• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The coming dread of June...

Started by sevenof400, March 04, 2014, 08:01:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

Quote from: True Fan on June 03, 2014, 05:40:49 pm
Well Valley, my funds have run low and I sure could use some more pencils and notebooks to pass out, if you could hook a brother up.

Are you teaching summer school?  What's your name, charitable organization, address, phone number?

Texarkana_Piggie

back to the original topic....i have enjoyed my first 3 days off.  i slept late (7:30 as opposed to 6:00), read, napped a little (one day), had lunch with a friend, taken care of dr and dentist appointments, and the rest of the week, i'm getting the kid ready for church camp.  it is weird that the arkansas side is out and the texas kids  are still going.  that is usually the other way around! 

phdefense

True Fan

June 04, 2014, 11:53:22 am #203 Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:38:22 pm by True Fan
No summer school, Valley. Sitting at the lake enjoying the huge summer break teachers get. Looking ahead to the fall. Will be headed to Nashville next month for the High Schools That Work conference to learn more about how common core ties into career and technical ed.

Just make the check out to SkillsUSA

Ouachita Career Center
Attn: Automotive
1 College Circle
Malvern AR 72104

Thanks

True Fan

Of course, a gas card could be "discretionary", if you're still operating under the table. ;)

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: True Fan on June 04, 2014, 11:53:22 am
No summer school, Valley. Sitting at the lake enjoying the huge summer break teachers get. Looking ahead to tge fall. Will be headed to Nashville week after next for the High Schools That Work conference to learn more about how common core ties into career and technical ed.

Just make the check out to SkillsUSA

Ouachita Career Center
Attn: Automotive
1 College Circle
Malvern AR 72104

Thanks
Next week I have school based inservice...state required stuff and STEM training.  Then in July I have 2 days in little rock for an Econ conference on financial literacy and 3 days at the end of July with the Buck institute on PBL.  Then a week off (which I will spend working in my room) then back to school inservice the second week of August. 

True Fan

June 04, 2014, 01:55:27 pm #206 Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:39:29 pm by True Fan
Yea,  I have the ACTE conferences and Arkansas Career Education workshops in July. Our curriculum just went through a major revision so I have to revise the entire upcoming year based on updated frameworks. Also, am staring down the barrel of a NATEF re-accreditation inspection. Also, newly revised to ensure that auto shop kids aren't just building dragsters or dirt track cars or tuners or motorcycles or whatever the particular instructor does as a hobby. I'll spend a lot of "vacation" time putting that together this summer.

Oh yea, Valley, you can feel feel good about your donation. My students have won three gold medals, a silver and a bronze in the state SkillsUSA competition in auto service or parts in the last four years. It's a worthy cause. ;D

DogsWin7

I'm glad June has arrived and school is finally out.   I like having my son at home with me.   I plan on sleeping in and making his favorite pancakes, then hopefully, swimming or being outside most if not all day and summer. :)

I feel for the teachers, who are constantly at workshops, and who put in countless hours trying to figure a way to make education fun and easy for our children.     It's a hard job and they aren't always recognized enough by parents for the work they do.    They have families and lives they have to juggle as well.   

A new governor and a new commissioner of education that's coming, could possibly have yet a different idea altogether that they must follow.   Education is the goal.   

Breitontime

Wait, you can't work on bikes or race cars? That sounds boring.

True Fan

Quote from: Breitontime on June 04, 2014, 02:35:28 pm

You can, as long as you're covering all of the other basics. The key is it integrate the projects into the section that you are covering. In the past, some classes only did what the wanted. A kid could work on standard brakes all program long and be "certified" in brakes. The problem is when he gets in a dealership and the first brake job that he gets is an ABS light on.   

ricepig

Quote from: True Fan on June 04, 2014, 03:45:42 pm
Quote from: Breitontime on June 04, 2014, 02:35:28 pm

You can, as long as you're covering all of the other basics. The key is it integrate the projects into the section that you are covering. In the past, some classes only did what the wanted. A kid could work on standard brakes all program long and be "certified" in brakes. The problem is when he gets in a dealership and the first brake job that he gets is an ABS light on.

Pull the bulb?

True Fan

You could do that. Well, except that the bulb is probably an integrated diode in the instrument cluster.

Or, you could use a scan tool to retrieve the diagnostic trouble code from the ABS module, test the identified circuit, analyze the results, and then repair or replace the faulty component.

ricepig

Quote from: True Fan on June 04, 2014, 04:36:30 pm
You could do that. Well, except that the bulb is probably an integrated diode in the instrument cluster.

Or, you could use a scan tool to retrieve the diagnostic trouble code from the ABS module, test the identified circuit, analyze the results, and then repair or replace the faulty component.

Nah, sounds like a lot of trouble, I'll just put some tape over it.

Valleysports

As an outside source - I'll do some interviews - verify how much school related work teachers do in the summer.  Anyone want to guess what the data will show?  Any area I should ask in these interviews?  ;D 

Texarkana_Piggie

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas