• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2009 MLB Thread

Started by msubulldogs21, January 09, 2009, 11:35:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

msubulldogs21

New year, might as well go ahead and get the new thread going. We can keep all baseball discussion, updates, scores, etc in this thread, just like last year. When it gets closer to the season I'll make some predictions and stuff.

Anyway, to start off '09 with a bang I figured I'd post this:

YES

jbell96

Too bad you don't have a PS3. ;D

msubulldogs21

Quote from: jbell96 on January 09, 2009, 11:50:25 pm

lolwut

Other than the one I bought back in April? :)

RHS

In 5 months I should have one. Will be my first PS ever.

CHSBISON77

WIN on the PS3 cover...

GO REDSOX !!!  ;D

jbell96

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on January 10, 2009, 12:12:45 am

lolwut

Other than the one I bought back in April? :)

My bad, I thought you still just had your PS2.

msubulldogs21

The Red Sox signed Takashi Saito yesterday to add to an already deep bullpen. With the stacked 'pen I get the feeling someone is on their way out in a trade to Texas for Saltalamacchia. It might take Buchholz or Michael Bowden as well, but there's a decent chance it ends up happening. I doubt Varitek is coming back.

Papelbon
Masterson
Okajima
Delcarmen
Ramirez
Lopez
Saito

Now THAT, my Cardinal friends, is how you put together a bullpen.

bulldogs1159

I would like to start off my posting in this thread by saying:

Frick the cubs and everything about that awful organization.

msubulldogs21

Jim Rice! He made the HOF today by 7 votes! I'm so happy for him.

IT'S ABOUT TIME

AB™

Rice was the most feared hitter in baseball for 10 years and it took this long for him to get voted in.  Unreal.  I know 10 years to some may not seem long, but how many other players can claim that they were the best hitter in baseball for an entire decade?

Infamous

Derek Lowe is heading to Atlanta for 4/60.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: Infamous on January 13, 2009, 02:37:00 pm

I'm glad we didn't give him that type of money.

Atlanta overpaid a little bit, but they also desperately needed to do something too.

RHS

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on January 12, 2009, 01:44:52 pm

IT'S ABOUT TIME

Only took what, 14 years?

Also, my favorite person to listen talk got in. Ricky is happy Ricky is going in and Ricky will make a great speech, mainly about Ricky.

suspended

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on January 13, 2009, 08:12:38 pm
Quote from: Infamous on January 13, 2009, 02:37:00 pm

I'm glad we didn't give him that type of money.

Atlanta overpaid a little bit, but they also desperately needed to do something too.

Yep, glad we got him.

Infamous

I can't believe there were writers who actually left Ricky off of their ballots. He only has more stolen bases and scored more runs than anyone who's played the game.

suspended

Maybe they just like flashier stats such as home runs and RBI's

AB™

There has never been a player be unanimously voted into the baseball HOF. Not Willie Mays. Not Babe Ruth. No one.

jbell96

Quote from: RHS on January 13, 2009, 08:56:32 pm
Quote from: msubulldogs21 on January 12, 2009, 01:44:52 pm

IT'S ABOUT TIME
Also, my favorite person to listen talk got in. Ricky is happy Ricky is going in and Ricky will make a great speech, mainly about Ricky.

My favorite moment was after he broke the stolen base record when at the end of his speech he said "I am the greatest of all time. Thank you"

Peety

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on January 12, 2009, 01:17:07 am

how are they awful? they just signed milton bradley. to add some power to the middle of the lineup. they will have the best record again  this season in the national league. hopefully they wont choke again

jbell96

Awful = No World Series title since 1908.

Infamous

The best record in the N.L. doesn't mean much if you're swept out of the playoffs.

suspended

Quote from: Peety on January 14, 2009, 11:56:34 am

how are they awful? they just signed milton bradley. to add some power to the middle of the lineup. they will have the best record again  this season in the national league. hopefully they wont choke again

i'm sure every team in the NL Central is shakin in their boots at that move.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Peety on January 14, 2009, 11:56:34 am

They are the Cubs. It should be redundant if you call them awful. 

Infamous

Boston locked up another one of their young, cornerstone players today with Youk agreeing to a 4/40 extension.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: Infamous on January 15, 2009, 04:34:11 pm
Boston locked up another one of their young, cornerstone players today with Youk agreeing to a 4/40 extension.

I think I just fainted. Holy crap.

Pedroia got 6/40. Youk got 4/40. Incredible.

That's getting the job done, Theo. Now if we can just lock up Jason Bay.

Just for the heck of it, what do you think Cashman would've given Youk? 5/80? 5/100?

SMC

The Cubs were able to avoid arbitration and sign Kevin Gregg, last year's closer for the Marlins. Him and Marmol should be really good on the back end of the bullpen and as much as he was a Cub mainstay, I'm glad Kerry Wood is no longer here and closing.

We also added Orioles SP Garrett Olsen in a trade to finally get rid of Felix Pie. He was out of options back to AAA and he was never going to play especially since we signed Bradley to play RF and now Fukudome and Reed Johnson will play all the games in CF. We also signed Joey Gathright from KC and So Taguchi from Philly to provide some OF depth.

Rumors are that the prospects we picked up from Cleveland in the DeRosa trade and Olsen/other prospects we got from Baltimore in the Pie trade give us a decent shot at making a deal with SD for Peavy.

Peavy/Z/Lilly/Dempster/Harden (when not hurt) would be quite a rotation.

SandLizard04

Isn't Gathright the guy that jumped over a car in that infamous youtube clip?

And by signing So Taguchi, you guys are assembling an ex-Cardinals wash-up team. Good riddance to that guy, I never did like him.

jbell96

Quote from: SMC on January 21, 2009, 10:05:27 am
Peavy/Z/Lilly/Dempster/Harden (when not hurt) would be quite a rotation.

If this happens the Cubs will find a way to screw it up.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Ramblin' Man™ on January 21, 2009, 01:14:51 pm

And by signing So Taguchi, you guys are assembling an ex-Cardinals wash-up team. Good riddance to that guy, I never did like him.
How did you not like So? He was one of my favorites.

jbell96

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on January 21, 2009, 04:02:54 pm
Quote from: Ramblin' Man™ on January 21, 2009, 01:14:51 pm

How did you not like So? He was one of my favorites.

So turned the tide of the 2006 NLCS with his solo home run off Billy Wagner in game 2 to help the Cards steal home field advantage.

SMC

Taguchi is a solid professional, plays good D, good contact guy. Always kinda liked him even when a Cardinal. Much rather we sign Card washups like Taguchi than those of Edmonds' ilk.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: SMC on January 21, 2009, 10:05:27 amPeavy/Z/Lilly/Dempster/Harden (when not hurt) would be quite a rotation.

The Cubs should have a rock solid rotation with or without Peavy, although it will be interesting to see if Dempster can have a year somewhat similar to his '08. I highly doubt he repeats that performance. Of course they could run into some trouble if Harden is injured again too, so I wouldn't have them as an absolute lock to run the table (during the regular season that is) but they would be my NL pick going into the season at least. They're loaded again this year.

bulldogs1159

Its Cardinal night on MLB Network! Just watched the end of the 2006 Series and they have shows and games with the Cardinals all night!

msubulldogs21

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on January 25, 2009, 08:14:08 pm
Its Cardinal night on MLB Network! Just watched the end of the 2006 Series and they have shows and games with the Cardinals all night!

Hmm. I thought the objective was to get good ratings?

bulldogs1159

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on January 25, 2009, 09:06:00 pm
Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on January 25, 2009, 08:14:08 pm

Hmm. I thought the objective was to get good ratings?
Got great ratings at my house.

msubulldogs21

I haven't heard the terms of the agreement, but the Royals signed Zack Greinke to a 4 year extension. Regardless of the money involved, it's good to see them make a move like this to actually improve the team. Greinke was really good for KC last year. He's got some nasty stuff.

msubulldogs21

The Yankees signed Andy Pettitte to a 1 year, $5.5M deal yesterday. Bringing him back really gives them a stacked rotation for '09. Nothing a little money can't fix, eh?

Sabathia
Burnett
Wang
Chamberlain
Pettitte

If they don't win the WS this year, it will be a FAIL of epic proportions. And I can't wait.

suspended

I'm gonna go ahead and call it. The three in the middle will spend significant time on the DL. I'm gonna say at least two months each for Chamberlain and Burnett, one month for Wang.

msubulldogs21

It was never mentioned on here, but Jason Varitek signed a 1 year/5M deal to return to the Red Sox. There's a team option for 5M for 2010 as well. I'm kind of indifferent on this. Part of me is glad he's back, mainly for his leadership qualities and the way he handles the pitching staff, but another part remembers how bad he was at the plate last year. If things don't work out this year at least we have a team option for next year that we don't have to pick up. I hope we are still able to trade for a good young catcher within the next year though.

Also, the Cubs traded SP Rich Hill to the Orioles for a PTBNL. I'm a little surprised the Cubs are giving up on Hill. He spent almost all last year in AAA, but appeared to have some pretty good upside and quality stuff. Nice pickup for Baltimore.

http://masnsports.com/2009/02/it.html

RHS

Manny turned down 1 year $25 million from the Dodgers. This after he's turned down previously a deal for 2 years and $45 million or so.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: RHS on February 04, 2009, 03:47:27 pm
Manny turned down 1 year $25 million from the Dodgers. This after he's turned down previously a deal for 2 years and $45 million or so.
He wants the be a Cardinal :)

AB™

No, Pujols wants him to be a Cardinal.  Which, if the Cardinals will spend some money, then they can make it happen.  Pujols and Manny are very good friends from the same place.  If they get Manny then you're talking about, arguably, the best 3-4 hitting combo since Gehrig/Ruth.  I mean, Pujols and Manny, very well might be the two best hitters in baseball right now.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: AB™ on February 04, 2009, 04:40:49 pm
No, Pujols wants him to be a Cardinal.  Which, if the Cardinals will spend some money, then they can make it happen.  Pujols and Manny are very good friends from the same place.  If they get Manny then you're talking about, arguably, the best 3-4 hitting combo since Gehrig/Ruth.  I mean, Pujols and Manny, very well might be the two best hitters in baseball right now.
The frustrating thing is that Albert wants it, LaRussa wants it, the fans want it. And yet the front office does nothing. JDSF"SDJ"LKSDJG"JKDSG"SILDFHG"SLDFHG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AB™

Here's how big of a 'get' that would be for the Cardinals.  They would be the favorite in the NL next year.  That is how scary good of a 3-4 combo that is to have in your lineup with a Ludwick and other over acheivers.  I heard some small rumblings about this a week ago.  Heard that Pujols has been basically recruiting Manny but the front office isn't making a move.

SMC

Favorite in the NL? That's a sick 3-4-5 but the rest of the lineup is not that frightening and you haven't even started talking about pitching.

But don't get me wrong StL fans, I think you will be better this year than last.

Indiana Jones

February 04, 2009, 08:03:11 pm #45 Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:04:55 pm by Indiana Jones
Quote from: RHS on February 04, 2009, 03:47:27 pm
that   selfish frick makes me sick!!!!!!

I hope  Manny goes the way of Barry Bonds and doesn't play another game
almost as  moronic of Latrell Spreawell  saying he needs to feed his kids and can't do it on $15 mill a year ::)

AB™

They wouldn't need much pitching to compete for the NL pennant if Pujols and Manny put up their usual numbers, and Ludwick can have a repeat of his 2008 season. The Cubs are a more complete team, along with the Phillies, the most complete in the NL. But they're still the Cubs.  The Phils repeating is going to be very hard, and who knows is the Mets will ever live up to their high payroll. If the Cards could land Manny then that would put them in the conversation with the NL's best. The fact they hung around in the NL Central most of the season last year, with a bunch of no names and Pujols, says quite a bit.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: SMC on February 04, 2009, 07:56:12 pm
Favorite in the NL? That's a sick 3-4-5 but the rest of the lineup is not that frightening and you haven't even started talking about pitching.

But don't get me wrong StL fans, I think you will be better this year than last.
The rest of our lineup is just fine. Pitching is going to be our downfall again and again and again.

AB™

Too bad Mulder never panned out and Carpenter can't stay off the DL.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: AB™ on February 04, 2009, 08:12:37 pm
Too bad Mulder never panned out and Carpenter can't stay off the DL.
Jeff Weaver sould have stayed in St. Louis as well. It killed his carearr to leave when Dave Duncan had him throwing like people always thought he would. Loshe should be good again and when Wainwright is healthy thats a good one two. Wellenmeyer had a solid year last year and we need that again, but he was so bad the Royals gave up on him so you never know. I would like to see us sign Looper back. We have some young talent in the minors that can be used in the pen. And Carpenter and trying Carpenter as a closer might sure up that hole.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas