• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The coming dread of June...

Started by sevenof400, March 04, 2014, 08:01:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Breitontime

Personally, I think they should be paid more, but, it needs to be a heck of a lot harder to become a teacher.

It shouldn't be a fallback degree for those who can not hack it in a "real" degree program, as it is for far too many currently.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on May 30, 2014, 11:29:20 am
i celebrated the last day of school yesterday sitting by a friend's pool, sipping wine and eating pizza.  there always have been and always will be people who think teachers are overpaid for the amount of time we work.  not ever going to make every one happy.

That's the sad truth.  The people who think teachers are overpaid, or call teachers "babysitters," are the same people who don't know what do with their kids by the second day of any sort of break from school. Most (if not all) first-year teachers don't even make $40,000 a year BEFORE taxes, which of course means even less after taxes. If anything, teachers definitely rank in the top five most underpaid professions in the United States.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Breitontime on May 30, 2014, 11:50:09 am
Personally, I think they should be paid more, but, it needs to be a heck of a lot harder to become a teacher.

It shouldn't be a fallback degree for those who can not hack it in a "real" degree program, as it is for far too many currently.

You can tell the difference between the teachers who truly love their profession and the ones who use an education degree as a "fallback."  The ones that use it as a fallback are the teachers that last a year or less in the classroom.  I know you meant no harm, but to those of us that truly wanted to become school teachers and coaches, to say our hard work and our degree is not a "real" degree program is pretty insulting.

sevenof400

We have had that discussion previously and I absolutely agree with your position here, Breit.  Unfortunately, how do you change this?  The universities and colleges sure aren't going to stop producing education degree holders so it seems to me this problem has to be addressed from the other side - that of the school system.  Schools have to be the force of change on this and it will take a long time.  Teachers should be content degree holders first and then education degrees (classroom managment, etc) second.  To that end, I like what many schools are doing with MAT degrees as they take content degree holding undergrads, provide some classroom management skills, and then put these teachers in a classroom. 

The problem is a good number of schools will not consider MAT degree holders because these folks did not follow the traditional teacher path. 

There has to be a force for change here.

ricepig

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on May 30, 2014, 11:29:20 am
i celebrated the last day of school yesterday sitting by a friend's pool, sipping wine and eating pizza.  there always have been and always will be people who think teachers are overpaid for the amount of time we work.  not ever going to make every one happy.

You take the days you work and divide them by you pay and it's a comparable wage. Like most jobs, it has its benefits and it's drawbacks, nothing more, nothing less.

Breitontime

May 30, 2014, 12:58:06 pm #105 Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:08:36 pm by Breitontime
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 30, 2014, 12:37:16 pm

You can tell the difference between the teachers who truly love their profession and the ones who use an education degree as a "fallback."  The ones that use it as a fallback are the teachers that last a year or less in the classroom.  I know you meant no harm, but to those of us that truly wanted to become school teachers and coaches, to say our hard work and our degree is not a "real" degree program is pretty insulting.
Not meant to be insulting. However, it is the truth. There absolutely are some great teachers. There are also a lot of teachers who couldn't hack it in tough majors. It's just too easy to get a degree to teach. I know several who have been at it 5+ years.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Breitontime on May 30, 2014, 12:58:06 pm

Not meant to be insulting. However, it is the truth. There absolutely are some great teachers. There are also a lot of teachers who couldn't hack it in tough majors. It's just too easy to get a degree to teach. I know several who have been at it 5+ years.

I knew you weren't being insulting (I wasn't insulted lol).  I was referring to people who may not have read through the topic and skipped to the last page and saw your post. 

I do agree with you that the requirements for an education degree are not as tough/strenuous/etc. as other degree fields.  I do wish that was changed.  I don't think teachers should just have to pass three tests (Praxis I, Praxis II, PLT), and then complete degree requirements.  More should be added to that.  If it weren't for the money it would ultimately cost the universities, cut some of the general education requirements and add more for the degree requirements.  My education degree field didn't teach me everything that I wished it would have.  I have learned so many things during my first year from my follow teachers that wasn't even brought up in my education classes.  However, as I stated, I've known since my high school years that I wanted to be a teacher and a coach, so the education field definitely wasn't a fallback for me.

Texarkana_Piggie

I get amused at people who, when I say I teach kindergarten, automatically say "oh how fun!  You get to play all day!"  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I have also had parents ask if I had to go to college to teach kindergarten. Not only did I go, I had to have extra hours above ther regular ed classes to teach K.  Plus I have a masters degree with 30 hours above that in sp ed, arts and history.  Kindergarten kids now have to leave K able to add and subtract to 10 fluently, read on a low 1st grade level, and write a 3 sentence paragraph.  Yeah, we play all day.  And oh yeah, nap all afternoon too. 

True Fan

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on May 30, 2014, 02:04:47 pm
Kindergarten kids now have to leave K able to add and subtract to 10 fluently, read on a low 1st grade level, and write a 3 sentence paragraph. 

Too bad this wasn't in place ten or eleven years ago, I get some juniors and seniors that struggle with those tasks. Well, except the math, as long as they can use their phone. ;)

ricepig

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on May 30, 2014, 02:04:47 pm
I get amused at people who, when I say I teach kindergarten, automatically say "oh how fun!  You get to play all day!"  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I have also had parents ask if I had to go to college to teach kindergarten. Not only did I go, I had to have extra hours above ther regular ed classes to teach K.  Plus I have a masters degree with 30 hours above that in sp ed, arts and history.  Kindergarten kids now have to leave K able to add and subtract to 10 fluently, read on a low 1st grade level, and write a 3 sentence paragraph.  Yeah, we play all day.  And oh yeah, nap all afternoon too.

You finger paint, color, and blow bubbles all day, don't kid us.

Texarkana_Piggie

sevenof400

I'm just waiting for you to unload with both barrels TP!

Valleysports

May 30, 2014, 08:48:52 pm #113 Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:15:42 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 30, 2014, 09:03:15 am
People who actually think teachers have summers off are funny....

We may not be in the classroom over the summer, but having a "two-month paid vacation" is the farthest thing from the truth.  Unless you are a teacher, or work in a school setting every day, you have no ground to speak on this subject.

Have never saw a post of non support, for teachers, on this board - I'm a huge advocate of higher pay / cut the dummies.  I know you're a Newbie - but keep it real - you're not going to blow BS up our skirts!  ::)

Texarkana_Piggie

I'm not complaining about my pay or my time off.  I like both.  I guess what irks me is the perception so many people have that teachers get paid for being off in the summer and that we only work 8-3:30 Monday thru Friday and that we spend June, July and August sitting on the couch eating Bon bons.  There are a lot of teachers I know (esp. ones who are single parents) who work a second job in the evenings, on weekends or in the summer to make ends meet for their families.  I just get aggravated at the lack of respect for teaching as a real profession.  It is often seen as a fall back or not a real profession but just a job.  Anyway...I'll hush now.  Y'all have a good one. 

sevenof400

That wasn't even one barrel's worth TP! 
Are you mellowing?

Uncle Ivan

sevenof400

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 31, 2014, 01:34:29 pm
Wine and pizza, more like it.

No doubt, but I'd sure like to have some of that right about now. 

Breitontime

Ah, wine. We're transitioned from Whiskey Wednesday to Wino Wednesday. Love me some good wine.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Breitontime on May 31, 2014, 03:07:57 pm
Ah, wine. We're transitioned from Whiskey Wednesday to Wino Wednesday. 

Toilet Thursday was getting a little too rough.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 31, 2014, 09:49:48 am
That wasn't even one barrel's worth TP! 
Are you mellowing?

i'm just tired.  i think the word is actually weary. 

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 31, 2014, 01:34:29 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on May 31, 2014, 09:49:48 am

Are you mellowing?

Wine and pizza, more like it.

hahahaha!!  that was thursday.  that won't happen again for a long time.

Breitontime

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 31, 2014, 03:42:20 pm
Quote from: Breitontime on May 31, 2014, 03:07:57 pm
Ah, wine. We're transitioned from Whiskey Wednesday to Wino Wednesday. 

Toilet Thursday was getting a little too rough.
Na, I know my limits, and abide by them. No need for a toilet.

ricepig

Texarkana_Piggie

phdefense

Quote from: Breitontime on May 30, 2014, 09:47:07 am
One I spend a good amount of time with, does a couple clinics here and there during the summer, and she's strapped to a wakeboard just about every day. She has plenty of unpaid "vacation" time in the summer.
FIFY

phdefense

May 31, 2014, 10:12:46 pm #126 Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:21:34 pm by phdefense

If you knew half as much as you thought you knew you would know that you can not get certified to teach solely by having a degree.

You seem to come from the "those who can do, those who can't...teach" camp. Another thing covered by your under appreciated ignorance is that the highest level of cognitive understanding is to be able to teach another what you know.

Valleysports

June 01, 2014, 08:33:52 am #127 Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:01:48 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: phdefense on May 31, 2014, 10:12:46 pm

If you knew half as much as you thought you knew you would know that you can not get certified to teach solely by having a degree.

You seem to come from the "those who can do, those who can't...teach" camp. Another thing covered by your under appreciated ignorance is that the highest level of cognitive understanding is to be able to teach another what you know.

The loudest teachers are typically the idiots - know several of them.  I know a girl (family is close friends of ours) who just finished getting her teaching degree or whatever - she's going to teach 5th graders this next year.  Not a very bright person - failed out of 3 other majors - had to settle for being a teacher.  Phdefense, are you sure you want to solicit a debate over teachers having the highest level of cognitive understanding?

Breitontime

June 01, 2014, 10:57:22 am #128 Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:33:15 am by Breitontime
Just because one can pass the exams (three is it?) After finishing the degree does not make them good teachers.

Some highly intelligent people are terrible test takers, some not so intelligent are good at them.

Nor does passing a few tests and knocking out student-teaching mean that you can relay knowledge well. I know several, and had several as teachers that were terrible at teaching.

As I previously stated, there absolutely are some great teachers, and there are also a lot of atrocioisly terrible teachers there for an easy paycheck.

phdefense

Quote from: Breitontime on June 01, 2014, 10:57:22 am
Just because one can pass the exams (three is it?) After finishing the degree does not make them good teachers.

Some highly intelligent people are terrible test takers, some not so intelligent are good at them.

Nor does passing a few tests and knocking out student-teaching mean that you can relay knowledge well. I know several, and had several as teachers that were terrible at teaching.

As I previously stated, there absolutely are some great teachers, and there are also a lot of atrocioisly terrible teachers there for an easy paycheck.
Still lacking. You have to do more than pass three tests now as well. TP is laughing at both of you right now. Here is a link to Arkansas' teacher evaluation system http://www.arkansased.org/divisions/human-resources-educator-effectiveness-and-licensure/office-of-educator-effectiveness/teacher-evaluation-system . You and Valley are smart I am sure you two can decipher it. If I were to wager if either of you had to go through the red tape that teacher do to be able to both do your job and maintain your working credentials that you would find a different profession. Just to add fuel to the fire here is a list of the IQ ranges of respective professions http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/occupations.aspx . You two go ahead and keep spouting your anecdotal evidence though I am sure you will make your science "teachers" proud. LOL

BTW I am not a teacher. I do however have the capability to properly view the profession for what it is. Maybe instead continuing to perpetuate the " those who can ...do and those who can't ...teach". We should give momentum to the more accurate " those who are selfless...teach and those who are selfish...don't"

An artist legacy is every piece of art they create. An art teacher's legacy is every artist they create.

Breitontime

Until they find a way to weed out the countless morons that are now, and becoming, teachers I will maintain my point of view. Many, many teachers will tell you there are absolute imbeciles teaching, and it is entirely too easy to become a teacher.

I could be wrong, are a lot of teachers not rated on how well their students perform on standardized tests?

My red tape is with the EPA. Probably a bit more stringent than a teacher.

Valleysports

June 01, 2014, 01:52:54 pm #131 Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 02:03:46 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: phdefense on June 01, 2014, 01:17:36 pm
You and Valley are smart I am sure you two can decipher it. If I were to wager if either of you had to go through the red tape that teacher do to be able to both do your job and maintain your working credentials that you would find a different profession.

Ha ha probably not anyone on FF matches my red tape - you'd lose that wager for dang sure. What profession would you think has the most red tape in America?  Now I've never claimed to be overly intelligent - just been lucky to keep keep a roof over my family's head.    This discussion would've ended long ago if you and others, thinking you're honorably standing up for teachers, wouldn't have thrown out dumb rear statements.  Every smart teacher, I know, several in my family - dislikes having the dumbest, in the class, become teachers.  Half my college team mates shouldn't have been in college - yet they became coach / teachers - Duh.  Don't mean to offend you but stop acting like a PE / Drivers Ed / Head HS Football Coach!

Oh and btw, TP and I have privately discussed this - she knows I support her and every other legit teacher.  Like I said - I live with teachers!  ::)

ricepig

Valley, I thought farmers had it the worse with EPA and big oil had them bought off.  ;D

phdefense

Quote from: Valleysports on June 01, 2014, 01:52:54 pm
Quote from: phdefense on June 01, 2014, 01:17:36 pm
You and Valley are smart I am sure you two can decipher it. If I were to wager if either of you had to go through the red tape that teacher do to be able to both do your job and maintain your working credentials that you would find a different profession.

Ha ha probably not anyone on FF matches my red tape - you'd lose that wager for dang sure. What profession would you think has the most red tape in America?  Now I've never claimed to be overly intelligent - just been lucky to keep keep a roof over my family's head.    This discussion would've ended long ago if you and others, thinking you're honorably standing up for teachers, wouldn't have thrown out dumb rear statements.  Every smart teacher, I know, several in my family - dislikes having the dumbest, in the class, become teachers.  Half my college team mates shouldn't have been in college - yet they became coach / teachers - Duh.  Don't mean to offend you but stop acting like a PE / Drivers Ed / Head HS Football Coach!

Oh and btw, TP and I have privately discussed this - she knows I support her and every other legit teacher.  Like I said - I live with teachers!  ::)
You didn't click the IQ link did you? Like I said don't let facts and real evidence get in the way of your anecdotal analogies.

Breitontime

What Valley says, is fact. Along with my experiences to back it up. Athletic academic counselors stick many, many kids in education to keep them eligible to play.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Breitontime on June 01, 2014, 05:26:48 pm
What Valley says, is fact. Along with my experiences to back it up. Athletic academic counselors stick many, many kids in education to keep them eligible to play.

So lets just do away with Education majors??....

Seriously, do other schools not reassign teachers for having low test scores or bad in class evaluations? I had one Teacher in particular that was brilliant with her math numbers...but could barely teach simple addition to high schools students. She recently got let go from Hector. But she had been there for 10ish years...it's slow but the system can weed out the bad/"unable to teach" ones if it really wants to...

sevenof400

Quote from: HF on June 01, 2014, 05:48:25 pm

One significant improvement would be exactly that - eliminate the Education major as an undergraduate degree - well, at least in part. 

Require those who want to teach the middle school grades and older to achieve content specific degrees first, then education certification as a graduate degree.  The means to achieve this change are already taking shape - look how many colleges and universities now offer MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) degrees.  Education majors at the undergraduate level spend too much time in education classes and too little time gaining content knowledge.

Teachers who desire to work in the primary grades (K-4) could still pursue education degrees as they are currently constructed.

But, the largest change needed is to drop the idea that all students should be prepared for college.  We have radically devalued vo-tech as a career path so much that it is now seen as a badge of shame for students to pursue this option.  Our society needs welders, auto mechanics, mechanics of many types for that matter and there are solid careers available in those sectors.

Breitontime

So, HF, you're saying that teacher I'll prepared students for 10 years. That is a problem.

Breitontime

Seriously, do other schools not reassign teachers for having low test scores or bad in class evaluations? I had one Teacher in particular that was brilliant with her math numbers...but could barely teach simple addition to high schools students. She recently got let go from Hector. But she had been there for 10ish years...it's slow but the system can weed out the bad/"unable to teach" ones if it really wants to...
It's simple to teach specifically for a test, and not really teach a subject. Which is why so incredibly many kids are totally unprepared for college today. They are taught to do well on standardized tests. The teacher looks good, the students look good, but they are ill prepared.

sevenof400

Quote from: Breitontime on June 01, 2014, 06:40:44 pmIt's simple to teach specifically for a test, and not really teach a subject. Which is why so incredibly many kids are totally unprepared for college today. They are taught to do well on standardized tests. The teacher looks good, the students look good, but they are ill prepared.

As with many changes as of late, look what is happening to classroom instruction.  CI is not moving toward teaching to the test, it has arrived at and zoomed past that expectation. Teaching to the test is all a teacher dare do these days...  Administration talks a good game (about teachers making their classes interesting and appealing) but only looks at test scores when the year is done.

Texarkana_Piggie

one of the absolute worst college professors i ever had was during my master's work.  he had advanced degrees in math but nothing in education.  he was a brilliant mathematician but a horrendous teacher.  he had no idea how to get across what he was supposed to be teaching us. 

Breitontime

June 01, 2014, 07:58:26 pm #141 Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:15:59 pm by Breitontime
My college algebra teacher was that way. Auditorium of around 250-300 students. She would write a problem out, solve it, move on. No explanation of how to solve it.

Surprisingly though, I use geometry and trigonometry just about every day. Never thought I'd be one to use much math after school.

Valleysports

Quote from: Breitontime on June 01, 2014, 07:58:26 pm
My college algebra teacher was that way. Auditorium of around 250-300 students. She would write a problem out, solve it, move on. No explanation of how to solve it.

Surprisingly though, I use geometry and trigonometry just about every day. Never thought I'd be one to use much math after school.

College Professors are the worst - I had a Chem Teacher exactly like that - he was also an outcast in society.  My son tells me students go on-line, rate, comment, evaluate, teachers now - at UCA.  This sounds like a pretty good thing - if it's valued by the school & students. 

The biggest problems in raising the standards for becoming a teacher is - Supply & Demand

phdefense

No what you and Valley says is anecdotal.

an·ec·do·tal
ˌanikˈdōtl/
adjective
adjective: anecdotal

(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.
    "while there was much anecdotal evidence there was little hard fact"
        characterized by or fond of telling anecdotes.
        "her book is anecdotal and chatty"
        (of a painting) depicting small narrative incidents.
        "nineteenth-century French anecdotal paintings"

phdefense

June 01, 2014, 09:08:26 pm #144 Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:28:29 pm by phdefense
Quote from: Valleysports on June 01, 2014, 08:44:08 pm

College Professors are the worst - I had a Chem Teacher exactly like that - he was also an outcast in society.  My son tells me students go on-line, rate, comment, evaluate, teachers now - at UCA.  This sounds like a pretty good thing - if it's valued by the school & students. 

The biggest problems in raising the standards for becoming a teacher is - Supply & Demand
Once again Valley click here>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/occupations.aspx<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<;

Look where college professors and other educators end up. Your are also craw fishing and now supporting my earlier statement that " The highest level of cognitive understanding is being able to teach someone else what you know.

Quote from: Albert EinsteinIf you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alberteins383803.html#4USeVzysSFrXwlfE.99

ricepig

Quote from: phdefense on June 01, 2014, 09:08:26 pm

Once again Valley click here>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/occupations.aspx<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<;

Look where college professors and other educators end up. Your are also craw fishing and now supporting my earlier statement that " The highest level of cognitive understanding is being able to teach someone else what you know.

IQ isn't the only measure of intelligence.

phdefense

June 01, 2014, 09:29:15 pm #146 Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:33:24 pm by phdefense
Quote from: ricepig on June 01, 2014, 09:27:58 pm

Do tell. This should be interesting.  ::) Just to make it clear we are talking about intelligence. Not knowledge, logic, understanding nor reason. Just intelligence.

True Fan

You know, the vast majority of the athletes that are steered toward education don't stay there, graduate, and earn a teaching license. It's one thing to be a declared major. Its something else to actually enter the field.

Sure, some do. But, it would be interesting to see the stats on that.

ricepig

Quote from: phdefense on June 01, 2014, 09:29:15 pm
Quote from: ricepig on June 01, 2014, 09:27:58 pm

Do tell. This should be interesting.  ::) Just to make it clear we are talking about intelligence. Not knowledge, logic, understanding nor reason. Just intelligence.

Is that all it takes to be successful in the jobs listed in your chart?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Breitontime on June 01, 2014, 06:14:30 pm
So, HF, you're saying that teacher I'll prepared students for 10 years. That is a problem.

True...but the system did fix itself. It took her giving the Superintendants son a near failing grade to put the final nail in it...But it happened.

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 01, 2014, 06:04:45 pm

One significant improvement would be exactly that - eliminate the Education major as an undergraduate degree - well, at least in part. 

Require those who want to teach the middle school grades and older to achieve content specific degrees first, then education certification as a graduate degree.  The means to achieve this change are already taking shape - look how many colleges and universities now offer MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) degrees.  Education majors at the undergraduate level spend too much time in education classes and too little time gaining content knowledge.

Teachers who desire to work in the primary grades (K-4) could still pursue education degrees as they are currently constructed.

But, the largest change needed is to drop the idea that all students should be prepared for college.  We have radically devalued vo-tech as a career path so much that it is now seen as a badge of shame for students to pursue this option.  Our society needs welders, auto mechanics, mechanics of many types for that matter and there are solid careers available in those sectors.

I agree with the vo-tech stuff. I know guys that took that career path, and  had decent paying jobs right out of high school because of the certificate they received from the classes. Specifically drafting. ...At Hector the vo-tech was also viewed as a way to get out of regular school for half a day as well. Don't know about it these days..

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 01, 2014, 07:24:02 pm
Quote from: Breitontime on June 01, 2014, 06:40:44 pmIt's simple to teach specifically for a test, and not really teach a subject. Which is why so incredibly many kids are totally unprepared for college today. They are taught to do well on standardized tests. The teacher looks good, the students look good, but they are ill prepared.

As with many changes as of late, look what is happening to classroom instruction.  CI is not moving toward teaching to the test, it has arrived at and zoomed past that expectation. Teaching to the test is all a teacher dare do these days...  Administration talks a good game (about teachers making their classes interesting and appealing) but only looks at test scores when the year is done.

Cause all we need to be able to do in life is regurgitate information that we're not sure what it means, but we know it's the right answer...right?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas