• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the wing-t will and can work!!!!!

Started by westmem, December 19, 2013, 07:17:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lions84

Quote from: whippersnapper on December 20, 2013, 12:41:07 pm
When ran CORRECTLY the wing t offense is darn near impossible to stop. I havent seen an Arkansas team run the offense to its full capabilities. Otherwise I think more would run it.

Barton did for 63 games in a row.

Locutus

cuckoobird

Locutus

Yes, yes, yes, I know. We are so lucky that we never have to play those class B powerhouses.

HorseFeathers

Barton did it with less than thirty players most years. . . Imagine what kind of monster frank mclellan could have created with he resources a 7a school has at their disposal. . . .

Locutus

Again, he didn't do it in the 7A West. There are no "what if's" when comparing the two.

cuckoobird

The 7a west is just a johnny come lately league.

Locutus

cuckoobird

Lions84

April 08, 2014, 10:35:27 am #59 Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:49:42 am by Lions84
Folks at one time in the 1980s the Barton Booster Club had a $5,000 dollar gate guarantee it later was expanded to $10,000 for any one who would sign a home and home with Barton and NO ONE in the State took them up on it. So While the 7A West is all high and mighty now back in the 1980s none of your schools had the GUTS to tie it on with the Bears. 

cuckoobird

Quote from: Lions84 on April 08, 2014, 10:35:27 am
Folks at one time in the 1980s the Barton Booster Club had a $5,000 dollar gate guarantee it later was expanded to $10,000 for any one who would sign a home and home with Barton and NO ONE in the State took them up on it. So While the 7A West is all high and mighty now back in the 1980s none of your schools had the GUTS to tie it own with the Bears.
+1

Locutus

Hilarious, 30 years ago the 7A West didn't even exist. Don't know if Barton even has a team anymore, but I would be willing to bet $10,000, that if they want to host even the worst team in our conference, they would get pounded. You guys that live in the past, just can't let go of it. It's time to take down those Confederate flags in front of your double wide, and accept the fact that nobody cares about "well back in the day when I was a senior" crap.

mack

Quote from: Lions84 on April 08, 2014, 10:35:27 am
Folks at one time in the 1980s the Barton Booster Club had a $5,000 dollar gate guarantee it later was expanded to $10,000 for any one who would sign a home and home with Barton and NO ONE in the State took them up on it. So While the 7A West is all high and mighty now back in the 1980s none of your schools had the GUTS to tie it own with the Bears.

I have nothing but respect for Barton.  I have nothing but respect for small schools that compete well and establish winning traditions.  That being said, even 30 years ago, it's doubtful that Barton would have competed well with the largest class in the state, which was probably 4A at the time.  Barton had great athletes, but the law of large numbers says that the larger school would have had more great athletes.  They would have worn Barton down.  That's just the truth of it.

Mr_Deb

I have a lot of respect for barton as well!

Wish they'd keep us in a lower classification, good grief.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Locutus on April 08, 2014, 04:02:20 pm
Hilarious, 30 years ago the 7A West didn't even exist. Don't know if Barton even has a team anymore, but I would be willing to bet $10,000, that if they want to host even the worst team in our conference, they would get pounded. You guys that live in the past, just can't let go of it. It's time to take down those Confederate flags in front of your double wide, and accept the fact that nobody cares about "well back in the day when I was a senior" crap.

You mean like you do everytime you lord that 5-0 record Har-Ber has over Cabot?

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 07, 2014, 07:35:57 pm

Yep...some don't realize that the 7A West North of Fort Smith weren't the powehouses they are today..until the population explosion of northwest arkansas happened.

Lions84

And we don't care for folks who disregard History and Tradition, As for Trailers I never lived in one we had a nice slab based Home my Dad and Uncle built and paid for in 1976.  My Parents still live in it.  We try to be nice and respectful here so please stop your putting down of 3/4 of the state.

mack

Quote from: Lions84 on April 09, 2014, 09:53:02 am

And we don't care for folks who disregard History and Tradition, As for Trailers I never lived in one we had a nice slab based Home my Dad and Uncle built and paid for in 1976.  My Parents still live in it.  We try to be nice and respectful here so please stop your putting down of 3/4 of the state.

Heck,,, I have a nice single wide on the lake that I like more than my house in town......

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: mack on April 09, 2014, 11:18:32 am
Heck,,, I have a nice single wide on the lake that I like more than my house in town......

Is it true that Mr. Perfect is the queen of your single wide trailer?

Lions84

I had one on the Lake for years .  That not my issue it being disrespected.

mack

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 09, 2014, 11:51:16 am

Only when he's oiled up in a NLR unitard............................................

Locutus

Quote from: HF on April 09, 2014, 09:15:14 am

You mean like you do everytime you lord that 5-0 record Har-Ber has over Cabot?

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 07, 2014, 07:35:57 pm
At least it's the more recent past.

Yep...some don't realize that the 7A West North of Fort Smith weren't the powehouses they are today..until the population explosion of northwest arkansas happened.

Coach Alley

April 09, 2014, 12:56:02 pm #71 Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:01:53 pm by MRPRFCT
Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 09, 2014, 11:51:16 am

Wow. From a mod. Amazing.

FF Rules
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

Locutus

You left out the part about, no whining. Must have been an oversight on your part.  ;D

Burpsnart

Iknewthemwhen

Still lots of schools around the country that run this offense and win, win, win.   There is more to it than just bucksweep.

Mr_Deb

yea that's true they do still not everybody has the same kind of situation going...

it's basically two versions wingT teams derive their philosophy from delaware and bay city types... WM leans a lot more towards the latter.

WMWRECKINGCREW

WM need to run from wing T as fast as people ran from the wishbone. Let it go.  It's not working. Low crowds, low wins and no talent that colleges can use.  If you turn on the tv and can't see your system out of all these college and pro teams then let it go.

Mr_Deb

April 27, 2014, 02:17:52 pm #77 Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:45:50 pm by devil_kid
Quote from: WMWRECKINGCREW on April 27, 2014, 09:25:04 am
WM need to run from wing T as fast as people ran from the wishbone.

dang copyright got my bear ;D

this should do

Mr_Deb

Mr_Deb

Iron Owl

+1!

Iron Owl

So since you don't see Guz Malzohn's modified shotgun Wing T in the NFL, he should scrap it??

Mr_Deb

spread option is a fairly new concept..

MarionBlueDevil

I'm telling y'all, I'm hearing good things about Mark Uhiren.

He got burnt out at Marion. Too much expected for so few resources.

Look at the entire body of work with the Patriots. Imagine what he could do in West Memphis. Just ignore 2012 and 2013. Those were aberrations.

For West Memphis, here's another chance to top Marion! By stealing their greatest football coach in history! It's the ultimate one-up move, I just hope that the administration has the balls to pull the trigger.

Iron Owl

Quote from: MarionBlueDevil on April 29, 2014, 01:42:49 am
I'm telling y'all, I'm hearing good things about Mark Uhiren.

He got burnt out at Marion. Too much expected for so few resources.

Look at the entire body of work with the Patriots. Imagine what he could do in West Memphis. Just ignore 2012 and 2013. Those were aberrations.

For West Memphis, here's another chance to top Marion! By stealing their greatest football coach in history! It's the ultimate one-up move, I just hope that the
administration has the balls to pull the trigger.
:-)

minerjack

Don't bash one of the most legendary coaches in Arkansas history.  He won 63 straight, 111 conference games straight, 367 wins, and 8 state championships.  Numerous players to the NFL.  He must have been doing something right.

Iron Owl

Lions84

Quote from: whippersnapper on December 20, 2013, 12:41:07 pm
When ran CORRECTLY the wing t offense is darn near impossible to stop. I havent seen an Arkansas team run the offense to its full capabilities. Otherwise I think more would run it.

Go back and find film of Barton running it during their 60 game win streak back in the mid 1980's !  Frank had it humming like a Singer Sewing Machine.

Major A. Martin Boothroyd

Junction City used to run a version of the Wing T along with the Wishbone in the late 90's and early 00's.  I would say they did it to a great effectiveness.

7AFBFAN

Does anyone know the highest finish in state last year in any classification for a team that runs this type of offense?

cuckoobird

7AFBFAN

May 15, 2014, 03:50:10 pm #91 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:56:56 pm by 7AFBFAN
I am thinking about offenses like Cabot, WM, Rogers. Maybe that is considered the veer?

Yes, the Naval Academy, Georgia Tech, Cabot, Barton, Des Arc, Booneville, ect. It can be run from multiple formations. Typically the most popular is the double slot or double wing.  But it can also be run from the Wishbone, Wing T, Split Back, or Dead T, or even the I-Formation. The offense, though, is called the veer. The veer is used in multiple forms, such as Outside Veer, Inside Veer, Midlines, ect.  It was invented in the mid-60's by Bill Yeoman at the University of Houston.

7AFBFAN

Now that is a plethora of information. Thank you for sharing.

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on May 15, 2014, 09:39:06 pm
Now that is a plethora of information. Thank you for sharing.
Of course. I've had much experience with the veer in my day. If I'm not mistaken, the division II college Carson-Newman still uses variations of the splitback veer. That would be the original veer that which Yeoman used at the University of Houston.

phdefense

Quote from: Major A. Martin Boothroyd on May 15, 2014, 06:01:58 pm
Yes, the Naval Academy, Georgia Tech, Cabot, Barton, Des Arc, Booneville, ect. It can be run from multiple formations. Typically the most popular is the double slot or double wing.  But it can also be run from the Wishbone, Wing T, Split Back, or Dead T, or even the I-Formation. The offense, though, is called the veer. The veer is used in multiple forms, such as Outside Veer, Inside Veer, Midlines, ect.  It was invented in the mid-60's by Bill Yeoman at the University of Houston.
Many of these mentioned offenses are run based, but go about it in much different ways. Lumping them together does not do them justice. For example you mentioned the "Veer" and Double wing. The are both typically run out of the double wing/slot formation, but that is where their similarities end. The Veer is a triple option attack out of this formation. While the Double Wing gets it done by putting overwhelming numbers of blockers at the point of attack. Sometimes you will even see the QB pitch it and then go block. And the Wing-T a misdirection offense is different still focusing on motion, angle blocking and pulling guards.

Mr_Deb

multiple veer type would have been nice at WM.... beggggged for it once, those quinton sparkman/quinton smith types would have been hard to stop in that.

we've got a dynamite offense now.... Spread I-form whatever.... the best part is how the players are going to bloom into the positions!

phdefense

Quote from: devil_kid on May 16, 2014, 10:33:20 pm
multiple veer type would have been nice at WM.... beggggged for it once, those quinton sparkman/quinton smith types would have been hard to stop in that.

we've got a dynamite offense now.... Spread I-form whatever.... the best part is how the players are going to bloom into the positions!
You actually are pretty close. Elmore uses a truly multiple offense with the spread, single back & I-formation being the most prominent. There is also a Dead-T package for short yardage situations.

Quote from: phdefense on May 16, 2014, 02:09:30 pm
Quote from: Major A. Martin Boothroyd on May 15, 2014, 06:01:58 pm
Many of these mentioned offenses are run based, but go about it in much different ways. Lumping them together does not do them justice. For example you mentioned the "Veer" and Double wing. The are both typically run out of the double wing/slot formation, but that is where their similarities end. The Veer is a triple option attack out of this formation. While the Double Wing gets it done by putting overwhelming numbers of blockers at the point of attack. Sometimes you will even see the QB pitch it and then go block. And the Wing-T a misdirection offense is different still focusing on motion, angle blocking and pulling guards.
Most of these formations that I mentioned that run the veer have to have traps, end traps, cross buck traps, quick pitches, buck sweeps, and midlines to complement the offense.  The double wing is a formation. Not an offense. As is the Wing T. Formation. Not an offense.

Beaver Fever

right and wrong, you are confusing formations with philosophy. The Double wing is an offensive philosophy based around double teams and outnumbering people at the Point of attack.  Just because you line up with 2 TE and 2 WB doesn't mean your a double wing team,  it is a philosophy just as the wing t is.  You can run the wing t out of many formations, even the shotgun.  Each philosophy has a set of principles that dictates blocking schemes.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas