• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your Top 10 NBA Players of All-Time

Started by AB™, June 05, 2011, 03:02:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RATTLER43

June 01, 2016, 04:47:38 pm #350 Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:05:45 pm by RATTLER43

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: mtindian42 on June 01, 2016, 04:22:58 pm

"Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to play the game. But I may go so far as to say Lebron James may be the greatest player to ever play the game because he is so potent offensively that not only can he score at will, but he keeps everybody involved," Pippen said.

Enough said... I rest my case...

I could find hundreds of quotes from contemporaries that say otherwise. All I need as justification is the fact that LeBron sat out a half with cramps while Jordan scored 38 with the flu. Also 6 for 6 in the Finals, with 6 Finals MVP awards to go with them.

Don't get me wrong, LeBron is a good ballplayer, but he's on the fringe of top-5 discussion. Definitely not the greatest.

DerekOxford

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: DerekOxford on June 02, 2016, 03:59:47 pm

A couple points are valid - the marketing was and is unparalleled. However, he contradicts himself more than a couple times. Also, while Jordan didn't score the most career points, or have the most rings, etc., he is near the top in all those categories, whereas others are at or near the top of one or two.

Let me ask you - who do you think is the greatest?

DerekOxford

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on June 02, 2016, 10:51:27 pm
A couple points are valid - the marketing was and is unparalleled. However, he contradicts himself more than a couple times. Also, while Jordan didn't score the most career points, or have the most rings, etc., he is near the top in all those categories, whereas others are at or near the top of one or two.

Let me ask you - who do you think is the greatest?

I didn't post that to say MJ isn't, but it's food for thought. You could easily make a case for Wilt, Kareem, Magic or even Big O.

RATTLER43

Lebron has a chance to move into top 4 with one more win.

DerekOxford

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 17, 2016, 12:12:47 pm
Lebron has a chance to move into top 4 with one more win.

Agreed. It will be one of, if not the greatest accomplishment, by a player, in Finals history.

RATTLER43

I have never been a fan of Lebron, but he has been outstanding the past few games with back against the wall. Three titles plus all the MVPs and his stats are great.  Coming back to win from down 3- would be absolutely historical.  Here is his opportunity to win over old-timers like me.

RATTLER43

June 19, 2016, 09:50:25 pm #358 Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:39:52 pm by RATTLER43

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 17, 2015, 09:26:53 am

1. Michael Jordan - greatest all around player ever. By year 5, he had no weaknesses; even his 3-pt. shot had gotten good. His mid-range jumper and baseline post up fade-away was soooooo good.

1B. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - had he been a media darling instead of rubbing every sportswriter the wrong way he would be at the top of every list; he was the most dominating player ever. I put MJ over him because MJ could create his own shot.  Kareem needed a guard to get him the ball. Kareem was the best on both ends of the floor for 10 seasons. Even Wilt had to have help guarding him. First time in his career that he asked for help on a player. Kareem was unstoppable once he got the ball.

3. Magic Johnson  and Larry Bird are interchangeable. I put Magic at 3 because he won more titles than Larry Bird. Otherwise, you could put either of them at 3. Magic was so diverse at 6'9" PG. He would post up smaller PGs and developed outside shot and could go by the larger ones. His leadership was intangible that puts him at top of PG list. He was great in transition.

3B. Larry Bird - skills were unreal and he was so clutch. His determination equalled Magic's and MJ's. Bird seemed to think the game so that he knew what he and all others on the floor on both teams were going to do before they even did it. On multiple occasions I have watched a sequence where he knew he could not get the offensive rebound but knew where the rebounder would put the ball after securing; then Bird would steal it and throw to a spot on the floor where he knew his teammate would be without even looking leading to an easy score.

5..  Lebron James - greatest physical specimen the game has seen; he also can absolutely carry a team. I think his skill plus athleticism has potential to be at the top of this list. Win a few more titles and it may happen.

6.  Kobe Bryant - such a  fundamental player. Great athlete early; great player later. His offensive weapons are so numerous. Can score from any place on floor.

7.  Tim Duncan - I actually would take Tim over Wilt or Russell but it may be because they were before my time. I tried to leave my personal bias out and going by the numbers and my readings about them I allowed them to be placed accordingly. Tim was great at every phase of the post game and his bank shot from 17 feet was so tough on big slow power forwards trying to defend him. His footwork and defensive presence are so underappreciated. Just think if his nearly last second shot that Derek Fisher answered had been the game-winner and they had gone on to win....

7b.  Bill Russell - greatest champion ever. Defensive stalwart; great passer and ferocious defender. Offense had some chinks in it but you can't argue 11 titles.

8.  Shaq - most unstoppable  player ever. I really think he could have shot free shots on nearly every possession in his first 10 seasons(of course he would have missed most of them.). His lack of all-around game and atrocious free shot shooting move him down the list.

9.  Wilt Chamberlain - greatest scorer ever- period. Free shot shooting moves him down the list.

10.  Dr. J  His NBA career numbers do not do this great one justice. If you add his ABA days when he was at his athletic best he might be as high as #3.  By the time I got to watch him he was still great but not scoring at will above everybody any time he wanted. He was still the most athletic and gifted scorer in mid and late 70s. I have watched video of him while in ABA and I believe all those stories. 4 championships plus lost in 3 finals; 4 MVPs.   

10B. Oscar Robertson  Averaging basically a triple double over 5 seasons and helping Kareem to first title are just the tip of this iceberg.

Valleysports

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 17, 2016, 04:24:21 pm
I have never been a fan of Lebron, but he has been outstanding the past few games with back against the wall. Three titles plus all the MVPs and his stats are great.  Coming back to win from down 3- would be absolutely historical.  Here is his opportunity to win over old-timers like me.

Just saw replay of LaBron's highlight block, followed by Kyrie's 3 point shot to win the Finals.  Hard to believe that really happened.

Longfellow

I was looking back at this thread and it made me wonder, do Lebron's actions as of late and poor treatment of teammates diminish your opinion of him and maybe even move him down on your all-time lists? I have just lost all respect for him and can't stand the way he plays. 6'8 250 and he gets knocked down by a slight breeze

MDXPHD

Quote from: Longfellow on February 16, 2017, 12:37:06 pm
I was looking back at this thread and it made me wonder, do Lebron's actions as of late and poor treatment of teammates diminish your opinion of him and maybe even move him down on your all-time lists? I have just lost all respect for him and can't stand the way he plays. 6'8 250 and he gets knocked down by a slight breeze

What actions as of late are you referring to? In the last week, he's shooting 70 percent from the field.

And he's not the only person that flops in the NBA these days. That's the way the game is called...he gets the calls 90 percent of the time. He just uses the way the game has changed to his advantage.

Longfellow

I'm referring to the way in which he talks about his teammates and criticizes everything the organization does that he doesn't sign off on. If I was a player in Cleveland and heard James talking about he needs more help and they don't have enough to win a title, I'm not sure that's a guy I want to play with. He's a great player, but I don't like him anymore

MDXPHD

February 16, 2017, 01:20:39 pm #363 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:23:18 pm by MDXPHD
Quote from: Longfellow on February 16, 2017, 01:08:59 pm
I'm referring to the way in which he talks about his teammates and criticizes everything the organization does that he doesn't sign off on. If I was a player in Cleveland and heard James talking about he needs more help and they don't have enough to win a title, I'm not sure that's a guy I want to play with. He's a great player, but I don't like him anymore

But they listened, and he won a title...Do you really think players like Jordan didn't make comments about the organizations? I mean, I've read a story where Jordan punched Kerr in the face when Kerr disagreed with something Jordan said in practice...His HoF speech was terribly arrogant and bashed pretty much everyone in his life. So should he fall down to ten or so?

BigMan15

He prolly feels like me. I respect Lebron but dont like him! But without a doubt top 2 or 3 player ever!

cuckoobird

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 16, 2017, 01:20:39 pm
But they listened, and he won a title...Do you really think players like Jordan didn't make comments about the organizations? I mean, I've read a story where Jordan punched Kerr in the face when Kerr disagreed with something Jordan said in practice...His HoF speech was terribly arrogant and bashed pretty much everyone in his life. So should he fall down to ten or so?
Read a story, perhaps, heard him trashing a teammate on sportscenter? ELLLLLLLLLLL NO! if you can't see the difference, you're part of what's wrong with the world today. I know if I'm down 2 with 10 seconds to go who I would rather had the ball and he would want it to. He never needed bailed out by someone else on the team. I know of at least 10 better than LeBron in that situation.

MDXPHD

Quote from: cuckoobird on February 16, 2017, 01:55:12 pm
Read a story, perhaps, heard him trashing a teammate on sportscenter? ELLLLLLLLLLL NO! if you can't see the difference, you're part of what's wrong with the world today. I know if I'm down 2 with 10 seconds to go who I would rather had the ball and he would want it to. He never needed bailed out by someone else on the team. I know of at least 10 better than LeBron in that situation.

Oh right...there is a difference between it being printed instead of it being on tv. And the media has nothing to do with hatred of specific athletes these days. Bash Lebron all you want, but you are a typical MJ fan. Won't ever admit Lebron is in the top. You can hate the guy, but lets be honest. What he has done in the modern NBA era is ridiculous.

cuckoobird

February 16, 2017, 03:07:10 pm #367 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:20:47 pm by cuckoobird
You can't even see the difference, but that's how most of the world is today and why there's a problem. You don't trash CURRENT teammates in the media. Nothing wrong with getting in their grill one on one or in the locker room but you don't do it in the media. Perhaps that's why everyone is hating on him, because he's a premadona and the current game is a joke. There is absolutely no defense played. If lebron had to play against the 1990 pistons, he wouldn't even be able to finish the series. He cries like a baby now if someone touches his arm. Rodman would have put him in the hospital, Thomas would have curb stomped him and Lambeir would have sent him to an untimely demise.

Chief_Osceola™

I think the disconnect in this current discussion is that on one hand, Jordan demanded excellence from his teammates and confronted them face to face, whereas Lebron is taking a public approach to calling out his teammates by going to team management saying he needs a better supporting cast.

I don't agree with the latter approach. 

cuckoobird

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 16, 2017, 03:27:02 pm
I think the disconnect in this current discussion is that on one hand, Jordan demanded excellence from his teammates and confronted them face to face, whereas Lebron is taking a public approach to calling out his teammates by going to team management saying he needs a better supporting cast.

I don't agree with the latter approach.
+1

beach bum

I hate saying this as basketball is my favorite sport, but the NBA is becoming unwatchable. There are literally 2 teams above everyone else cause people like Kevin Durant run from competition to a team who didn't need him to win anyway. That being said look out for Boston moving forward. They can beat Cleveland potentially and they have the Brooklyn Nets draft picks the next couple years which will be top 3 draft picks on an already top tier team. Look out for the Celtics moving forward to overtake the Cavaliers.

Longfellow

Google "500 best NBA players" and look at the list from basketball reference. It's pretty interesting and a little bit infuriating. I like a lot of it, but Pete Maravich at #60? Tracy McGrady, Grant Hill, and Vince Carter 97-99? Stephon Marbury at #197 and Marcus Camby at #208 I didn't like either. It's worth a look though

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on March 21, 2017, 06:55:46 pm
Google "500 best NBA players" and look at the list from basketball reference. It's pretty interesting and a little bit infuriating. I like a lot of it, but Pete Maravich at #60? Tracy McGrady, Grant Hill, and Vince Carter 97-99? Stephon Marbury at #197 and Marcus Camby at #208 I didn't like either. It's worth a look though

Those are interesting names.... Grant Hill and Vince Carter fall into the "what could have been' category. Vince Carter was on a crazy trajectory before he had all those knee problems and would have been a yearly All-Star if he could have maintained that freak level explosive ability. He tinkered his game and hung around way longer than I thought he would. Grant Hill had the all around game and really could have been special if not for the foot and ankle problems.

Longfellow

Hill would probably be about 60 spots higher if he would've stayed healthy. He turned into the ultimate glue guy when he was in Phoenix at the end of his career. And he won the league sportsmanship award 3 times

RATTLER43

I think Hill had a higher ceiling than most.  I thought he had potential for top 20. So sad, but we will never know. 

AB™

Quote from: Longfellow on March 21, 2017, 06:55:46 pm
Pretty sure that "list" is based on some weird fan voting system.  If that's not it, I know there's something really dumb/weird that influences it, and I'm pretty sure it's fan related, so those rankings shouldn't be taken seriously.

Longfellow

Quote from: AB™ on April 22, 2017, 08:48:39 pm
Pretty sure that "list" is based on some weird fan voting system.  If that's not it, I know there's something really dumb/weird that influences it, and I'm pretty sure it's fan related, so those rankings shouldn't be taken seriously.
I looked for a while and finally found who put it together. It was just two guys who work for the parent company that owns SLAM Magazine. Just looking at the rankings it was evident they weren't very competent, but I still like the idea. Wish more publications would do stuff like this. It's only ever top 10's and 25's

MDXPHD

LeBron quietly running through the East again.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 08, 2017, 07:20:57 am
LeBron quietly running through the East again.

Everyone knew the East was trash to begin with. Lebron won't see a legit team until the finals...where they will probably lose

RATTLER43

Not a Lebron fan but think he is incredible. He may will them to another title.  West is super tough.  Even Houston is no easy out.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on May 08, 2017, 09:15:20 am
Everyone knew the East was trash to begin with. Lebron won't see a legit team until the finals...where they will probably lose

I'm sure you said the same thing last year. Or the last 5 years in a row since he's been in the finals each year. You may get it right occasionally, but you've been wrong a few times too.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 08, 2017, 06:24:10 pm
I'm sure you said the same thing last year. Or the last 5 years in a row since he's been in the finals each year. You may get it right occasionally, but you've been wrong a few times too.

Ehh, I'm not a LeBron hater. I thought they might win against OKC and Dallas (when he was at Miami) but thought they would lose last year, I will admit. I just don't see how anyone is going to matchup with Golden State in a 7 game series, especially after they added KD.

Also, you can't say the East isnt weak. Name one team that could be any higher than a 4 seed in the West other than Cleveland.

Valleysports

Name one west team that could be number 1 in the east, other than Golden State.  Golden breezed through the west last year, then got beat in 7, by Labron in the Finals. Golden state has breezed through the west again this year, cause there is a huge gap between them and everyone else in the west. Does this mean the west is so much stronger OR Golden State is?  LOL Last years Finals were historic - so Golden State went out and bought Durant. Three top dogs - okay - but 4, 5, if they were to stumble this year, would they buy another All Star?  I know it's business and all, but winning it like this is nothing to really be proud about....

beach bum

Quote from: Valleysports on May 12, 2017, 11:56:12 am
Name one west team that could be number 1 in the east, other than Golden State.  Golden breezed through the west last year, then got beat in 7, by Labron in the Finals. Golden state has breezed through the west again this year, cause there is a huge gap between them and everyone else in the west. Does this mean the west is so much stronger OR Golden State is?  LOL Last years Finals were historic - so Golden State went out and bought Durant. Three top dogs - okay - but 4, 5, if they were to stumble this year, would they buy another All Star?  I know it's business and all, but winning it like this is nothing to really be proud about....

+1 ..... THE TRUTH HAS BEEN SPOKEN!

urban legend2

I see what you're saying, but they didn't really go out and say "we've got to get Durant." I mean, what team wouldn't want KD? Like all teams that are looking to add pieces, they went out and pitched to him. He apparently liked what he heard and he signed. There's no real shame in that. They lost about 27 points and 15 rebounds per game from the losses of Barnes, Bogut, Ezeli, Speights and Barbosa. No one really thought Durant was going to sign with Golden State, though. They would have still been the favorites to come out of the West without KD because of what they already had, but I'm sure they would have added another forward with scoring ability. With that said, they've still got to go out there and get it done.

RATTLER43

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Valleysports on May 12, 2017, 11:56:12 am

San Antonio and Houston. Maybe even Utah. All three of those teams were better than Boston in my opinion, and especially the rest of the East (Save Cleveland)

Now, do I believe that those teams were better than the Cavs? Probably not in a playoff series, although it would be a good matchup to see a healthy San Antonio vs the Cavs. But, SA, LA, GS, and Utah all had as good or better records than Cleveland. If roles were switched for Cleveland, they definitely couldn't be lackadaisical during the regular season like they can be in the East.

MDXPHD

Sounds like the west is watered down.

Valleysports

Everyone knew it would be Cavs vs Warriers, before the season started.  Golden State said early on that they weren't going for a 73 win season, like last year. Both teams paced through, only concerned with the playoffs.  Here's the Bottom Line: Cavalier's Coach Sux!  What's his role with this team?  How about a game plan with some plays and ball movement, instead of pick n roll right, pick n roll left. 

bdubyab60

This is the reason I don't watch much NBA. There was no challenge to either of these teams to make the finals. Cavs were mailing it in against Boston. SA is the only team that had a shot in the West against GS. But they are old and their best player got hurt and it was over.

Last year the Cavs made Green go stupid and Curry wasn't 100% evening out the series. Cavs should get a game at home but if this turns and goes 7 the NBA has an issue. This isn't a single elimination tourney and GS is the better all around team.

bdubyab60

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 26, 2017, 02:15:21 pm
Sounds like the west is watered down.
the entire NBA is except for two teams.

RATTLER43

This is Lebron's legacy.  I truly believe he is the greatest athlete to ever play the game.   His stat lines are unparalleled.  But with a few exceptions he is not a cutthroat killer instinct finisher.   Missed layup in crunch time then inexplicably allows Durant to step into an open three to give Warriors the lead.   Still, give me Lebron for three quarters then any number of greats (Bird, MJ especially) to win games and titles.   He is top 5 all-time but has chinks in the armor just like I have described for years.  Totally disappeared in crunch time tonight with a win(for which he was largely responsible) so close at hand.

MDXPHD

That's absolutely correct. Best athlete to play but just not a killer.

smallybells

I have always looked at it this way, if Lebron Swapped size/stature with MJ, would he still be a super star or in this conversation? Probably not.

RATTLER43

Maybe; I have let it be known that I am not a Lebron fan but his skills have won me over to some degree. For the life of me I cannot understand how he can completely dominate for so much of a game then disappear late.  I think his athleticism and skill even at MJ's size would allow him to be incredible (maybe not quite as much as at his 6'8" 268 lbs physique) but his mentality would be the same. Vince Carter and crew showed video and pointed out times late in the game where he "should" have taken over.  He had an incredible driving lane but drove left into the defense and kicked out to Korver.  He actually turned down an opportunity to drive a dagger into their hearts if he drives and scores.

Maybe it is my dislike that makes it seem so apparent to me but I just think he could have won that game last night like so many times before in his career.  He is unstoppable but allows himself to not take over at the end of big games (last year being an exception).   Look at the other side:  KD took the downtown three to pull them close then hits the three in transition to take the lead.  No hesitation, just go for the throat.  That is what would put Lebron over the top in my opinion and he just cannot quite do it.  Killer mentality. Few have it.  That is why in my list I have MJ, Kareem, Magic, and Bird above Lebron.  Lebron is better athlete and deserves lots of his awards and accolades but is just not a killer.

RATTLER43

1. Michael Jordan - greatest all around player ever. By year 5, he had no weaknesses; even his 3-pt. shot had gotten good. His mid-range jumper and baseline post up fade-away was soooooo good.

1B. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - had he been a media darling instead of rubbing every sportswriter the wrong way he would be at the top of every list; he was the most dominating player ever. I put MJ over him because MJ could create his own shot.  Kareem needed a guard to get him the ball. Kareem was the best on both ends of the floor for 10 seasons. Even Wilt had to have help guarding him. First time in his career that he asked for help on a player. Kareem was unstoppable once he got the ball.

3. Magic Johnson  and Larry Bird are interchangeable. I put Magic at 3 because he won more titles than Larry Bird. Otherwise, you could put either of them at 3. Magic was so diverse at 6'9" PG. He would post up smaller PGs and developed outside shot and could go by the larger ones. His leadership was intangible that puts him at top of PG list. He was great in transition.

3B. Larry Bird - skills were unreal and he was so clutch. His determination equalled Magic's and MJ's. Bird seemed to think the game so that he knew what he and all others on the floor on both teams were going to do before they even did it. On multiple occasions I have watched a sequence where he knew he could not get the offensive rebound but knew where the rebounder would put the ball after securing; then Bird would steal it and throw to a spot on the floor where he knew his teammate would be without even looking leading to an easy score.

5..  Lebron James - greatest physical specimen the game has seen; he also can absolutely carry a team. I think his skill plus athleticism has potential to be at the top of this list. Win a few more titles and it may happen. But I think the thing that keeps him at anywhere between #3 and #5 is his lack of killer instinct.  Dominate a team, any team, for 3 quarters then often disappear in crunch time for much of career.

6.  Kobe Bryant - such a  fundamental player. Great athlete early; great player later. His offensive weapons are so numerous. Can score from any place on floor.

7.  Tim Duncan - I actually would take Tim over Wilt or Russell but it may be because they were before my time. I tried to leave my personal bias out and going by the numbers and my readings about them I allowed them to be placed accordingly. Tim was great at every phase of the post game and his bank shot from 17 feet was so tough on big slow power forwards trying to defend him. His footwork and defensive presence are so underappreciated. Just think if his nearly last second shot that Derek Fisher answered had been the game-winner and they had gone on to win....

7b.  Bill Russell - greatest champion ever. Defensive stalwart; great passer and ferocious defender. Offense had some chinks in it but you can't argue 11 titles.

8.  Shaq - most unstoppable  player ever. I really think he could have shot free shots on nearly every possession in his first 10 seasons(of course he would have missed most of them.). His lack of all-around game and atrocious free shot shooting move him down the list.

9.  Wilt Chamberlain - greatest scorer ever- period. Free shot shooting moves him down the list.

10.  Dr. J  His NBA career numbers do not do this great one justice. If you add his ABA days when he was at his athletic best he might be as high as #3.  By the time I got to watch him he was still great but not scoring at will above everybody any time he wanted. He was still the most athletic and gifted scorer in mid and late 70s. I have watched video of him while in ABA and I believe all those stories. 4 championships plus lost in 3 finals; 4 MVPs.   

10B. Oscar Robertson  Averaging basically a triple double over 5 seasons and helping Kareem to first title are just the tip of this iceberg.

Longfellow

I never have agreed with Tim Duncan in the top 10. I think there is a great argument to be made for both KG and Kevin McHale as the best power forward of all time. Duncan was a stone cold player. Some of my first memories of basketball came from watching the Spurs. But I just think Garnett was a better all around player and it's hard for me to argue against McHale. Duncan top 25 - no doubt. Top 10 - questionable

RATTLER43

McHale's low post moves were incredible, as good as I have ever seen; Garnett's intensity was what I want out of every player. I just like Duncan's all-around game, fundamentals, and winning, winning, and winning more for sooooooo long and surrounded by different teammates and playing different styles under Pop.  Cannot go wrong with any that you mentioned. Truly greatest power forwards ever along with Pettit, Barkley, and Malone in my opinion.  I was a Laker fan and the 80s Celtics were a thorn in the side. Never found a good way to defend McHale.  He was just so good.  Poor Garnett toiled in Minnesota so long that his wins and titles just don't match up well. I'd still take him on my all-time team any day.  But Duncan goes in my top 10 according to my way of rating/ranking.

RATTLER43

Okay. Lebron has an opportunity to move up into #3 all-time by himself should the Cavs come back and win this series which would again make history.  As I said in another thread, GS had better chop this head off quickly or it could happen. But as much as I would hate to admit it, with a comeback from 0-3 added to his already stellar career, I would have to move Lebron up the ladder leaving only MJ and Kareem in front of him.  As it is, he is already poised to join Magic and Bird at #3 soon.

RATTLER43

The last two games.........  Both teams' offensive prowess was off the charts. Physical play.    Durant got his title.   I truly enjoyed it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas