Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Monday, September 24th, 2018.
Week 3 Review
Southside's Coleman Week 3 POW
Week 2 Review
Harrison's Johnson is Week 1 Player of the Week
Week 1 Review
Searcy's Wright Player of the Week for Week 0
Week 0 Review

Author Topic: Big 1 little 13  (Read 4518 times)

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
Re: Big 1 little 13
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2017, 04:15:03 pm »
your data is outdated. The sec went 6-7 in this last bowl season for a percentage below .500. The sec is still a strong conference but outside of Bama no team strikes fear in anybody like they did 4-5 years ago. The golden era of sec football is over.

No sir. Not outdated.  I gave props to ACC for being better last year plus referred to info over past quarter of a century or so.   

Yes; 6-7 and in title game again is better than 4-2 and not a sniff.   Try harder.  I've read much better trolling by you in the past.  And have thoroughly enjoyed the jostling.

Offline WPWells

• Formerly 12th Man
  • Hall of Famer
  • Be strong in The Lord and never give up hope
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2017, 04:23:45 pm »
Okay, I'm interested to know how the Little 1G was better than the SEC last year

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2017, 04:53:33 pm »
No sir. Not outdated.  I gave props to ACC for being better last year plus referred to info over past quarter of a century or so.   

Yes; 6-7 and in title game again is better than 4-2 and not a sniff.   Try harder.  I've read much better trolling by you in the past.  And have thoroughly enjoyed the jostling.
I was pointing out the 8 wins and 80% win percentage as outdated which in fact, it is. The conference has slid into mediocrity, there is no denying that. BTW. I enjoy the jostling too. It's the fun of message boards.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2017, 04:56:52 pm »
The SEC is on it's slide because the schools paid coaches too much with insane buyouts to guys who couldn't handle the pressure of an SEC job.... Sadly, we are one of the handful of examples at Arkansas.

Offline cuckoobird

• Hall of Famer
  • Know Your Role Boulevard
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2017, 12:35:40 pm »
+1 beach bum

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 07:49:01 pm »
The SEC is on it's slide because the schools paid coaches too much with insane buyouts to guys who couldn't handle the pressure of an SEC job.... Sadly, we are one of the handful of examples at Arkansas.
that's for sure. The coaching lineup in the sec isn't quite up to the level it was during the run of national championships.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2017, 03:59:37 pm »
that's for sure. The coaching lineup in the sec isn't quite up to the level it was during the run of national championships.

SEC Media days had me thinking... Here are my SEC coaches rankings while I am at it

West
1.Nick Saban- do I even need to explain... The guy is an icon

2.Gus Malzahn- when he has a duel threat in his offense they are deadly. They'll win 10 games this year and would have last year had they had a healthy QB/RB combo all year

3.Dan Mullen- besides last year the guy has gotten way more out of Miss State than anyone could have ever asked for someone to do

4.Hugh Freeze- He can beat Saban, not many others can say that

5.Ed Orgeron- they played well once he got on board last year

6.Kevin Sumlin- he keeps beating Bert so he can't be last

7.The Head Hog- when can we get rid of this guy?

East
1.Jim McElwain- it may be ugly but you can't argue with back to back SEC East titles

2.Derek Mason- winning 6 or 7 games a year at Vanderbilt is not as easy as it seems.... this shows you how bad the SEC coaches are when I have to rank him 2nd in the East

3.Mark Stoops- almost same reasons as above but for Kentucky

4.Kirby Smart- I think he will eventually get them straightened, they still should have never fired Richt though

5.Barry Odom- not enough track record yet to put lower

6.Will Muschamp- ever heard of empty promises?

7.Butch Jones- seems about as bright as the coach we have....

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2017, 06:00:35 pm »
SEC Media days had me thinking... Here are my SEC coaches rankings while I am at it

West
1.Nick Saban- do I even need to explain... The guy is an icon

2.Gus Malzahn- when he has a duel threat in his offense they are deadly. They'll win 10 games this year and would have last year had they had a healthy QB/RB combo all year

3.Dan Mullen- besides last year the guy has gotten way more out of Miss State than anyone could have ever asked for someone to do

4.Hugh Freeze- He can beat Saban, not many others can say that

5.Ed Orgeron- they played well once he got on board last year

6.Kevin Sumlin- he keeps beating Bert so he can't be last

7.The Head Hog- when can we get rid of this guy?

East
1.Jim McElwain- it may be ugly but you can't argue with back to back SEC East titles

2.Derek Mason- winning 6 or 7 games a year at Vanderbilt is not as easy as it seems.... this shows you how bad the SEC coaches are when I have to rank him 2nd in the East

3.Mark Stoops- almost same reasons as above but for Kentucky

4.Kirby Smart- I think he will eventually get them straightened, they still should have never fired Richt though

5.Barry Odom- not enough track record yet to put lower

6.Will Muschamp- ever heard of empty promises?

7.Butch Jones- seems about as bright as the coach we have....

Does freeze fall when/if the NCAA drops the hammer?

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2017, 06:14:51 pm »

Oh yes, the NCAA is quite slow when it comes to that stuff so he will probably sadly still be in Oxford even when 2020 hits.

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2017, 06:54:09 pm »
dead man walking.

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2017, 01:04:35 pm »
Just pondering a few things. What if FSU beats Alabama? What if Bama has that down year ( 3 losses would be down for them) and the rest of the sec stays mired in the mediocrity that it settled into last year. Is this the year that the CFP does not include a team from the sec? Something to think about.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2017, 02:05:09 pm »
Just pondering a few things. What if FSU beats Alabama? What if Bama has that down year ( 3 losses would be down for them) and the rest of the sec stays mired in the mediocrity that it settled into last year. Is this the year that the CFP does not include a team from the sec? Something to think about.

I actually thought that Alabama could end up with 2 losses this season. If they lose to Florida State I think that they will almost certainly lose a second one to LSU or Auburn, more than likely Auburn. Alabama's defense won't quite be at the same level. It will obviously be good, but not out of this world. I could see this being a year that maybe 3 of these teams in any combination coming from Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia all being 10-2 and them all finishing between like 5 and 12 in the rankings and being left out of the playoffs entirely. Alabama losing to Florida State does put the SEC at risk of being entirely left out if no one finishes 11-1 before the SEC title game. I think you are on to something that could likely happen.

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2017, 02:25:03 pm »
Same thinking here.  But if Alabama beats FSU then they have the inside track like usual and all is well in the SEC......

I love it when any fans outside the SEC look for us to eventually have an "off" year.   I thought it was 2014 when we only got to the National semi finals and I think we were 7-3 in bowl games.

Offline mtindian42

• Head Coach
  • MATTHEW 19:26
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2017, 03:06:49 pm »
Very interesting!

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2017, 05:47:35 pm »
Same thinking here.  But if Alabama beats FSU then they have the inside track like usual and all is well in the SEC......

I love it when any fans outside the SEC look for us to eventually have an "off" year.   I thought it was 2014 when we only got to the National semi finals and I think we were 7-3 in bowl games.
I would think as an sec fan you're hoping the off year of 2016 doesn't get any deeper. I don't have a problem with the sec champion making the playoffs. I would really prefer it to be someone besides Alabama. I would love for Bama to have 2 or (dare to dream) 3 losses. The sec has provided such little resistance that to expect it to happen isn't realistic.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2017, 07:23:03 pm »
I would think as an sec fan you're hoping the off year of 2016 doesn't get any deeper. I don't have a problem with the sec champion making the playoffs. I would really prefer it to be someone besides Alabama. I would love for Bama to have 2 or (dare to dream) 3 losses. The sec has provided such little resistance that to expect it to happen isn't realistic.

I can't remember the exact year.... It was Mallet's junior year as quarterback here at Arkansas I think, but I remember that was the last time Alabama lost 3 games in a season when Cam Newton was a senior and Auburn won the national title. It could have been an 8-4 Alabama season, but Arkansas choked away beating Alabama here in Fayetteville too. The next week Marcus Lattimore and South Carolina steam rolled Alabama if I remember right. Saban had just started his string of constant #1 classes and did not have this unreal depth yet so the league got him that year before it became impossible it seems.

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2017, 06:53:25 pm »
Some pretty bad football played by sec teams today. Mizzou couldn't score. a td. At home. Against Purdue.........Purdue!?! Tenn v Fl was a war of attrition. Ugly stuff.

Offline Longfellow

• Assistant Coach
  • Call me Fellow, Longfellow
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2017, 07:00:21 pm »
Some pretty bad football played by sec teams today. Mizzou couldn't score. a td. At home. Against Purdue.........Purdue!?! Tenn v Fl was a war of attrition. Ugly stuff.
Most rankings had Purdue ranked higher than Missouri in preseason

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2017, 07:02:39 pm »
SEC needs some coaches bad

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2017, 07:06:16 pm »
Anyone that thinks that SEC is still king of college football and head and shoulders above everyone else isn't being honest with themselves. There is seriously some awful football being played in this conference. Imagine how bad BB would have looked at Arkansas in the SEC dominance of the late 2000's and beginning of this decade. He can't even win with some absolutely horrible teams in this conference right now.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2017, 07:08:49 pm »
The emergence of some ACC teams last year and what looks like a few more Big Ten schools forming decent teams in the middle of their pack to go along with the Big Ten top dogs as been the biggest things to jump out in college football the last two years. They have better coaches right now to get the players they want.

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2017, 07:15:10 pm »
Most rankings had Purdue ranked higher than Missouri in preseason
it kind of points to the continued erosion of play in the sec. Mizzou won two sec east division titles in the last 5 years. Purdue wins three games a year. Quite a contrast.

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2017, 07:21:07 pm »
I see them winning with less talent and even beating SEC teams. A few new guys just starting in the SEC but CB, Sumlin, Davis, McElwain, Malzahn are not getting it done. Not just wins and losses these teams look poorly coaches for the talent they have. In two years Ogeron will be in the same boat, hasn't kept a program going at any place he has been at.

Saban, Mullens and the guys in first or second year are the only ines that are safe

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2017, 07:49:00 pm »
I see them winning with less talent and even beating SEC teams. A few new guys just starting in the SEC but CB, Sumlin, Davis, McElwain, Malzahn are not getting it done. Not just wins and losses these teams look poorly coaches for the talent they have. In two years Ogeron will be in the same boat, hasn't kept a program going at any place he has been at.

Saban, Mullens and the guys in first or second year are the only ines that are safe
I agree with this

Offline sevenof400

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Head Coach
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2017, 06:57:20 am »
To all who maintain the quality of play in the SEC is down, that thought really extends to all of college football.  The sport has become unwatchable for reasons both on and off the field - it's past time for some changes if the game is to reverse this trend.

40 years (or so) ago, 30/95 started a number of changes and reforms meant to strengthen more teams.  Clearly it is once again time for additional changes of that magnitude. 

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2017, 10:04:56 am »
To all who maintain the quality of play in the SEC is down, that thought really extends to all of college football.  The sport has become unwatchable for reasons both on and off the field - it's past time for some changes if the game is to reverse this trend.

40 years (or so) ago, 30/95 started a number of changes and reforms meant to strengthen more teams.  Clearly it is once again time for additional changes of that magnitude.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.... 130 DI teams is absurd. It's all about money to the NCAA. And having 85 scholarships is stupid too. So a 4th string free safety needs a scholarship  ???  ..... I know they get that much because the money they bring in. I don't even like baseball, but there are studs on some college baseball teams as walk ons while football teams can sign anyone they want and then ship them to 4th string to never see the field all while on scholarship.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:06:31 am by beach bum »

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2017, 01:06:34 pm »
I agree with this wholeheartedly.... 130 DI teams is absurd. It's all about money to the NCAA. And having 85 scholarships is stupid too. So a 4th string free safety needs a scholarship  ???  ..... I know they get that much because the money they bring in. I don't even like baseball, but there are studs on some college baseball teams as walk ons while football teams can sign anyone they want and then ship them to 4th string to never see the field all while on scholarship.

Or just recruit those guys so they won't go somewhere else where they'd actually play and compete against them...

Offline Longfellow

• Assistant Coach
  • Call me Fellow, Longfellow
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2017, 01:07:56 pm »
Or just recruit those guys so they won't go somewhere else where they'd actually play and compete against them...
Classic Saban

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2017, 06:49:37 pm »

The big dogs definitely utilize this for sure...

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2017, 09:32:15 am »
Bama has won 18 sec games in a row by an average of 23 points. Man do I want to see them go down.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
  • Warren, AR. Home of football and futbol champions
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2017, 09:45:09 am »
Saquan Barkley is fun to watch.

Offline BigLion10

• 12th Man's Vice President
  • Head Coach
  • I can do all things with Christ who strengthens me
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2017, 09:57:24 am »
Saquan Barkley is fun to watch.
No doubt about it, could be hoisting the Heisman later this year

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2017, 02:51:34 pm »
No doubt about it, could be hoisting the Heisman later this year
no doubt. After the game he had at Iowa he has to be the front runner. Great player.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center