• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest Running Backs in Pine Bluff History

Started by Absolut, June 22, 2011, 07:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Absolut

This is be a who's who list of great players to come through the state of Arkansas. The city of Pine Bluff is known for great running backs. When you coach at Watson Chapel, Pine Bluff, Dollarway you don't worry about the next running back. So who's in the top 10? Post high school careers matter, but it can be a guy who had a great HS Career.

Some names are: Bazil Shabazz (PB), Ron Johnson (WC), Bobby Jett (WC), Kody Burns (DWay), Martell Mallett (PB), Cedric McBride (PB), Trey Austin (WC), Carl Kidd (DWay. was he RB?) Randy Willingham (WC), Jawahn Hunt (PB). Many more others can name.

powerlifter90

Shabazz is the best high school RB I've ever seen, not only in Ark, but everywhere

Did Kidd play RB?  I thought he was a DB.

Absolut

You might be right about Kidd Bug. I just couldn't remember what he played. Somebody older might know.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Absolut on June 22, 2011, 08:16:03 pm
You might be right about Kidd Bug. I just couldn't remember what he played. Somebody older might know.

I'm thinking of Carl Kidd, very promising high school player headed to OU (I believe) then got the heck beat out of him while still in school by a bunch of thugs.  I think he ended up playing for the Raiders or something also......

zebrafan

zebradynasty

Quote from: BUGEATERS on June 22, 2011, 08:17:54 pm

I'm thinking of Carl Kidd, very promising high school player headed to OU (I believe) then got the heck beat out of him while still in school by a bunch of thugs.  I think he ended up playing for the Raiders or something also......

Kid went to JUCO and eventually ended up at UA. He played some RB for Dway. The fight he was in, lot more to that story, happen during the summer of his senior year and did not affect him for the season. Played in the Canadian Football League and for the Raiders and maybe another team or two. Played enough to retire from pro ball. Was an assistant coach at UAPB until 2009.

powerlifter90

Quote from: zebradynasty on June 22, 2011, 11:50:21 pm

Kid went to JUCO and eventually ended up at UA. He played some RB for Dway. The fight he was in, lot more to that story, happen during the summer of his senior year and did not affect him for the season. Played in the Canadian Football League and for the Raiders and maybe another team or two. Played enough to retire from pro ball. Was an assistant coach at UAPB until 2009.

I thought (heard) he got hit in the head with a pipe or bat, fractured his skull and that is why he ended up in JUCO.

didn't he play DB in the pros tough?   

I remember the story, I was livin here at the time and I think NU and OU were after him

zebradynasty

Quote from: BUGEATERS on June 23, 2011, 12:22:48 am

I thought (heard) he got hit in the head with a pipe or bat, fractured his skull and that is why he ended up in JUCO.

I remember the story, I was livin here at the time and I think NU and OU were after him

He was hit with a bat but he was well enough to play his senior season also went on to have a good track season that year. Probably was grades is why he went JUCO. He was DB in college and Pros

Hoghead

Basil Shabazz, bar none is the BEST EVER !!!

Scorp

AHS06

Quote from: Scorp on June 23, 2011, 08:31:08 am
Quote from: Hoghead on June 23, 2011, 01:33:00 am

Yep....
I remember when everyone in Texarkana went to the state championship game at WM with our "WHO IS SHABAZZ" t-shirts, pins, etc. we sure found out by the end of that game.  This guy was a beast!!!!

powerlifter90

Quote from: zebradynasty on June 23, 2011, 12:31:47 am
Quote from: BUGEATERS on June 23, 2011, 12:22:48 am

He was hit with a bat but he was well enough to play his senior season also went on to have a good track season that year. Probably was grades is why he went JUCO. He was DB in college and Pros

ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

I've seen several great college and pro backs play in high school (Barry Sanders, Ahman Green,  DMac, Dyer, Jones-Drew, Woodhead, just to name a few) but Shabazz was better than any of them at the high school level.  I wish he would have had someone teach him good study habits and went on to college, he had all the tools to play in the league.  He is the best I ever watched

zebradynasty

You know the strangest thing about Shabazz 's high school career? He is widely considered the GOAT but he really never carried the ball much! I don't remember every game but he rarely had a 20 carry game in his career. You would never consider him a workhorse, yet the legend lives.

Coach Venny Slocombe

I watched Shabazz twice...best rb I have ever seen in high school...

umpsalot

He never had to carry the ball much!!! when he got it he ran for 80 yd TD'S..
No question!!!!!!!!!! SHABAZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scorp

You'd probably want to throw Bruce Maxwell into the mix also.....

Absolut

There was video of Shabazz on Youtube playing against Texarkana in the state final. I dont know if its still on there.

GuvHog

Quote from: Absolut on June 22, 2011, 07:59:19 pm
This is be a who's who list of great players to come through the state of Arkansas. The city of Pine Bluff is known for great running backs. When you coach at Watson Chapel, Pine Bluff, Dollarway you don't worry about the next running back. So who's in the top 10? Post high school careers matter, but it can be a guy who had a great HS Career.

Some names are: Bazil Shabazz (PB), Ron Johnson (WC), Bobby Jett (WC), Kody Burns (DWay), Martell Mallett (PB), Cedric McBride (PB), Trey Austin (WC), Carl Kidd (DWay. was he RB?) Randy Willingham (WC), Jawahn Hunt (PB). Many more others can name.

Bazil Shabazz was indeed the greatest without a doubt.

Bobby Jett was not a Running Back. He only played that position if Ron Johnson was ill or injured. Bobby Jett was IMHO the greatest Safety to ever play High school football in Arkansas. Were it not for his grades, he would've started  for the Arkansas Razorbacks and had a fine NFL career after that. Unfortunately, he is buried at Cypress Memorial Gardens Cemetery just outside of Pine Bluff. What a Tragedy.

Hoghead

Quote from: AHS06 on June 23, 2011, 08:35:10 am
Quote from: Scorp on June 23, 2011, 08:31:08 am
Quote from: Hoghead on June 23, 2011, 01:33:00 am

Yep....
I remember when everyone in Texarkana went to the state championship game at WM with our "WHO IS SHABAZZ" t-shirts, pins, etc. we sure found out by the end of that game.  This guy was a beast!!!!

What he did to Texarkana was criminal ! Plus that Texarkana team with Mike Cherry wasn't a soft bunch. They had some talent. Shabazz was just Shabazz and it was NOTHING Texarkana could do with him.

Mr_Deb

never got a chance to see Shabazz play, really wish I could of witnessed that greatness, been looking for clips on him...  don't doubt he's the greatest ever anyway if so many could vouch for him like that.

kind of reminds me of james white, never saw him play but everyone swears to the grave he's the greatest WM running back ever.

Shabazz just sounds like a once in a lifetime bo jackson type freak!!

Hoghead

Shabazz ran a 4.2 40 backwards !   That's one of the rumors out there !! LOL!!

Absolut

Quote from: Hoghead on June 25, 2011, 02:18:51 am

LOL he used to chase rabbits around in his yard and catch them. That's where he got his quickness. Football players in South Florida still do that and we see how much speed comes from that area.

Hoghead

Quote from: Absolut on June 25, 2011, 02:21:29 am

LOL he used to chase rabbits around in his yard and catch them. That's where he got his quickness. Football players in South Florida still do that and we see how much speed comes from that area.
Belle Glades Central High School. It's a rite of passage for a young man to catch a Muck Rabbit in Belle Glades, Florida.

GuvHog

Quote from: Absolut on June 25, 2011, 02:21:29 am

Are you sure you aren't confusing Bazil Shabazz with Jim Thorpe?? Chasing rabbits for his father is how Thorpe is said to have developed his great speed.

RGP

... Are all gone like everyone else from that town.

Smithian

Hoghead

Quote from: RGP on June 27, 2011, 12:50:28 pm
... Are all gone like everyone else from that town.

Well they're not all gone. Didn't Pine Bluff hang 51 on a FT. SMITH team last year ? I know it was Northside and you're a Southside guy. But they came out of FT. SMITH for that beating.

powerlifter90

with the population explosion of the Bentonville, Fayetteville, Rogers, Springdale areas it only a matter of time before both Ft. Smith teams drop to the "minor leagues".

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: devil_kid on June 25, 2011, 01:52:23 am
never got a chance to see Shabazz play, really wish I could of witnessed that greatness, been looking for clips on him...  don't doubt he's the greatest ever anyway if so many could vouch for him like that.

kind of reminds me of james white, never saw him play but everyone swears to the grave he's the greatest WM running back ever.

Shabazz just sounds like a once in a lifetime bo jackson type freak!!
The only problem with Shabazz was the fact somebody got into his head that he could get richer quicker by going the baseball route. He has great speed, but unfortunately, he was like Cerrano in "Major League" — hit the straight ball a good way, but couldn't hit the curve ball if his life depended on it and he couldn't steal first base.

powerlifter90

The problem with Shabazz is that he didn't have a mentor that made him concentrate on academics AND athletics.  Football, Basketball, Baseball, Track.......... when would he study?  If he could have kept the grades up, got the ACT, and went to college Ark would probably have had its only Heisman winner. 

Boobie Miles-knee
Basil Shabazz-brain

westmem

Who cares!!!!!!!! Wm have the horses hand down I'm not here to beat my chest

Jesusfreak

Rod Stinson was a good one in the mid '90s.

Big Fan

Carl Miller from D'way who went on to play for the Razorbacks in the Liberty Bowl in the early 80's I believe.

Hoghead

Top 5 Arkansas HS RB's ever.

1. Basil Shabazz, Pine Bluff
2. DeAngelo Williams, Wynne
3. Darren McFadden,  P- Oak Grove
4. Jerry Eckwood, Brinkley
5. Graylon Wyatt, Texarkana

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Hoghead on July 11, 2011, 02:58:37 am

The only argument on that list for me is simply I can't recall Wyatt and what he did. That being said, I would throw in there Madre Hill, Malvern.

R. A.™

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on July 11, 2011, 08:04:09 am

The only argument on that list for me is simply I can't recall Wyatt and what he did. That being said, I would throw in there Madre Hill, Malvern.

Hill and Cobbs could very well be on that list

olddog79

Quote from: R. A.™ on July 11, 2011, 02:41:36 pm

Hill and Cobbs could very well be on that list
Let's go for top 10...

Big Fan

I hope you were better at staying on topic in the Navy....lol

Hoghead

Quote from: Big Fan on July 11, 2011, 09:51:50 pm

I hope you were better at staying on topic in the Navy....lol
Well how many times can you actually type in BASIL SHABAZZ ? That ends it ! LOL !

Father Guido

I remember Wyatt and he was worthy of inclusion here.  Don't know if he was worth of Top 5 All Time, but VERY good.  Shredded Southside in the playoffs a couple of times.

Hoghead

Quote from: Father Guido on July 12, 2011, 07:24:33 am

I remember Wyatt and he was worthy of inclusion here.  Don't know if he was worth of Top 5 All Time, but VERY good.  Shredded Southside in the playoffs a couple of times.
He Teed off alot of people when Darrell Royal signed him to come to Texas ! But Graylynn Wyatt was the real deal. Texarkana won 3 state titles with him 73, 74, 75.

urban legend

There's Basil....and then there's everyone else. I did think that Johnathan Adams was one of the better running backs in the state over the past 15 years. A little underrated to be honest.

fbhound

From what I have heard from discussions over the years among knowledgeable football fans, Shabazz was by far the best.  I have seen the others play in person, and Eckwood was very good. Clarendon had a back in the late 1950s names Johnny Steeland who would turn toward a defender 10 yards away, and despite being open for a walk-in TD, he would turn and run over the defender on purpose. Same on  punt and KO returns. Just plain mean and crazy, as was his brother Robert two years later. I am sure all small towns have their favorite RB from years ago but Johnny could play anywhere but joined the Navy instead. Wonder is anyone from the Clarendon area remembers him?  Also, James Rouse was not too shabby but forgot how to run over people when he got to college, especially his last two years.

eagle-fan

I agree with Shabazz as noted by fbhound. Just no equal but sorry he did not see the need to study as hard as he should. Could have earned a full scholarship somewhere. Does anyone know where he is NOW? ??? ??? 

2bhsboys

I believe living in AZ working in a retirement home. The things he did on the field/court and track were simply amazing. I had first hand knowledge since our schools were rivals.

Hoghead

Quote from: 2bhsboys on August 01, 2011, 07:43:15 am
I believe living in AZ working in a retirement home. The things he did on the field/court and track were simply amazing. I had first hand knowledge since our schools were rivals.

He's married and living in Waco, Texas the last I heard. Still good friends with Tori Hunter of the LA Angels (MLB)

fbhound

The best TRACK guy ever was Carl Lowe. Saw him win the Meet of Champs in the 220 and finished about 10 yards ahead of all other runners. I think he ran a 19.8 that night. Think he decided baseball was his sport. Did not last long. For sprints, I pick Carl Lowe who still holds the 200m record in Arkansas I think.

Wahls

I never got to see DeAngelo Williams play, but the Oak Grove teams that McFadden played on were a one trick pony. He was a stud safety as well.

BronxBomber

I believe Shabazz was the best that I've seen, but I also believe that Dyer was better than any other aside from Basil.  Had Michael gone to Fayetteville, this thread would be full of people arguing the fact that he was the greatest high school player ever.

My top HIGH SCHOOL RB:
1) Basil Shabazz: Pine Bluff
2) Michael Dyer: Little Rock Christian
3) Johnathan Adams: Osceola
4) Madre Hill: Malvern
5) Cedric Cobbs: J.A. Fair, nudging out McFadden who played a little of everything for the Hornets.

Scorp

Quote4) Madre Hill: Malvern

Madre deserves to be on this list.   I saw him play twice.  First time a game against Lake Hamilton and LH had a very good athlete (D. Sheets I believe) back at safety and he had just enough speed to keep Madre from breaking many long runs.  LH won that game.  Second time...against Lake Hamilton again in the State Championship game.  Sheets was sidelined with an injury and Madre ran ALL OVER them.  Unstoppable.  I was starting to feel sorry for the ref's having to chase him down the field so many times!  Malvern won that game and the SC.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas