• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas vs Texas Thread

Started by gatecrasher, March 06, 2013, 04:02:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider324

QuoteLet's leave your sister out of this.

Yes, let's.  She was born in Batesville.....
;D

Texas

I've been keeping an eye out. It's finally happened.

Student Sports has placed Bentonville at #46 in their Pre-Season Fab 50.
http://www.studentsports.com/blog/2013/08/16/fab-50-preseason-rankings-38-50/

This is the first national pre-season poll I have seen Bentonville on.  :) Of course Trinity has pretty much been in all of them.  ;) Trinity BTW is #22 in this same poll.

7AFBFAN

What is the criteria for this poll since a lot of teams field a new group of players each year?

Texas

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 17, 2013, 09:15:10 am
What is the criteria for this poll since a lot of teams field a new group of players each year?
That's a good question.

I found this: The FAB 50 is the only national ranking that has champions listed back to 1910 and is considered the continuation of the National Sports News Service rankings that began in 1927.

The FAB 50 rankings are directed by Mark Tennis (who has compiled national rankings in various sports for nearly 20 years) with input from National High School Hall of Fame member Doug Huff along with Brian Stumpf, V.P. of Football Events for Student Sports. Contributing: Todd Huber, Bob Masajo, Paul Muyskens, Michael White.

Complete poll: http://www.studentsports.com/blog/2013/08/16/fab-50-complete-preseason-football-rankings/

Most of these polls are based on recent seasons history/performance, SOS, # of returning starters etc... Plus the fact that some guy writes for a National HS website, he is automatically considered an "expert".

Personally, I don't like polls. They are fun to look at, but I don't give much legitimacy to them. State polls, although meaningless are going to be more accurate. National polls though are laughable.

DPaul

I thought they summed this up perfectly...

Outlook:Head coach Steve Lineweaver is looking to return Trinity to form after losing more than two games last fall for the first time since 2004. The Trojans' formula for success is there, with a terrific returning offensive line, a stable of capable backs, including a potential breakout star in Antonio Franklin, and a stingy defense. Trinity should have no problem being the bully as it usually is, but the questions will be can the Trojans match up with the speed of a team like DeSoto and can they play better from behind or in competitive games than they did last fall.

phdefense

Quote from: Texas on August 17, 2013, 10:16:09 am
Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 17, 2013, 09:15:10 am
That's a good question.

I found this: The FAB 50 is the only national ranking that has champions listed back to 1910 and is considered the continuation of the National Sports News Service rankings that began in 1927.

The FAB 50 rankings are directed by Mark Tennis (who has compiled national rankings in various sports for nearly 20 years) with input from National High School Hall of Fame member Doug Huff along with Brian Stumpf, V.P. of Football Events for Student Sports. Contributing: Todd Huber, Bob Masajo, Paul Muyskens, Michael White.

Complete poll: http://www.studentsports.com/blog/2013/08/16/fab-50-complete-preseason-football-rankings/

Most of these polls are based on recent seasons history/performance, SOS, # of returning starters etc... Plus the fact that some guy writes for a National HS website, he is automatically considered an "expert".

Personally, I don't like polls. They are fun to look at, but I don't give much legitimacy to them. State polls, although meaningless are going to be more accurate. National polls though are laughable.
The real question is if you understand the difference in a poll and a ranking.

DogsWin7

Well.....Polls have been wrong before.    Thought it was more lets see it on the field.

Lions84

IMO this will be the Test that Bentonville needs to pass if it wants to get Regional Respect.

TrinityTrojan80

Quote from: DPaul on August 17, 2013, 04:03:55 pm

Outlook:Head coach Steve Lineweaver is looking to return Trinity to form after losing more than two games last fall for the first time since 2004. The Trojans' formula for success is there, with a terrific returning offensive line, a stable of capable backs, including a potential breakout star in Antonio Franklin, and a stingy defense. Trinity should have no problem being the bully as it usually is, but the questions will be can the Trojans match up with the speed of a team like DeSoto and can they play better from behind or in competitive games than they did last fall.

I went to Trinity's intrasquad scrimmage this morning. My visit was brief since I had to leave work and get back within an hour but here is what I saw.

It looks like Deon is the starting QB and he looked pretty good out there. It's nice to see a QB with his size and speed calling signals.

Our defense is pretty specia andl Hafoka Olie is a beast and so quick, he was getting into the backfield so quickly.

Texas

Quote from: Lions84 on August 17, 2013, 07:35:15 pm
IMO this will be the Test that Bentonville needs to pass if it wants to get Regional Respect.
Just curious, what does Bentonville need to do to "pass the test" in your opinion?

Texas

Quote from: TrinityTrojan80 on August 17, 2013, 07:46:24 pm

I went to Trinity's intrasquad scrimmage this morning. My visit was brief since I had to leave work and get back within an hour but here is what I saw.

It looks like Deon is the starting QB and he looked pretty good out there. It's nice to see a QB with his size and speed calling signals.

Our defense is pretty specia andl Hafoka Olie is a beast and so quick, he was getting into the backfield so quickly.
Thanks for the report. I hope you didn't work too hard.  :-\

Texas

DogsWin7

August 17, 2013, 10:34:37 pm #662 Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:49:29 pm by DiehardFBfan
Quote from: Texas on August 17, 2013, 10:21:47 pm
Some interesting comments.

http://forums.5atexasfootball.com/showthread.php?76484-Euless-Trinity-vs-Bentonville-Arkansas-Week-3

Someone quoted Fearless on another website that they think the majority of Bentonville Arkansas the Tigers think they are going to lose?

That's false.

DPaul

Quote from: TrinityTrojan80 on August 17, 2013, 07:46:24 pm

That makes me smile. I knew Olie is a beast but the 3rd sentence.

Texas

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on August 17, 2013, 10:34:37 pm

http://forums.5atexasfootball.com/showthread.php?76484-Euless-Trinity-vs-Bentonville-Arkansas-Week-3

Someone quoted Fearless on another website that they think the majority of Bentonville Arkansas the Tigers think they are going to lose?

That's false.
Really? That's weird. Most of the comments I have read here seem to indicate that. Most say, (paraphrasing) "Trinity should win, I just hope Bentonville keeps it close.", or something to that affect. Of course I know there are a few comments here and there that say Bentonville will win the game.

DogsWin7

August 17, 2013, 11:31:36 pm #665 Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:34:28 pm by DiehardFBfan
Quote from: Texas on August 17, 2013, 11:22:19 pm

That's false.
Really? That's weird. Most of the comments I have read here seem to indicate that. Most say, (paraphrasing) "Trinity should win, I just hope Bentonville keeps it close.", or something to that affect. Of course I know there are a few comments here and there that say Bentonville will win the game.
I wonder if you asked the Coach and the players  of Bentonville that, if they would agree? 

Isn't that why we all Love football?......Because anything can happen?   Anyone can win or be beat?

I think so. 

DPaul

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on August 17, 2013, 11:31:36 pm

That's false.
I wonder if you asked the Coach and the players  of Bentonville that, if they would agree?

Isn't that why we all Love football?......Because anything can happen?   Anyone can win or be beat?

I think so.

Sooo the Bentonville coaches and players are logged in making posts in here too?

OPoraquê

Weird thing...given Superintendant Poore's declaration a week ago that Bentonville's enrollment will start at 4,200 students this Monday, that would make BHS the 7th biggest high school in the State of Texas right now, were they located in "the Great State".

That's still almost inconceivable to me.

DogsWin7

Quote from: DPaul on August 17, 2013, 11:39:39 pm

That's false.

I think so.

Sooo the Bentonville coaches and players are logged in making posts in here too?

Do you know for certain they aren't?

Anything is possible.   But I would imagine that they believe they" The Tigers "will be the team to win.:)

DPaul

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on August 17, 2013, 11:45:41 pm
Quote from: DPaul on August 17, 2013, 11:39:39 pm

That's false.

I think so.

Do you know for certain they aren't?

Anything is possible.   But I would imagine that they believe they" The Tigers "will be the team to win.:)

I have no idea hence the question mark. I think the general consensus in here has been a feeling that Trinity will win this game. That's what Texas was saying.

Texas

That's false.

I think so.
I would assume, and hope, they would say they look forward to the game and are confident they can play well enough to have a chance to win.

Texas

Quote from: OPoraquê on August 17, 2013, 11:42:37 pm
Weird thing...given Superintendant Poore's declaration a week ago that Bentonville's enrollment will start at 4,200 students this Monday, that would make BHS the 7th biggest high school in the State of Texas right now, were they located in "the Great State".

That's still almost inconceivable to me.
+1,000 on Trinity

Numbers suggest a Bentonville win?  ???

7AFBFAN

I would be disappointed in the Bentonville program if they looked at this as a game they couldn't win. I haven't seen many Bentonville supporters posting much about this game and it has been years since I have seen a player on here.

How long has Trinity's coach been there? How many state championships?

Texas

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 18, 2013, 08:02:48 pm
I would be disappointed in the Bentonville program if they looked at this as a game they couldn't win. I haven't seen many Bentonville supporters posting much about this game and it has been years since I have seen a player on here.

How long has Trinity's coach been there? How many state championships?
Since 2000. So this will be his 13th season as Trinity HC. Three state titles. He also has one title with 3A Commerce.

7AFBFAN

DPaul

Texas

7AFBFAN

It is nice to see when good things happen to good people.   :)

HSFB Fan

DPaul

What team(s) is considered the most physical team in Arkansas no matter the class? And the most finesse?

phdefense

Most Physical: Cabot/West Memphis
Most Finesse: Greenwood

2bhsboys

Quote from: phdefense on August 20, 2013, 08:19:20 am

Obviously physical doesn't = Wins

Baitshop

August 20, 2013, 09:51:12 am #682 Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:53:20 am by Baitshop
HarBer would get my vote for the must physical team for Southside year in and year out....

And I don't see Greenwood so much as a finesse team as I would a team of precise execution...

JMHO

Billyo62

Quote from: Lions84 on August 17, 2013, 07:35:15 pm

Really, They have defeated Rockhurst, Broken Arrow, South Panola, Texas, Ft. Zum West and anyone from other states that will play them.  None of those teams are Trinity but they are as good as anyone in Arkansas. If they beat Trinity they will get national respect.

DPaul

Oh ok. Are them teams in 7A?

Billyo62

Quote from: DPaul on August 20, 2013, 01:20:14 pm

Cabot and West Memphis are, but they are not that physical of teams, they just like to run the ball. Bentonville hammered West Memphis the last 2 years and Cabot always loses in the playoffs before they get to Bentonville.

DPaul

Quote from: Billyo62 on August 20, 2013, 01:26:44 pm
Quote from: DPaul on August 20, 2013, 01:20:14 pm

Cabot and West Memphis are, but they are not that physical of teams, they just like to run the ball. Bentonville hammered West Memphis the last 2 years and Cabot always loses in the playoffs before they get to Bentonville.

So is Bentonville considered a physical team?

When you think of Texas, the teams that come to mind as being physical are Trinity, Katy and Cibolo Steele....there are others I'm sure that I havnt seen.

Finesse teams...Colleyville Heritage and SLC although the Kenny Hill SLC teams were alot more physical. Some Texas posters might disagree with the SLC reference but that's just my opinion.

Texas

Quote from: 2bhsboys on August 20, 2013, 08:32:31 am

Prediction: Trinity will be the most physical team Bentonville has ever seen/played. Trinity's motto: IAR2 = If it ain't rough, it ain't right!
Trinity hits hard on offense and defense and plays to the whistle.

Texas

Quote from: DPaul on August 20, 2013, 01:46:10 pm
So is Bentonville considered a physical team?

When you think of Texas, the teams that come to mind as being physical are Trinity, Katy and Cibolo Steele....there are others I'm sure that I havnt seen.

Finesse teams...Colleyville Heritage and SLC although the Kenny Hill SLC teams were alot more physical. Some Texas posters might disagree with the SLC reference but that's just my opinion.
Allen is kind of a hybrid. When you first think Allen, you immediately think finesse. However Allen has always had really strong line play, strong in the trenches. They are no Trinity, but they can play with Trinity to a certain extent on a physical level.

7AFBFAN

With all due respect Tulsa Union is no slouch nationally and Bennie sees them every year.

OPoraquê

Texas, FWIW, back when Texas High (4A, I know) played Bentonville in 2010, their coach described BHS as being like Highland Park.  ETHS would overwhelm HPHS, but I don't think Highland Park has 4,200 students, either.  (Neither does Bentonville have Matt Stafford, either, at least not yet.  ;)  )

businesstron

August 20, 2013, 04:35:29 pm #691 Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:50:38 pm by businesstron
 I wouldn't consider the Cabot and West Memphis physical though. Both of those teams run Wing T and Dead T.    If those teams run into good passing or really any team that can run and pass they will usually lose.....bad.  They don't have good defenses.

All of these teams  have had moderate success the last couple of years.  Well...Northside hasn't.  The top 3 physical teams usually have the best lines in the state every year (in that order).  North Little Rock always has size too but up until recently they haven't done a whole lot with it.

Most Physical
Bentonville
Harber
FS South Side
North Little Rock
Pine Bluff
El Dorado

Finesse
Fayetteville (though they've had decent lines the last few years but they are still  more pass first then a run team)
Greenwood
Pulaski Academy
Northside
Rogers Heritage

businesstron

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 20, 2013, 02:08:17 pm
With all due respect Tulsa Union is no slouch nationally and Bennie sees them every year.

They see them in a 2 quarter scrimmage. 

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: businesstron on August 20, 2013, 04:54:08 pm
Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 20, 2013, 02:08:17 pm

They see them in a 2 quarter scrimmage. 
Actually, Bentonville is playing Owasso this year at Union. Har-Ber will get to play Union in the two-quarter scrimmage this year to close things out there.

Razorback Red

Quote from: Baitshop on August 20, 2013, 09:51:12 am
HarBer would get my vote for the must physical team for Southside year in and year out....

And I don't see Greenwood so much as a finesse team as I would a team of precise execution...

JMHO

For the most part, I agree with Bait.

When I think physical, I think SS, Harber and West Memphis
When I think finesse, I think Northside, Heritage and probably Greenwood (I don't get to see GW play)

Bville, Fville and NLR are both IMO.  These 3 teams typically have the athletes and coaching to do both when needed.

Razorback Red

Quote from: Texas on August 20, 2013, 01:58:31 pm

Prediction: Trinity will be the most physical team Bentonville has ever seen/played. Trinity's motto: IAR2 = If it ain't rough, it ain't right!

That's why I'm looking forward to this game.  I know that Bville/Fville/NLR are regional powers, but this game is more of the National test.  Trinity is a proven power, and beating them (even playing them close) would be huge for Bville and I think for the state of AR. 

We won't argue who's the best program in AR (I would put NLR at 3 and we can argue all day on 1 and 2).  This time around Trinity will truly see one of the best programs in AR.  Can't wait to see what happens.

DPaul

So much so an uneducated few will go as far as calling Trinity dirty. They are far from dirty, they just play to the whistle and hit hard. Sure there are a few incidents that people can point to but every team has a few of them not so proud moments. People/Pansies get playing to the whistle confused with dirty play.

Texas

Quote from: DPaul on August 20, 2013, 10:04:56 pm

So much so an uneducated few will go as far as calling Trinity dirty. They are far from dirty, they just play to the whistle and hit hard. Sure there are a few incidents that people can point to but every team has a few of them not so proud moments. People/Pansies get playing to the whistle confused with dirty play.
I was watching a video the other day, from a few seasons back. One Trojan player said, (paraphrasing) "(Trinity) Coaches tell us to hit them (they other team) so hard that they lose the next game too.", implying they will still be thinking about their last game against Trinity.

Trinity is a tough matchup for anybody. Deadly combination of size, strength, power, speed, aggressiveness, athleticism and coaching.

7AFBFAN

Listening to these comments I am really surprised they ever lose. They sound like they would give the Dallas Cowboys a good game.

phdefense

Quote from: DPaul on August 20, 2013, 10:04:56 pm

Maybe they accuse them of dirty play when instead of playing to the whistle they play through the whistle.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas