• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Buren Pointers Basketball

Started by jking7, December 10, 2014, 08:16:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jking7

December 10, 2014, 08:16:09 am Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:20:39 am by jking7
Just thought I would start a thread for the Pointers girls and boys basketball teams to discuss the season and post scores and thoughts of the teams as the season goes on. So far the girls team is 2-3 and the Boys team is 3-1 with the only loss coming to a very good Bentonville team. Both the boys and girls will play in the Tahlequah Tournament this Thursday-Saturday.

WPWells

Good luck to the Pointers! River Valley basketball is up this year

jking7

It really is!! Its going to be a fun year to watch basketball in this area! Good luck to you guys as well!

WPWells

December 10, 2014, 09:12:11 am #3 Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:12:41 pm by 12th Man CHS
Teams that will compete from the River Valley:

7A Boys - Van Buren
6A Boys - Alma
6A Girls - Greenwood
4A Boys - Pottsville
4A Girls - Ozark
3A Boys - Charleston
3A Girls - Lamar
2A Girls - Johnson County Westside
1A Boys - County Line, Scranton

SNWA

12th Man , did you really just leave out the GW girls....?

WPWells

Meant to type Greenwood instead of Van Buren. Obviously Van Buren isn't 6A

jking7

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 10, 2014, 12:09:17 pm
Meant to type Greenwood instead of Van Buren. Obviously Van Buren isn't 6A
That and i know that greenwood girls team is loaded.. And our girls are building right now so even if the VB girls were 6a greenwood would win... Probably by alot...

A-Good-One

Define "compete." Because Van Buren girls will make State and might win a game there. Northside boys the same.

WPWells

Compete as in have a shot to win it all

SNWA

How is the state reps decided in 7A?....I know that 3 of the 4 in 6A make it but not too sure in 7A.

AT

12th Man, Almatrackster likes how you mentioned Alma and Almatrackster feels better about competing in 6A this year now after last night.

But Almatrackster wants to remind 12th Man that 6A basketball is rough.

AT

Quote from: SNWA on December 10, 2014, 04:09:30 pm
How is the state reps decided in 7A?....I know that 3 of the 4 in 6A make it but not too sure in 7A.

Going to be the same in 7A.

Top 6 of 8 in the 7A West.

Top 3 of 4 in Central

Top 3 of 4 in the East

Brackets will be the same as football probably.

WPWells

12th Man understands how rough the 6A is and that Jonesboro is the odds-on favorite. However, Alma proved that they're a true contender

A-Good-One

Win a title, I'd agree with all the listings, save maybe Pottsville. They *could* since 4A boys is probably the weakest class with least discrepancy between the haves and have-nots.

ahsalum

Circle your calendars.....

January 13th.....

Huge night.

JTthegreat16

How are they going to do in the Tahlequah tournament this week?

jking7

December 11, 2014, 08:29:25 pm #16 Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:31:18 pm by jking7
Quote from: JTthegreat16 on December 11, 2014, 06:35:48 pm
How are they going to do in the Tahlequah tournament this week?

Both the boys and girls won tonight. I would say if the girls can handle the ball a bit better and hit 3's like they have been they have a good chance to win the tournament and for the boys I would expect them to win the whole tournament as long as they don't have a off game.

JTthegreat16

jking7

December 11, 2014, 08:53:07 pm #18 Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:55:23 pm by jking7
To tell you the truth I was busy and was not able to go to the game or listen to It on the radio.. I asked someone covering the games but didn't  even think to ask about the score.. Sorry. I almost always have scores but not tonight. Will have scores for both games tomorrow though.

jking7

The Van Buren Lady Pointers defeated Tulsa-Webster 47-34 to Advance to the Championship game of the tahlequah tournament. The Lady Pointers will play tomorrow night at 7.

jking7

(Boys) Van Buren defeats McArthur High(Lawton,OK) 68-49. Mitchell Smith finished with 31 for the pointers. Van Buren will play in the Tahlequah tournament championship game tomorrow night at 8:30

jking7

Tahlequah invitational Championship game (Girls)

Van Buren-66
Yukon,OK-48   Final      Jamilyn Kinney Hit 7 3's and scored a game high 27 for the Lady Pointers.

jking7

Tahlequah invitational Championship game (Boys)

Van Buren-55
Southmoore,OK-52  Final  Mitchell smith finished with 19 and won the tournament MVP. Jaylynn Dye had 16 and Dillon Kinney had 11 for the Pointers.   

JTthegreat16

Wow. Congrts to them for winning the tournament.

Something I am curious about though...I was told in the first round Southmoore played Provience Academy from Rogers and, to put it simply, barely slipped by them and basically got lucky, winning by 3. Hearing that and knowing Southmoore played Van Buren well, I'm curious now to see this Providence school.

jking7

Quote from: JTthegreat16 on December 13, 2014, 11:00:10 pm
Wow. Congrts to them for winning the tournament.

Something I am curious about though...I was told in the first round Southmoore played Provience Academy from Rogers and, to put it simply, barely slipped by them and basically got lucky, winning by 3. Hearing that and knowing Southmoore played Van Buren well, I'm curious now to see this Providence school.

I didnt see the game in person but i know Southmoore won that first round game by like 4 points.  VB played a really sloppy first half to be honest and trailed at half  VB should have won the game by more.. But the boys from Southmoore played some tough ball and I dont want to take anything away from them. Very fun game.

Brian G

TheMercenary

Tripod1

Girls and boys Monday verses Fayetteville.

TheMercenary

jking7

Should be some really good games.. Very excited to see them play.

jking7

(Girls)
Fayetteville-28
Van Buren-21 Halftime

jking7

(Girls)
Fayetteville-62
Van Buren-46   Final

jking7

(Boys)
Fayetteville-55
Van Buren-52  Final

Tripod1

Not a good night for the Pointers.  The game to me wasn't as close as the score.  No doubt VB missed the shooting of Harms.  They will be better when they get him back.  I am not as high on the Pointers as I was a little while back.  Just don't think they are physical enough to make a serious run for a championship.  Guess we will get a glimpse this Saturday.  They play NLR at NLR I believe starting at 4:30.  Part of a hoops challenge or something like that being held in central Arkansas.  Smith ended up with 23 last night and I still believe he will be a player but VB is just lacking some physical presence when it comes to the good athletic teams they will face in the state tournament.

jking7

January 10, 2015, 12:09:38 pm #34 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:06:39 pm by jking7
Sorry for the lack of updates.. I've been super busy/sick so I have missed a few games.. I do know last night Scores for anyone who missed them

Girls:  Conway 66
          Lady Pointers 28    (If thats wrong correct me I was late)

Boys: Van Buren-54
         Conway-45

Tripod1

Conway girls are VERY good.  Just great athletes and are heavy senior loaded.  The team to beat in 7A again. 
Boys game never seemed in doubt although Conway kept it fairly close.  Conway did a great job of basically holding Smith as the officials never did find a consistent flow to the game.  I think Smith ended up with 18-20 points.  It was a very ugly game but a win is a win.  Big game tomorrow night at Alma. 

jking7

Yeah I agree the flow and calls were off all night in the boys game.. But like you said a wins a win. The game tomorrow night is huge! Should be good. I'm pretty sure Alma and Van Buren are playing for the 7A/6A central title with the two match-ups they will have this year. The 7A/6A Central is not very stong this season outside of these two and maybe Conway.

jking7

January 13, 2015, 07:23:57 pm #37 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:25:58 pm by jking7
Girls-Van Buren-54
              Alma-33    Final.

jking7

Van Buren - 23
      Alma  - 18     Halftime.

jking7

January 13, 2015, 08:47:18 pm #39 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:06:49 pm by jking7
 Boys:Van Buren - 48
               Alma  - 35     Final.   

Van Buren Missed alot of shots they are use to making but made up for it by causing turnovers. Both Alma And Van Buren played sloppy In the first half. Alma only hit 4 3's in the game and Van Buren took advantage of the long rebounds and the fast break.

jking7

Tripod1

Probably not good matchups for either game.  Bryant girls are good and their boys not so good.  The boys game looks like a typical homecoming matchup.

revolution

Bryant girls lost big to Greenwood on the road and struggled to get by Mount St. Mary's at home.  They have success when they can drive and either finish or draw fouls.  At times their defense is outstanding.  But when the dribble drive isn't there or the game is too physical or the opposing team has either good shooters or an excellent post, then Bryant has a tough challenge. 

What are the strengths of the Van Buren girls? 

jking7

Quote from: revolution on January 15, 2015, 11:43:50 am
Bryant girls lost big to Greenwood on the road and struggled to get by Mount St. Mary's at home.  They have success when they can drive and either finish or draw fouls.  At times their defense is outstanding.  But when the dribble drive isn't there or the game is too physical or the opposing team has either good shooters or an excellent post, then Bryant has a tough challenge. 

The Van Buren girls strengths I would say is Very good guard play and the 3 point shooting is outstanding on most nights But you said Bryant has issues with Excellent post play/post players then you wont have to worry much in this one. The VB girls are undersized and don't play the post all that well. The biggest thing for the VB girls is they go through streaks on shooting the ball.. they can hit everything one night and the next night shoot bricks..

revolution

Quote from: jking7 on January 15, 2015, 12:00:22 pm
Quote from: revolution on January 15, 2015, 11:43:50 am

The Van Buren girls strengths I would say is Very good guard play and the 3 point shooting is outstanding on most nights But you said Bryant has issues with Excellent post play/post players then you wont have to worry much in this one. The VB girls are undersized and don't play the post all that well. The biggest thing for the VB girls is they go through streaks on shooting the ball.. they can hit everything one night and the next night shoot bricks..

Well, I hope the Bryant defense is sound against your shooters.  Our effort on both ends of the court ebbs and flows, and that is usually a bigger drawback on the road.

jking7

January 16, 2015, 09:46:36 pm #45 Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:48:44 am by jking7
(Girls)     Van Buren-51
                   Bryant-37    Final

(Boys)    Van Buren-60
                  Bryant-38    Final    Mitchell Smith Lead in scoring with 27.

jking7

January 20, 2015, 07:20:48 pm #46 Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:40:42 pm by jking7
Girls:
        Van Buren-50
  Siloam Springs-41     Final.

jking7

Boys
        Van Buren-23
  Siloam Springs-15   Halftime.   Very Sloppy 2nd quarter by both teams VB scored 7 and SS only scored 1.

jking7

Boys
        Van Buren-32
  Siloam Springs-22    End of the 3rd

jking7

Boys
        Van Buren-50
  Siloam Springs-38    Final

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas