• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Public vs Private Schools Pile (Past/Present/Future/All Classes)

Started by MDXPHD, December 17, 2015, 03:12:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Quote from: Wheremytax$go on October 02, 2021, 01:06:35 pmYou know, the public school gets all my tax money. Not one red cent goes to the private school where my children actually attend. That is not an equivalent action.

Boo hoo hoo.

Don't pay for private school. No one is twisting your arm.

Walter

Quote from: Wheremytax$go on October 02, 2021, 01:06:35 pmYou know, the public school gets all my tax money. Not one red cent goes to the private school where my children actually attend. That is not an equivalent action.
Your choice

AirWarren

friscokid

Subiaco is the rule that proves the exception. It's a boarding school that doesn't have the luxury of bonding a peewee and junior high program from grade school on up. I don't know if they've won a junior high game since 1980. I think the AAA could and should vote an exemption from the 1-class bump for them.

Walter

If I understand the new rules correctly Subiaco will be move down one classification. Whether or not a school is moved up or down is based on there won lost record as well.

beach bum

I don't have kids of my own and never will yet I gladly pay my property taxes each year to go toward my local public school. It's called being a good citizen. I think no matter your fiscal ideas for government/taxes almost everyone thinks our tax dollars should go toward our youth before anything. Should I be on here too saying I shouldn't contribute to my local schools? Go take your terrible argument elsewhere for a choice you personally made to send your children to private school. I've even defended private schools through the reclassification argument on these threads but your post is baseless. Your thought process is part of the bigger issue we have in society that so many people no longer have a sense of community anymore. It's why when I travel to road games and still come across these towns who still have that community feel I have grown an appreciation for them.

beach bum

Dozer112

Quote from: AirWarren on October 02, 2021, 01:22:19 pmBoo hoo hoo.

Don't pay for private school. No one is twisting your arm.

Quote from: beach bum on October 04, 2021, 02:07:44 pmI don't have kids of my own and never will yet I gladly pay my property taxes each year to go toward my local public school. It's called being a good citizen. I think no matter your fiscal ideas for government/taxes almost everyone thinks our tax dollars should go toward our youth before anything. Should I be on here too saying I shouldn't contribute to my local schools? Go take your terrible argument elsewhere for a choice you personally made to send your children to private school. I've even defended private schools through the reclassification argument on these threads but your post is baseless. Your thought process is part of the bigger issue we have in society that so many people no longer have a sense of community anymore. It's why when I travel to road games and still come across these towns who still have that community feel I have grown an appreciation for them.
Quote from: beach bum on October 04, 2021, 02:07:44 pmI don't have kids of my own and never will yet I gladly pay my property taxes each year to go toward my local public school. It's called being a good citizen. I think no matter your fiscal ideas for government/taxes almost everyone thinks our tax dollars should go toward our youth before anything. Should I be on here too saying I shouldn't contribute to my local schools? Go take your terrible argument elsewhere for a choice you personally made to send your children to private school. I've even defended private schools through the reclassification argument on these threads but your post is baseless. Your thought process is part of the bigger issue we have in society that so many people no longer have a sense of community anymore. It's why when I travel to road games and still come across these towns who still have that community feel I have grown an appreciation for them.

So which of you good citizens will support my children? Right now, I'm supporting mine and yours...which is part of the problem. It is not my job as a tax-paying citizen to support your family. My first responsibility is to my family, which is why I don't entrust my children to the public schools. And you're right, no one is twisting my arm, but they're sure as heck picking my pocket.

AirWarren

Quote from: Wheremytax$go on October 05, 2021, 07:49:14 pmSo which of you good citizens will support my children? Right now, I'm supporting mine and yours...which is part of the problem. It is not my job as a tax-paying citizen to support your family. My first responsibility is to my family, which is why I don't entrust my children to the public schools. And you're right, no one is twisting my arm, but they're sure as heck picking my pocket.

Haha.

My taxes pay for gubment programs that I don't agree with. And many other things.

If you remember correctly, and if my poor sap public school education taught me, there is a little thing called taxation without representation. Learned about it I believe in 9th grade civics at lowly Warren Jr high school.

Spit in one hand and crap in the other. Everyone pays taxes that they hate. I hate seeing my paycheck go to the gubment. I hate paying end of the year income taxes.

Boo. Hoo. Hoo. Save the BS "I care for my kids more than you".

The Fair comes once a year and today is not today. Sorry.

AirWarren

Quote from: Wheremytax$go on October 05, 2021, 07:49:14 pmSo which of you good citizens will support my children? Right now, I'm supporting mine and yours...which is part of the problem. It is not my job as a tax-paying citizen to support your family. My first responsibility is to my family, which is why I don't entrust my children to the public schools. And you're right, no one is twisting my arm, but they're sure as heck picking my pocket.

Do you get a tax return every year for your kids? Or break for your income taxes as a credit for having X amount of kids?

Yup. You do. You can thank AW's taxes. Ones of which I have no say to where they go.  I don't give a rats arse about your kids. They ain't my problem. Why should my income taxes fuel your kids tax credit they give you?

Oh....pandemic checks. You get some pandemic checks?  You getting a kid  check for the pandemic? Not my problem if y'all starve but that check sure came out(will come out of) my taxes without my consent. 

panther07

Taxation is theft. Send your kids where you want to send them. This is all far too dramatic most of the time. It's a game amongst teenagers who majority don't care about the outcome an hour after it's over.

Maynard G Krebs

I am depressed to learn there is no Beach Bum, Jr. 😀.   BTW, it's never too late to correct this!

Trojan_rep

Quote from: friscokid on October 04, 2021, 01:23:16 amSubiaco is the rule that proves the exception. It's a boarding school that doesn't have the luxury of bonding a peewee and junior high program from grade school on up. I don't know if they've won a junior high game since 1980. I think the AAA could and should vote an exemption from the 1-class bump for them.

It is time for the aaa to pay attention after 20+ years of suffering for this school (referring to football) Get them out of 8man and allow for legitimate 11 man football competition again.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: panther07 on July 21, 2021, 05:49:42 pmNick Smith transferring to NLR... crazy how this works. Where's the outrage?

Depending on how this goes, looks like this won't age well. Ruled ineligible for now. But they did make sure he was staying with his father who relocated and moved into the NLRSD area only 3 minutes away from the school, not within a 25 mile radius of NLR or outside the school zone.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Trojan_rep on October 06, 2021, 02:56:38 pmIt is time for the aaa to pay attention after 20+ years of suffering for this school (referring to football) Get them out of 8man and allow for legitimate 11 man football competition again.

Part of the competitive balance factor is that private schools can also be dropped if they don't reach a minimum of 3 competitive balance points in the 4 year cycle. So in Subiaco's case before they got to they started playing 8 man, they would have dropped from 4A to 3A since they wouldn't have recorded any points for conference titles or winning a playoff game.

panther07

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 25, 2021, 12:44:29 pmDepending on how this goes, looks like this won't age well. Ruled ineligible for now. But they did make sure he was staying with his father who relocated and moved into the NLRSD area only 3 minutes away from the school, not within a 25 mile radius of NLR or outside the school zone.

No no. I'm talking about the outrage here. In this arena. Nobody here showed up with their pitchforks. It aged fine.

Do you not see how what you said is actually and advantage in metro areas though? He moved a few miles and SHOULD be eligible. If it were a private move a few miles, he has to sit.

I want him eligible by the way

Sweet Feet

Quote from: panther07 on October 25, 2021, 01:00:48 pmNo no. I'm talking about the outrage here. In this arena. Nobody here showed up with their pitchforks. It aged fine.

Do you not see how what you said is actually and advantage in metro areas though? He moved a few miles and SHOULD be eligible. If it were a private move a few miles, he has to sit.

I want him eligible by the way

Moving isn easy for a lot people. Not a lot of parents are willing to move homes just for their kids to be eligible at another school for 2-3 years. Some couldn move even if they wanted to, or couldn't afford it. Whereas a private school for competitive purposes have a 25 mile radius in which a kid can go to school at without the inconvenience of having to move residencies.

If NLR was a private school, Smith's dad wouldn't have had to move anywhere, even if he lived in Conway, Cabot, or Benton.  decent sized metro areas benefit both public and private schools in different ways regarding access to athletes.

panther07

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 25, 2021, 07:42:01 pmMoving isn easy for a lot people. Not a lot of parents are willing to move homes just for their kids to be eligible at another school for 2-3 years. Some couldn move even if they wanted to, or couldn't afford it. Whereas a private school for competitive purposes have a 25 mile radius in which a kid can go to school at without the inconvenience of having to move residencies.

If NLR was a private school, Smith's dad wouldn't have had to move anywhere, even if he lived in Conway, Cabot, or Benton.  decent sized metro areas benefit both public and private schools in different ways regarding access to athletes.

Sure. He could go to school there. Just as he could at NLR. But he has to sit. He's ineligible. Just as he was ruled here, if they stick with it.

In searcy, if a player wanted to transfer from Searcy High to HA, he has to sit a year. Period.

panther07

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 25, 2021, 12:50:25 pmPart of the competitive balance factor is that private schools can also be dropped if they don't reach a minimum of 3 competitive balance points in the 4 year cycle. So in Subiaco's case before they got to they started playing 8 man, they would have dropped from 4A to 3A since they wouldn't have recorded any points for conference titles or winning a playoff game.

My understanding is you can't ever go below your one class bump they put in place however long ago.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: panther07 on October 25, 2021, 07:49:47 pmSure. He could go to school there. Just as he could at NLR. But he has to sit. He's ineligible. Just as he was ruled here, if they stick with it.

In searcy, if a player wanted to transfer from Searcy High to HA, he has to sit a year. Period.

He has to sit, but the trade-off is he doesnt have the inconvenience of having to move residencies. Its a mixed benefit. now of course you dont wanna transfer your junior year or you are done, but if players and parents play it right, they can attend freshman year and still have 3 years of eligibility like a lot of 10-12 high schools in the smaller towns. all without moving.

Like i said, its benefits and tradeoffs to both public and private schools in metro areas. But the same way a one year sitout can make transferring to a private school difficult, school zones and cost of living/quality of areas can make it tricky for public to public transfers.

HA could have kids all over searcy or white county in general in jr high in time to be eligible all 4 years in high school, versus some public schools who can only have a fraction of the town to have kids because of school zones. Put it this way, if Searcy had 3 main public high schools, all three would have to split the city to have students due to zones, whereas HA could pick any kid from any where not just in Searcy, but in their 25 mile radius. There in itself lies the main advantage, especially the lower in classification you go with all sports.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: panther07 on October 25, 2021, 07:57:18 pmMy understanding is you can't ever go below your one class bump they put in place however long ago.

from the article i read, they didn make mention of staying in the same class regardless. they said if you get 2 points or fewer, you can be downgraded. that would work for teams like Subiaco and Baptist Prep in football.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 25, 2021, 07:42:01 pmMoving isn easy for a lot people. Not a lot of parents are willing to move homes just for their kids to be eligible at another school for 2-3 years. Some couldn move even if they wanted to, or couldn't afford it. Whereas a private school for competitive purposes have a 25 mile radius in which a kid can go to school at without the inconvenience of having to move residencies.

I can't believe how people can't seem to understand the 25-mile rule.  I will try to simplify this. 

The 25-mile radius is for any student transferring to say Shiloh and lives within a 25-mile radius is not eligible to play. So basically, nobody from NWA can transfer to Shiloh and play without sitting out a year.

25 miles is the current rule.  A 50-mile radius is worse for the privates.  A 1-mile radius would be to Shiloh's benefit or any private school.

So one more time.  Big number bad, little number good.  It is not a school district or anything equivalent to one. 

That number is the opposite of how most on here reference it in post. 

Sweet Feet

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on October 26, 2021, 02:17:26 pmI can't believe how people can't seem to understand the 25-mile rule.  I will try to simplify this. 

The 25-mile radius is for any student transferring to say Shiloh and lives within a 25-mile radius is not eligible to play. So basically, nobody from NWA can transfer to Shiloh and play without sitting out a year.

25 miles is the current rule.  A 50-mile radius is worse for the privates.  A 1-mile radius would be to Shiloh's benefit or any private school.

So one more time.  Big number bad, little number good.  It is not a school district or anything equivalent to one. 

That number is the opposite of how most on here reference it in post. 

I can't believe how people are seriously trying to make out this 25-mile rule as if its some kind of major disadvantage while editing what the AAA handbook actually says.

"A student transferring from a public school to a nonpublic school may meet the domicile requirement and be immediately eligible for interscholastic athletic participation if the student enrolls by July 1 before entering the 7th grade... Students enrolling in a nonpublic school after the period provided for immediate eligibility above shall be ineligible for 365 days. After July 1 prior to entering the 7th grade, a student whose parents live outside a 25-mile radius of a nonpublic school must make a bona fide move to within a 25-mile radius of the school that the student will attend to become eligible."

So in other words using Shiloh for example, they can enroll any kid they want from Springdale, Fayetteville, Bentonville, and essentially all of NWA before they reach 7th grade to where they have all 4 years of eligibility in high school. All while a vast majority the parents in that 25 mile radius have the convenience of not having to move or switch residences.

And even if they don't reach the deadline, private high schools are 9-12 schools with a 4 year window of eligibility, which is what a lot of people don't catch. Most public high schools (especially from 5A on down) are 10-12 high schools with a 3 year window of varsity eligibility. It's nothing for a private school transfer to sit his freshman year at Shiloh and still have 3 years of eligibility just like most of the 4A public schools he plays.

panther07

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 26, 2021, 04:10:27 pmI can't believe how people are seriously trying to make out this 25-mile rule as if its some kind of major disadvantage while editing what the AAA handbook actually says.

"A student transferring from a public school to a nonpublic school may meet the domicile requirement and be immediately eligible for interscholastic athletic participation if the student enrolls by July 1 before entering the 7th grade... Students enrolling in a nonpublic school after the period provided for immediate eligibility above shall be ineligible for 365 days. After July 1 prior to entering the 7th grade, a student whose parents live outside a 25-mile radius of a nonpublic school must make a bona fide move to within a 25-mile radius of the school that the student will attend to become eligible."

So in other words using Shiloh for example, they can enroll any kid they want from Springdale, Fayetteville, Bentonville, and essentially all of NWA before they reach 7th grade to where they have all 4 years of eligibility in high school. All while a vast majority the parents in that 25 mile radius have the convenience of not having to move or switch residences.

And even if they don't reach the deadline, private high schools are 9-12 schools with a 4 year window of eligibility, which is what a lot of people don't catch. Most public high schools (especially from 5A on down) are 10-12 high schools with a 3 year window of varsity eligibility. It's nothing for a private school transfer to sit his freshman year at Shiloh and still have 3 years of eligibility just like most of the 4A public schools he plays.

It's simply your opinion that sitting out isn't a big deal. My opinion is it is a big deal and it matters. I know you feel very enlightened on the Subject, but you're now arguing opinion.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: panther07 on October 26, 2021, 05:15:52 pmIt's simply your opinion that sitting out isn't a big deal. My opinion is it is a big deal and it matters. I know you feel very enlightened on the Subject, but you're now arguing opinion.

Its opinion on the perception of sitting out, but the facts remain the same. You still can have 3 years of eligibility as a private school transfer like a lot of 10-12 Public High Schools with only 3 years of varsity eligibility. I base my opinion of sitting out on that fact

beach bum

Find me one kid with the slightest bit of competitive bone in his body that wants to sit out a year willingly?

........... You won't! It is a massive deal that a kid who goes to a private school has to sit out.

bartonbear53

Panther07, Coach McClellan told any player that played at Barton that they must live in the district. Not many private school kids would have started in Bartons hay day.  I left and went to Barton because I wanted to be coached by The Greatest of all time.

As far as private schools, there seems to be way more recruitment and scholarships being given out now than in the early to mid 2000's. PA has more kids on the sideline now than ever before. Teams like them and Harding should be one classification above where they compete because they can cook their books.

beach bum

Quote from: bartonbear53 on November 27, 2021, 07:56:12 amPanther07, Coach McClellan told any player that played at Barton that they must live in the district. Not many private school kids would have started in Bartons hay day.  I left and went to Barton because I wanted to be coached by The Greatest of all time.

As far as private schools, there seems to be way more recruitment and scholarships being given out now than in the early to mid 2000's. PA has more kids on the sideline now than ever before. Teams like them and Harding should be one classification above where they compete because they can cook their books.

I thought they already are one class above where their numbers show? Isn't Shiloh already playing schools double their enrollment and PA sometimes three times its enrollment? I think dwindling participation for football in schools have helped widen the gap for private schools where I feel they have been not hit as hard as the majority of public schools. The thing is how is that the private schools fault? Its more a socioeconomic thing than a recruiting issue and again that is no fault to private school kids. I do believe in helping give opportunities to underprivileged but at the same time you shouldn't punish those who are thriving.

On a side note I appreciate your insight as you were apart of one of the best programs at one time in Arkansas history coming from Barton.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas