• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Water War Continues

Started by Kazimierz, March 04, 2014, 10:26:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is Best?

Water from the tap - fluoride baby!
Water from the bottle - like totally
Mountain Valley Spring Water - the Natural State's Finest
The Hose....

Kazimierz

Random question... but my neighbor's kid asked me if I needed a bottle of water from his refrigerator after he saw me drinking from the hose.

It took me a second to even realize that he was judging me. C'mon man, hose water. Have I missed something, is hose water not kosher anymore?

ricepig

Usually hose water tastes like the house, but the tap water here is good. I like Dasini water, but I don't go out of my was to buy or drink it.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2014, 10:34:54 pm
Usually hose water tastes like the house, but the tap water here is good. I like Dasini water, but I don't go out of my was to buy or drink it.

But during the summer I drink it straight out of my faucet outside. Got a friend that everytime he comes over He'll get the biggest cup I have and go outside and fill it up from that faucet. Tri-County Water from the Illinois Bayou north of town....

And Kaz...No hose water isn't Kosher anymore, that's something only hicks/rednecks/hillbillies do....lol

Uncle Ivan

Depends on where you live.  The tap water here is a wretched joke.

HorseFeathers

It does . . . . The water in russellville tastes like bleach most days. .

Breitontime

Fiji or Smart water for me. I need to find a place to buy it by the pallet.

cuckoobird

I watched a show one time, it might have been 20/20 or something of that nature. Anyway, the moral to the story was that something like 75% of bottled water was nothing more than tap water. If i remember correctly the most expensive were the worst ones who were committing basicaly fraud. It did have mountain valley spring water on there and said it was one of the best though

sevenof400

Thankfully the water project from Greers Ferry (can't recall the proper name....) has made the water in East Faulkner County among the better tasting waters in the state.   

True Believer

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 05, 2014, 12:16:43 pm
I watched a show one time, it might have been 20/20 or something of that nature. Anyway, the moral to the story was that something like 75% of bottled water was nothing more than tap water. If i remember correctly the most expensive were the worst ones who were committing basicaly fraud. It did have mountain valley spring water on there and said it was one of the best though

I saw that show too.  I don't buy bottle water anymore.  But I do have one of those pitchers with the filter. 

I will never forget drinking water out of the water hose.  A great childhood memory.  I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again. 

But that water from Hot Springs is the best.  Even took milk jugs there once and filled them up.   

Valleysports

I have always drank water out of the water hose and I don't plan on stopping now!     

Uncle Ivan

Best tap water I've ever seen was the Cleburne county system.  Comes out of the lake.

True Believer

The  cabin at Heber was good well water until they started fracking up there.  Now it smells and tastes like rotten eggs.  Take my own to cook and drink.  They have  water system but have not hooked up to it.

Eddie Goodson

Had this very conversation yesterday at church in Sunday school. The water issue today is yet another proof of mental conditioning by corporations through commercials. The public in America has been brainwashed into believing their water is not safe to drink and the only way it can be safe is to buy it from a bottle or get it through a high priced filter. Both are pure lies. We have the safest drinking water in the world, especially in Arkansas where most of our water is well water.

The myth that there is enough chlorine in water to be harmful boarders on the absurd. Imagine a room filled with one million ping pong balls. If those balls represented water, 1.5 of them would be chlorine. That is how much is in your water you get from a tap. Water filters basically remove nothing from your water except the tiny bit of chlorine. It is all a huge waste of money.

At one time we were spending almost $200 a month on bottled water at the church when I said enough and stopped buying it.

Valleysports

Quote from: True Believer on March 10, 2014, 01:37:14 am
The  cabin at Heber was good well water until they started fracking up there.  Now it smells and tastes like rotten eggs.  Take my own to cook and drink.  They have  water system but have not hooked up to it.

Hydrogen sulfide gas is what gives off a rotten egg taste. Decaying vegetation forms sulfur bacteria, like in swamps, sewers, water wells.  It is prevalent during times of drought, when water tables are low in lakes, reservoirs, water sheds.  The sulfur bacteria is killed with chlorine and chased out by cleaning pipes.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on March 10, 2014, 06:11:21 am
Had this very conversation yesterday at church in Sunday school. The water issue today is yet another proof of mental conditioning by corporations through commercials. The public in America has been brainwashed into believing their water is not safe to drink and the only way it can be safe is to buy it from a bottle or get it through a high priced filter. Both are pure lies. We have the safest drinking water in the world, especially in Arkansas where most of our water is well water.

The myth that there is enough chlorine in water to be harmful boarders on the absurd. Imagine a room filled with one million ping pong balls. If those balls represented water, 1.5 of them would be chlorine. That is how much is in your water you get from a tap. Water filters basically remove nothing from your water except the tiny bit of chlorine. It is all a huge waste of money.

At one time we were spending almost $200 a month on bottled water at the church when I said enough and stopped buying it.

It's not chlorine I have a problem with.

Valleysports

March 10, 2014, 08:19:02 pm #15 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:23:04 pm by Valleysports
Calcium - magnesium / lime scale in hot water heater - need a water softner.  Had a water test?  Can drain, fill it with scale removal, soak, drain & flush a few times.  This is everyday life for some people. 

True Believer

Quote from: Valleysports on March 10, 2014, 07:42:52 am
Quote from: True Believer on March 10, 2014, 01:37:14 am

Hydrogen sulfide gas is what gives off a rotten egg taste. Decaying vegetation forms sulfur bacteria, like in swamps, sewers, water wells.  It is prevalent during times of drought, when water tables are low in lakes, reservoirs, water sheds.  The sulfur bacteria is killed with chlorine and chased out by cleaning pipes.

Well thanks!!   Is it expensive to do that?   So I can do the chlorine and clean the water pipes or hook up to the water system?   

Valleysports

Oh I'm not sure about your situation TB - I'm just shooting off about what I've seen and dealt with.  You're on a well?  Water table from Greer's Ferry?  Need to have it tested first thing.  I don't think it would cost much to treat the well, but you'd better get with the experts for this.  Take notice to see if it might actually be from the hot water.  Since your hot water tank is sitting, a likely place for the bacteria to build up would be there - sulfur reacting with the sacrificial magnesium anodes.  A few pints of hydrogen peroxide (safer than chlorine) poured into your off line hot water heater will do it.  Next time you go up there, pour some Hydrogen Peroxide through the overflow hole of all your sinks.  Stops your sink from smelling.

True Believer

Lionheart88

My sister is constantly getting dad to buy bottled water when she's in from school, but I think it's a huge waste of money.  I just fill a glass from the sink.  I read somewhere once that well over 99% of the cost of bottled water is in the bottle, packaging, shipping, labeling, etc, not the water.  That article said that you could fill refill the bottle from the tap every day for 10 years before the cost of the water you'd used reached the cost of the bottle at the store.

Valleysports

Plastic bottles, styrofoam cups, etc, are made from petroleum.  I don't drink hot liquid from cups and I keep those plastic bottles out of the sun as well. 

Valleysports

Quote from: HF on March 05, 2014, 09:38:42 am
It does . . . . The water in russellville tastes like bleach most days. .

While I think the water is great, you need to know that they'll be doing the Spring Pipe Flushing this week.  I heard it announced on the radio but didn't get the date.  Be looking for that bleach taste you're describing! LOL

Lions84

Quote from: Kazimierz on March 04, 2014, 10:26:28 pm
Random question... but my neighbor's kid asked me if I needed a bottle of water from his refrigerator after he saw me drinking from the hose.

It took me a second to even realize that he was judging me. C'mon man, hose water. Have I missed something, is hose water not kosher anymore?

The Best water is from a Rice Well.

Valleysports

Quote from: Lions84 on March 20, 2014, 11:48:45 am

Fertilizer makes the water taste sweet.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Valleysports on March 20, 2014, 01:08:06 pm

not from the gate at the bottom of the field. Straight out of the riser at the top

Lions84

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 20, 2014, 01:09:51 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on March 20, 2014, 01:08:06 pm

not from the gate at the bottom of the field. Straight out of the riser at the top

On the Farm we had a well with cement block open tank build beside it to build up pressure to evenly flood the field by the house.  We swam in it and got a drink right off the stainless steel 3 inch tube that was filling the Tank.  It was always about 56 degrees in the summer. It was good cold and refreshing.

Eddie Goodson

There is absolutely nothing that can compare to crawing out on an irrigation well pipe on a hot summer day, taking your hand and making a hollow fist, and drinking that clear cold water. Then, when you're done, standing up on the pipe and diving in. Awesome.

ricepig

I agree with cooling off at the discharge pipe, but the best water?? Your wells must not put out the orange iron that the majority of ours do, not really inviting.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2014, 02:06:41 pm
I agree with cooling off at the discharge pipe, but the best water?? Your wells must not put out the orange iron that the majority of ours do, not really inviting.
That's not the wells I grew up on. Many of the ones I remember were deep clear cold water. Liked the cold water because the snakes stayed away from it.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on March 26, 2014, 02:28:21 pm
That's not the wells I grew up on. Many of the ones I remember were deep clear cold water. Liked the cold water because the snakes stayed away from it.
+1 on them snakes

ricepig

By the end of the pumping season on a rice field, the orange scum would be so bad that it acted as a boom and held the water back. We'd have to take a mudmaster and run out the pto ditches. Somebody sold some chemical or agent that they said would break it up, never did for me. As far as snakes, I no likee

cuckoobird

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2014, 04:55:21 pm

By the end of the pumping season on a rice field, the orange scum would be so bad that it acted as a boom and held the water back. We'd have to take a mudmaster and run out the pto ditches. Somebody sold some chemical or agent that they said would break it up, never did for me. As far as snakes, I no likee
that clean water runs deep

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 26, 2014, 05:03:20 pm
Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2014, 04:55:21 pm

that clean water runs deep

Yeah, but we can find water at 40ft for about $12-15,000 a well.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas