• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I need a Windows 7 Techy

Started by BillyJack™, December 12, 2013, 10:59:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyJack™

I have a 5 year old Dell Studio XPS with Windows 7 Home Premium. 2 weeks ago I had a catastrophic failure and ended up formatting the drive, reinstalling Windows and then all the base software I use. Took me the better part of 6 days to reinstall all the updates one at a time just for Windows because multiple updates all at once is what crashed my system to start with. Then another two days to reinstall my base software. Now I have a completely clean, updated system that runs perfectly. Here's where I need input. I have never used an image backup and have a few questions:

1) Do I need a dedicated drive to put the Image on?

2) If I have a hard drive failure and need to replace the drive, will the Image bring my machine back to where it is now?

3) Can I use the Image to set up another machine and if so, do the machines have to be identical hardware wise?

birdman1981

sevenof400

BillyJack,

With all the graphic stuff you do, why don't you use a Mac? 

BillyJack™

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 22, 2013, 08:08:29 pm
BillyJack,

With all the graphic stuff you do, why don't you use a Mac? 
Use to IBM and the cost of completely changing over makes no sense to me. 90% of my software (some very costly) is for the IBM clones and if I'm going to have to run Windows on the Mac anyway, why switch?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas