• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clarendon Head Coach

Started by Panther87, February 10, 2013, 12:19:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Panther87

Just heard that coach Lumpkin has been fired? Any truth to this?

hogsfan4life

He resigned because he wants to pursue another career path. Not fired. I think marine biology? Not entirely sure though. Good luck to Coach.

Big Country

loyal fan

Lions84

Sad to Coach go he seemed to be getting things turned around.

Big Country

yes it is official the job has been posted and true lion84  it is sad to see him go

Lions84

Wonder who we will get,  I wonder if Jim Sains from Holly Grove could do anything for us.  I know he had a hard time following Pappa Frank at Barton but that was an impossible task following a legend.

Big Country

Whoever gets the job has their work cut out for them, I wish them the best.

saquatch

There should be a lot of young coaches interested in that position..  Always a load of talent at Clarendon.

Lions84

Like Barton we have had Numbers issues the past few years.   It been aggravating to me no one won much at Clarendon since Hart left.

saquatch

Lions84

Quote from: saquatch on February 14, 2013, 12:17:58 pm
Same time Cedric left too

and Scott Davenport they both when to the Hill and played for the Hogs ! Till Cedric left for Tinner.

Big Country

Quote from: saquatch on February 14, 2013, 10:46:37 am
There should be a lot of young coaches interested in that position..  Always a load of talent at Clarendon.

It is tough because they are in a brutal conf. to try and rebuild a program , not to say it can't be done because they have some tradition there but it would be hard.

Lions84

Biggest thing I have seen in the past 5 years or so is a lack of good D.  We were known for our D back in the 1980's.

loyal fan

How is the school there?  Community? Administration? Kids attitudes? 

Nip/Tusk

This guy was crazy when he was in the grove. Good motivator but not real good scheme wise from what I saw.

Wonder what he plans on doing?

loyal fan

Clarendon had any recent success?

Big Country

Made it to state a couple of years , but their  conf. is pretty good so it is mostly as a low seed and then they get a tough draw.

Lions84

Quote from: loyal fan on February 18, 2013, 09:01:38 am
Clarendon had any recent success?

No more that 6-7 wins a year for so since Hart left. Talent been there we are sending kids to Harding, and OBU to play football.

big E

I would bet that some assistants in the conference apply for this one.

El Jefe

Could be a good fit for the right coach. The talent is usually there, just need the right guy. Can't believe Coach left.

Lions84

Quote from: El Jefe on February 20, 2013, 11:38:41 am
Could be a good fit for the right coach. The talent is usually there, just need the right guy. Can't believe Coach left.

I don't know what happened but every time I have been home to vist folks talked about him doing a great job with what he had and they wished more kids would play.

Hogdogusa

February 23, 2013, 01:49:29 pm #22 Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:16:54 am by Hogdogusa
I heard interviews have began.

Iknewthemwhen

I didn't think they had won 6-7 in a single season in a while.  Whats the last 3-5 year record?  I heard numbers was really a problem.  Few other things but may just have been someones opinion.

Lions84

Home town folks keep us out of staters in the Loop on this.

Lions84

Any word or updates on the coaching search.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Lions84 on March 01, 2013, 10:49:37 am
Any word or updates on the coaching search.
They interviewed former PA quarterback, Thomas Thrash.  I'm not sure who else has applied, but I think that would be a great hire and would definitely have the kids excited about playing football.

Iknewthemwhen

Anybody on staff interested?

nwarkteach

I believe the perfect fit for the position is already on staff.  Drew Smyly, who is also the head baseball coach, has already built up some rapport with the kids at the school and knows the community/parents. Coach Smyly and I played college ball at Henderson together and he is one of the hardest working guys on the planet.  Couple that with an in depth knowlege of the game, a masters degree in education, and dedication to the community and I believe you have a win/win with Coach Smyly.

I wouldn't believe Mr. Thrash would be up for consideration seeing that he does not even have a teaching license (according to A.D.E.).  Last position he was working was Online Film Editing Coordinator for Little Rock Central. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 23, 2013, 03:02:12 pm
I didn't think they had won 6-7 in a single season in a while.  Whats the last 3-5 year record?  I heard numbers was really a problem.  Few other things but may just have been someones opinion.

20-35 in last 5 years, 2 winning records in the past 12 years(6-5 in 2010, and 7-4 in 05), 1998-2000 they went 27-9, so maybe the possibility of being good to great is still there with a good coach.  But they are still steadily shrinking, had 50+ kids in the 9th grade class every year for the last 5 years, but by the time those kids are 10th graders they've had 15-20 leave every year.

Panther87

We need some new life into the program, coach Lumpkin did a good job but it was time to move on. As far as someone on staff the only program that has any kind of discipline is the basketball and he isn't a football coach so I think we need to look outside. Smyly is a nice guy but i don't think he knows much football and our baseball hasn't been tearing it up. So let's bring in these applicants and find a good un.

LionX2

Quote from: Panther87 on March 03, 2013, 03:40:02 pm
We need some new life into the program, coach Lumpkin did a good job but it was time to move on. As far as someone on staff the only program that has any kind of discipline is the basketball and he isn't a football coach so I think we need to look outside. Smyly is a nice guy but i don't think he knows much football and our baseball hasn't been tearing it up. So let's bring in these applicants and find a good un.

Did we even have a baseball team before he got here?  ;D

5-wide

Looks like they only had around 20 kids out for varsity football. Tough to get interest in a job with numbers not big enough to scrimmage. Any word on applicants?

Panther87

March 03, 2013, 05:27:54 pm #33 Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:15:54 pm by Panther87
 ???

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: nwarkteach on March 03, 2013, 02:10:14 pm
I believe the perfect fit for the position is already on staff.  Drew Smyly, who is also the head baseball coach, has already built up some rapport with the kids at the school and knows the community/parents. Coach Smyly and I played college ball at Henderson together and he is one of the hardest working guys on the planet.  Couple that with an in depth knowlege of the game, a masters degree in education, and dedication to the community and I believe you have a win/win with Coach Smyly.

I wouldn't believe Mr. Thrash would be up for consideration seeing that he does not even have a teaching license (according to A.D.E.).  Last position he was working was Online Film Editing Coordinator for Little Rock Central. 
I wouldn't know about his teaching license, but I do believe he is going to be a great head coach someday, so if he does/will have a license, I think Clarendon would do well to hire him.

As for Coach Smyly, he may very well be the right guy for the job (even if he went to Henderson ;)). However, usually if a program is struggling, they tend to hire from outside.  That's not always the case, ASU hired Freeze after firing Roberts and that worked out for them.  I'm sure he has or will get an interview and have a chance to convince them. If he is a good guy, then good luck to him.

I don't know any of the other guys listed.  Interesting that there is a guy from Florida.

way2go

Quote from: Panther87 on March 03, 2013, 03:40:02 pm

Everything you say is full of holes. First, the basketball coach IS an assistant football coach, but assistants aren't the final authority with discipline. Those coaches don't deserve what you said.

And last year was Coach Smyly's first year with the baseball team and the first in two or three seasons where the team finished the season without giving up. Most of those guys hadn't played since little league. Maybe they didn't "tear it up" but they stuck with it and did their best. They deserve some credit. And since Coach Smyly was a scholarship football player at Henderson, I think it's fair to say he knows football.

Opinions are one thing, but you need to get your facts straight before you start the bashing.

way2go

March 03, 2013, 11:24:54 pm #36 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:47:28 am by way2go
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on March 03, 2013, 08:55:26 pm

I wouldn't know about his teaching license, but I do believe he is going to be a great head coach someday, so if he does/will have a license, I think Clarendon would do well to hire him.

As for Coach Smyly, he may very well be the right guy for the job (even if he went to Henderson ;)). However, usually if a program is struggling, they tend to hire from outside.  That's not always the case, ASU hired Freeze after firing Roberts and that worked out for them.  I'm sure he has or will get an interview and have a chance to convince them. If he is a good guy, then good luck to him.

I don't know any of the other guys listed.  Interesting that there is a guy from Florida.

I think it all depends. What happens in a program is usually more than meets the eye. Obviously, ASU didn't associate Freeze with the problems they saw with Roberts' program.

Don't know about the applicants but I'm pretty sure he wasn't supposed to have that information, much less put it on this board. That may or may not be true.

Panther87

Anyone can find out who applied, it's called the freedom of information act....you can look that up. As far as the baseball team I'm very proud of the boys and coach for finishing the year but that is what is expected right? As far as the basketball coach I know he's an assistant but that doesn't mean he's a football guy. And please don't compare our coaches to Freeze its a totally different game on that level. And all I'm saying is that the kids, community and school need some new blood.

johnnyo

Watson is not at Stuttgart anymore.  I think he is down at Warren.  I do know that Meek from Stuttgart applied at Clarendon.

way2go

Quote from: Panther87 on March 04, 2013, 07:35:48 am
Anyone can find out who applied, it's called the freedom of information act....you can look that up. As far as the baseball team I'm very proud of the boys and coach for finishing the year but that is what is expected right? As far as the basketball coach I know he's an assistant but that doesn't mean he's a football guy. And please don't compare our coaches to Freeze its a totally different game on that level. And all I'm saying is that the kids, community and school need some new blood.

I'm just saying you're talking off the cuff but that's how it is on here, I guess.

loyal fan

#'s are always a concern in 2 A ball.  Slave to the #'s.  The way it is.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Panther87 on March 04, 2013, 07:35:48 am
And please don't compare our coaches to Freeze its a totally different game on that level.
I did not compare them to Freeze. I simply made the observation that most teams look outside the program to get a new coach if they have been struggling, but ASU didn't, and it worked out. I don't know of any high schools that have done this.

I would love for Thrash to get the job, but I'm not going to get on a message board and bash any of the other applicants. I don't know Coach Smyly, so all I have to go on is what people who know him post on this board which even you seem to think he's a good guy, just not the right guy. I know you are not bashing him or anyone else, you just want new life, which is fine (and would give Thrash a better chance).

Panther87

Your right, I wasn't trying to bash anyone. Just want some energy and enthusiasm back in this town.

nwarkteach

Quote from: way2go on March 03, 2013, 11:24:54 pm
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on March 03, 2013, 08:55:26 pm

I think it all depends. What happens in a program is usually more than meets the eye. Obviously, ASU didn't associate Freeze with the problems they saw with Roberts' program.

Don't know about the applicants but I'm pretty sure he wasn't supposed to have that information, much less put it on this board. That may or may not be true.

Anyone can have that information, it's public knowledge.  Go to the A.D.E. website.  Go to AELS (Arkansas Educator Licensure System) and type in their name. The applicant in question might have a license elsewhere, but as of today he does not have one on the AELS. You can also check someone's salary schedule if they are employed by a school. This system is in place to assure parents and community that the staff is qualified and being paid justly.  If these regulations were not in place we would have Dads without even a H.S. diploma running around coaching a team.  This is not DI football where you get paid to coach.  Coaching, even head coaches, get paid for TEACHING--- BLASPHEMY... THEY HAVE TO TEACH.  Yes, you get paid the bulk around 80 percent of your salary from teaching you get only maximum 4,000 for a stipend in coaching.  Plus if you do not have a coaching endorsement through an accredited university and/or the AAA you are not allowed near a football field.

Coach Smyly not only has a teaching license, he has a Master's degree in Education.  Something I dare say few of these posters have.  If anyone questions his knowledge of football well you show your lack of Coach Smyly.  What qualities make someone have football knowledge?  Playing experience- Collegiate Letterman at Henderson State University.
                 Coaching experience- Compared to others, he lacks in this area but he interned for a year at Lake Hamilton and has coached baseball football at Clarendon for one going on two years.

We know good and well that whatever happens on this board will not ultimately impact the result,  Coach Smyly if it was meant to be it will happen, if not come on up to NW Arkansas where people don't play by the good ole boy politics.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I wasn't questioning you on the licensure thing. I know very well the qualifications on who can coach football, basketball, and track vs. who can coach every other sport (yes, even a dad in one instance that I know) sanctioned by the AAA. I just don't bother checking other coaches' qualifications.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong about the head coaches getting paid for teaching vs coaching, especially at 5A level and above. Yes, some are technically "teachers" but they would not be employed by the school for their teaching ability. Some of those coaches may, for instance, be teaching  7th grade athletics, 8th grade athletics, and  9th grade athletics, but they may only step into those practices or workouts sporadically. I'm not blaming them, they have a huge job and responsibility, but I know that happens.  Those guys are not being paid to teach, they are paid to coach. And I have no idea where you got the $4000 maximum stipend. There are assistants that make more than that.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Panther87 on March 04, 2013, 08:47:28 pm
Your right, I wasn't trying to bash anyone. Just want some energy and enthusiasm back in this town.
I'm sorry if it came across that I was accusing you of such.

Nip/Tusk

slimdlp

Quote from: nwarkteach on March 04, 2013, 09:26:29 pm

come on up to NW Arkansas where people don't play by the good ole boy politics.

LOL..... wake up you are living in a dream world

loyal fan

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on March 04, 2013, 10:22:57 pm
I wasn't questioning you on the licensure thing. I know very well the qualifications on who can coach football, basketball, and track vs. who can coach every other sport (yes, even a dad in one instance that I know) sanctioned by the AAA. I just don't bother checking other coaches' qualifications.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong about the head coaches getting paid for teaching vs coaching, especially at 5A level and above. Yes, some are technically "teachers" but they would not be employed by the school for their teaching ability. Some of those coaches may, for instance, be teaching  7th grade athletics, 8th grade athletics, and  9th grade athletics, but they may only step into those practices or workouts sporadically. I'm not blaming them, they have a huge job and responsibility, but I know that happens.  Those guys are not being paid to teach, they are paid to coach. And I have no idea where you got the $4000 maximum stipend. There are assistants that make more than that.
Cold, Hard, Truth.

loyal fan

Quote from: slimdlp on March 05, 2013, 08:07:01 am
Quote from: nwarkteach on March 04, 2013, 09:26:29 pm

come on up to NW Arkansas where people don't play by the good ole boy politics.

Bingo.  NW ark is all about who you know. 

LOL..... wake up you are living in a dream world

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas