Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Sunday, March 24th, 2019.
Congrats to all of the AR HS Football players who have signed letter of intent to play in college.
With a 3-0 weekend, kk2 comes from behind to win the Pick'em championship. kk2 292 ISU7 291 Coach Jones 291 RamblinWest 290 hill
Fearless Friday
Championship Capsules Posted

Author Topic: Top 10 for February 7  (Read 7954 times)

Offline BarclayAlmanac

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • 2nd String
Top 10 for February 7
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:00:31 pm »
BOYS
1. Conway (18-2): Had to overcome a 10-point third-quarter deficit to beat Little Rock Catholic
2. North Pulaski (17-4): Walloped Beebe and Little Rock Mills by combined 146-88 count
3. LR McClellan (18-3): Two easy wins over Sylvan Hills and White Hall
4. Watson Chapel (18-3): Class 6A state tournament should be a dandy
5. West Memphis (13-5): Another contender in 6A state tournament
6. LR Hall (18-2): Slim 53-50 win over Marion, and double-overtime win against Jacksonville
7. Fayetteville (16-5): Takes the lead in 7A-West
8. FS Northside (15-7): Slides past rival Southside but battered at Fayetteville, 68-42
9. LR Parkview (14-6): Two wins, one loss for week
10. FS Southside (14-6): Lost close one to rival Northside and beat Springdale Har-Ber on Friday to hang on to top 10 ranking

GIRLS
1. North Little Rock (22-0): Get this, beat Van Buren and Russellville by combined 167-81 count
2. Fayetteville (18-2): Pulling away in 7A-West
3. Rogers (15-6): Three wins during week and didnt even have to leave Benton County
4. Vilonia (20-1): Fourth straight season with 20 or more wins
5. FS Northside (15-7): Not a good week for Lady Bears with two losses, but still one of the top teams in the state
6. Siloam Springs (16-2): Gets shot at revenge on Tuesday with trip to Vilonia
7. Bryant (18-3): Hanging tight in 7A-Central with close wins this week over Little Rock Central and Mount Saint Marys
8. Watson Chapel (17-5): Class 6A state tournament will be interesting
9. LR Christian (19-3): Moves up a spot with 2-0 week to remain unbeaten in conference
10. LR Parkview (16-4): Lost close game to Jonesboro and bounced back against Mountain Home
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:11:41 pm by BarclayAlmanac »

Quite Frankly

Re: Top 10 for February 7
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:03:08 pm »
Upper echelon of boys is a crapshoot and that looks as good as any.  The girls top two will hold the rest of the year.

Offline farfromgroovins

• Bench Warmer
  • Run in such a way as to get the prize. 1 Cor 9:24
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:56:49 pm »
Top to bottom, that 6A boys looks tough....5A is nothing to sneeze at either

neaballfan

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:14:46 am »
watson lost to camden fairview, right? and it appears the rest of 5a isn't as weak as i thought considering forrest city beat north pulaski.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:21:57 am by neaballfan »

Offline wiseman3

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:23:38 am »
LR Christian is not unbeaten in conference. They lost to Magnolia. And Siloam comes to vilonia on friday not tuesday.

Offline trevster10

• Head Coach
  • Go Big Blue!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 01:55:43 pm »
15-7, 15-6 > 18-3?

Offline shaniqua

• 2nd String
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 04:27:12 pm »
15-7, 15-6 > 18-3?

Trev, when Bryant girls loses to a 7-15 Sheridan team, you should feel great they are even mentioned in the top 10 at all.   :-\

Quite Frankly

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 04:54:58 pm »
If it was just about records, teams would only schedule patsies.

Offline trevster10

• Head Coach
  • Go Big Blue!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 05:47:57 pm »
15-7, 15-6 > 18-3?

Trev, when Bryant girls loses to a 7-15 Sheridan team, you should feel great they are even mentioned in the top 10 at all.   :-\

So, how does that explain Northside's loss to Yukon (94th best team in the state of Oklahoma according to highschoolsports). From the information that I have, they are 5-9, with more games that haven't had a report of the score. Then Rogers lost to Northside 49-43. I will give you this, their losses were to some tough out of state teams. And Northside has done well in conference so far, but if your going to knock Bryant solely on the loss to Sheridan, then you have to do the same for Northside.

The Sheridan game was fluky anyways. The officiating was absolutely horrendous in favor of the hometown Sheridan team. And, there was a lot of bad blood between the two schools before the game, and that made the atmosphere unreal. Both crowds were extremely loud, and if I had to bet, I would say over 80% of Sheridan's entire population was in that gym. It was just a fluky game all the way around. There was so many extracirrucular things going on during that day, that the game seemed to be not as important as some of the other things going on. All this considering, Bryant didn't even have school that day, but Sheridan did. So it seemed out of the ordinary for our team, while it wasn't as much for them.

Anyways, I can understand if they are ranked higher for winning some out of state games, but where do we draw the line on the number of unmerited losses?

Offline shaniqua

• 2nd String
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 06:06:18 pm »
It doesn't matter where 'we' draw the line...it's Barclay's rankings - and apparently he drew the line at Sheridan.  I've seen most all of Barclay's top 10 teams, and honestly would favor any of them in a matchup over Bryant.  Nothing personally against Bryant, just that all of them looked like better teams than when I saw your double digit loss to Conway.  Are there excuses for that game too? 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:07:55 pm by shaniqua »

Offline T-Wacker

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 06:08:33 pm »
It doesn't matter where 'we' draw the line...it's Barclay's rankings - and apparently he drew the line at Sheridan.  I've seen most all of Barclay's top 10 teams, and honestly would favor any of them in a matchup over Bryant.  Nothing personally against Bryant, just that all of them looked like better teams than when I saw your double digit loss to Conway.  Are there excuses for that game too? 

Also considering Parkview dominated that classification for years. Face it, 6A girls is weak. 7A, 5A, 4A, 6A, in that order.

Offline suprstr30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:41:26 am »
6A girls are weak?  you're kidding right?  The top teams in the south 6A would keep up or beat anybody in 7A outside of NLR (Chapel played them as close as anyone, but nobody will beat em) and the top teams (ElD, Chapel, Texarkana (i feel the east IS weaker) would destroy 5A and below pretty much every encounter.  JMO

Offline eaglekp5

• Bench Warmer
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 02:09:05 pm »
6A girls are weak?  you're kidding right?  The top teams in the south 6A would keep up or beat anybody in 7A outside of NLR (Chapel played them as close as anyone, but nobody will beat em) and the top teams (ElD, Chapel, Texarkana (i feel the east IS weaker) would destroy 5A and below pretty much every encounter.  JMO

JMO too, but Vilonia girls would probably take up a challenge here.  We have turned taller, more athletic opponents into pretzels this year.  Our only loss was to a team that earlier had challenged NLR thru 2 1/2 quarters.  We defeated Searcy in the pre-season quite soundly and I'm sure would welcome other 6A opponents.  Not saying we would definitely win, but would welcome the challenge.  Again, JMO.

Offline Forrest City H

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 03:55:25 pm »
Vilonia was the only team to beat NLR at the summer camps, does that count?  The score was 24-22 in a 20-minute running clock game. ha ha   :P

Seriously, Vilonia does have an impressive arsenal of guards, and the coaching needed to play with NLR better than most of the other teams have been playing them. (which is usually in the embarrassing 30-40 point range)

As for 6A, I did get to see Watson Chapel, and I was very impressed with them. 

Offline suprstr30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 07:13:12 pm »
well if you were impressed with chapel then know eldorado beat them 20.  they beat eldorado once (by 14 i think) and texarkana beat eldorado once by 20 after chapel had beat texarkana by 24.   texarkana beat chapel last night in texarkana.  Point im making is the 6A South is very competative with three very good athletic well coached teams.  To say 6A is behind 5A and 4A and the ONLY example anyone is giving is ONE team in Vilonia is just funny to me!

Quite Frankly

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 07:45:07 pm »
The girls Top 2 are simply a slam dunk.  No argument will change that.

Offline trevster10

• Head Coach
  • Go Big Blue!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:30 pm »
<br />The girls Top 2 are simply a slam dunk.  No argument will change that.<br />

I'm sure Fayetteville is no cake walk either, but I can personally say NLR is plum awesome. #11 in the country

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/fab50?sportId=10020020&seasonType=1&season=2009&week=8

Jacketphotog

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 12:08:31 am »
I would have to put the Lonoke girls in there somewhere.  They are looking very good!

Offline shaniqua

• 2nd String
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »
well if you were impressed with chapel then know eldorado beat them 20.  they beat eldorado once (by 14 i think) and texarkana beat eldorado once by 20 after chapel had beat texarkana by 24.   texarkana beat chapel last night in texarkana.  Point im making is the 6A South is very competative with three very good athletic well coached teams.  To say 6A is behind 5A and 4A and the ONLY example anyone is giving is ONE team in Vilonia is just funny to me!

Here is some more funny stuff for you...As good as Watson Chapel is, they have a loss to 4A Dumas. Lonoke and Star City aren't bad either. 5A Greenbrier girls defeated Benton.  And Benton recently beat El Dorado.  That speaks volumes.  5A's Nettleton and CAC have both beaten West Memphis, and West Memphis beat Texarkana.  Texarkana even has losses to Nevada and Shiloh Christian. The same Shiloh Christian who was mercy-ruled by 5A Siloam Springs. Sounds like 5A would stack up quite favorably against 6A. 

Offline LionCatfan

• Bench Warmer
  • GOD is in control...no matter what
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 07:34:59 pm »
suprstr30....have you been out sipping from the same bottle Mike Love has?  LOL  Just kidding MIKE!!!
This argument comes up every year & since the title came from the South they try to separate themselves from the East & say they are better & could play with anyone.
First hand OBSERVATIONS:

1. Forget it NLR UANLR could only be challenged (play within 15 points)by maybe 2 or 3 teams in the state & it is not in 6A. The 12 pt loss by WC should be considered  a W as that was before NLR UANLR got rolling
2. Vilonia, Siloam Springs, & Nettleton could contend in the 7A West.
3. Many of the "middle of the pack" 5A teams from the three conferences could contend in either the 6A East or South. 

There are some 4A teams that could compete but not as many as 5A. Basically 6A has a wider range of haves & have nots. One other thing...You may be right that the East is weaker ....but there will be a tournament to settle that so there is not any reason to debate that.

Online sevenof400

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Head Coach
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 07:50:51 pm »
Too bad we couldn't resurrect the overall championship for this year - it would be a doozy for both the boys and the girls.

Offline trevster10

• Head Coach
  • Go Big Blue!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 08:13:54 pm »
Too bad we couldn't resurrect the overall championship for this year - it would be a doozy for both the boys and the girls.

For the guys, this would be true. The girls, as been stated on this thread, have the best of the state at the top 2. I don't know about Fayetteville, haven't gotten to see them in person, but NLR is near unbeatable. If NLR was to be challenged in the supposed overall championship, it would probably be Fayetteville, and that's is just from what I have heard about them.

Quite Frankly

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 10:52:00 pm »
Vilonia, Siloam Springs, & Nettleton could contend in the 7A West.

Only if you call 'contending' a shot at 4th(maybe 3rd).

Offline LionCatfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »
Vilonia, Siloam Springs, & Nettleton could contend in the 7A West.

Only if you call 'contending' a shot at 4th(maybe 3rd).

QF....my mention of these three 5A teams was not random blithering praise or unfounded adoration but semi-intelligent post of keeping up with girls basketball the past 5 years which means nothing more than I have an opinion. LOL   Heck my local team is 6A girls which is considered the red headed step child of Arkansas girl's basketball!!! Back to the point...Barclay semi-acknoledges my point based on his ranking of Vilonia & Siloam & the link below will give credit to mentioning Nettleton in the conversation of 5A schools contending (or as you say playing for 3rd or 4th) in 7A West. My definition of contending would be that in a home & home you would not be able to say that  is a "W" in either contest when you see them on your schedule.
http://www.jonesborosun.com/archived_story.php?ID=40955

Sorry about that if I am not supposed to give link.

LCfan

Quite Frankly

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 07:52:18 am »
All that is fine and good, but Northside, Fayetteville and Rogers are simply a step above and have been for several years.

And of course, NLR.

Offline Ty

• Head Coach
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 08:10:17 am »
All that is fine and good, but Northside, Fayetteville and Rogers are simply a step above and have been for several years.

And of course, NLR.
Not to mention conference play and non-conference play are two completely different animals.

Offline LionCatfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 10:03:57 am »

And of course, NLR.

All that rational posting & you come back with "all that is fine and good..." LOL ... I absolutely agree with you about Northside, Fayetteville, & Rogers but thot I would acknowledge the 3 - 5A schools that are loaded and having very good years. 

LCfan   

Quite Frankly

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 10:34:52 am »
Oh I'm not slamming the other schools.  But I simply can't concede any attempt at reducing the high end nature of the 7A West girls once it was brought up.

They're the Gold Standard and your mentioning them illustrated that perfectly.

Offline trevster10

• Head Coach
  • Go Big Blue!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 09:38:22 pm »
Bryant girls got a nice redemption win tonight vs Conway 56-53. That was the worst loss in my mind, and it's nice to return them the favor. This team is good, just not at the same level as NLR, and from what I understand Fayetteville too. Nice win tonight though, for sure. Go Hornets!

Offline suprstr30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 07:57:10 pm »
El dorado girls should be back ahead of Chapel and Texarkana now b/c they beat chapel by 20 and tex by 10 at Tex.  El Dorado went through a bad 3 game losing streak and dropped one to Benton but keep in mind Chapel only beat benton by 3 so....  Outside of that 3 game slide they only lost 1 game to an out of state VERY good Bastrop team and have won two tournament (one that Texarkana was in and one that Chapel was in).  Seems like their problems are fixed and due to how weak the East is this year I would easily say that they would be in first if they were in the east.   State title will go through the South again and probably back to ELD.

Offline trevster10

• Head Coach
  • Go Big Blue!
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 08:09:56 pm »
Bryant girls over Fort Smith Northside last night in the Quarterfinals of the State tournament. 58-54.

So actually 18-3 is > 15-7

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center