General > After the Whistle

Knife Review. Taylor Made Old Timer 8OTW STOCKMAN

(1/13) > >>

Lions84:
When Schrade closed in 2004 I thought I had lost my favorite knife company and when Taylor bought the rights and started turning out substandard knives I thought my fears were confirmed. Fast forward to Dec 2015 and I scored one for cheap of Ebay.

I got on old OT8 from the 1980's that I compared it too. 
Same size weight, fit and finish.
Mine new used one is in Ironwood.
OT8 Carbon and this new one got High Carbon SS about the same to the Old Uncle Henry Line's from Schrade had back then.  Easy to sharpen and it stayed sharp with nothing more than some stropping on some Cardboard.

So while I found my new one for 4 bucks Ebay they are running under 50 bucks for all models at TRS or Amazon for their standard EDC Classic Pocket knifes.   

Lions84:
Give Taylor made Old Timer and Uncle Henry knifes a shot they are worth it.

Lions84:
Still holding a edge and working just fine !

Lions84:
Got another a Old Timer this time the 280 OT Barlow.   This one had a few issues on the fit and finish : the brass pins were not properly set and I had to put the knife on the anvil and use my machinist hammer to get them set properly.  Then I hit them with a fine file and made them flush with the scales on the side of the knife.  Other than that it looks great except it got a extra strong finger nail busting pen blade backspring.  Blades were paper cutting sharp out of the box.

Maynard G Krebs:

--- Quote from: Lions84 on February 01, 2016, 10:23:06 am ---Got another a Old Timer this time the 280 OT Barlow.   This one had a few issues on the fit and finish : the brass pins were not properly set and I had to put the knife on the anvil and use my machinist hammer to get them set properly.  Then I hit them with a fine file and made them flush with the scales on the side of the knife.  Other than that it looks great except it got a extra strong finger nail busting pen blade backspring.  Blades were paper cutting sharp out of the box.

--- End quote ---

Your toolbox which includes a machinist hammer, anvil and a fine file trumps my Globemaster all in one tool ($1.89)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version