• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where would you live?

Started by Kazimierz, April 25, 2014, 05:41:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Ivan

True Believer

I just started fly fishing.  So I have a lot to learn but it's so beautiful and even when I don't catch anything, which is a lot :), just being there brings me back to who I need to be. 

I am going for 10 days soon.  It can't get here quickly enough.

ricepig

Quote from: True Believer on May 10, 2014, 10:36:51 pm
I just started fly fishing.  So I have a lot to learn but it's so beautiful and even when I don't catch anything, which is a lot :), just being there brings me back to who I need to be. 

Man, I'd love to be up on a stream in Idaho or one of those places. My oldest likes to fly fish, or at least cast, haha.

Valleysports

+1  if you went back to my first post - Yellowstone River, no tourist.

cuckoobird

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 11, 2014, 09:13:30 am
Trout flavor<gar

I don't know anyone that actually eats them, but they are fun to catch.

True Believer

Quote from: ricepig on May 10, 2014, 10:52:12 pm
Quote from: True Believer on May 10, 2014, 10:36:51 pm

Man, I'd love to be up on a stream in Idaho or one of those places. My oldest likes to fly fish, or at least cast, haha.

Hope to go up there someday too.  For now the best I can do is our Arkansas streams. 

Yellowstone is on the list too. 

True Believer

My favorite fish to eat is actually crappie. 

Lots of places in Arkansas to fish for those too. 

I love this state. 

Valleysports

Quote from: True Believer on May 11, 2014, 09:38:10 am

I love this state.

+1

And ricepig, next time you catch or someone brings you trout, call me for the recipe (I'll ask my wife).

cuckoobird

Oh i know lots of people who eat gar. Wont touch a trout tho

ricepig

May 11, 2014, 05:30:20 pm #110 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:38:46 pm by ricepig
Quote from: Valleysports on May 11, 2014, 12:12:42 pm
Quote from: True Believer on May 11, 2014, 09:38:10 am

I love this state.

+1

And ricepig, next time you catch or someone brings you trout, call me for the recipe (I'll ask my wife).
My cousin has some recipe that is done in the dishwasher, I don't remember all the specifics. I've had trout before that was ok, it's just not my favorite. In the fried department, I'll always go crappie or catfish. I also like Chilean sea bass or red snapper from the coast.

cuckoobird

Speaking of crappie, that was the mothers day dinner i cooked for my wife, mother, and daughter.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 11, 2014, 09:13:30 am
Trout flavor<gar

Boot leather > gar

Dumpster dinner > gar

Anything > gar

cuckoobird

But its stil better than trout

True Believer

I've never had gar.  And probably never will.

Nothing better, except crappie, than trout panfried in butter.

On the bank of a beautiful Arkansas stream.  I can't think of a more beautiful place for me.   

My son and I just got back from Bass Pro shopfor Mother's Day.  I'm ready now except for going onto the Orvis web sight to order a few more things.

What happened to getting just a pole, bobber, line and hook along with digging up worms....lol!!!   

DogsWin7

Quote from: True Believer on May 11, 2014, 07:27:48 pm

What happened to getting just a pole, bobber, line and hook along with digging up worms....lol!!!

I know what you mean!   I took my son,( just us two) and we went to Walmart first....he wanted all these fancy neon lures and whatever they are called(literally 100's to choose from)...so I bought a few....then when we got to the lake, I was going to put a worm on the end of his hook and he said, are you going to touch that? Lol!!     We didn't fish 15 to 30 min and he was done.   I was trying to teach him a little patience....  We had a good time, it was sweet watching his face...hopefully next time I'll catch a fish!

cuckoobird

Tb if you like trout then you should try gar, or drum, or silver carp, or polywog. All are much better to eat

True Believer

LOL...Cuckobird.  I will take your word for it.   None of those sound very good to me.  Except for the trout. 

Sorry.  :) 

cuckoobird

Quote from: True Believer on May 12, 2014, 06:33:38 am
LOL...Cuckobird.  I will take your word for it.   None of those sound very good to me.  Except for the trout. 

Sorry.  :)
best way to eat trout is dig a hole and make a fire in it. Lay your trout on a piece of 2x4 and cover with butter and foil. lay the foil directly on the fire and cover the hole with dirt. After about an hour uncover the foil and unwrap, then take the foil and trout off the board and throw them away. Enjoy the board

Valleysports

Wanna hear how Alaskan Natives (Eskimos) eat Trout / Salmon?  Two month process.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Valleysports on May 12, 2014, 12:27:35 pm
Wanna hear how Alaskan Natives (Eskimos) eat Trout / Salmon?  Two month process.
dried salmon is way better than trout. or fermented, which is it?

Valleysports

Salmon is a staple of the native Alaskan diet and natives have traditionally used all parts of the fish. One of the traditional delicacies is fermented salmon heads. Colloquially the dish has earned the name "stink heads." Essentially the heads of King salmon are buried in the ground in fermentation pits, put into plastic or wooden barrels, even plastic food storage bags, and left to let nature do its thing for a few weeks or more. The heads are then harvested and consumed as a putty-ish mash.

cuckoobird

Had that once and its still better than trout

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 12, 2014, 02:43:14 pm

Not sober, you didn't.......

cuckoobird

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2014, 03:01:21 pm

dead sober and starving, yes, I did

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 12, 2014, 03:12:38 pm

I can eat salmon and even sushi, but that sounds horrific.

cuckoobird

It wasnt very good thats for sure

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 12, 2014, 03:12:38 pm

Would have to be literal starvation.

cuckoobird

DogsWin7

cuckoobird

Lionheart88

Sounds slightly more palatable than Lutefisk (at least as described by a Minnesota-native professor I had in college).

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 12, 2014, 10:25:52 pm
Sounds slightly more palatable than Lutefisk (at least as described by a Minnesota-native professor I had in college).

Never eat the stuff while in a public setting. 

Church, for example.

Hoghead

Quote from: devil_kid on April 29, 2014, 11:23:02 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on April 29, 2014, 12:22:06 am
Alabama Summers?  :o

Daphne is on the coast... plenty of water to keep cool, late night breeze making cooler nights... I think it hardly ever gets over 90 in Daphne that's not too hot for me.... just because you and Sterling don't like hot weather
doesn't mean everybody agrees :P

It gets hotter than South Heck in Daphne in the Summer ! Its across the bay from Mobile. 100% humidity.  I spwnt 9 years down that way. It gets hot believe me ! Plus Daphne is 20 miles from the gulf. It sits on Mobile Bay.....Baldwin County.

Lions84

If it was not for the TAXES I would retire down around Lake Village.

AirWarren

Quote from: Lions84 on May 28, 2014, 10:54:34 am
Love me some Lake Chicot. People in yuppie central Arkansas laugh when they hear that there are some beautiful houses along that lake.

Valleysports

Yuppies in Central Arkansas? C'mon

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 28, 2014, 02:43:39 pm

Especially the River Valley area, just turrible.....

Valleysports

I don't understand where they're all coming from?   ???

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on May 28, 2014, 02:43:39 pm

I must be just mistaken.

Maybe the term is "metrosexuals".

Valleysports

Well that is the way Arkansas swings these days!  ::)

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on May 28, 2014, 03:27:56 pm
Well that is the way Arkansas swings these days!  ::)

My buddy in West Monroe, poster by the name of Flap Jack, asked me the other day when we were down there what in the world is going on in his home state of Arkansas. He said people in LA are tired of hearing about all of that mess on the news. What a way to make the news. 

Hoghead

Quote from: AirWarren on May 28, 2014, 12:22:30 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on May 28, 2014, 10:54:34 am
Love me some Lake Chicot. People in yuppie central Arkansas laugh when they hear that there are some beautiful houses along that lake.

It is some nice homes and property along Lake Chicot. You'd have to retire there though because the job situation in Lake Village isn't good.

Lionheart88

Two of my great-grandparents lived down there when I was growing up.  Probably the smallest house there on Stuart Island, they'd been there for decades before the rich folks started moving in.  We went down there every fourth of july when I was a kid.  Great memories.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas