• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Waldron's on road to Success

Started by DogsWin7, March 02, 2012, 08:48:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How many games will Waldron win in 2013?

0 games
2 games
3 games
4 games
5 +
Will they just be improved

DogsWin7

March 02, 2012, 08:48:17 pm Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:20:57 am by DiehardFBfan
Waldron has hired a Coach.  Coach Shane Davis from Strong.

Now let the story begin........

Dayton Kitchens

Good luck Coach Davis.     May the success you had at Strong be even greater at Waldron.

From one Bulldog team to another.

DogsWin7

Good lucK Coach Davis and the Waldron Bulldogs!!

chspirates2008

way to go coach davis now everone knows who i was talking about

DogsWin7

March 03, 2012, 09:07:28 am #4 Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:35:49 am by DiehardFBfan
So, Spring Practices are upon us and Waldron has a Coach.

What kind of offense does Coach Davis run?

On offense/defense thread - flexbone/ 4-3. etc...

Any info?

Heard mention he is a supporter of FCA!  Excellent organization IMO.

I hope he tells Waldron fans about FF or otherwise we might get bored! ;D

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 03, 2012, 09:07:28 am
So, Spring Practices are upon us and Waldron has a Coach.

What kind of offense does Coach Davis run?

On offense/defense thread - flexbone/ 4-3. etc...

Any info?

Heard mention he is a supporter of FCA!  Excellent organization IMO.

I hope he tells Waldron fans about FF or otherwise we might get bored! ;D

He will not run at Waldron anything remotely resembling what he ran at Strong.

For obvious reasons.

DogsWin7

March 03, 2012, 12:32:54 pm #6 Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:36:13 pm by DiehardFBfan
So, why don't you enlighten us Coach Kitchens?  You did afterall Coach at Strong yourself as a softball coach. 

We all are aware of the player Kenneth Dixon but what are you referring to?

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 03, 2012, 12:32:54 pm
So, why don't you enlighten us Coach Kitchens?  You did afterall Coach at Strong yourself as a softball coach. 

We all are aware of the player Kenneth Dixon but what are you referring to?

I was assistant football coach at Strong in 2008 and 2009.   

The teams Strong fielded over the last few years would in all likelihood have blown right through the best that Waldron could put on the field during those same years.

That said,   massively different types of player athletes.

To cite one example.     Strong has had speed to burn for years.    Waldron times their 40s with a sun dial (or so I've been told).   

Of course speed isn't everything.    As recently as 2005 we had two of the slowest teams in 2A playing for the state title.

DogsWin7

Pain in my side thus Dayton Kitchens was born........... ;D

Who told you Waldron times their 40s with a sun-dial?  know any kids at Waldron?  I don't.  So, I think that comment is unfair.

Positive PR is just not something you excel at is it? 

"Wish even greater success at Waldron than at Strong." Huh?  Really?  You call yourself his friend?  Bet $$$ you sent your resume in at Strong...

Where did Joan of Arc go?  The 1 who was going to save Waldron..

I would think IMO that it is just important right now to support Coach Davis 100% at this time, and hope that he can double Waldron's wins from last yr whatever they were. Plus gain the trust of his "team". 

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 03, 2012, 04:26:35 pm
Pain in my side thus Dayton Kitchens was born........... ;D

Who told you Waldron times their 40s with a sun-dial?  know any kids at Waldron?  I don't.  So, I think that comment is unfair.

"Wish even greater success at Waldron than at Strong." Huh?  Really?  You call yourself his friend?  Bet $$$ you sent your resume in at Strong...

Where did Joan of Arc go?  The 1 who was going to save Waldron..

I would think IMO that it is just important right now to support Coach Davis 100% at this time, and hope that he can double Waldron's wins from last yr whatever they were. Plus gain the trust of his "team". 

One of the coaches in that conference made that comment at the coaching clinic a year or two ago.     I just thought it was funny.    It could apply to a number of football teams.    Not every team has speed you  know.

And sure I support Coach Davis 100%.    I always have.     As I make a point of telling people,  if I had any friends, he would be my best one.

As for sending a resume to Strong?   If they open it up for applications.     Sure.   If I have to.   

whippersnapper

Ok I may step on some toes here but oh well. I hope coach Davis realizes he isn't in strong anymore and Kenneth Dixon isn't back there to run the ball anymore. I wish him well and hopes he can turn this around but he the best rb from the state the past 2 seasons which is why he won 20 games. So if he is the perfect fit, give him time Waldron. Good luck Coach Shane Davis.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 04, 2012, 12:58:11 am
Ok I may step on some toes here but oh well. I hope coach Davis realizes he isn't in strong anymore and Kenneth Dixon isn't back there to run the ball anymore. I wish him well and hopes he can turn this around but he the best rb from the state the past 2 seasons which is why he won 20 games. So if he is the perfect fit, give him time Waldron. Good luck Coach Shane Davis.
I'm quite sure he knows he'll likely never coach another Kenneth Dixon as he could be considered a once in a lifetime type of player...same way I feel about Fredi Knighten.  You rarely if ever get to coach a kid with that combination of skills.

Coach Davis is well aware of what he is getting in to and he welcomes the challenge.  I wish him and Waldron the best of luck except when they play Coach Weaver and the Mena Bearcats! :)

Panther13

Congrats to coach Davis on his new position of head coach at Waldron. May his time there be memorable and fun. I personally think he will do just fine in Waldron with the kids he has. All of the truly good coach's adapt to the players they have and mold a great system over time that fits with them. The one thing that will be different for him will be the talent level that exist at the 4A level that was not at the 2A level. This is due to just more kids available to pick from and play against.

Coach Davis needs to start winning the players and the community over right now to set the foundation for a long term success. If Coach Davis is a member and brings FCA to this program that is a positive that will help the community as a whole too.

DogsWin7

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 04, 2012, 12:58:11 am

Your a little nerveous aren't ya? ;D  afterall he now is apart of your 4-4A conference......hmmmmmm should get interesting if given time at waldron!  Little along more of a game so to speak! hahaha

DogsWin7

March 04, 2012, 12:28:01 pm #14 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:41:16 pm by DiehardFBfan
Found some interesting info under Monday morning quarterback-Fearless Friday will show all championship games via internet stream by Lanny- Post #18 tells a story about Coach Davis and his team wearing orange to raise awareness about childhood cancer.  Neat story-check it out...

whippersnapper

Ha im not worried diehard if waldron is clearly every year and they earned the win, then I'll be the first on here to congratulate them on snapping their 20 something losing streak to mena. But I also dont want to be here 3-4 years from now trying to figure out which one of us should be there next coach lol.

DogsWin7

March 04, 2012, 01:14:15 pm #17 Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:04:11 pm by DiehardFBfan
Link to WALDRON BULLDOG SCHEDULE 2012

http://www.ahsaa.org/team_schedule.asp?schID=459&the_sport=Football&the_team=WALDRON HIGH SCHOOL Bulldog&the_class=4A&the_conf=4&the_coach=SHANE DAVIS

GOOD LUCK BULLDOGS!!  Just curious when they played Mena and Mansfield! ;D

DogsWin7

March 04, 2012, 02:29:03 pm #18 Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:45:33 pm by DiehardFBfan
                          NEW BRAND OF BULLDOG FOOTBALL COMING!!!!

Coach Shane Davis Announcement/ Interview he is headed to WALDRON go check it out

Go TO Waldron URHOMETOWNSPORTS......

GO WALDRON BULLDOGS  GOOD LUCK COACH DAVIS

DogsWin7

I added a poll to this thread so at the end of the season it can hopefully shed light on a theory I have.  I hope it goes in the direction I want, if not I may have to delete it before waldron's last game ;D   

ANewLegacy

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 03, 2012, 01:45:45 pm

The teams Strong fielded over the last few years would in all likelihood have blown right through the best that Waldron could put on the field during those same years.

To cite one example.     Strong has had speed to burn for years.    Waldron times their 40s with a sun dial (or so I've been told).   

If I'm not mistaken I believe we had one of the fastest kids in the state last year, who started both on offense and defense. And before that we had a QB who couldn't be caught on the field.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: ANewLegacy on March 05, 2012, 08:16:53 pm

If I'm not mistaken I believe we had one of the fastest kids in the state last year, who started both on offense and defense. And before that we had a QB who couldn't be caught on the field.

That is great.    It was a couple of years ago and it was a coach from Mena or Mansfield if I recall correctly.

DogsWin7

March 05, 2012, 09:32:12 pm #22 Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:47:30 pm by DiehardFBfan
that tells me all I need to know then^ ;D  it has to be true if Coach V. or whippersnapper said it!
::)

That's funny, of course they want to borrow waldron's sun-dial.  haha! (just kidding)

Waldron had speed back in 2003 I believe when they won conference championship. not for sure on that but maybe ANewLegacy knows?

why do i keep getting slapped on here!  whippersnapper it was a joke! 

whippersnapper

I think I may have only slapped you once diehard. Lol I know 2 of those 5 claps are mine though. And now 3 cause you got 6 ;)

DogsWin7

Thanks whippersnapper ;)

Must be my good friend Dayton slapping me around ;D (i'll admit I have been a little tough on him)

NEW BRAND OF BULLDOG FOOTBALL
                                                          AT
                                                        WHS

looks like that would make a great t-shirt! ;D

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 06, 2012, 09:03:48 am
Thanks whippersnapper ;)

Must be my good friend Dayton slapping me around ;D (i'll admit I have been a little tough on him)

AT
                                                        WHS

To be honest,   until it was mentioned a couple of posts up,  I had never noticed the "clap/slap" icons.

Panther13

Quote from: ANewLegacy on March 05, 2012, 08:16:53 pm

Well I know Heber had the fastest player in the 4A Ethan Bly who was the state champion in the  100 and 200. He played wide receiver , running back and D-back last year and will be back this year too.

As with any team speed alone does not win games you need some size up front to go with that or your speed never gets anywhere.

whippersnapper

Has anybody heard when they are introducing coach Davis or if they have already?

DogsWin7

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 06, 2012, 09:38:13 am
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 06, 2012, 09:03:48 am
Thanks whippersnapper ;)

AT
                                                        WHS

To be honest,   until it was mentioned a couple of posts up,  I had never noticed the "clap/slap" icons.

my bad, Dayton.  Glad I haven't made you to mad....maybe coming from my home post on the 5A board at G!  Steve can get back make pay-back fun..

DogsWin7

March 06, 2012, 11:49:22 am #29 Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:14:50 pm by DiehardFBfan
Quote from: whippersnapper on March 06, 2012, 10:15:26 am
Has anybody heard when they are introducing coach Davis or if they have already?

Have no idea.  I only learned about the urhometownsports website a couple of weeks ago on the basketball thread.  Apparently GoodBetterBetz does that and he had posted the brackets for the state tournament, so I thought since he was from waldron he would post on the new coach there and I guessed right.  He has a good independent webpage of Waldron. It is seperate I noted from Waldron Schools.  He does it with his own funding and advertisers and expresses his own views and not the views of the school. ( i read it at the bottom of his webpage today)

DogsWin7

Does anyone know when Coach Davis will move to Waldron?

Assits, are they going to run spring practices etc?

Any word on what the players thought of the hire and are the excited to get started?
It's going to be a great opportunity I think for them.

I decided to wait till mid-season to cast my vote, think they could be 1 to make some improvement this yr. IMO

Guess Coach V. doesn't want to congratulate Waldron just yet.  But considering they are rivals I can understand why.  He maybe waiting to see what the season holds 1st ;D

the green moose

To all the Mooses friends on this board please, go to the after the whistle board and view the latest topic the Moose has posted...please everybody it would be very much appreicated thank you!!

GoodBetterBetz

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 06, 2012, 11:49:22 am
Quote from: whippersnapper on March 06, 2012, 10:15:26 am

Have no idea.  I only learned about the urhometownsports website a couple of weeks ago on the basketball thread.  Apparently GoodBetterBetz does that and he had posted the brackets for the state tournament, so I thought since he was from waldron he would post on the new coach there and I guessed right.  He has a good independent webpage of Waldron. It is seperate I noted from Waldron Schools.  He does it with his own funding and advertisers and expresses his own views and not the views of the school. ( i read it at the bottom of his webpage today)
Thank you for the kind words I appreciate it. I have talked to Coach Davis several times, I do not know when they plan to make the formal announcement or introduction, but as soon as I find out I'll let you know. I do know that Coach Davis and his wife plan on spending spring break in Waldron, introducing himself, shaking hands and meeting the residents of Waldron. I can not express how excited and optimistic I am. Looking forward to great things!

whippersnapper

Has he told you what he may be looking to run offensively and defensively

DogsWin7

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 07, 2012, 08:51:46 am

Spoken like a true coach! ;D  Why?  You are a little nervous!!!  hahaha ;D  Wanting to prepare now, when spring practices start.  Early bird catches the worm! ;D   hate to admit it, but I would be doing the same thing. :P

GoodBetterBetz

Offensively no, he is going to evaluate the athletes before he decides and defensively he said he'll probably run a 4-4 or 4-3.

DogsWin7

Quote from: GoodBetterBetz on March 07, 2012, 09:04:18 am
Offensively no, he is going to evaluate the athletes before he decides and defensively he said he'll probably run a 4-4 or 4-3.

Don't help him!  He's from Mena!  They are in Waldron's conference!!  You need Waldron to win.   Come on man..............  Coach Davis has got'em worried ;D  I may have to drive down and watch the Mena vs Waldron game myself.  (unless of course it is a rivial game for G)

I saw that whippersnapper!  Slap! ;D

GoodBetterBetz

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 07, 2012, 09:09:20 am
Quote from: GoodBetterBetz on March 07, 2012, 09:04:18 am

Don't help him!  He's from Mena!  They are in Waldron's conference!!  You need Waldron to win.   Come on man..............  Coach Davis has got'em worried ;D  I may have to drive down and watch the Mena vs Waldron game myself.  (unless of course it is a rivial game for G)

I saw that whippersnapper!  Slap! ;D
That's not helping them a bit lol. Kind of reminds me of when one of my good friends worked at a rival newspaper and if he missed a game, he used to call me and ask for stats from the game. I gave them to him, because I knew I was gonna write a better story then him, using the same stats. I have that same confidence in Coach Davis!! GO DAWGS!!

DogsWin7

March 07, 2012, 09:23:36 am #38 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:32:06 am by DiehardFBfan
   I know, all coaches know the plays and usually how to stop them. Execution my friend, who can get it done.   I just have fun kidding whippersnapper!  ;D

Fun to build "Good Spirited" school Rivals!  All part of the Fun of football...bragging rights ;D

Checked schedule Greewood is at home against Conway, 6A now.

whippersnapper

Well the game will be at bearcat stadium diehard, and maybe I am trying to get into the mind a little bit ;) what he ran at strong and what he will run at Waldron I figure will be 2 different offenses. And diehard sounds like we may have to make our move during spring break! ;)

DogsWin7

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 07, 2012, 09:41:17 am
Well the game will be at bearcat stadium diehard, and maybe I am trying to get into the mind a little bit ;) what he ran at strong and what he will run at Waldron I figure will be 2 different offenses. And diehard sounds like we may have to make our move during spring break! ;)

Ahhhh yes, the "Meeting of the Minds".  I might be able with all my old retired knowledge to even lead you in the right direction ;D but Coach. V. is nowhere around.  I hope I haven't made him mad but we have to have him at the meeting for the Mansfield side if the plan's going to work. ;) 

Bearcat stadium huh? Well, I heard that Mena didn't do as well last year as in yrs past, had a hard time getting things going.  What's this year promise to hold?

Dayton Kitchens

Shouldn't you consider that AFTER looking at your personnel?

whippersnapper

Yes I understand that you need to evaluate your players first. But every coach has an offense and defense he is more accustomed to and has an idea of what they would LIKE to run.
Diehard, I said it during the season that Waldron had a lot of fight in them this last season. They lost to Dover by a td and didnt get mercy ruled by Boonville. As for the last game between mena and Waldron. Well we had no fight to us in the game. The players just knew it was Waldron and that they would win. I hope that mindset changes though. We had a soph at QB that game and he was rattled the WHOLE night and I think we threw somewhere like 10 pass attempts with him. This years game I hope will be different, mena is looking to be a very good team. But you never know till the season starts

DogsWin7

whippersnapper son, you are way nicer than me.  history says I would have let Dayton have it, but had to get new bloodpressure meds.  I am working on not being the "Cranky old geezer" ;D

bleudog

March 07, 2012, 01:58:05 pm #44 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:00:40 pm by bleudog

Quote from: Hardwood00 on December 14, 2011, 11:34:45 pm
I credit Coach Langston, Strong's high school principle, for their success. After Strong's loss to Parkers Chapel, Strong put Langston in control of the offensive play calling and Coach Jackson as their defensive coordinator. I caught wind that Their "head coach" was going to lose his job and that was right after the PC loss. No telling now after they brought a championship home.

Quote from: bleudog on December 15, 2011, 07:46:08 am
I had heard Strong used Dixon primarily from the running back spot until the PC loss and then moved him to the single wing QB position after that.  Is that right?

Quote from: Hardwood00 on December 15, 2011, 01:37:04 pmYes, that is correct. Langston came in and changed up the formation and plays.

DogsWin7

March 07, 2012, 02:05:22 pm #45 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:37:36 pm by DiehardFBfan
 :P

bleudog

March 07, 2012, 02:30:27 pm #46 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:13:55 pm by bleudog
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 07, 2012, 02:05:22 pm
Quote from: bleudog on March 07, 2012, 01:58:05 pm

Quote from: Hardwood00 on December 14, 2011, 11:34:45 pm
I credit Coach Langston, Strong's high school principle, for their success. After Strong's loss to Parkers Chapel, Strong put Langston in control of the offensive play calling and Coach Jackson as their defensive coordinator. I caught wind that Their "head coach" was going to lose his job and that was right after the PC loss. No telling now after they brought a championship home.

Quote from: bleudog on December 15, 2011, 07:46:08 am
I had heard Strong used Dixon primarily from the running back spot until the PC loss and then moved him to the single wing QB position after that.  Is that right?

Quote from: Hardwood00 on December 15, 2011, 01:37:04 pmYes, that is correct. Langston came in and changed up the formation and plays.

???   Are you saying Coach Davis has nothing to do with winning the state title at Strong?

Or is this an outrageous attempt to get back at a Great Coach for quitting Strong?

Either way, it's pretty tacky to use other peoples quotes and not your own if you have something to say son, just say it.  were listening

I never implied Davis had nothing to with the championship and I have no control over what you infer from reading posts. 

As far as the quotes, I was taught giving credit for a quote was preferential to plagiarism or hearsay.  H00's posts seemed like they might shed some light on the offense question in the thread.  It does appear H00 thinks Langston and Jackson contributed greatly to Strong's success after the PC loss.

Small classification coaches (and that includes 4A coaches) are subject to changing jobs on a pretty regular basis to move up the profession.  A 4A and down program that can keep a good one for any period of time is lucky.  Can't blame a guy for moving up the ladder.

Davis won 20 games and a state title in his two years as head coach at Strong.  That's what the record book will show.  That same book will show a very talented Kenneth Dixon was a junior and senior during those years.

H00 was not the only person who said the loss to PC at Strong in 2011 was followed by some major tension and subsequent changes in the program.  Only Davis can say if those changes played any part in his decision to leave the Bulldog program.  I applaud Davis for his gracious quotes in the article the local paper ran publicising his resignation.   

Quote from: bleudog on March 04, 2012, 07:53:32 am
EDNT article about Davis' move:  CLICK HERE

Good luck to Coach Davis in his new position and to Strong as they search for Davis' replacement. 

DogsWin7

March 07, 2012, 02:38:45 pm #47 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:31:09 pm by DiehardFBfan
Glad you cleared that up.

To set the record straight bleudog, I didn't infer anything.  I asked you a question.

Do you expect an olddog to believe that you did NOT mean to imply anything?  bull.

You meant it or why else would you drag that up to post on a 4A thread (where Davis was just hired)  that has nothing to do with the 2A thread from where your from?  I can understand sharing info. I also, can understand someone being jealous but what I don't understand is how you feel that posting that to a school that has been down for a few yrs. is helpful to a bunch of young kids who are desperately seeking a New Coach to come in and help them.  Coaches are Mentor's as well as Coaches.  To try to blemish that in the eyes of a child is cruel.  Whatever your intentions. IMO

Be sure and come back on here at the end of Waldron's season and see the improvement they will have made.  Give him some time, and his record will continue to speak for itself.

Coach Venny Slocombe

March 07, 2012, 02:55:45 pm #48 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:57:16 pm by Coach Venny Slocombe
Coach Davis has a long road ahead of him in my opinion. I was at a 7 on 7 a few of summers ago and heard coach Rhetman talking about his numbers and when two-a-days started. He told a group of coaches that he had only about 30% of his players that showed up for summer workouts, and only about 60 % of his players on the first day of two-a-days. He said the rest of his team normally showed up on the first day of school. He was ask why that was and his explanation made sense. He said that most kids in Waldron were farm kids and had to work during the summer and alot of them were just plain poor and had to have summer jobs if they wanted any spending money. I can see that in Waldron. Asked if he disciplined them for missing he said flat out, NO. He said that he couldn't due to the number of kids and the fact that he would not get backed. If he desciplined all of them then they would not have very good numbers. This pans out folks if you look at it. Waldron always has great numbers in junior high but seem to taper off in Senior high. Just what I overheard one day...take it for what it is worth... :)

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 07, 2012, 02:55:45 pm
Coach Davis has a long road ahead of him in my opinion. I was at a 7 on 7 a few of summers ago and heard coach Rhetman talking about his numbers and when two-a-days started. He told a group of coaches that he had only about 30% of his players that showed up for summer workouts, and only about 60 % of his players on the first day of two-a-days. He said the rest of his team normally showed up on the first day of school. He was ask why that was and his explanation made sense. He said that most kids in Waldron were farm kids and had to work during the summer and alot of them were just plain poor and had to have summer jobs if they wanted any spending money. I can see that in Waldron. Asked if he disciplined them for missing he said flat out, NO. He said that he couldn't due to the number of kids and the fact that he would not get backed. If he desciplined all of them then they would not have very good numbers. This pans out folks if you look at it. Waldron always has great numbers in junior high but seem to taper off in Senior high. Just what I overheard one day...take it for what it is worth... :)

Just three years before the school closed for good,  the football coach at Altheimer (hope I spelled it right) couldn't get his players to practice until school began for several reasons.   

So he didn't even bother with two a days.

He canceled all his nonconference games,  played a 7 game regular season, finished the regular season 6-1 (losing only to Totty's Rison) and advancing to the third round of the playoffs, finishing 8-2 overall......with only 16 players on the team.

Many coaches stand sadly on the sidelines year after year hoping one day they will have the "athletes" that fit their system and they can win with.

A real coach takes what he has,  adjusts to circumstances,  turns liabilities into assets, and goes to war.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas