• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Har-Ber Transfers to Springdale High

Started by soccerhawg, April 24, 2018, 02:17:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pr8hd

Somewhere a lawyer is smiling like a Cheshire cat.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

What a series of unfortunate events. You mean to tell me that the joke that is currently Har-Ber football got upset over kids leaving to go to the old school and then they [Har-Ber] have to forfeit games for an ineligible player?

This is far more exciting than the first round of the 7A playoffs where all the good teams don't even play.

Baitshop

Quote from: sickofwhiners on November 03, 2018, 07:39:41 am
Surely the Sprimgdal School District wouldn't have ordered the story to be taken down without reviewing the information gathered by the reporters. Surely, they wouldn't have done this while the students were away at their national journalism convention.

http://chicago.journalismconvention.org/

The coverup continues.

What does that mean and how is the link pertinent??

beach bum

Quote from: GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over on November 03, 2018, 12:22:58 pm
What a series of unfortunate events. You mean to tell me that the joke that is currently Har-Ber football got upset over kids leaving to go to the old school and then they [Har-Ber] have to forfeit games for an ineligible player?

This is far more exciting than the first round of the 7A playoffs where all the good teams don't even play.

You stole the words out of all our mouths we were thinking....

Harry Rex Vonner

Quote from: TheDale on November 01, 2018, 08:53:52 pm
I just LOVE how there was nobody whining and moaning for the last 12 years when a majority of the talent transferred West or South before playing a Varsity snap, sometimes after. But now that Springdale gets some talent from the West, it is suddenly a problem and needs to be remedied.

Frankly, I can't say that I'm surprised by this hit job, it speaks for the mentality of the West side.

CoachRH

I can't see the Page as someone must have took it down.
Knowing some of the kids that transferred and others that stayed I pray for them all.
It's nit just football...I also know others that transfer or move just based off the schools!

ghostoffootballpast

Looks like the entire situation has too many twists and turns to know what really went on.

grizz

Can we all agree on one thing?
NWA people are drama queens. 
Sheesh...
We been stealing players from each other for 50 or 60 years down here in Sebastian County, and you haven't heard a peep about it.
You new money clowns up there have one little incident, and the whole world has to know it.  lol

Y'all need a bigger broom or a bigger rug.  Keep that crap in house.  Makes you all look bad.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Quote from: grizz on November 03, 2018, 10:42:44 pm
Sheesh...
We been stealing players from each other for 50 or 60 years down here in Sebastian County, and you haven't heard a peep about it.
You new money clowns up there have one little incident, and the whole world has to know it.  lol

Y'all need a bigger broom or a bigger rug.  Keep that crap in house.  Makes you all look bad.

Well said; gotta role with the punches.

Springdale Alumni

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 30, 2018, 04:38:33 pm
The really sad part is this is being stirred up by one set of parents at SHS because their son got beat out by one of the transfers so they would rather drag the team down and lose as long as their kid gets to play. THAT is what is wrong with society, not some clown burning stuff he was never going to wear again  ;D ;D ;D

Also there were several untrue statements made in the article but journalistic integrity went out the window years ago........

Let's hear the other side of the story, and if there had actually been a competition that would have also been great.  It's my understanding that you, the coach, the booster club president, and the announcer were texting each other about the kid you are talking about in your quote.  You have apparently stooped to a new low by talking down 17 year old kids.  I think you need to re-evaluate, and take responsibility.

AirWarren

Quote from: grizz on November 03, 2018, 10:42:44 pm
Sheesh...

Bookface, instagay, and Twatter. Changed the brain function of society.

wildcatfan13

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 03, 2018, 08:03:01 am
Somewhere a lawyer is smiling like a Cheshire cat.

More than one.  The national media is involved now.  I expect a story to be forthcoming shortly.  The Springdale School District is going to look really bad when it all comes out.  Censorship will get you sued and embarrassed.

Willie_Cutts

beach bum

December 01, 2018, 01:23:23 pm #163 Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:26:43 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Willie_Cutts on December 01, 2018, 01:02:07 pm
They didn't expect a bunch of students to stand their ground or know their rights
They were wrong.  https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/a-high-school-newspaper-was-suspended-for-publishing-an

If the students have everything saved from interviews to back up what they wrote then the Springdale district is about to look real ugly in a lawsuit. If they don't have saved audio or saved documentation then its not very smart on their end also..... As well if they did make anything up then it will turn on them ultimately for printing something inaccurate. You can't just censor something because you don't like what was written or shown on media outlets....... Kind of sounds like what a guy we all know says on TV or tweets saying he wants to do. In this Springdale situation one of the parties is about to look bad, and if its the school district then they have more to lose in negative perception because they are one of the biggest districts in the state if not the biggest now.

wildcatfan13

December 01, 2018, 02:26:39 pm #164 Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:28:37 pm by sickofwhiners
The kids have it all and district doesn't care.  They censored the kids because they have it all. That's the only reason the kids haven't posted it all.

DerekOxford

Will be very interesting to see what happens over the next month with regards to the district.

Brian G

Well, we have in fact seen this story picked up by a national feed who is touting the "free press" mantra.

Of course, that article only told the 4th quarter of that story and omitted facts.  A real hatchet job.  Let's see if the real truth to this story and initial chapter of this story of players that went from SHS to HBHS over the last 5 years comes to light.

A celebrated case of "Fake News" article. ::)

Brian G

December 02, 2018, 08:44:05 pm #168 Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:46:01 pm by B.G.
Here is my reference:  https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/419294-highschool-newspaper-suspended-over-disruptive-investigation

And then long after the fact, part of the local media plays catchup while other ignore it:
https://5newsonline.com/2018/12/02/hs-newspaper-suspended-after-publishing-investigation-into-football-players-transfers/

Also of note is the 5 News article shows a "Fayetteville" origin for the story.  That's misleading too.

Maynard G Krebs

Justlikegoodfootball

The whole NWA transfer thing is a joke. It goes on and in some instances is bragged about. If i recall correctly the FHS announcer stated that FHS had 14 transfers one year ( patton was coach) like it was a race to the finish with a trophy. How many kids transferred from Farmington to FHS. There have been transfers between other districts. The transfer rules are too lenient and I doubt the AAA will do anything about it.

AirWarren

Brian G

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 03, 2018, 01:28:51 pm
Dem/Gaz just posted the story online
Even though they new about it all along.  They waited to let it break from an outside of the area source and then follow it with their own.

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on December 03, 2018, 06:01:06 pm
Even though they new about it all along.  They waited to let it break from an outside of the area source and then follow it with their own.

They are OG media. This ain't their first rodeo lol.

dtrainsdad

No dog in this hunt, in fact, I just found out about the hoopla when my wife told me.  My son graduated from HB several years ago and it was no secret that most of the kids did not like to play for Coach Wood.  The first time I met him when my son was a sophomore, I told my wife later that he was a dipstick, a power hungry little man and was probably hacked that Gus left him in Springdale.  Now, years later, my opinion has not changed a bit.  My wife and I continued to go to the HB games for a few years after my son graduated because we knew a lot of the kids.  Woods sideline demeanor was still lacking, he still played his favorites and still used the same 6 plays or so.  One of the guys sitting close to us predicted 7 plays in a row before he finally got one wrong.  If it can be done from the seats, then it stands to reason that an opposing coach could do it even better from watching a little bit of game film.  Wood wasted a lot of talented kids over the years just by being a tinpot dictator.  Having said all of that, I am not surprised by what is going on now.  I remember it going on when I was kid in the 80's.  The only difference is that it was Shiloh filching kids from the bigger schools.  I am ambivalent if it right or wrong today, but it does go to show the AAA is not doing its job.  Like that comes as a shock to those of us that have been watching it go on for a long time.   Maybe, when the dust settles, something good will come from it.  Maybe.  I will say that Rollins and his crew probably shot themselves in the foot with the way that they seem to be handling it, but I have never been fond of Rollins, ever since he allowed  the old growth trees (a pecan and a walnut if my memory serves) down that used to sit in front of flat building after telling the students they would be saved.  Maybe that is a little petty considering that he has done a good job building schools and doing it responsibly during his tenure, but hey, I liked those trees.   I will make some popcorn, sit back and see what happens in the here and now. 

bleudog

December 04, 2018, 09:04:58 am #175 Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:08:15 am by bleudog
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 03, 2018, 01:28:51 pm
Dem/Gaz just posted the story online

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/ArDemocrat/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=ARDEMOCRAT%2F2018%2F12%2F04&entity=Ar00911&sk=2F5597F4&mode=text

https://splc.org/2018/12/censored-story-athletes-transfers-in-question/

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

I'd like to ask Coach Clark one thing.  Your team went 7-4 this year, and all year long this "incident" has been hovering over your head.  Was it worth it?

HarBer Dad

December 04, 2018, 03:32:03 pm #177 Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:35:10 pm by HarBer Dad
https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/dec/04/springdale-district-silent-on-report-of/

District is allowing the article to be re-posted.  "After consideration of the legal landscape..."

Geez who didn't see that coming.  ::)

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: HarBer Dad on December 04, 2018, 03:32:03 pm
https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/dec/04/springdale-district-silent-on-report-of/

District is allowing the article to be re-posted.  "After consideration of the legal landscape..."

Waiting for the listen Mister

Brian G

What we need now is the SHS paper to write an article.

Willie_Cutts

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that the article was out there anyway because a bunch of old dudes in administration didn't understand that just because you "delete" an article it is never really gone and those meddling kids can always find it  ;). I am sure they would have come to the same conclusion if the article had stayed "deleted" ::)

beach bum

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on December 04, 2018, 09:29:32 am
I'd like to ask Coach Clark one thing.  Your team went 7-4 this year, and all year long this "incident" has been hovering over your head.  Was it worth it?

+1

beach bum

So they're admitting they were wrong... Only after being called out for it. How lovely....

Busman

It's always prudent to follow the law.

we_hate_the_band

December 05, 2018, 09:00:27 am #184 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:39:48 am by we_hate_the_band
So for 10 years every Tom, Dick, and Herrera that was worth anything in athletics ended up at Har-Ber but the first time the polarity reverses NWA has a meltdown.

Geez if you're gonna have a recruiting scandal at least give the parents a job or something to sweeten the pot.

beach bum

December 05, 2018, 10:22:47 am #185 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:30:37 am by beach bum
Quote from: we_hate_the_band on December 05, 2018, 09:00:27 am
So for 10 years every Tom, Dick, and Herrera that was worth anything in athletics ended up at Har-Ber but the first time the polarity reverses NWA has a meltdown.

Geez if you're gonna have a recruiting scandal at least give the parents a job or something to sweeten the pot.

I don't think people are as much upset now about the recruiting going back and forth as they are about the Harber administrators sanctioning their journalism program which is absurd. Recruiting has been going on forever and its never going to stop. A school shutting down their journalism program is something I have not heard of and doing so just because they did not like the negative publicity it gave the Springdale district as a whole...... and I am sure the courts will deem illegal if it all ends up going that far between the kids and the Harber administration.

Am I right or wrong?....  but I thought this is more now about the Harber administration doing what they did than this is about the recruiting. The recruiting thing does not amount to a criminal act. What the Harber administrators did could end up with the judicial system involved if the parents of the kids in the journalism class are mad enough. That's obviously up to them to decide.

Willie_Cutts

December 05, 2018, 11:07:03 am #186 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:18:00 am by Willie_Cutts
Quote from: beach bum on December 05, 2018, 10:22:47 am

I don't think people are as much upset now about the recruiting going back and forth as they are about the Harber administrators sanctioning their journalism program which is absurd. Recruiting has been going on forever and its never going to stop. A school shutting down their journalism program is something I have not heard of and doing so just because they did not like the negative publicity it gave the Springdale district as a whole...... and I am sure the courts will deem illegal if it all ends up going that far between the kids and the Harber administration.

Am I right or wrong?....  but I thought this is more now about the Harber administration doing what they did than this is about the recruiting. The recruiting thing does not amount to a criminal act. What the Harber administrators did could end up with the judicial system involved if the parents of the kids in the journalism class are mad enough. That's obviously up to them to decide.
No you are exactly right. The transfer story was over and had died down. That was a very well researched article by student journalist but had only limited local interest and since football season was over for both teams the story was pretty much a non issue. THE story is Springdale School administration trying to censor and suspend the paper and threatening to fire the advisor over a story they don't claim is inaccurate just that it is inconvenient and does not fit their narrative . It is interesting that if you look at the national articles about this (Buzzfeed News, SPLC, Chicago Tribune etc) everyone gets that it is about Freedom of the Press and Censorship and NOT about football or Harber VS Springdale. Unfortunately if you read any of the comments on the local stories a lot of it comes back to the "Well Harber has done this for years and they are especially upset because they got beat...". Do you seriously think the national media (and this is now a national story) cares if some Springdale Arkansas High School football player's transfers were legal or not?  For the love of God THIS IS NO LONGER A FOOTBALL STORY THIS IS A FREEDOM OF THE PRESS STORY... and it is not over yet. The administration needs to be careful what they ask for. How is it going to look if the next issue of the paper they want to "review prior to publication" has a scathing article about censorship and how this whole thing played out ? Do you approve it or not? I am sure a lot of national publications would be interested in that decision....

Brian G

Well, the original story was the amount of negativity that occurred between the transfers and the end of the game between the two.  That was kept on the down low.  The article is liking reading the final chapter of a book without reading the book.

we_hate_the_band

December 05, 2018, 11:22:33 am #188 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:27:39 am by we_hate_the_band
Quote from: beach bum on December 05, 2018, 10:22:47 am

Timing. Story is released week 10 of football season. There's no doubt that the story was released to spite the other high school. At the time of the release, both high schools are in the playoffs. By the end of the week, one is forfeiting games and out.

My theory is simple, this whole incident was an embarrassment to Springdale Public Schools. I'm not pointing fingers but all involved have their parts in it. It is admirable that the HB student newspaper actually had the moxie to do the grunt work for a story that the NWADG would just polish and wax over. However, regardless of the intentions of the kids who transferred, they are just kids. Can't Discipline the kids for doing their jobs, blame it on the Advisor. Rookie Mistake.

If I were a parent and my child was mentioned by name by a student newspaper at another school, I would be irate. It's borderline bullying. Bullying, by definition in most school handbooks, is organized and ongoing harassment. I could see certain parents winning that fight.

Here's the long and short of it: Kids left because they wanted change. People were upset on both sides. Somebody tried to pet a burning dog and now it's Christmas and their world is on fire.

game on

If stories are true its a combination of the bad PR and the way in which the school paper and those in charge handled it.  When you work for the school and the boss asked to read controversial pieces before they are printed, you are borderline insubordinate if you do not make the piece available before printing.   Most school administrators don't like surprises. 

beach bum

Quote from: game on on December 05, 2018, 01:22:24 pm
If stories are true its a combination of the bad PR and the way in which the school paper and those in charge handled it.  When you work for the school and the boss asked to read controversial pieces before they are printed, you are borderline insubordinate if you do not make the piece available before printing.   Most school administrators don't like surprises.

School administration is not a dictatorship that can censor something just because they don't like what they hear.... Schools are tax payer funded institutions not above the 1st amendment... Your job can fire you for saying something they don't like as they are private institutions, but a tax payer funded institution can not censor a news paper...... period. There was no insubordination whatsoever. Just an offended administrator who was in the wrong.

game on

I didn't say an administrator would or would not censor, but as the school leader I have no problem with them knowing or asking to know what is coming out in the school paper.  As I said, administrators don't like surprises.  My understanding is the courts have ruled several times on the issue of freedom of press in the school paper.  Asking to know in advance is not censorship.  One of the most important things for a school to function well is cooperation and trust all the way up and down the scale. 

Willie_Cutts

couple of points:
if I was a parent and my kid was mentioned by name in a school newspaper I would probably be more upset with my kid and say something like "When you were approached by someone who identified themselves as doing an article on the transfers for the school paper why did you agree to talk to them and say that you were going to the other school just for football?" This is not even close to bullying. This is not saying the players sucked or anything like that. this was actual reporting with interviews and sources to back them up.

As for allowing the administration or principal prior access, student journalist and their advisors are protected under state law in Arkansas from just such actions from what I understand from many of the national articles. It's a little different than the principal asking to see the lesson plans for math class. It is not insubordination , it is exercising freedom of the press . As long as the articles are factual and do not meet the established criteria of being demeaning or slanderous ect the advisor is within her rights to refuse prior approval.

footballfan-tastic

This comes from the NSPA, (National Scholastic Press Association).   "While there exists fairly strong case law holding that prior review is unconstitutional at the public college level, there is no similar legal authority that flatly prohibits the practice in high schools. Indeed at least one federal appellate court has stated clearly that, "Writers on a high school newspaper do not have an unfettered constitutional right to be free from pre-publication review," and the Supreme Court, while not quite as blunt, has said that school officials can exercise "prepublication control" over school-sponsored high school media, even absent written guidelines."

The article in question was a clarification of "prior review" versus "prior restraint".

Baitshop

^^^^THIS^^^^
It's a class/extracurricular activity, not a job.

Pat Swilling

Coach Clark gonna make it through this mess ok?

Baitshop

Why wouldn't he..?? Did he violate some Springdale school district or AAA policy?

Pat Swilling

I'm really referring to the video that leaked earlier this year.

Baitshop

That's what I'm talkin about too...

While he may regret going to one of the transfers home, I don't think that that's a violation of a Springdale school system or AAA rule. May not have look good, but I'm not sure that it's illegal either.

Willie_Cutts

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 05, 2018, 06:27:24 pm
This comes from the NSPA, (National Scholastic Press Association).   "While there exists fairly strong case law holding that prior review is unconstitutional at the public college level, there is no similar legal authority that flatly prohibits the practice in high schools. Indeed at least one federal appellate court has stated clearly that, "Writers on a high school newspaper do not have an unfettered constitutional right to be free from pre-publication review," and the Supreme Court, while not quite as blunt, has said that school officials can exercise "prepublication control" over school-sponsored high school media, even absent written guidelines."

The article in question was a clarification of "prior review" versus "prior restraint".
From what I understand from this article unless certain are met (obscene etc) prior review by administration is against the Arkansas law passed in 1995 https://splc.org/2018/12/arkansas-high-school-paper-republishes-censored-story-but-prior-review-and-threat-to-advisers-job-remain/

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas