• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Citizens Bank Classic (Van Buren HS) Brackets

Started by woodpeckerfsm, October 29, 2014, 09:37:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jking7

Quote from: bighurt411 on December 01, 2014, 10:37:57 pm
Van Buren has really good guards but not much inside the paint. They made like 15 three pointers.
Yeah they have great guards.. They can score in the paint very good at times but Didn't tonight.. Guess it's because they were so hot from three.. Probably see them in the paint more when they play better teams that can guard the three.

bighurt411

The Westside bigs scored a lot on VB in the paint.

jking7

Quote from: bighurt411 on December 01, 2014, 10:52:46 pm

Oh you were talking about the VB girls.. My bad I was talking about the boys.. In that case then the VB girls have very little inside game.. Very undersized team right now.. The VB boys didn't attack on the inside as mush as they usually do that's why I thought you were talking about them..

Tripod1

Quote from: bighurt411 on December 01, 2014, 10:52:46 pm
Final score of 70-39 so I'm not sure what qualifies as "a lot of inside points".  Westside had a couple of pretty decent guards and did exploit VB with some inside scoring.  Inside game is the glaring weakness for VB and will be their downfall against good teams.  I think Westside will be very good in their classification.  VB will live and die with the 3.  Kinney is going to be a very good player during the next 4 years of her high school career for VB.

bighurt411

It was a good experience for our girls to compete against a much bigger school. We are
Considered one of the favorites in 2A. Throw out the second quarter and it was a close game.
We have some really good shooters as well but they were just unable to get many good lucks.

Tripod1

I figure Westside will be a strong contender in the 2A throughout the year including the state tournament.  I was impressed with how they pushed the ball up the floor and very impressed with the red headed girl.  She works very hard inside the paint and does well for her size. 

A-Good-One

Quote from: Sport718 on December 01, 2014, 10:09:13 pm
Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on December 01, 2014, 07:48:50 pm
Quote from: Sport718 on December 01, 2014, 12:28:03 pm
Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on November 23, 2014, 01:41:36 pm
JC Westside is a decent 2A squad. But a decent 7A squad - which is what Van Buren is - shouldn't have many problems.
Not sure the word decent adequately describes JC Westside girls. We'll see tonight.

The Twitter machine says 51-28, Van Buren, midway through the third.

"Decent" seems to fit perfectly.
Decent is probably overstating it. They were terrible. No defense and even less offense. They have beat some good teams this year but VB was on fire and really put Westside in their place.

Well, ya gotta remember, it's a 2A vs a 7A. JC Westside will probably make State in 2A. Probably (not guaranteed). Van Buren will probably make State in 7A.

But it should be that way. Like I said, 7A should always beat 2A, barring anything spectacular.

bighurt411

I think Westside will make a deep run in the 2A state tournament. They have to focus on their conference first.

Razorback Red

Just read where Charleston boys beat Southside by 3.  I know SS is not good, but that's still a nice win for Charleston.  Now that have to play VB; will be a long night for them in that game. 

bighurt411

Charleston still has some of their players in football. Lucky for Van Buren.......

bighurt411

Quote from: bighurt411 on December 02, 2014, 07:17:49 pm
Charleston still has some of their players in football. Lucky for Van Buren.......
Who won the Cedarville vs. Huntsville girls game?

bighurt411

Quote from: Sport718 on December 01, 2014, 10:03:59 pm
Decent is probably overstating it. They were Aweful. No defense even less offense. That program needs a coach!
You saying Westside was terrible and awful and needed a coach? Anything you liked about
Them? Geez.

Razorback Red

Quote from: bighurt411 on December 02, 2014, 07:21:40 pm
Quote from: bighurt411 on December 02, 2014, 07:17:49 pm
Who won the Cedarville vs. Huntsville girls game?

Huntsville girls won

bighurt411

Razorback Red

I saw the score on Twitter earlier.  I think it was 20+ pts. 

Sport718

I publicly apologize for my comments about the Westside coach. He's actually a really great coach. I was  just a frustrated fan. It was one bad night. I bet they bounce back and get even better. They really are a good basketball team. Just keep watching!!!

Razorback Red

bighurt411

Razorback Red

Sport718

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on December 02, 2014, 01:12:15 pm
Quote from: Sport718 on December 01, 2014, 10:09:13 pm
Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on December 01, 2014, 07:48:50 pm
Quote from: Sport718 on December 01, 2014, 12:28:03 pm
Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on November 23, 2014, 01:41:36 pm
JC Westside is a decent 2A squad. But a decent 7A squad - which is what Van Buren is - shouldn't have many problems.
Not sure the word decent adequately describes JC Westside girls. We'll see tonight.

The Twitter machine says 51-28, Van Buren, midway through the third.

"Decent" seems to fit perfectly.
Decent is probably overstating it. They were terrible. No defense and even less offense. They have beat some good teams this year but VB was on fire and really put Westside in their place.

Well, ya gotta remember, it's a 2A vs a 7A. JC Westside will probably make State in 2A. Probably (not guaranteed). Van Buren will probably make State in 7A.

But it should be that way. Like I said, 7A should always beat 2A, barring anything spectacular.
In 2009 the same Westside team beat the 7a Southside Lady Rebels by 17. And not only will they make state but they are favored to possibly win the whole thing. 2a state champion is the best out of 64 teams. 7a only tops 15 others. 2a is by far the toughest to win.

Razorback Red

IMO, the gap is not nearly as big in basketball for small schools vs big schools.  Charleston pulled off a big win win vs a 7A school today.  If those same 2 schools played in football, SS would win by several TD's most years. 

WPWells

Quote from: Razorback Red on December 02, 2014, 09:16:03 pm
IMO, the gap is not nearly as big in basketball for small schools vs big schools.  Charleston pulled off a big win win vs a 7A school today.  If those same 2 schools played in football, SS would win by several TD's most years.

Charleston did it without football players too

AT

Van Buren boys were up 37-3 at halftime against Shiloh Christian?!? Scary team.

jking7

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 02, 2014, 10:17:14 pm

Yeah they were and Shiloh ended up with 22 the whole game and it could have been worse is VB really wanted it to be.. I don't really know much about Shiloh though.. Are they a decent 4a school or what?

AT

Quote from: jking7 on December 02, 2014, 10:31:23 pm

Yeah they were and Shiloh ended up with 22 the whole game and it could have been worse is VB really wanted it to be.. I don't really know much about Shiloh though.. Are they a decent 4a school or what?

Never been a great basketball school. WHen they were in the 5A West, they usually finished near the bottom but had some competitive teams. But they aren't a school you expect to see a 37-3 score against.

jking7

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 02, 2014, 10:33:10 pm

Never been a great basketball school. WHen they were in the 5A West, they usually finished near the bottom but had some competitive teams. But they aren't a school you expect to see a 37-3 score against.

Thanks! And yeah VB plays great lockdown defense. They keep people out of the paint really well forcing teams to shoot unbalanced jump shots and they cause tons of turnovers and that's what they did last night..

AT

Quote from: jking7 on December 02, 2014, 10:39:18 pm

Thanks! And yeah VB plays great lockdown defense. They keep people out of the paint really well forcing teams to shoot unbalanced jump shots and they cause tons of turnovers and that's what they did last night..

Coach Loyd + Talent like VB hasn't seen in a while = Scary team

jking7

December 02, 2014, 10:57:56 pm #77 Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:02:22 pm by jking7
Quote from: Almatrackster on December 02, 2014, 10:51:26 pm
Quote from: jking7 on December 02, 2014, 10:39:18 pm

Coach Loyd + Talent like VB hasn't seen in a while = Scary team

Agreed! Should make a nice run for the 7a title.. With NLR and Bentonville of course.. This Pointer team is also somewhat young. A lot of Players will be back next year so this could be a scary team for a few years.. (Of course I want to stay focused on this year ) Also a lot of talent in the 9th grade is what I'm hearing so as long as they keep with it Vb looks to be in great shape for years to come.

A-Good-One

Quote from: Razorback Red on December 02, 2014, 09:16:03 pm

I don't recall exactly as I wasn't around back then, but wasn't that JC Westside team awfully good in 2009 and the Southside one pretty awful? Might be wrong.

I do know the Charleston boys team this year is very good and the Southside boys team is spectacularly bad.

You're mostly right in that basketball margin is smaller than in football between big schools and small ones. But it's still a margin. Most big schools will beat most small schools. Just will.

Tripod1

Thus far all the teams that should have won have.  On the girls side Huntsville and Morrilton look very good with LR Christian and Van Buren close.  Huntsville should beat LRC and Morrilton should beat (already have by 6 at Morrilton) Van Buren.  If Van Buren had just one inside post they could be tough because they most certainly have very good guards.  Westside is also a very good 2A school and will have a great season.
On the boys side of course Bentonville and Van Buren stand above the rest.  Bentonville will have no problems with Pea Ridge and Van Buren will have to be off to lose to Charleston.  Charleston (with their football players) will be very good as the season progresses.  Van Buren had better not look ahead to Saturdays finals because Charleston has a shot of upsetting them Thursday night.  Ward had an off game but he is so mature and just has very good basketball skills and smarts.  Van Buren is too deep though and that will probably be Charleston's downfall.  I suspect Saturday night finals of Bentonville and Van Buren (if no upsets) the place will be packed and a great atmosphere for local basketball fans.

jking7

(Boys) Bentonville defeats Pea Ridge 76-40 tonight and thats with starters sitting most of the 2nd half. Monk had a gym shaking dunk in the first half... Bentonville will play the winner of Van Buren and Charleston on Saturday in the Championship game.

jking7

December 04, 2014, 08:22:13 pm #81 Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:44:38 am by jking7
(Girls) Van Buren defeats Morriltion 60-57. for the Pointers the sophomore Lani Snowden finished with 18 and the Freshman Jamilyn Kinney had 11 hitting 3 Three pointers. Van Buren will play Huntsville Saturday at 6 In the championship game.

Razorback Red

Van Buren hangs on for 50-49 win over Charleston.  Will play Bville Sat night in finals. 

jking7

(Boys) Van Buren defeats Charleston 50-49. Both teams played a bit sloppy with turnovers but dye for van buren scored 9 in the 4th and Dillion Kinney had 12 hitting 4 three pointers.. Ward for charleston continued to live up to the best small school player hype with 36!! He hit so many 3's I came for van buren but he was the show for sure! Van Buren will meet Bentonville Saturday at 7:30  (also to note Charleston was missing a few guys because of football. They will be a great team down in the 3a)

chucktownboys

Great job Tigers! Played hard with shot to win the game against the home team in their tournament! Van Buren not near as good as advertised but Tigers played big man tough, # 3 hitting those early 3's was the difference in the game and then he went back to normal. One thing for sure get up in pointers face on defense and they lose it. Great job boys!

jking7

Quote from: chucktownboys on December 04, 2014, 10:46:32 pm
Great job Tigers! Played hard with shot to win the game against the home team in their tournament! Van Buren not near as good as advertised but Tigers played big man tough, # 3 hitting those early 3's was the difference in the game and then he went back to normal. One thing for sure get up in pointers face on defense and they lose it. Great job boys!

You guys were impressive for sure!! I felt like we didn't play our best but nothing to take away from the tigers they all brought it even more so #23 Ward that guy is a beast!! Good luck the rest of the season you guys will do great!!

chuckBB

Glad to see my Tigers play as a team and also diid their best individually. I hope they gained confidence and learn from tonight's game to do better.

Tripod1

Once Charleston gets all their team together they will be a force in 3A.  My hats off to the players and Coach Ross.  His game plan almost won the game for the Tigers.  Without a doubt that game caught most off guard in Clair Bates Arena last night and most notable the officials.  From a very bad opening toss to the physical nature of the game it was almost the perfect storm for the Tigers.  I seriously doubt Van Buren will play a more physical team this year.  I do know if I am the Bentonville coaches (and they were watching) I come out Saturday night with the same game plan.  Van Buren is a much better team than they showed last night but my hat is off to Charleston for taking the Pointers completely out of their game.  Bentonville will beat the Pointers by 20 if they play flat again Saturday night.  I think Ward HAS to be the best guard in 3A and can hold his own at any classification.  Van Buren was extremely lucky last night.  With the Lady Pointers winning I would guess the arena will be overflowing or close to it tomorrow night. 

bighurt411

Both VB teams will have to play really well to win Saturday. Huntsville girls are very good.

jking7

Quote from: bighurt411 on December 05, 2014, 11:33:01 am
Both VB teams will have to play really well to win Saturday. Huntsville girls are very good.

Looks like it should be two really good games! The VB girls biggest problem is size.. they don't have a great inside game... but the guard play has been really good so far this season.

Tripod1

Huntsville presents a big matchup problem for VB girls.  Their inside game will be tough to handle.  Also Bentonville boys will be a huge task for the Pointers.  I feel they are better this year even though the left handed guard transferred.  Chemistry is better.  VB will need to man up really big time and will have to be much more physical if they hope to keep from getting blown out. 

Razorback Red

I won't make it to VB tonight for the game, but I really hope the place is packed.  VB should be motivated to play well and Bville will be ready to prove they have the team to win state this year.  Should be a fun non-con game against familiar foes. 

If you live in the RV and have yet to see Monk play in person, I encourage you to try and make it out to watch him.  He is a great talent. 

jking7

Quote from: Razorback Red on December 06, 2014, 07:56:49 am
I won't make it to VB tonight for the game, but I really hope the place is packed.  VB should be motivated to play well and Bville will be ready to prove they have the team to win state this year.  Should be a fun non-con game against familiar foes. 

If you live in the RV and have yet to see Monk play in person, I encourage you to try and make it out to watch him.  He is a great talent.

Agree with everthing you just said VB should want this.. Lost two time to Bentonville last year.. And with monk.. I mean why not pay $5 to see him play... We will probably be seeing him on tv in the future..

jking7

(Girls) Huntsville-42
           Van Buren-27  Final

jking7

(Boys) Bentonville leads Van Buren 37-28 at half.. Monk hits three strait 3's to end the half for Bentonville.

jking7

December 06, 2014, 09:17:57 pm #95 Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:19:37 am by jking7
Bentonville defeats Van Buren 62-56 both teams played very good was a great game to watch!! VB may not have won but they proved they are a top 7a team playing Bentonville so well. Monk had 30 for Bentonville and smith had 19 for the Pointers.. Also to note one of VB's best players jason harms left in the 1st quarter due to some kind of arm/hand injury and never returned to the bench..

STUNNA

Tripod1

December 07, 2014, 07:36:07 am #97 Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:11:33 am by Tripod1
Jason Harms went out in the first quarter with a wrist injury. Saw him and his dad after the game.  In a cast but the good news is a buckle fracture and out for only 2 weeks.  Left wrist so he will be able to shoot during this time.  Good game with both Smith and Monk living up to the hype.  Monk had monster dunk over Smith and proved he will be a one and done player.  Smith has tremendous upside but will need more strength at the next level.  Both teams will be a force to reckon with this year. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas