• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is a serious challenger to JC this year??

Started by THA TRUTH, April 24, 2014, 08:48:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

THA TRUTH

BrianfromCarlisle

Nobody and that is no offense to anyone.  I just think they are going to be untouchable.

HorseFeathers

Junction City JV will challenge J.C this year :D

THA TRUTH

I was thinking maybe bearden but outside them idk don't know how much Earle has

HorseFeathers

Quote from: THA TRUTH on April 24, 2014, 10:11:57 pm

Seriously....I think
A. Bearden--They host the dragons again, and usually pose the biggest threat to J.C
B. Rison--Been a while since the Wildcats have won a game against the Dragons(4 years and it was a rare win in Junction City)...but I don't guess anything is out of the question for a program with as much tradition as this one...
C. Earle--Semi-Final run in 3A...don't know what they bring back this year...

THA TRUTH

How's the schedule work out to where jc is at bearden again?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: THA TRUTH on April 24, 2014, 10:24:18 pm
How's the schedule work out to where jc is at bearden again?

New Cycle/Conference realignment jazz...you guys got "screwed" by it...

big E

They are now what Barton was then but that being said momma always said you dont have to mess with a good thing it will take care of its self.It did then and it will now but not this year im afraid.

Lions84

Yep Big E JC run reminds me of Barton in the 1980's too.  JC will need to get 3A Charleston, or Harding Academy on the schedule to get a in season challenge.

HorseFeathers

Smackover is supposedly as good as those two going into next year. Guess we'll see week 1. .

jbtiger73

as far as 2A teams go though, I think it will be down to Bearden and Earle. Earle will be starting a young (soph.), but very talented and mobile QB this season. if he can develop throughout the season with the talent he has around him, they will definitely be there in the end at WMS with JC. but Bearden still has that QB I believe. unless it rains in the playoffs again, expect them to contend as well.

Jimbo Morphis

new coach at west memphis could open the pipeline to earle. they always get one or two. maybe more this year.

gatecrasher

BrianfromCarlisle

April 25, 2014, 04:32:36 pm #13 Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:34:24 pm by BrianfromCarlisle
Don't steal my answer gate!!!  Lol

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: HF on April 24, 2014, 10:19:04 pm
Quote from: THA TRUTH on April 24, 2014, 10:11:57 pm

C. Earle--Semi-Final run in 3A...don't know what they bring back this year...

Bulldogs lose their top two rushers from last year but will be moving up Gary Bohannon to play quarterback.

They also have a 1,000 yard rusher back who will be just a junior and will have senior Tevin Scott at receiver.

Earle's defensive line will be strong as well with Markus Lane and Tavarres Richardson on the scene. Each had double-digit sacks last year.

To be honest, as much as Earle lost, they may have replaced it all. Especially if Bohannon gets to a quarterback camp or two over the summer.

THA TRUTH

Bearden is like that little brother that get a good shot in on big brother but can't come through when it matters

Lions84

crmorrow24

Don't sleep on the Go-Devils, they have alot of skill coming back next year.  But it will be hard to replace AK at QB.  Coach Jackson will have them ready to play every Friday night no matter the opponent.

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on April 24, 2014, 09:00:54 pm
Nobody and that is no offense to anyone.  I just think they are going to be untouchable.

Even though you say you mean no offense, you really do. But that's ok!

Bearden held JC to 8 last year with a chance to tie before fumbling late and now the Bear's returns one of the largest sr. classes in recent history. Now I'm not going to analyze the WMS game last year (let that dead horse lay) , but if that is what you are basing your reasoning on, your conference is weaker than we thought. I really like the Bear's schedule this year with only three road games and having JC @ Bearden. It's the road game to Rison after JC that is concerning for me. If the Bear's do not take care of business with JC(or even if they do) they have Rison there the following week and this may be a tough one to get up for after JC.

BrianfromCarlisle

Are you trying to be Rick Schafer?  Lol. No, it is actually no offense to anyone.  They are just going to be that much better than anyone else.  Bearden may very well give them the best game.  Doesn't mean it will be close.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on May 01, 2014, 03:20:25 pm
Are you trying to be Rick Schafer?  Lol. No, it is actually no offense to anyone.  They are just going to be that much better than anyone else.  Bearden may very well give them the best game.  Doesn't mean it will be close.

With all the expectations for Junction CIty this year...it kind of reminds me of Springdale in '05. We'll have some poster brag about their team scoring the most on them, and not having the mercy rule put in to effect until the 3rd qtr :D

THA TRUTH

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on May 01, 2014, 10:07:37 am

Bearden held JC to 8 last year with a chance to tie before fumbling late and now the Bear's returns one of the largest sr. classes in recent history. Now I'm not going to analyze the WMS game last year (let that dead horse lay) , but if that is what you are basing your reasoning on, your conference is weaker than we thought. I really like the Bear's schedule this year with only three road games and having JC @ Bearden. It's the road game to Rison after JC that is concerning for me. If the Bear's do not take care of business with JC(or even if they do) they have Rison there the following week and this may be a tough one to get up for after JC.

Held jc to 8? The final was 20-6 and y'all's one td came when bell comitted a roughing the passer on 4th down and y'all got the ball at the five

bleudog

May 01, 2014, 07:59:59 pm #22 Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:02:01 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Backwoods Bart on May 01, 2014, 10:07:37 am

???

Quote from: bleudog on September 22, 2013, 10:40:52 am
SN post game article:  CLICK HERE

THA TRUTH

My bad 13 I forgot fancy fumbled inside the 5 going in in another score

mtindian42

cuz

Quote from: HF on April 25, 2014, 09:54:57 am
Smackover is supposedly as good as those two going into next year. Guess we'll see week 1. .
With the merging of Norphlet, Smackover could be a challenge....

THA TRUTH

Like norphlet has anything to offer smack will be good off of their own kids and norphlet will not improve them that much if any

cuz

Norphlet always has a few very good athletes and as in most 2a schools a few more athletes of  good caliber could make a difference in depth or winning a game...........

THA TRUTH

Yea and when they do have those athletes they leave to go to other schools especially since the school shut down football

bleudog

May 04, 2014, 11:59:48 am #29 Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:48:56 pm by bleudog
Most of these games were while Smackover and JC were in the same district.

2001   JC W, 33 - 0                     
2002   JC W, 35 - 0                      
2003   JC W, 61 - 0                  
2004   JC W, 50 - 6                  
2005   JC L, 21 - 41                      
2006   JC W, 51 - 0                     
2007   JC W, 48 - 0                     
2008   JC W, 40 - 7               
2009   JC W, 49 - 0

But hey, past performance is no guarantee of future results and Smackover is coming off a 12 win season.  They have as good a chance as anybody to snap the Dragon streak. 

Point of clarification though, the Norphlet/Smackover consolidation won't be final until the ADE vote this Thursday.  I'm still interested to see if El Dorado will object to the plan.  I understand when Mt Holly (Smackover) and Union (El Dorado) had to consolidate, there was a gentleman's agreement where they would go since neither larger school wanted to take in two smaller schools at once.  It's easy to see with the high school El Deaux built, they've got the room for the Leopards.

Even with an approval of the submitted plan by ADE, the districts won't be fully merged until 2015-2016.  It looks like Norphlet will try to field one more football team for a farewell tour of the 2A in 2014-2015.  The merger agreement for 2014-2015 would be that Norphlet students could only participate in extra curricula activity at Smackover in 2014-2015 if the activity is not offered at Norphlet.

Last I looked, Norphlet was right at about 100 students for AAA classification purposes.  In 2015-2016, Smackover could find themselves one of the largest 3A schools or one of the smallest 4A schools.  I'm not sure when the first AAA realignment is after the consolidation is, but where the new Bucards fall could be interesting.

MarionBlueDevil

Trivia question: Who was the last team to defeat Junction City?

I know it. Do you know it?

thabeast428

Believe it was Earle year before last in a monsoon lol

HorseFeathers

How'd that game go for Earle last year, with a team that made the 3A semi-finals though?

bleudog

Quote from: thabeast428 on May 04, 2014, 08:15:13 pm

It was a dark and stormy night in a land far, far away. 8)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bleudog on May 04, 2014, 08:30:44 pm

You telling me the dragons don't like to travel anymore? Used to be the 2A school fields in West Arkansas was the Dragons 2nd home :D

bleudog

May 04, 2014, 09:05:14 pm #35 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:09:18 pm by bleudog
Quote from: HF on May 04, 2014, 08:36:26 pm

You telling me the dragons don't like to travel anymore? Used to be the 2A school fields in West Arkansas was the Dragons 2nd home :D

Hey, become a Dragon and see the state.  When you're situated half a dozen or so blocks from a state border, there are a lot of places far, far away. 

The U$C trip was a little before my time, but I'll never forget the '05 season that ended with wins at Jessieville and at Harding Academy then a semi final loss at Charleston.  That in conference butt whoopin' from Smackover caused me to put a few miles on the family ride. >:(

Although now that you mention it, Paul H. Muse Field-North does have a nice "ring" to it for a certain piece of real estate located just off I-630. ;D

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bleudog on May 04, 2014, 09:05:14 pm
Quote from: HF on May 04, 2014, 08:36:26 pm

Hey, become a Dragon and see the state.  When you're situated half a dozen or so blocks from a state border, there are a lot of places far, far away. 

The U$C trip was a little before my time, but I'll never forget the '05 season that ended with wins at Jessieville and at Harding Academy then a semi final loss at Charleston. 

Although now that you mention it, Paul H. Muse Field-North does have a nice "ring" to it for a certain piece of real estate located just off I-630. ;D

Ha! Next you'll be campaigning to rename the playoffs to the Junction City Dragon Invitational :D

MarionBlueDevil

Right you are!

However, that was in week 1 of 2012, so maybe that reflects better on the Dragons than it does the Bulldogs.

Having said that, had the two schools signed up for another home-and-away then we all win in that scenario. Guess we'll have to settle for deciding it at War Memorial Stadium in December.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas