• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sad News -- GLionAlum

Started by McKnz, August 01, 2012, 09:01:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKnz

It is with a very heavy heart that I tell Fearless Friday, GLionAlum has passed away. I will not reveal his real name out and respect and due to the fact that this is a message board and most of you only know him by his handle any way.

I want you to know this, however...GLION was a true gentleman and maybe the biggest Gravette Lions fan I have ever met. He was a Gravette boy himself and returned home a few years back after retirement from a very successful career. He was a veteran and never made that fact a secret as he was very proud of his service and of others on this board. I can only remember one game that I am not positive he attended since 2006. I think that was Pocahontas this year in the playoffs. I know he was the first Gravette fan I saw the very next week at Warren. He loved Gravette and most importantly, the kids who wear the orange and black.

I had the honor to call him a friend. Many on here can say the same. A great man has left this world and we now must try and fill his shoes.

"To live in hearts of those you leave behind is not to die." Thomas Campbell

Oldbadger

My sympathy and prayers for his family.  Since he was a veteran I regard him at the highest level.  Be at peace my friend from a fellow vet.

Brian G

I'm very saddened to hear of this.

A very solid guy and honestly don't think it'd be out of place to name him here as we have listed others obit's before.

We will honor him here with the Fallen Heros designation.

AirWarren

Oh no. That is terrible.

Became FF buds with him a couple of years back, debating over NWA/SEARK talent pools. The man was a class act and NWA lost a good one. Never got an opportunity to meet this man but I'm sure he was great in person as he was on here. Blessings and prayers to his family.

Prayers coming your way from Warren Glion. RIP buddy, you're in a much better place.

Brian G

x14113

I had the luck to meet GLion during the 4A quarters last fall.  He was every bit the gentleman in person as he was on FF.  Very soft-spoken, and always insightful.

My favorite quality of his happens to be his gentle wit.  Even when he was clearly talking trash, his methods of expression were such that a quick chuckle would come out before any degree of resentment would even be considered.

I will never forget when he expressed his enjoyment of my contributions to FF.  Coming from him, that still means a lot.

My immediate suggestion is that the Lions should dedicate the 2012 season to this highly-distinguished gentleman.  After inspiring folks well beyond his alma mater, he truly deserves it.

In Pace Requiescat, GLion.  You will always be remembered.

whippersnapper

Glion was arguably the best representative a team could ask for. When he was and if he was wrong he would be the first to admit it. And always put things the way they were. He was one of a kind and imo goes on the Mt Rushmore of FF.

YC

It's with extreme sadness and a heavy heart I respond to this news. I did not know him personally but through PM's that he and I exchanged it was obvious he was a true gentleman.

Gravette schools and Fearless Friday has lost a great one.

His family will be in my prayers.

Big Fan

My heart sinks low to hear this news.  Prayers to Glion's family. 

phdefense

August 01, 2012, 09:54:53 pm #9 Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:48:23 am by phdefense
Glion will be missed. He obviously brought quality wherever he was present. He brought Gravette Lion football to the rest of the state in a manner only a wordsmith of his caliber could. My prayers go out to his family, loved ones and friends.

bleudog

Prayers and condolences to his family and many friends.

OldScrap

Prayer for his family & friends.

Wendell Robinson

"G" as many people referred to him on these boards, was every bit the gentleman in real life that he portrayed himself to be on these boards. The stands and sidelines will not be the same this coming year without him and his trademark Gravette baseball cap, Gravette Polo, jeans, and cowboy boots. I had the privilege of knowing him myself and sat by him at many a game this past season. The one that stands out to me the most is the Shiloh game. After another Gravette fumble inside the one yard line, he turned and looked at me and said, "sometimes you can't outrun bad luck."

He had a passion to see not only Gravette kids, but kids in general succeed. Not just on the athletic field but in life as well. He often asked me about my younger brother and other kids that had graduated with him. And asked about guys that I graduated with. Remembering names from 10 years earlier. He was a veteran of the United States Air Force and continued serving the public afterwards. He served as a radio play-by-play announcer for Clarksville football for the better part of a decade. He was even in the booth when a young Clarksville High School student named Chuck Barrett helped call his first football game on the radio. A story that Mr GLion told me this past year when we discussed trying to get Gravette games broadcast over the airwaves.

All in all, the world lost a very good friend, teacher, and person today. The skies will be a little more dark over Gravette this coming season. In honor of GLion, I will attend every Gravette game this year, wearing that same hat and polo that hangs in my closet as well.

RIP GLion_Alum. You will always be remembered by me.

apache_alum_90

I send my condolences, and prayers to his family. Never met him but did chat on here with him and am sure he will be watching us from above. Glion Alum you will be missed by all on the FF boards! God bless.

whippersnapper

I just read GLion's first post ever on here. He goes on to say in the topic that Gravette was a dark horse to win conf in 2006. And how they had lost 3 close non conf games. Even then he believed in the players of his home town that he was proud of. Then I read his last post....tough lost. Go lions!

the green moose

Glion and me were pretty good friends on here, he often harassed me for being a ladys man and having a lady friend from every school in the 1-4A Haha, I often defended him when no one else did and he did
the same for me, he was a true gentleman and the ideal football fan! I hope I can someday be half the gentleman glion was and have the respect of so many as he has now. He may be gone but his spirit will live on and he'll always be missed. I myself and the town of west fork send prayers to his family,friends and his town of gravette. Go Lions!

mr.b@sc

Prayers for the family and friends...

Chris

Prayers to the family;  the community of Gravette has lost a great one.  I too admired "G's" eloquence and passion.  His uncanny ability to give you his perspective without appearing "uppity"  and condescending was a true gift and something I admired and aspire to.

Rest in peace

Wahls

Man this stinks. What happened to him?

Wendell Robinson

AirWarren

Terrible. I'm still in shock and saddened.

GoodBetterBetz

Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends!

True Believer

Prayers for his family and friends.

This is such sad news.  I have only met one person on the FF site but I still feel like I can say that you are friends of mine.

Overdahill

GLION, Thanks for the memories! You will be greatly missed and fondly remembered.

Billyo62

Very sad news, "G" was as good as it gets on FF, he will be missed.  Prayers out to his family, friends and football buddies.

DogsWin7

My heart & eyes are so filled with tears that words cannot begin to express the sadness that my heart feels at this time.  My prayers are with his family and friends and they should take comfort in the fact that the Lord has wrapped his arms around him and he can now smile down from heaven above.

He had sent me a pm on July 27, trying not to show his fear of some tests that he had ran, and telling his story in only the way he can, I could tell it was very serious, thus the reason that I had posted some of my favorite posts of his.  He had told me his typing was lacking right now, and I was praying that maybe he could at least read and have a few laughs.

He was so looking forward to the FB season especially the Booneville and Ozark games that are upcoming.  The Gavette Lions should in my opinion dedicate this season to him to honor his devotion to the kids and sports he loved with all his heart.   The pure joy that he brought to so many readers and posters on FF (especially including myself) will never be forgotten.  I never had the honor of meeting GLion in person, but we had been trying to set it up for sometime this fall.  GLion I will just have to wait to see you in Heaven and what a story and time we will have.

His words of wisdom, his funny way to tell a story, his passion and forever the love of the game will always be remembered.

God Bless, GLion.     

Jimbo Morphis

one of the best. he will be missed. prayers for him and his family.

DerekOxford

This guy is certainly going to be missed. I always enjoyed how informative he was about the 1-4A, and he always made sure to give me a shout-out when I posted information on both the 1-4A when I was in NWA and then the 7-4A now that I'm in SWA.

edghog

A true gentleman and a class act. One of the best FF posters ever. He will be missed by all that knew him, either in person or in cyberspace. RIP GLion!

Chris

For those that are interested: In today's Daily Record their is a very nice Obit on GLion.  Very impressive individual who lived a full life and had such a great impact on so many people!

Coach Venny Slocombe

One of the classiest posters ever on FF. I never met the guy in person but I had some PM's with him and some cool discussions about that conference. Sad day indeed...

Wendell Robinson

August 02, 2012, 10:04:52 am #31 Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:52:41 pm by arthurhawgerelli
Out of respect, GLion was anonymous as a poster, and had he wanted to not be he would have revealed his identity.

Chief_Osceola™

August 02, 2012, 10:23:01 am #32 Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:20:23 am by Chief_Osceola™
Man, that is really sad to hear.  I had no idea that's who GLion was, but I knew him and his family well.  They are good people, and he was a great poster.  He's definitely gonna be missed, not only around here but by all those who knew him in real life.

Romeo

Very sad news to hear. Condolences to his family.

G-Town38

I've had the pleasure of knowing GLion for the past 4 years. First met him during my son's freshman year of baseball. Over the next few years I would play close attention to G during the football seasons. He had a great perspective on our Gravette Lions and the rest of the 4A-1. I do have to admit, I will miss our talks during halftime of the Gravette games, but what I will miss most, is seeing him walking the bleachers and giving us updates as to how the rest of the teams were doing. And just so everyone knows, he never expressed more joy than when he found out that a certain "evil empire" was getting throttled. ;)
heaven awaits his arrival with open arms, I'm sure.

TIGER101

Sorry to hear about the loss of Glion. Prayers go out

OldScrap

I suppose this is G-Lion's last post made on July 17.

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=121727.msg2607869#msg2607869

No doubt, we all of FF lost a very good friend. he & I exchanged many PM's, & FF will not be the same without him. I missed out on him being ill, for I'm not around much in the off season, sure wish I had been.

Mulerider

Terrible, terrible, terrible.  I had many debates and PM's with GLion regarding the athletic prowess of NWA 4A football versus Southern 4A football.  He always kept the boards interesting.  What an impressive guy, I had no idea I was debating someone with such a great history.  GLion will be missed and my prayers are with the family.

Wahls

Quote from: Mulerider on August 02, 2012, 04:52:53 pm
Terrible, terrible, terrible.  I had many debates and PM's with GLion regarding the athletic prowess of NWA 4A football versus Southern 4A football.  He always kept the boards interesting.  What an impressive guy, I had no idea I was debating someone with such a great history.  GLion will be missed and my prayers are with the family.

^That. Wow.

SportsFan23

MSHS FAn

Prayers for the family and friends

LJ06

Been off of here for a few weeks, tied up with work and such.  I get back on here and find this terrible news.  GLion was one of the best and most respected posters on this site.  Every one of his posts brought intelligent insight along with his personal sense of humor in which every poster enjoyed reading.  I missed my opportunity to meet this fine human being last fall in Warren and it saddens me.  Probably the most passionate of all Gravette fans and also football in general.  The Gravette community, along with the fearless family, have lost a great man, poster, and friend.  My prayers go out to his family and we all know he's in a better place watching above, gearing up for the upcoming season, chanting LDC with all his heart.  You'll be missed GLion, sincerely with my deepest sympathies.

I vote to add GLion to the fearless fallen heros section of this board.  Man deserves it.

apache_alum_90

I second that, all in favor! Say I !

OldScrap

August 02, 2012, 10:40:06 pm #43 Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:55:25 pm by arthurhawgerelli

Thank you very much for posting this link to his obituary, I really enjoyed getting to seeing the pictures of G-Lion & his family.

Romeo

August 02, 2012, 11:51:30 pm #44 Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:56:12 pm by arthurhawgerelli

As an Air Force veteran myself, its very impressive to see that he was a former OSI agent. For those that are not aware OSI is like the military version of the FBI. It takes a highly intelligent individual to work that kind of job. He'll be truly missed.

DogsWin7

August 03, 2012, 09:11:41 am #45 Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:57:04 pm by arthurhawgerelli

It was nice to finally put a face to such a nice man.    Thanks.

Wendell Robinson

August 03, 2012, 09:45:35 am #46 Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:57:59 pm by arthurhawgerelli

As an Air Force veteran myself, its very impressive to see that he was a former OSI agent. For those that are not aware OSI is like the military version of the FBI. It takes a highly intelligent individual to work that kind of job. He'll be truly missed.
[/quote]

I served in the Air Force myself. Knew GLion personally and we had many talks about the Air Force. When I asked him what he did, he told me that he worked in Security Forces(Military Police). I always assumed he was a cop, I had no idea that he was an officer in the Office of Special Investigations. He was no cop, he was a "special agent", as they are all called.

For those of you that don't know, basically everything you do as an OSI Agent is classified. You aren't allowed to talk about it to anyone. Family, friends, no one. I also now have the utmost respect for his wife as well. It takes a special kind of woman to be able to live with someone who can't tell you about their day. What they did, where they went, who they saw. Just unbelievable.

panther hog

It was a great privilege to have known GLion years ago. While living in Clarksville, he spent many summers coaching his youngest daughter's softball teams. My younger sister was the same age, and I served as his assistant for several seasons. While I was in my early 20s, excitable, and sometimes overly enthusiastic with my coaching suggestions, he was always the calming influence, willing to hear me out, then explain why we should or shouldn't follow my idea. His passion for those kids provided a strong life lesson for a younger man to follow. RIP to a really good man!

1-Adam-12

One of the best posters on here.  He was a man who knew of what he spoke but was not afraid to put a little twist on things.

Condolences from Booneville.

rskyb33

Sorry to hear of Glion`s passing  :( a class act and very informative with his posts my condolences to the family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas