• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The coming dread of June...

Started by sevenof400, March 04, 2014, 08:01:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

It is set up so teachers will have a consistent paycheck - even when they are on a 3 month vacation.  You can't draw unemployment, unless are unemployed and teachers are not unemployed in the summer.  Best thing would be for them to earn their keep all year round... J

Texarkana_Piggie

we don't all get paid 12 months anymore.  we get the balance of our contract in june if we are direct deposit.  which means i go from june 15-september 15 getting paid once.  because september's paycheck is the first check on the new contract year. 
in other news....1 more day!  1 more day! 1 more day!

Valleysports

LOL - I give up, guess you people are too excited about the break, to rattle..  ;D

True Fan

Maybe laid off would be a better description. Any way you look at it, it's unpaid leave. Contract is from August to May(+ snow days).

I think the cost of going year round, mainly the AC bill to keep the un-acclimated kids comfy, will keep it from ever being seriously considered. 

ricepig

Quote from: True Fan on May 28, 2014, 05:52:06 pm
Maybe laid off would be a better description. Any way you look at it, it's unpaid leave. Contract is from August to May(+ snow days).

I think the cost of going year round, mainly the AC bill to keep the un-acclimated kids comfy, will keep it from ever being seriously considered.

No, it's getting your yearly salary in 10 checks with the added boost of two months vacation.

Valleysports

Quote from: True Fan on May 28, 2014, 05:52:06 pm

My proposal is Trimester - 3 months school / 1 month off.  Teachers over play the AC cost - lol.  What about the heating bill?  Education should be first priority.....

True Fan

Yearly salary? Only if it is a coach or administrator on a twelve month contract. Contract labor is more like it. Paid vacation is the handful of personal days a teacher gets.
A teachers contract is for a specific number of days. Any days missed that are not covered by leave policies are deducted from their pay.

Overstated or not, my utilities are higher when it's hot. Schools around here get away with not having AC on the buses. Not good through the dog days of July.

But, before we get into all of that, are you sure that a different schedule is better?

I'm a fan of the German system that places students in an appropriate educational or vocational track based on their strengths.

Breitontime

Your last sentence, TF, is how it should work.

One of my best friends is Austrian. Same thing there. We were discussing it the other night. In 6th grade there, you either continue school, or head into job training. He said they essentially have an ASVAB. If you're strong in mechanics, you head to that type of training, etc.

Valleysports

Quote from: True Fan on May 28, 2014, 08:15:29 pm
But, before we get into all of that, are you sure that a different schedule is better?

Oh absolutely not - I was only needling me some teachers.... 

Texarkana_Piggie

my contract is for 188 days.  so my pay covers those 188 days and no more.  i do not get paid for days in the summer except the 10 contracted inservice days right after school is out and right before school starts back.  2nd week of June and july and the first week of august, are not included in my contracted days.  although i usually put in several days during those times to get my room ready for summer (this year, stripping it bare so it can be painted) and in august getting it ready for school to start.  we are not given contracted days to work on our classrooms to prepare them.  i will say i have spent the last two days (and i'll finish up the next two days) packing up my room because they are going to start painting monday.  so we won't have time without kids to pack up.  they have been doing review busy work at their tables while i pack up my room. 

Valleysports

I've lost track of what the point is.  Teachers work 188 days and get paid for it - is there a problem?

DogsWin7

Quote from: Valleysports on May 28, 2014, 10:04:44 pm
I've lost track of what the point is.  Teachers work 188 days and get paid for it - is there a problem?

The problem is they usually have to work more days than 188 in order to get everything ready.    Come on....pay attention. 

Valleysports

May 28, 2014, 10:40:02 pm #62 Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:54:04 am by Valleysports
Oh I'm paying attention - just waiting for someone to whine about it.  If a teacher doesn't like spending the extra day or two setting up / taking down, before / after the school year, they should've gone with another career.  Most people spend extra time at their job, without getting paid for it.  I spend two weeks, per year, just traveling to my job without getting paid for it.  If I wanted to be at home, every night, holidays, and summers, be with my family 365 days a year - I'd be a teacher.  Actually I'd love that, but I made a choice based on what teachers get paid vs the home life.... 

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 28, 2014, 10:04:44 pm

Correct, I don't see why the crying then? In farming, I get paid a couple of times a year, no problem........

True Fan

In summary,  nobody has to teach. It was just a poor career choice (financially). Farmers never complain and have it worse.  ;D

Just suck it up and make do. Enjoy your summer. People who are jealous of you making a great  choice (family) will continue to be jealous and question the system. Especially the poor parents who don't want their brat kids at home any more than they have to be.

Is our education system perfect? Not by a mile.
Can it be fixed? Not likely, in our me-me-me society.
Dumbing down is hard to avoid if you believe that everyone deserves an equal education.
Many great teachers are held back or leave the field because of the kids who don't want an education.
But, positive solutions will never pass the juice box mentality.

I teach in a vocational field. I get students who counselors feel are "good with their hands", they try to talk the "smart" students back to the college track. Which is fine until they realize the amount of math and science required. Real world application requires an understanding of the basic theory and principles of electrical, hydraulic and physics. Technical manuals are not written on the eighth grade level that earns a high school diploma. It can be a challenge.

But, I do it because I love it. It wouldn't matter to me if the schedule was changed. I enjoy the summer off but am usually ready to get back to school in the fall.

Breitontime

True Fan

ricepig

Quote from: True Fan on May 29, 2014, 11:50:28 am
In summary,  nobody has to teach. It was just a poor career choice (financially). Farmers never complain and have it worse.  ;D

Just suck it up and make do. Enjoy your summer. People who are jealous of you making a great  choice (family) will continue to be jealous and question the system. Especially the poor parents who don't want their brat kids at home any more than they have to be.

Dumbing down is hard to avoid if you believe that everyone deserves an equal education.
Many great teachers are held back or leave the field because of the kids who don't want an education.

I teach in a vocational field. I get students who counselors feel are "good with their hands", they try to talk the "smart" students back to the college track. Which is fine until they realize the amount of math and science required. Real world application requires an understanding of the basic theory and principles of electrical, hydraulic and physics. Technical manuals are not written on the eighth grade level that earns a high school diploma. It can be a challenge.

But, I do it because I love it. It wouldn't matter to me if the schedule was changed. I enjoy the summer off but am usually ready to get back to school in the fall.
Well, I'm glad we got this straightened out.  ;D I come from a household where my Mom was a teacher, I know the story. My point was that some made it sound like you only get paid for 10 months work while working 12. It's a great field for those inclined to helping others, no disrespect on my part.

True Fan

It's all good. With a 190 day contract minus 3 personal days and 10 sick days, I figure I actually work less than half of the year anyway. With that, I can justify that salary schedule a little better in my mind. Plenty of opportunity for me to supplement my income, as needed. But, I still think I should be paid more based on the QUALITY of education that I'm providing. ;)

ricepig

Quote from: True Fan on May 29, 2014, 12:46:50 pm
It's all good. With a 190 day contract minus 3 personal days and 10 sick days, I figure I actually work less than half of the year anyway. With that, I can justify that salary schedule a little better in my mind. Plenty of opportunity for me to supplement my income, as needed. But, I still think I should be paid more based on the QUALITY of education that I'm providing. ;)

Well, of course, we all want more! Do your personal/sick days rollover?

True Fan

Personal don't. Sick days do. The first few years I lost some personal days. It's hard to come from industry where I had missed 2 days in about the last decade. Got tired of losing them and make sure to take them. I've got about a semester of sick days built up, just in case.

ricepig

Quote from: True Fan on May 29, 2014, 01:22:14 pm
Personal don't. Sick days do. The first few years I lost some personal days. It's hard to come from industry where I had missed 2 days in about the last decade. Got tired of losing them and make sure to take them. I've got about a semester of sick days built up, just in case.

I thought they did, that doesn't happen everywhere.

sevenof400

I can't speak for all public schools but our sick days rollover.  We can accumulate up to 5 personal days that will rollover from year to year but each district has their own unique rules on personal and sick days.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: True Fan on May 28, 2014, 08:15:29 pm

I'm a fan of the German system that places students in an appropriate educational or vocational track based on their strengths.

ricepig

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: ricepig on May 29, 2014, 07:00:09 pm

Sure, I'm positive the tobacco farmers appreciate it.

Perhaps they don't pee and moan about being "broke" quite so much.

ricepig

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 29, 2014, 07:14:22 pm
Quote from: ricepig on May 29, 2014, 07:00:09 pm

Sure, I'm positive the tobacco farmers appreciate it.

Perhaps they don't pee and moan about being "broke" quite so much.

Shoot no, they had a quota system that made them rich, like a monopoly.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: ricepig on May 29, 2014, 07:15:37 pm

Bought them fancy houses and new trucks every two years.  Good gig.

ricepig

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 29, 2014, 07:40:00 pm
Quote from: ricepig on May 29, 2014, 07:15:37 pm

Bought them fancy houses and new trucks every two years.  Good gig.

Who drives a truck more than a year? Farmers must be broke around Wynne.

Valleysports

Quote from: True Fan on May 29, 2014, 11:50:28 am

That's a good post TF

Texarkana_Piggie

i just get tired of people saying teachers get paid in the summer when they don't work.  that is not true.  it is the perception.  we get paid for 188 days but that is spread out over 365 days. 

Breitontime

May 29, 2014, 09:03:00 pm #84 Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:34:00 pm by Breitontime
In 2012-2013 the average starting teacher in Arkansas made $32,600. So, you're getting a full years salary in 8-9 months. That would be where budgeting comes in to play.

http://www.nea.org/home/2012-2013-average-starting-teacher-salary.html

Uncle Ivan

ricepig

True Fan

Quote from: Breitontime on May 29, 2014, 09:03:00 pm
So, you're getting a full years salary in 8-9 months.

No, teachers are getting a salary for the days that they are contracted to work. If that number was 260, it would be a full year.

Breitontime

I understand that. But, essentially, a new teacher is making near $33K in those 8-9 months. Same as a normal person making the same over 12.

True Fan

Teachers aren't normal people. ;D

True Fan

Back in the day, summers weren't even an issue.

Valleysports

May 30, 2014, 02:02:28 am #91 Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:04:29 am by Valleysports
Now we have to pass rules forcing teachers to wear panties   :-\

sevenof400

Quote from: Valleysports on May 30, 2014, 02:02:28 am
Now we have to pass rules forcing teachers to wear panties   :-\
You should see the list of rules required for some of the students.....and their parents...

VHSCoach2

May 30, 2014, 09:03:15 am #93 Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:07:34 am by VHSCoach2
People who actually think teachers have summers off are funny....

We may not be in the classroom over the summer, but having a "two-month paid vacation" is the farthest thing from the truth.  Unless you are a teacher, or work in a school setting every day, you have no ground to speak on this subject. 

Breitontime

May 30, 2014, 09:47:07 am #94 Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:20:18 am by Breitontime
One I spend a good amount of time with, does a couple clinics here and there during the summer, and she's strapped to a wakeboard just about every day. She has plenty of "vacation" time in the summer.

ricepig

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 30, 2014, 09:03:15 am
People who actually think teachers have summers off are funny....

We may not be in the classroom over the summer, but having a "two-month paid vacation" is the farthest thing from the truth.  Unless you are a teacher, or work in a school setting every day, you have no ground to speak on this subject.

How about those that are married to one and know their schedule?

Breitontime

It's also slightly astounding the amount of teachers I see at the bar on any given night of the week.

sevenof400

Quote from: Breitontime on May 30, 2014, 10:21:19 am
It's also slightly astounding the amount of teachers I see at the bar on any given night of the week.
So teachers wear id's at the bar?  You know all of these folks are teachers, Breit? 

On the other hand, after dealing with the plethora of neurotic kids they see in a day, it is understandable.   

Breitontime

Texarkana_Piggie

i celebrated the last day of school yesterday sitting by a friend's pool, sipping wine and eating pizza.  there always have been and always will be people who think teachers are overpaid for the amount of time we work.  not ever going to make every one happy. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas