• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dead Period 2011

Started by Brian G, June 09, 2011, 05:33:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

The official AAA statement.

June 19—July 2, 2011

Athletic Dead Period prohibits any coach from engaging in any type of activity involving
student athletes during AAA calendar weeks #51 and #52 for the purpose of practice, training,
weight lifting, competition, or travel, including camps (ex: team camps, 7‐on‐7, etc.). It requires that
school athletic facilities be closed during this period.

By now, we are all more used to this than when it first started.  Personally, I'm still disappointed it runs from a Sunday through a Saturday.  Many events go through Sunday and by starting the Dead Period on a Sunday, you effectively kill three weekends for some events across different sports.  With the shortened Summer due to weather extending the school year and with schools getting an earlier start in August, the Summer is a blip.

But I do support the idea.  Just not the execution.  I think the adhering to it has gotten better as well but I know some schools still toe the line a little.  Some schools make dang sure they stay clear of any grey areas.

G-Town38

What if a coach were a trainer at an outside facility that one of the kids attended, such as, let's a place such as all-star sports arena? Not saying that is the case, just throwing out a hypothetical.

Brian G

I'm not the person to say for sure, but it's an issue.  Stay clear from anything that seems borderline.  The intent is clear.  No direct contact with the coaches.  Now if the coach's activity is not tied to this player, it might be okay.

I simply say do not risk it.

Valleysports

QuoteMany events go through Sunday and by starting the Dead Period on a Sunday, you effectively kill three weekends for some events across different sports.

Wish it were 3 weeks - 2 weeks  is hardly time to GET A LIFE, especially when coaches, outside of school, schedule tournaments during Dead Period.  Looking forward to Family Time! 

Brian G

Valleysports

Quote from: B.G. on June 09, 2011, 06:44:46 pm
You control that.

Oh I definitely do, but my sister's family caved in and are going to a baseball tournament that several of the parents put together on their own.  So we'll have to leave em behind!  I think Dead Week is one of the smarter things that's happened in Arkansas.

ricepig

I'm guessing the 3 weekend set up is a trade off for a longer dead period. As you said, it basically ruins/ precludes 3 consecutive weekends from camps and 7 on 7's. I still think it should be football only, as this is busy baseball and AAU basketball time, but a blanket policy is the easiest to monitor.

Ty

Arkansas is one of the most lenient states in the country regarding contact with their players.

Baitshop

I assure you that 95% of the coaches are thrilled to have the dead time....

The other 5% who wanted to go 52 weeks a year were the ones that made it hard on the others who wanted a little family time during the summer....

My personal thought is that they should block off 6 weeks of dead time during the summer so that everyone could have a break.....it would be good for the coaches, the kids, and their families....and no one would be getting an advantage...

ricepig

Great idea, but it will never happen. Of course, I find it ironic when the coaches want you to schedule your family vacations during the dead period, and sort of frown on those outside it. Yet, some of them are gone during workouts on their vacations.

Valleysports

June 10, 2011, 10:50:34 pm #10 Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:02:25 pm by Valleysports
Yeah I've seen that ricepig - and the kid is punished for it. Last year we had a kid who didn't come to the non-mandatory summer workouts.  Well when two a days came and they went to punish him (running laps or something) for every missed workout like the other players.  Momma flipped!  ;D  Called the AAA - All heck broke loose!  Haha

Remember when we had time to work?  Does anyone know kids who work the summers anymore?  We worked hard and learned life in the summer.  Summer sports has lead us to raise a generation of kids who are in shock after high school.  Work?  Hold it - I play sports!  I'd like for my kid to  load hay this summer - the way I trained - but he can't get the time.

BigBrother

Should make it dead periods during christmas holidays and spring break, and leave the summer alone.

hoopcoach2

Quote from: BigBrother on June 11, 2011, 07:55:02 am
Should make it dead periods during christmas holidays and spring break, and leave the summer alone.

that's crazy-let's just go ahead and have it in the middle of every season

Coach Runyan

Quote from: Baitshop on June 10, 2011, 08:00:58 pm
I assure you that 95% of the coaches are thrilled to have the dead time....

I guess the other 5% are us poor ol' baseball coaches who are in the middle of games.....

Baitshop

Coach R.....coaching baseball in the summer IS a vacation....at least is was for me....

Brian G

Still can't believe the whining.  It only strengthens the argument for the rule.

Billyo62

Quote from: Valleysports on June 10, 2011, 10:50:34 pm
Yeah I've seen that ricepig - and the kid is punished for it. Last year we had a kid who didn't come to the non-mandatory summer workouts.  Well when two a days came and they went to punish him (running laps or something) for every missed workout like the other players.  Momma flipped!  ;D  Called the AAA - All heck broke loose!  Haha

Remember when we had time to work?  Does anyone know kids who work the summers anymore?  We worked hard and learned life in the summer.  Summer sports has lead us to raise a generation of kids who are in shock after high school.  Work?  Hold it - I play sports!  I'd like for my kid to  load hay this summer - the way I trained - but he can't get the time.

+1

Big Abner

back in the 80's I remember make that early 80's we didn't have to start reporting to workouts until after the 4th of july.....

I agree these kids now days are as bad as colleges as requiring time of the the kids....Just like these travel baseball teams that play year round..its stupid...the amount of kids having tommyjohn surgery in jr high n hs is ridiculuous high because all these parents think there kid is the next Halladay or whatever....

My kid will work out on his own at the gym and do his workouts like he was at school...and we will take a trip...pressure to win has become so high for these schools and coaches they have lost touch with the fact its just a game..that we all love...

ricepig

What? No pad team camps, 3 team pad scrimmages on Monday's? 7 AM workouts followed by 7 on 7 competitions or ASU, UCA, or OBU team camp? I agree, just be glad he isn't playing extended baseball, or AAU basketball. This whole mess is gotten out of control. Mine tried every summer to put on some extra weight, but football in the mornings and either baseball, or 7 on 7 at night never allowed it.

Coach Runyan

Quote from: Big Abner on June 12, 2011, 05:07:44 pm
the amount of kids having tommyjohn surgery in jr high n hs is ridiculuous high because all these parents think there kid is the next Halladay or whatever....

Interesting comment. In JR high? I have been around high school baseball since the day I was born and only know of 1 kid to have TJ before he graduated high school.

Say what you want, the summer is baseball season. Legion baseball has been around for almost 90 years and has nothing to do with the AAA, but they see it necessary to limit it.

We adhere to the rules 100%. However, over the next two weeks my assistant coach (a 19 year old college student) will put over 400 miles on his car @ $3.50 per gallon so our kids don't play a game on our high school field.

"Too much on the kids". Not buying it. "Coaches need time off." Nah. "Lets force everybody to take off during the clinic to get everyone up to Fayetteville." Ding ding ding!!

True Fan

Valleysports

Quote"Too much on the kids". Not buying it. "Coaches need time off." Nah. "Lets force everybody to take off during the clinic to get everyone up to Fayetteville." Ding ding ding!!
It's not about forcing everyone to take a 2 week timeout - it's about stopping you from forcing everyone to NOT take a timeout!

Bwana

Quote from: Valleysports on June 13, 2011, 05:03:09 am
Quote"Too much on the kids". Not buying it. "Coaches need time off." Nah. "Lets force everybody to take off during the clinic to get everyone up to Fayetteville." Ding ding ding!!
It's not about forcing everyone to take a 2 week timeout - it's about stopping you from forcing everyone to NOT take a timeout!
Now there's your ding ding ding..

Big Fan

Quote from: B.G. on June 12, 2011, 01:23:07 pm
Still can't believe the whining.  It only strengthens the argument for the rule.
Amen

Arkyball

It makes perfect sense to have a dead period for non-summer sports (football and basketball, etc). It makes no sense to start it on a Sunday.

However, it only hurts kids - and programs - to have a dead period right in the middle of baseball season! Now, we all know football is king and AAA doesn't care a lick about baseball, but could you imagine if every baseball player did not pick up a ball or bat for 2 weeks, then all the sudden started playing again as soon as the dead period ended? There would be all kinds of injuries! And AAA makes a big deal about requiring certified coaches, blah blah blah, yet they force their coaches to turn teams over to non-certified parents or inexperienced kids to run their programs for 2 weeks in the summer. It's completely hypocritical!

It's understandable that AAA (or any organization) would implement a short-sighted rule resulting in unintended consequences. It's another thing for the AAA to be so stubborn as to not be willing to modify the rule to correct these issues.

Brian G

I fail to see how basketball is any different than baseball.  It's hurt just as bad if you want to make that argument.

But we are in agreement on the Start Date. 

passion4thegame

June 16, 2011, 04:38:06 pm #26 Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:41:54 pm by passion4thegame
Penalty?

LionCatfan

Quote from: Coach Runyan, Lakeside on June 12, 2011, 09:01:13 pm
the amount of kids having tommyjohn surgery in jr high n hs is ridiculuous high because all these parents think there kid is the next Halladay or whatever....

Interesting comment. In JR high? I have been around high school baseball since the day I was born and only know of 1 kid to have TJ before he graduated high school.

Say what you want, the summer is baseball season. Legion baseball has been around for almost 90 years and has nothing to do with the AAA, but they see it necessary to limit it.

We adhere to the rules 100%. However, over the next two weeks my assistant coach (a 19 year old college student) will put over 400 miles on his car @ $3.50 per gallon so our kids don't play a game on our high school field.

"Too much on the kids". Not buying it. "Coaches need time off." Nah. "Lets force everybody to take off during the clinic to get everyone up to Fayetteville." Ding ding ding!!
+1

@CurryLegion

Does this mean that I am not allowed to be in the gym at all even if it just with my dad?! No coaches or anything just me and my dad shooting some free throws at our schools gym?!

RATTLER43

It requires that
school athletic facilities be closed during this period.

ONE MAN GANG

How about a dead time for each sport like one or two weeks of football then basketball and then baseball at the end. I know the kids that play everything would have no break but it might make it easier to get in 7 on 7 and team camps. So everybody is not trying to do it all at the same time.

Big Abner

Quote from: Coach Runyan, Lakeside on June 12, 2011, 09:01:13 pm

Watched it on hbo bryant gumbals show and the fla doctor was telling of how many kids from jr  and sr high were having the surgery...

Big Abner

Quote from: Valleysports on June 10, 2011, 10:50:34 pm

I agree about the work thing when i played we didn't have to be there until 5 and had until 8 to get it in..I worked on our farm during the day we had 3500 ac my uncle would have had a fit if i told i had to go to workouts at 1:30 he would have said work or play...I needed the spending money then...

Rulesman

Quote from: Valleysports on June 13, 2011, 05:03:09 am
+1

Coach Runyan

Again, the issue here is not with football and basketball, who aren't in season (or even a month and a half away from it). For what seems like the millionth time, BASEBALL IS IN SEASON.

If baseball continues during the dead period (and it always will), why should it be on terrible fields with coaches who aren't certified?

The people who champion the dead period will never get American Legion baseball to stop for two weeks in the middle of their season. So, if we are truly trying to do what's in the best interest of the kids, shouldn't the games be played at the best sites available with the most qualified people in charge?

Wahls

June 28, 2011, 02:36:50 am #35 Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:40:09 am by Showband of Arkansas
I watched a favorite in a pretty high level summer state baseball tournament have to forfeit their two games because two football coaches from different schools required the few he selected to play 7 on 7 or they would be benched in the fall.

It's frickin' 7 on 7 football for God's sake. It's a great break from the monotony of summer workouts but Jesus... Football is in the fall. You have multiple people on your team. It's not the end of the world.

As far as coaches and certification and whatever, the best coach I ever had (not even close) had no teaching certification or anything of that nature. Just because you don't coach a high school team doesn't mean you're any less of a coach.

As far as not using athletic facilities, there's a school around here who I won't name that just conveniently leaves the gates to their field open during dead week. If you get caught on the field it's trespassing, but none of the coaches or other school officials are there to enforce it. Reading between the lines yet?

The dead period is great if for nothing else to ensure that for at least two weeks, kids that want to play baseball in the summer don't have football coaches up their tail.

keohog

Quote from: Coach Runyan, Lakeside on June 28, 2011, 12:20:04 am
Again, the issue here is not with football and basketball, who aren't in season (or even a month and a half away from it). For what seems like the millionth time, BASEBALL IS IN SEASON.

If baseball continues during the dead period (and it always will), why should it be on terrible fields with coaches who aren't certified?

The people who champion the dead period will never get American Legion baseball to stop for two weeks in the middle of their season. So, if we are truly trying to do what's in the best interest of the kids, shouldn't the games be played at the best sites available with the most qualified people in charge?
If your saying the only coaches that are so called qualified are the ones in High School your full of crap. There are alot of coaches that put in alot of time for free that care as much for their kids (or more) than some HIGH SCHOOL coach's do.

Coach Runyan

Quote from: keohog on June 28, 2011, 07:31:08 am
Quote from: Coach Runyan, Lakeside on June 28, 2011, 12:20:04 am

If your saying the only coaches that are so called qualified are the ones in High School your full of crap. There are alot of coaches that put in alot of time for free that care as much for their kids (or more) than some HIGH SCHOOL coach's do.

Not saying at all that high school coaches are the only people qualified to coach the kids. I understand how important it is for dads, professionals and retirees to coach summer programs. Take guys like John Godfrey, Russell Goodwin and Bob Hickingbotham for example.

The point I am making is about the AAA. They are very concerned with people being "fully certified" during the calendar year. Even if you want to volunteer coach, you have to jump through a million hoops. Then, when the dead period hits for baseball, those people who worked for certification aren't allowed to coach in season.

I am sorry if you took what I said as a negative towards those who aren't certified. Not meant that way. I just know of many programs (ours and Cabot's included) that have to scramble for coaches this time of year. MOST of the time those replacement coaches aren't as familiar with the kids, their skill set, team signs, pitching limitations, etc.

True Fan

How can the AAA hold registered volunteers to the same standard. They are not under contract. Their "certification" is only for the school season. It doesn't carry over until the next year. I may be wrong, but I don't think RV's even get a AAA pass. It seems like a gray area.

XFalkonz

So lets see...the AAA can tell me that I cannot coach American Legion baseball during dead week. Now if I am getting paid to do so, isnt that a violation of my rights? The kids are still playing, I am just not allowed to coach them. That sounds like the AAA is only regulating what I do rather than what the kids do. I pay them money to be a part of their "organization" and they tell me that I cannot make money on my time, doing what I like, help kids get better at what they like and I am the bad guy? I have NEVER told a child that they had to play a legion game instead of going on vacation. I have never been a part of any legion team that told a child that they HAD to play and not go on vacation. I have been associated with Legion teams in Jacksonville and TExarkana and I KNOW that they go on vacation during the season. But I hear that we push them too hard and we require too much from them during the summer....that is the funniest thing I have heard in years.

True Fan

Quote from: Defender on June 28, 2011, 09:27:39 am
The Dead period is a good thing for all players and coaches alike.  Maybe baseball players still need a week off to go on vacation.  Maybe its good for the players to get a break from their coaches and play for someone else.  I dont see a problem with making all star week special and wanting people to go support the high school all stars in competition.  After all high school athletics should come before summmer and travel teams. Basketball and AAU have been out of hand.  Also baseball fall leagues are ridiculous.  Football team camps with full pads are too much when unregulated.  I think everyone needs to take a step back and remember what sports in high school is about and what we are trying to achieve.  Eventually Arkansas will become like Texas in the control of summer competition.  Everyone needs a reality check.

As for the statement that is in bold; Why?

Coach Runyan

Quote from: XFalkonz on June 28, 2011, 03:07:21 pm
I have NEVER told a child that they had to play a legion game instead of going on vacation. I have never been a part of any legion team that told a child that they HAD to play and not go on vacation. I have been associated with Legion teams in Jacksonville and TExarkana and I KNOW that they go on vacation during the season. But I hear that we push them too hard and we require too much from them during the summer....that is the funniest thing I have heard in years.

Same here. We tell the kids what the schedule is as early as possible, and encourage them to be there, just so we don't have to cancel games, but have never punished a kid for missing. We have had kids miss for family vacation, church camp, split custody, Xtra Innings (and other showcases).......all outside of the dead period, and all were excused. We just tell them that if they are gone, that is their call and someone else gets their AB's and innings on the mound.

Brian G

June 28, 2011, 09:06:40 pm #42 Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:10:10 pm by B.G.
Quote from: Coach Runyan, Lakeside on June 28, 2011, 08:53:06 am

Get over yourself.  Basketball is played just as much in the summer.  You seem to think basketball should only go on in the winter.  Yet baseball goes Spring, Summer and in many cases Fall.

Baseball is no more inconvenienced than basketball.

XFalkonz

Yeah...Thunp Thump AAU starts in March...would hate for them to miss that two weeks in June...Lord knows they did not already play 150 games by then....yeah that mean ole baseball and them hard butt baseball coaches....lets see...we are going to play about 25 games this summer...some AAU Thump Thumpers play that in two weekends...I am not going to be able to coach the first game of zone because of this super wonderful dead week crap....but hey....lets stick it to those mean old bad coaches says the AAA and the general public....my kids on the other hand...they kinda would like me to be there....but if I am....they get punished....mind blowing.....

Wahls

Quote from: Defender on June 28, 2011, 05:10:31 pmIn my opinion summer teams are more about individuals showcasing their skills and school team ball is about the team.

You must have dealt with some bad teams.

Unfortunately, a lot of high school coaches think like you and hold playing time over the kids' head to do what they want. I watched this backfire on the coach a few times causing some kids to choose, but must of the time they get what they want.

Brian G

Quote from: XFalkonz on June 29, 2011, 12:04:07 am
Yeah...Thunp Thump AAU starts in March...would hate for them to miss that two weeks in June...Lord knows they did not already play 150 games by then....yeah that mean ole baseball and them hard butt baseball coaches....lets see...we are going to play about 25 games this summer...some AAU Thump Thumpers play that in two weekends...I am not going to be able to coach the first game of zone because of this super wonderful dead week crap....but hey....lets stick it to those mean old bad coaches says the AAA and the general public....my kids on the other hand...they kinda would like me to be there....but if I am....they get punished....mind blowing.....

XFalkonz

Quote from: B.G. on June 29, 2011, 12:11:08 am

Doesnt take much to be a administrator here does it....

Brian G

Quote from: XFalkonz on June 29, 2011, 12:44:35 am
Quote from: B.G. on June 29, 2011, 12:11:08 am

Doesnt take much to be a administrator here does it....
Can't beat the pay.   

You crack me up with the 'woe is me" crap.  Every coach at every school in every sport in the state is dealing with this.  They're just not as noisy.  Cry all you want, you're the one that looks the fool.

XFalkonz

It isnt woe is me...it is who the heck do they think they are to limit what I do? the AAA is the biggest farce in the state of Arkansas. They talk about limiting the kids actions but yet they don't limit them. The team I coach is still playing. I am still going to the games but yet I cannot coach them. I don't do it for money I do it because I enjoy coaching the game of baseball. I keep hearing people like you say it is better for the kids. How is it better? Why does the AAA have the right to tell ME what I can do on my own time? It is a violation of MY civil rights. Some people will roll along with it and not be bothered that a state entity is violating certain people's civil rights. I do not require any kid to play the game. I do not tell them they cannot go on vacation. I do not have two practices a day on the off days. Who are they and who are YOU to tell me I have to be idle for two weeks when the kids are not. It is a joke and unfortunately the general public is following along with it.

Brian G

If it's a school team, they have the right.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas