• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

End of an era Blockbuster closing down.

Started by Lions84, November 07, 2013, 01:06:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lions84

Lions84

Quote from: Lions84 on November 07, 2013, 01:06:14 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/tech/gaming-gadgets/blockbuster-video-stores-impact/

I remember when I got my first rental card for my home town mom and pop store and when I got my Blockbuster card in College.  Boy Times have changed.

Kazimierz

Yep, but the model doesn't work anymore.

Do you remember $4.99 new rentals. Their model has been attacked from both sides.  Redbox hits them with $1.00 new releases and Netflix hits them with TV series and a wide range of movies (new, newish, old, classic) for $7.00 unlimited streaming per month.

Blockbuster just lost out.

Lions84

Quote from: Kazimierz on November 07, 2013, 08:02:36 pm
Yep, but the model doesn't work anymore.

Do you remember $4.99 new rentals. Their model has been attacked from both sides.  Redbox hits them with $1.00 new releases and Netflix hits them with TV series and a wide range of movies (new, newish, old, classic) for $7.00 unlimited streaming per month.

Blockbuster just lost out.

They failed to look ahead to the new technology that was coming out and are now gone because of a critical business error.

AirWarren

Quote from: Lions84 on November 07, 2013, 01:31:30 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/tech/gaming-gadgets/blockbuster-video-stores-impact/

I remember when I got my first rental card for my home town mom and pop store and when I got my Blockbuster card in College.  Boy Times have changed.

Same here. I worked at Premiere Video in warren for a while  in high school in Warren. I remember the old movies were 0.99 cents, newer movies we 2.99 and the new release wall was 3.99 for a two day rental. Video games were 4.99 I believe and the "back room" movies were for sale or 7.99 to rent haha. Now I think that place does most of its business with one half of it being turned into a spa and tan place. Kind of sad because I dreaded working Friday and Saturday nights. You were slammed and the parking lot was full. Now you have net flicks or a long lines for cheap, scratched up redbox movies.

One cool perk was the brand new movies that are released on Tuesdays would arrive on Sundays and I would get to take them home if I wanted to. Good times, good memories.

Lions84

In there hay day I remember them selling Popcorn and ice cold sodas.    The Mom n Pop in Clarendon was inside the White River Cycle Company where they sold Honda 3 wheelers and such.

Breitontime

Blockbuster tried the $1.00 rental kioss a few years ago. Around Clearwater, where there was a RedBox, the was a "BlueBox" at the store right next to it. There would be a line at RedBox, nobody at the Blockbuster one.

Before Netflix was streaming, Blockbuster tried to compete with the "mail you a DVD" service. Apparently that did not work either.

All in all, Redbox is more convenient, as is Netflix.

Redbox just started a streaming service to compete with Netflix recently.

AirWarren

Quote from: Breitontime on November 12, 2013, 11:36:33 am
Blockbuster tried the $1.00 rental kioss a few years ago. Around Clearwater, where there was a RedBox, the was a "BlueBox" at the store right next to it. There would be a line at RedBox, nobody at the Blockbuster one.

Before Netflix was streaming, Blockbuster tried to compete with the "mail you a DVD" service. Apparently that did not work either.

All in all, Redbox is more convenient, as is Netflix.

Redbox just started a streaming service to compete with Netflix recently.

Funny you mention that, I saw a blue box at The Mad Butcher in Warren the other day. Sure it's gone now!

Lions84

Lions84

I do feel for all the folks who thought they had a career with Blockbuster.

Lions84

Breitontime

Last movie ever rented from Blockbuster was "This Is the End."

Well played, whoever you are.

Lions84

Quote from: Breitontime on November 21, 2013, 01:10:35 pm
Last movie ever rented from Blockbuster was "This Is the End."

Well played, whoever you are.

Well done.

Romeo

Quote from: AirWarren on November 11, 2013, 10:26:34 am
Quote from: Lions84 on November 07, 2013, 01:31:30 pm

Same here. I worked at Premiere Video in warren for a while  in high school in Warren. I remember the old movies were 0.99 cents, newer movies we 2.99 and the new release wall was 3.99 for a two day rental. Video games were 4.99 I believe and the "back room" movies were for sale or 7.99 to rent haha. Now I think that place does most of its business with one half of it being turned into a spa and tan place. Kind of sad because I dreaded working Friday and Saturday nights. You were slammed and the parking lot was full. Now you have net flicks or a long lines for cheap, scratched up redbox movies.

One cool perk was the brand new movies that are released on Tuesdays would arrive on Sundays and I would get to take them home if I wanted to. Good times, good memories.

I remember the old Goldeneye game for Nintendo 64 always being rented out and on a waiting list. ha ha, those were they days.

True Believer

I love the fact I can turn on my TV and order what I want right in my own home. 

Lions84

Quote from: True Believer on November 22, 2013, 05:44:21 am
I love the fact I can turn on my TV and order what I want right in my own home. 

Yep no more getting dressed and leaving the house to get a movie just grap the remote and select what you want. 

Breitontime

I'd just assume order a flick on demand for $4-$7 than go to Redbox.

I always forget to take them back. Last visit to the Redbox, I got three movies, we watched them all that night...Ended up being $56.80 by time I got them back.

Lions84

Quote from: Breitontime on November 22, 2013, 10:04:46 am
I'd just assume order a flick on demand for $4-$7 than go to Redbox.

I always forget to take them back. Last visit to the Redbox, I got three movies, we watched them all that night...Ended up being $56.80 by time I got them back.

OUCH!!!

Breitontime

That could have been 4-5 Reserve's on the rocks, but no, RedBox took it.

Lions84

I never used Red box and we attend the movies about 2 times a year during the summer and during Christmas break.  90% of the movies we watch are on TV via the Dish.

Lions84

They are selling everything at my local Blockbuster here in TX.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas