• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Band or music playing while the other team had the ball

Started by BigLion10, October 07, 2015, 03:49:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigLion10

I was attending a game Friday night and whenever team B the visiting team was in the huddle the band for team A would play or they would play some music until they lined up on the ball. Is that not illegal?

PA Dad

That's a good question.  In PA's game last week, the opposing team's band played ALL the time, even when PA was running plays (but they also played when their own team was running plays).  I wondered if there is some rule against that.

B2 Stealth Bomber

From The AAA handbook on sportsmanship:  Bands are not to be used to disrupt an opponent's game. At football games bands and any component thereof (e.g. drums), shall not play when the opposing team is inside the opponent's
twenty-yard line moving toward or away from their own goal.

WPWells

So as long as the ball isn't inside the 20, the band can play

PA Dad

Busman

And officials CANNOT do anything to enforce this. It is outside their jurisdiction.

BigLion10

bdubyab60

It is up to the home team admin. 20 to 20 the band can play all they want. Depends on the band director. We had one band director played not matter what team had the ball and only quit when we were inside the 20 (it should be noted that they wre asked to tone it down lol). Then the next director would play 20 to 20 and during timeouts no matter who had the ball. Director now doesnt do much unless a timeout or firstdown or score.

BigLion10

They should do something to enforce the rules because they were playing inside the 20 lol

Jimbo Morphis

it is a rule that will never be enforced much like cow bells and airhorns.

Coach Venny Slocombe

And it shouldn't...dear lord if players can't play with noise they shouldn't be playing. The AAA in their infinite wisdom don't want bands playing or cowbells but has yet to figure out the conference and classification alignments and for the that matter how to out the Private schools where they belong...

JUST PLAY FOOTBALL!

arreferee

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 08, 2015, 09:52:19 am
And it shouldn't...dear lord if players can't play with noise they shouldn't be playing. The AAA in their infinite wisdom don't want bands playing or cowbells but has yet to figure out the conference and classification alignments and for the that matter how to out the Private schools where they belong...

JUST PLAY FOOTBALL!

I agree.  Try hearing the band in some of the SEC stadiums.  The crowd is so loud, you can't even hear the band.

Jimbo Morphis

JUST PLAY FOOTBALL!
I agree. as long as they don't let some 5th grader paint their face, lol.

The Future

Well I don't have any AAA rulebook or sources at my side, but I do have my experience.

What we were told when I was in band was the band is no different than the fan noise. The band playing a song while the teams are about to run a play is no different than the fans on both sides screaming or cheering or chanting. I agreed with it and still do.

We played at any time during the game. Whether a team was about to snap the ball, or a timeout, or during the play, or whenever. The only exception we did here at Greenwood was if the teams were on the side of the field where we were (usually within the redzone, maybe a bit closer) we would play normally during the play, after the play, or timeouts. But if we happened to be playing while the offense was getting down and ready to snap, our drum major would signal for us to play quietly until after the snap. Then it was back to playing normal. Just common courtesy. This was because the band section was behind the field goal facing the field. If we were at away games up in the stands further back from the field, we didn't bother playing quietly.

This was during football games. During basketball games we were told we could basically only play during timeouts. I just figured it was because in the small high school arena, the band would be so loud and take away from the feel of the game. Yes the fans can scream all they want, but its still not as loud as a band.

Anyways theres my 2 cents.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

I just wish our band WOULD  play during the game! They play fight song if we score and thats about it.  Head down to warm up for halftime with 8 minutes to go in half, so they dont play then. And are gone for the whole 3rd quarter and most of 4th sometimes after halftime performance.  To me, the band helps the players get pumped, it adds to the atmosphere. Not in Eldo

Longfellow

I was always told we couldn't play while the ball was being snapped, and also that we couldn't play during a non-injury official timeout, like a measurement or something. But I played football too, so I was on the field

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Oldman on October 08, 2015, 10:58:33 am

JUST PLAY FOOTBALL!
I agree. as long as they don't let some 5th grader paint their face, lol.
lol...yep...

bdubyab60

Quote from: Oldman on October 08, 2015, 09:39:37 am
Visitirs had a air horn lost night at our junior high game. Our principal got the ref and asked them not to use it anymore. Didn't agree with it they we're using at the appropriate times I thought.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: bdubyab60 on October 09, 2015, 06:23:00 am
Quote from: Oldman on October 08, 2015, 09:39:37 am
Visitirs had a air horn lost night at our junior high game. Our principal got the ref and asked them not to use it anymore. Didn't agree with it they we're using at the appropriate times I thought.
where? was it an adult or a kid?

bdubyab60

Lions84

Our Band plays during the game and only stops when the Offical announces what the flag was for ,if someone get hurt and when our team got the ball.

doober3

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Lions84 on October 09, 2015, 09:20:39 am
Our Band plays during the game and only stops when the Offical announces what the flag was for ,if someone get hurt and when our team got the ball.
we're talking about Arkansas, not in mexico.

Gray lizard

I may just be getting old but this loud music played at most games is getting to me.  For crying out loud even at Pee Wee games.  I coach a Pee Wee team and I can not even talk to my boys before the game due to how loud the music is. And yes they do it at our field also.

Rulesman

I'm with 'ya lizard, which is why I avoid NBA games. When I want loud music I go to a concert.

Paperman

Quote from: Rulesman on October 15, 2015, 12:10:22 pm
I'm with 'ya lizard, which is why I avoid NBA games. When I want loud music I go to a concert.
So true!

Lions84

Quote from: Oldman on October 09, 2015, 03:01:07 pm

UIL and AAA are about equal in head scratching decisions.  Some crews are very uptight about it and some just don't seem to care.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Lions84 on October 29, 2015, 10:13:03 am

UIL and AAA are about equal in head scratching decisions.  Some crews are very uptight about it and some just don't seem to care.
not up to officials in Arkansas.

Proud Buckaroo

Oldman,

I'm offended that Mcgehee's band didn't try to taunt us with their horns!

Lions84

Quote from: Oldman on October 29, 2015, 01:37:09 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on October 29, 2015, 10:13:03 am

not up to officials in Arkansas.

Well in ARK and Texas the District Officials all seem to have bigger fish to fry unless the Crew calls them about it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas