• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the wing-t will and can work!!!!!

Started by westmem, December 19, 2013, 07:17:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Major A. Martin Boothroyd

o                  o o B o o              o
                  o     Q      o       

o

This is the double wing formation.

O               O O B O O                O
                        Q               O
                        O
                        O

This is the I-Formation.

Just because these two formations are different, I can run the same offense. Just from a different look. The veer or triple offense can easily be run from this formation; as well as traps, lead options, and buck sweeps even.

Like Beaver said, I can run the veer or triple option, a pro style offense, or even the West Coast offense from this formation.

I could have multiple spread formations and still run the triple option offense by motioning my slot receiver to be my pitch man. Along with the buck sweep by bringing my receiver in motion.

Beaver Fever

Actually the formation at the top is a double slot.  A wing is outside of the TE.

OOOXOOO
  O      Q      O
          O
This is a double wing

Traditionally, the formation at the top is called the Flexbone. But no one calls it that anymore.  And for it to be called the double wing, yes, there must be a guard, tackle, and tight end. But no one gets that technical anymore. Both formations are referred as both the double wing and double slot. With the double tight set a formation branched off the single tight or no tight end.

phdefense

Quote from: Major A. Martin Boothroyd on May 20, 2014, 10:31:12 am
Quote from: phdefense on May 16, 2014, 02:09:30 pm
Quote from: Major A. Martin Boothroyd on May 15, 2014, 06:01:58 pm
Yes, the Naval Academy, Georgia Tech, Cabot, Barton, Des Arc, Booneville, ect. It can be run from multiple formations. Typically the most popular is the double slot or double wing.  But it can also be run from the Wishbone, Wing T, Split Back, or Dead T, or even the I-Formation. The offense, though, is called the veer. The veer is used in multiple forms, such as Outside Veer, Inside Veer, Midlines, ect.  It was invented in the mid-60's by Bill Yeoman at the University of Houston.
Many of these mentioned offenses are run based, but go about it in much different ways. Lumping them together does not do them justice. For example you mentioned the "Veer" and Double wing. The are both typically run out of the double wing/slot formation, but that is where their similarities end. The Veer is a triple option attack out of this formation. While the Double Wing gets it done by putting overwhelming numbers of blockers at the point of attack. Sometimes you will even see the QB pitch it and then go block. And the Wing-T a misdirection offense is different still focusing on motion, angle blocking and pulling guards.
Most of these formations that I mentioned that run the veer have to have traps, end traps, cross buck traps, quick pitches, buck sweeps, and midlines to complement the offense.  The double wing is a formation. Not an offense. As is the Wing T. Formation. Not an offense.
Maybe you should tell Don Markham that. It is both.

phdefense

Quote from: Major A. Martin Boothroyd on May 20, 2014, 01:54:54 pm
Traditionally, the formation at the top is called the Flexbone. But no one calls it that anymore.  And for it to be called the double wing, yes, there must be a guard, tackle, and tight end. But no one gets that technical anymore. Both formations are referred as both the double wing and double slot. With the double tight set a formation branched off the single tight or no tight end.
Wrong the Flexbone is an offense not a formation.

Quote from: phdefense on May 20, 2014, 05:11:17 pm
No, "Flexbone" was a term created by Fisher DeBerry at the Air Force Academy while acknowledging his "offense needs to be more flexible in the Bone." However, the formation was created by Coach Ellison two decades before. 

You run the veer or option or triple option out of the Flexbone, or splitback, or double slot formation. Or you run the West Coast offense from the splitback or I-formation or even the Flexbone or double wing as Beaver referred to it earlier.  Or you run the pro style offense from the I formation, shotgun, or pro set.

You run the option out of the Flexbone formation. You don't run the Flexbone offense.

phdefense

May 21, 2014, 12:28:35 am #106 Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:35:08 am by phdefense
Quote from: Major A. Martin Boothroyd on May 20, 2014, 05:59:57 pm
Quote from: phdefense on May 20, 2014, 05:11:17 pm
No, "Flexbone" was a term created by Fisher DeBerry at the Air Force Academy while acknowledging his "offense needs to be more flexible in the Bone." However, the formation was created by Coach Ellison two decades before. 

You run the veer or option or triple option out of the Flexbone, or splitback, or double slot formation. Or you run the West Coast offense from the splitback or I-formation or even the Flexbone or double wing as Beaver referred to it earlier.  Or you run the pro style offense from the I formation, shotgun, or pro set.

You run the option out of the Flexbone formation. You don't run the Flexbone offense.
Says the person that does not know a double slot from a double wing.

Double Slot

Double Wing

In case you didn't know you lost your credibility when you said the Double Wing was not an offense.
http://www.coachmarkham.com/  <<<<<<Click it and learn

I am sure you learned a great deal from the one person who taught you, but you really need to expand your knowledge before you presume to come on here and correct people.

It's seems you know a little about the triple option and it's variants. There is a lot more to learn about the myriad of other formations and offenses. Go do it.

fastdrop

All I know is that I am tickled to death that I am done watching that offense and defenses that stack 10 in the box and shuts it down,

http://www.americanfootballmonthly.com/Arena/NS_Magazine/Current/clinic01.html

This article shows the transition from formation to formation in the triple option. It shows the offense is the triple option. Not the double slot offense.

http://www.fbforyouth.com/PickingO.html

Under Figure 1: typical offensive formations. From there down.

The double wing would be considered a dead offense as Latin is considered a dead language. Still used in instances but exists only to be recognized as the origin of something else.

The double slot was formed from the double wing. The double wing isn't use as a default formation anymore but is considered an extension of the double slot.

Latin is considered as the origin of multiple languages. Portuguese, Italian, French, and Spanish are branched from Latin. Latin is displayed all over. But isn't considered to still be used.

Beaver Fever

You are still confusing formations with philosophy.  The double slot is typically used for the triple option(large splits to veer people)  and the double wing is used to overpower people (foot to foot splits to double team people).  You wouldn't what to use the double wing fundamentals out of a double slot formation or vise versa.  It would be hard to veer someone with foot to foot splits.  You need the TE to seal the gap created when the tackle and guard pull in the double wing.  The double wing is not dead, just not the fade right now.  It is actually holds the record for the highest scoring offense in the country.

phdefense

May 23, 2014, 04:05:33 pm #110 Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:08:23 pm by phdefense
Quote from: Major A. Martin Boothroyd on May 23, 2014, 11:47:04 am

This article shows the transition from formation to formation in the triple option. It shows the offense is the triple option. Not the double slot offense.

The double wing would be considered a dead offense as Latin is considered a dead language. Still used in instances but exists only to be recognized as the origin of something else.

The double slot was formed from the double wing. The double wing isn't use as a default formation anymore but is considered an extension of the double slot.

Latin is considered as the origin of multiple languages. Portuguese, Italian, French, and Spanish are branched from Latin. Latin is displayed all over. But isn't considered to still be used.
Wrong again. The Double Wing is a fairly new offense in the football world began in the 1990s. Also you have it backwards it was the Double Slot that gave birth to the Double wing. The Double Slot is known predominantly as the default formation for the "Run-n-Shoot" offense. Your special baby the Flexbone was just someone taking the triple option offense and running it from the double slot formation which already existed instead of the Wishbone which was the big fad at the time.

Click the link and continue your education.
http://www.coachwyatt.com/system.html

Quote from: phdefense on May 23, 2014, 04:05:33 pm

Wrong again. The Double Wing is a fairly new offense in the football world began in the 1990s. Also you have it backwards it was the Double Slot that gave birth to the Double wing. The Double Slot is known predominantly as the default formation for the "Run-n-Shoot" offense. Your special baby the Flexbone was just someone taking the triple option offense and running it from the double slot formation which already existed instead of the Wishbone which was the big fad at the time.

The Double Wing formation was invented by Glenn "Pop" Warner.  As well as the Single Wing.

Idoknow

May 23, 2014, 04:25:31 pm #112 Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:31:16 pm by Idoknow

Phdefense you know you and Beaver Fever are being set up by a person going by two usernames. Major Martin A. and minerjack2212 are the same person. He played for Jon Watson at Bauxite and is basing everything off of the Veer off. Coach Watson used to run. You questions his credibility and now you have it! BTW, he gets off by slapping posters, he's already slapped you 7 times since you question his credibility.

cuckoobird

May 23, 2014, 04:48:57 pm #113 Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:02:01 pm by cuckoobird
Quote from: Idoknow on May 23, 2014, 04:25:31 pm

Phdefense you know you and Beaver Fever are being set up by a person going by two usernames. Major Martin A. and minerjack2212 are the same person. He played for Jon Watson at Bauxite and is basing everything off of the Veer off. Coach Watson used to run. You questions his credibility and now you have it! BTW, he gets off by slapping posters, he's already slapped you 7 times since you question his credibility.
someone needs to slap you around a bit too...... too bad I have to wait another hour

Idoknow

May 23, 2014, 05:44:05 pm #114 Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:47:36 pm by Idoknow
Quote from: cuckoobird on May 23, 2014, 04:48:57 pm

someone needs to slap you around a bit too...... too bad I have to wait another hour
That's funny Koo, because when I first started posting on Waldron thread you were the first poster to send me a PM and tell me to hang in there! I still have it and know a little about the way it was sent. BTW you don't know the recent history about his and my private battle lately. I asked you once how you got all of those slaps on your karma and this is the way you're going to treat me with an unnecessary slap!

cuckoobird

Quote from: Idoknow on May 23, 2014, 05:44:05 pm

That's funny Koo, because when I first started posting on Waldron thread you were the first poster to send me a PM and tell me to hang in there! I still have it and know a little about the way it was sent. BTW you don't know the recent history about his and my private battle lately. I asked you once how you got all of those slaps on your karma and this is the way you're treat me with an unnecessary slap!
2 more minutes and it will be two

DogsWin7

That's funny Koo, because when I first started posting on Waldron thread you were the first poster to send me a PM and tell me to hang in there! I still have it and know a little about the way it was sent. BTW you don't know the recent history about his and my private battle lately. I asked you once how you got all of those slaps on your karma and this is the way you're going to treat me with an unnecessary slap!
[/quote]

I find all this information very interesting....anyone care to share what's going on with me....Please??

I get slapped around on here as much as anyone else, and quite frankly I don't care....in life there is no way possible to please everyone....you must try to live and enjoy each and every moment...now, since Uncle Jack seems to know so much, I'll go ahead and admit I slapped you both....but did it with a smile:) lol!!

cuckoobird

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on May 23, 2014, 06:37:48 pm

I find all this information very interesting....anyone care to share what's going on with me....Please??

I get slapped around on here as much as anyone else, and quite frankly I don't care....in life there is no way possible to please everyone....you must try to live and enjoy each and every moment...now, since Uncle Jack seems to know so much, I'll go ahead and admit I slapped you both....but did it with a smile:) lol!!
[/quote]I think someone has a vanity problem

DogsWin7

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 23, 2014, 07:04:47 pm

I think someone has a vanity problem
[/quote]

I didn't know that Cuckoobirds where known for strutting their feathers??

cuckoobird

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on May 23, 2014, 07:07:33 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on May 23, 2014, 07:04:47 pm

I think someone has a vanity problem

I didn't know that Cuckoobirds where known for strutting their feathers??
[/quote] ;D

DogsWin7

Good choice of music by the way....;) :)

cuckoobird

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on May 23, 2014, 07:10:41 pm
Good choice of music by the way....;) :)
Got to love the cougar!!!

@idoknow, 3 from me!!!  :P

phdefense

If nothing else this thread highlights the dangers of not knowing the difference between an offensive system and formation.

Locutus

Just more proof that it won't win championships in the 7A. Keep on with nearsightedness though.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas