• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bryant suing AAA

Started by ricepig, October 22, 2013, 09:00:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

Quote from: HF on November 01, 2013, 09:04:59 pm
Quote from: SouthpawSensation on November 01, 2013, 03:10:43 pm
Do you know what that sounds like? Seven closest schools, no matter their size.
That means Bryant could be in a conference with Benton, Bauxite, Benton Harmony Grove ... perhaps some Little Rock schools thrown in the mix ...

Can you imagine...Decatur vs Bentonville! I bet that would be a good ballga....oh nevermind. That's a terrible idea...

Makes sense to me - Russellville, Pottsville, Atkins, Dardanelle, Clarksville, Dover, Hector.  Playball!  ;D

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on November 01, 2013, 09:21:35 pm
Quote from: HF on November 01, 2013, 09:04:59 pm
Quote from: SouthpawSensation on November 01, 2013, 03:10:43 pm
Do you know what that sounds like? Seven closest schools, no matter their size.
That means Bryant could be in a conference with Benton, Bauxite, Benton Harmony Grove ... perhaps some Little Rock schools thrown in the mix ...

Can you imagine...Decatur vs Bentonville! I bet that would be a good ballga....oh nevermind. That's a terrible idea...

Makes sense to me - Russellville, Pottsville, Atkins, Dardanelle, Clarksville, Dover, Hector.  Playball!  ;D

Sadly with the way RUssellville has been in football the past few years, I don't think they'd win a conference title even in that conference :D And at least with Dover, Hector would have a win every season..

Valleysports

Russellville has done pretty well with 5A school MR!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on November 01, 2013, 10:51:50 pm
Russellville has done pretty well with 5A school MR!

Okay I'll give you that, but when Pottsville finally catches Russellville in enrollment(I think it's going to happen)...then it's game on between Russellville and Russellville East :D

SouthpawSensation

The day of reckoning soon approaches!
According to Bryant super Randy Rutherford, the school's lawsuit against the AAA is set for 9 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 3, in Pulaski County Circuit Court.
Get your popcorn ready. This fireworks show could get interesting!

ricepig

The case is in court today, the Bryant Super was quoted as saying the expect the judge to rule by Christmas. I saw this tidbit on twitter, the judge said the 7A/6A conference "made no sense" as far as geographical distinction.

Baitshop

Alright...when is the "crap or get off the pot" day on this..??

ricepig

Quote from: Baitshop on December 27, 2013, 04:20:20 pm
Alright...when is the "crap or get off the pot" day on this..??

Good question, maybe the judge is constipated??

Walter

The AAA is a pretty big turd to get out.

Brian G

Judges are off from Dec to Feb.

Baitshop

SouthpawSensation

This thing is really getting old. Decision needs to be made soon. Conference schedules are hanging in the balance because of it.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Simmer down folks...a decision will be made by September... ;D

Iknewthemwhen

Funny stuff. I spent the last bit reading this thread and it sounds like what I often hear out in public. Nobody thinks the AAA is doing a very good job, dont  think they are fair or impartial, feel like the board is just a good ole boy system.  Nothing changes because schools take care of their friends in hope of having the favor returned. Decisions of the AAA sure appear to be tainted with favoritism.  Don't know the answer but changes are needed in many aspects of AAA and Arkansas high school athletics.  if you have a member on the executive board you have a big advantage or if you have good friends in that group. how to fix? Some good suggestions on here but you are talking about educators (supers) making the call and look at some of those decisions.

SouthpawSensation

Two weeks later, and what do we have?
Not even crickets because they froze up with the last ice storm.
C'mon people, get your act together! Decide one way or the other so others can finish their preparations!

ricepig

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on January 20, 2014, 01:41:48 pm
Two weeks later, and what do we have?
Not even crickets because they froze up with the last ice storm.
C'mon people, get your act together! Decide one way or the other so others can finish their preparations!

Isn't it just person, the judge? Although I suppose backroom dealings are going on ordered by the judge?

SouthpawSensation

January 20, 2014, 03:27:53 pm #116 Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:58:01 pm by SouthpawSensation
I just know it's now been more than a month since the court date started. One would think that's plenty of time for anybody to come up with some decent answer. It's like they're trying to discover how to get blood out of turnips.
Another thing to ask: Does this lengthy delay favor Bryant or the AAA?

loyal fan

SouthpawSensation

Still up in the air. Judge hasn't made a decision yet.
It's starting to get frustrating because time is ticking away for some schools not even involved with the lawsuit.

Valleysports

"time is ticking away for some schools not even involved with the lawsuit."

What ya talking about Wilson

sevenof400

As each day passes with no decision,I find myself increasingly hoping Bryant wins this suit.  The chaos that would ensue should Bryant prevail would be a fitting end result because of AAA's stupidity and laziness.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 02, 2014, 10:33:34 am
As each day passes with no decision,I find myself increasingly hoping Bryant wins this suit.  The chaos that would ensue should Bryant prevail would be a fitting end result because of AAA's stupidity and laziness.

Yes...since it won't involve any teams that I follow...I'd love to just see the chaos...and possibly other lawsuits for lost money for screwed up schedules that could follow this...

Brian G

I think the strategy is to not decide.

7AFBFAN

Quote from: HF on February 02, 2014, 02:38:20 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on February 02, 2014, 10:33:34 am

Yes...since it won't involve any teams that I follow...I'd love to just see the chaos...and possibly other lawsuits for lost money for screwed up schedules that could follow this...

And once again a lot of schools will be punished in order for one to get their way. Not working out too well for other schools who followed the same path.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Valleysports on February 02, 2014, 09:29:00 am
"time is ticking away for some schools not even involved with the lawsuit."

What ya talking about Wilson
I've give you an example ... Russellville.
Russellville knows, regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit, that Alma, Greenwood, Conway and the LR Catholic/MSM combo will be conference foes. But the rest of the conference schedule is up in the air until a verdict has been made. Will it include Northside and Southside and either Hall or Parkview (if Bryant wins) or will it include Siloam Springs, Van Buren and Bryant (if the AAA wins).
At least three-fourths of the schools in 7A and 6A have at least one conference game on hold because of this.

Valleysports

I don't see the urgency - sometime during nonconference should be good.  Am I forgetting something?  Making Calendars, printing schedules, etc ?

sevenof400

Quote from: B.G. on February 02, 2014, 02:40:19 pm
I think the strategy is to not decide.

If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

SouthpawSensation

February 03, 2014, 10:55:35 am #127 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:49:41 pm by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: Valleysports on February 02, 2014, 04:57:28 pm
I don't see the urgency - sometime during nonconference should be good.  Am I forgetting something?  Making Calendars, printing schedules, etc ?
You can't wait that long, and here's why.
Bryant needs an answer in case it needs to schedule its biggest rival, Benton, as a nonconference foe or a conference foe, and same applies to Benton. If Bryant wins the lawsuit, it could become a conference game, meaning both schools must find a new nonconference opponent.
Meanwhile, Northside and Southside already have tentatively scheduled Greenwood for nonconference games. If Bryant wins, Northside, Southside and Greenwood are conference opponents and will have to find new conference opponents, which won't be easy.
Outside of Bryant, this affects Siloam Springs and Van Buren the most. The only conference foe both schools know they definitely have is each other, meaning more than half of their schedules are up in the air right now until the lawsuit is finished.
Keep in mind, this just doesn't affect football. We're talking all sports — and golf, tennis and volleyball start much earlier than football. They have even less time to fill their schedules.

Valleysports

Well that makes sense....  I'm not used to rival games being between schools in different classifications / conferences.

AT

Alma-Van Buren rivalry needs to know the decision on this soon too.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on February 03, 2014, 10:55:35 am
Quote from: Valleysports on February 02, 2014, 04:57:28 pm
You can't wait that long, and here's why.
Bryant needs an answer in case it needs to schedule its biggest rival, Benton, as a nonconference foe or a conference foe, and same applies to Benton. If Bryant wins the lawsuit, it could become a conference game, meaning both schools must find a new nonconference opponent.
Meanwhile, Northside and Southside already have tentatively scheduled Greenwood for nonconference games. If Bryant wins, Northside, Southside and Greenwood are conference opponents and will have to find new conference opponents, which won't be easy.
Outside of Bryant, this affects Siloam Springs and Van Buren the most. The only conference foe both schools know they definitely have is each other, meaning more than half of their schedules are up in the air right now until the lawsuit is finished.
Keep in mind, this just doesn't affect football. We're talking all sports — and golf, tennis and volleyball start much earlier than football. They have even less time to fill their schedules.

Could go to a one year solution of just playing some teams twice...it sucks but is a possible solution...

SouthpawSensation

For those keeping score, as of today, it's been 2 months since the judge (Mary McGowan) heard the testimony.

sevenof400

February 04, 2014, 06:06:39 am #132 Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:08:17 am by sevenof400
There is no excuse for a legal decision to take this long.
One has to believe that the losing side will appeal as well.  Delays only needlessly complicate an already messy situation.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 04, 2014, 06:06:39 am
There is no excuse for a legal decision to take this long.
One has to believe that the losing side will appeal as well.  Delays only needlessly complicate an already messy situation.
I'll admit: there is still part of me that wants Bryant to win. I want to see the AAA gets its hand forced into finding another suitable situation.
I'm still puzzled at how it's trying to make all this work. Six teams from the West will go to the playoffs in 7A, while the Central gets three and the East gets three.
The questions start flowing at that point.
How is this going to work as far as seedings go? Will the West, since it has twice as many teams, get two teams to get a first-round bye while the Central and the East get one apiece? What will determine which No. 3 seed from the Central and the East plays the No. 5 from the West and which one plays the No. 6?
Any way you look at it, it's a muddled mess that needs to be straightened out, and time will start to become of the essence real soon.

arthurhawgerelli

I would guess that the judge is waiting on the AAA region meetings in late March, early April across the state.  There is a push of something called super regions.  Combining 1A/2A, 3A/4A, 5A/6A/7A for the conference season to cut down on travel, and then break off into classification for the playoffs, much like the 6A/7A has already been doing. 

I've not heard if this would take place after 1 year of the new conferencing, 2 years, or rushed in for next year.  Maybe this has been discussed in this thread, and I missed it.

Valleysports

QuoteCombining 1A/2A, 3A/4A, 5A/6A/7A for the conference season
finally - lay it out like Texas.

sevenof400

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on February 06, 2014, 12:28:53 pm
I would guess that the judge is waiting on the AAA region meetings in late March, early April across the state.  There is a push of something called super regions.  Combining 1A/2A, 3A/4A, 5A/6A/7A for the conference season to cut down on travel, and then break off into classification for the playoffs, much like the 6A/7A has already been doing. 

I've not heard if this would take place after 1 year of the new conferencing, 2 years, or rushed in for next year.  Maybe this has been discussed in this thread, and I missed it.

Waiting until March?  Wow.   What if that classification combination does not pass? 
Waiting may turn out okay, but then again, it may not.

I'd like to see this judge take action now.  This waiting seems to be a passing of the buck, so to speak.

Lionheart88

Case was dismissed today, the news just broke on 103.7.

HorseFeathers

sevenof400

Among the many points in this decision...
QuoteThe scenario before the Court is illustrative of why courts have been extremely limited in their ability to review the actions of voluntary associations, notably the AAA, and severely diminishes the persuasiveness of Bryant's argument that it will suffer irreparable harm.

How is the AAA a -voluntary- association? 

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 06, 2014, 03:55:21 pm
QuoteThe scenario before the Court is illustrative of why courts have been extremely limited in their ability to review the actions of voluntary associations, notably the AAA, and severely diminishes the persuasiveness of Bryant's argument that it will suffer irreparable harm.

Because schools choose to belong?

Baitshop

There is not, at this time, a good answer for this problem....what we have now is just the best of the worst options and it appears as though it is Bryant's turn to bear the brunt of it...

IF Springdale and Ft. Smith build another school each and Bentonville splits, it would ease up the need for some of the other central Arkansas teams to be pushed into traveling to the NW part of the state....but I think that for Fort Smith that 3rd school, Eastside, (because we have no imagination in Fort Smith ::)) is probably 10+ years away....

sevenof400

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2014, 03:56:25 pm

Is there really a -choice-?  Sure doesn't look like it...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 06, 2014, 04:00:15 pm
Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2014, 03:56:25 pm

Is there really a -choice-?  Sure doesn't look like it...
Well seven, there is a choice but the better question is what is the alternative? The Supers should get together and start over and abolish the AAA...it won't happen but it should...

Walter

Another complication to the new alignment for Bryant and the other 7A schools in the new Central is that the games against 6A members of the conference will not count in the standings which determine qualification for and seedings in post-season play. In other words, Bryant's trips to Siloam Springs, Alma, Greenwood and Russellville are mandated as members of the same conference but will not count in the standings, which determine if a Bryant team goes to State. Basically, for that purpose, the league — as well as the 7A/6A-East — will essentially be determined by three games against the 7A teams in the league, Conway, Catholic and Van Buren.

The above is nothing but bull. Whether or not we make the playoffs is based on 3 games. Why play sports at all. there is something wrong with this.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SardisHog on February 06, 2014, 06:47:52 pm
Another complication to the new alignment for Bryant and the other 7A schools in the new Central is that the games against 6A members of the conference will not count in the standings which determine qualification for and seedings in post-season play. In other words, Bryant's trips to Siloam Springs, Alma, Greenwood and Russellville are mandated as members of the same conference but will not count in the standings, which determine if a Bryant team goes to State. Basically, for that purpose, the league — as well as the 7A/6A-East — will essentially be determined by three games against the 7A teams in the league, Conway, Catholic and Van Buren.

The above is nothing but bull. Whether or not we make the playoffs is based on 3 games. Why play sports at all. there is something wrong with this.

From the outside looking in...the power ratings make more sense than just having 3 conference games count....

ricepig

Quote from: SardisHog on February 06, 2014, 06:47:52 pm

Goes the same for those in the East and in 6A, have you checked to see how your school voted on this?

Valleysports

Quote from: SardisHog on February 06, 2014, 06:47:52 pmBasically, for that purpose, the league — as well as the 7A/6A-East — will essentially be determined by three games against the 7A teams in the league, Conway, Catholic and Van Buren.

Whether or not we make the playoffs is based on 3 games. Why play sports at all. there is something wrong with this.

This is Arkansas - you only have 16, 7a schools.  Really ought to play some pre-playoff games and then start the playoffs anyway.  Since everyone goes, all you're trying to do is get ready.

Walter

Have they changed it where all 7A teams make the playoffs now? If so that isn't right!!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas