fred Bird on November 04, 2016, 06:04:41 pm
Not the point we're trying to make. We're not arguing about the constitution, we're arguing about right vs wrong and common sense. You don't create unity by make making more division. Anyone with any sense knows you don't solve a problem by creating bigger problems. It will never end because those that supposedly feel oppressed don't want it to end.
You have to want to solve a problem to get it solved.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 05, 2016, 07:18:35 am
Facts don't mean alot to some on here...they just want to see it their way. Listen, everyone has opinions and are entitled to how they believe. However, if Jeff Long and Dummy Dykes wanted to do something there is an avenue they can follow. They just don't have any backbone to do it. Make no mistake about it, this WILL effect Dykes more than Long. Dykes will take the most heat especially if he doesn't win. What is going to be interesting is if the men's team does this. If they do I will have lost what little respect I had for Mike...
Another thing, Maynard G. Krebbs and myself calling Jeff Long doesn't mean anything...but if a major donor makes a call and pulls support something will happen...they are just very lucky that Maynard and myself aren't Billionaire donors to the Hogs because Dykes would have been shown the door yesterday...lol...

The fact is the Chancellor, AD, and head coach have shown through their statements, that these ladies haven't violated any conduct code, that's the only facts. You and I may not like it, but they've only violated the code in your eyes. Opinion isn't fact.

AirWarren

Quote from: nastynice on November 05, 2016, 07:39:34 am
Not the point we're trying to make. We're not arguing about the constitution, we're arguing about right vs wrong and common sense. You don't create unity by make making more division. Anyone with any sense knows you don't solve a problem by creating bigger problems. It will never end because those that supposedly feel oppressed don't want it to end.
You have to want to solve a problem to get it solved.

Exactly.

bleudog

November 05, 2016, 09:08:34 am #87 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:10:45 am by bleudog
Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2016, 08:36:06 am
The fact is the Chancellor, AD, and head coach have shown through their statements, that these ladies haven't violated any conduct code, that's the only facts. You and I may not like it, but they've only violated the code in your eyes. Opinion isn't fact.

Rice, it seems to be the AD's opinion that is the fact wagging the dog.

The protest political action didn't meet the expectations of the team as they didn't all participate.
While he has waffled since then for some reason, the expectations of the coach (as illustrated in the 11/11/15 video linked posted by Romeo in post #54) were not met.
It would appear the expectations of the vast majority of the public at large have not been met.

Three out of four ain't bad.  But one out of four is the world we live in today.

ricepig

Quote from: bleudog on November 05, 2016, 09:08:34 am
Rice, it seems to be the AD's opinion that is the fact wagging the dog.

The protest political action didn't meet the expectations of the team as they didn't all participate.
While he has waffled since then for some reason, the expectations of the coach (as illustrated in the 11/11/15 video linked posted by Romeo in post #54) were not met.
It would appear the expectations of the vast majority of the public at large have not been met.

Three out of four ain't bad.  But one out of four is the world we live in today.

The Chancellor waffled? I guess I failed to read his other statements on this. Again, they've not violated the code, so I guess it's a moot point.

The players have their right to kneel, that's what we fought and have won battles for, it doesn't mean we have to like it. The coach can adjust playing time as he sees fit, he's left girls behind at home(Rutgers last year), so he'll have to do as he sees what's best for his team.

chaoslord

November 05, 2016, 09:40:26 am #89 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:53:45 am by chaoslord
EDIT: Have thought better about trying to get involved in a discussion about this

AirWarren

Quote from: chaoslord on November 05, 2016, 09:40:26 am
EDIT: Have thought better about trying to get involved in a discussion about this

Good choice.

It will turn into blacks vs whites and liberals vs conservative.

Never mind right Vs wrong.

NEA Razorback olfan

Besides getting attention, mainly as unpatriotic U of A players, what is their plans to make a real change?  I believe every American has their right to protest in a repectful manor. Peeing on the graves who gave their life for this Nation is not one of them.

AirWarren

November 05, 2016, 07:38:21 pm #92 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:42:07 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 05, 2016, 07:35:39 pm
Besides getting attention, mainly as unpatriotic U of A players, what is their plans to make a real change?  I believe every American has their right to protest in a repectful manor. Peeing on the graves who gave their life for this Nation is not one of them.

That generation of youth behind me had one goal in life. Become a social media firestorm through "making a statement".

Then finishing college with a bachelor in underwater basket weaving and moving back in with momma and daddy for 15 years.

beach bum

Quote from: kahnny on November 04, 2016, 06:20:55 pm

I think he is either not fully supportive by not kneeling or hypocritical by kneeling.

Really good post. And welcome to Fearless...

AirWarren

Really proud of coach Mike Anderson and his team during exhibition game. He stood for the anthem and his kids followed suit. Protest your beliefs on your own time. But when you have the opportunity to represent your state, your school, and your country in unity in a time where our country is vulnerable, do it. It shows unity not division.

Kudos men's basketball team.

beach bum

November 05, 2016, 08:32:52 pm #95 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:34:49 pm by beach bum
Quote from: AirWarren on November 05, 2016, 08:03:15 pm
Really proud of coach Mike Anderson and his team during exhibition game. He stood for the anthem and his kids followed suit. Protest your beliefs on your own time. But when you have the opportunity to represent your state, your school, and your country in unity in a time where our country is vulnerable, do it. It shows unity not division.

I have always thought MA as a good man to lead young men and have always wanted him to succeed because the person he is. You can tell he came from humble roots. I believe he probably had a heart to heart with his players and said what you just said. I imagine he said not to do this in the Hog uniform. MA is perfect to not only lead young black men, but all young men.

bleudog

November 05, 2016, 10:10:23 pm #96 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:41:26 pm by bleudog
Quote from: AirWarren on November 05, 2016, 08:03:15 pm

Quote from: beach bum on November 05, 2016, 08:32:52 pm
I have always thought MA as a good man to lead young men and have always wanted him to succeed because the person he is. You can tell he came from humble roots. I believe he probably had a heart to heart with his players and said what you just said. I imagine he said not to do this in the Hog uniform. MA is perfect to not only lead young black men, but all young men.

+1 to the men's basketball team. 

I'm not sure if they met the expectations of the University, but they met the expectations of their teammates, coaches and the public at large.

bleudog

November 05, 2016, 10:29:23 pm #97 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:44:58 pm by bleudog
Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2016, 09:25:30 am
The Chancellor waffled? I guess I failed to read his other statements on this. Again, they've not violated the code, so I guess it's a moot point.

The players have their right to kneel, that's what we fought and have won battles for, it doesn't mean we have to like it. The coach can adjust playing time as he sees fit, he's left girls behind at home(Rutgers last year), so he'll have to do as he sees what's best for his team.

I never saw the Chancellor's statement.  The Coach is the one who crawfished.  He went from a very passionate video on Veteran's Day of 2015 that clearly indicated his expectations of his players, to a statement that these young women pretty much have carte blanche to express political beliefs while on the University's time.  My guess is he was following his boss' instructions on how the incident should be handled.

I agree with you that the players have the right to express their political opinions.  I disagree that their doing so while they are involved in a game was exemplary behavior and met the expectations of their teammates, coaches, the University, and the public at large.

When is the next game?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2016, 08:36:06 am
No, that's your opinion and Long and Dykes...not the majority...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 05, 2016, 10:29:59 pm
No, that's your opinion and Long and Dykes...not the majority...

Oh, Ok, glad you straightened that out, lol.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas