• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Consolidation/Annexation

Started by HorseFeathers, November 05, 2013, 08:41:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Just curious what are the guidelines for the Forced Consolidation? I know dropping below the magic number of 350 puts you on the chopping block, but how do long does a school have to recover before getting teh Axe?

ricepig

Quote from: HF on November 05, 2013, 08:41:55 pm
Just curious what are the guidelines for the Forced Consolidation? I know dropping below the magic number of 350 puts you on the chopping block, but how do long does a school have to recover before getting teh Axe?

Pretty sure the ADG had an article the other day and it was two years??

johnharrison

According to Act 60, it is triggered if below 350 for two consecutive years.

Uncle Ivan

Oughta be at least 750.

If not 1000.

ricepig

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 06, 2013, 02:42:30 pm
Oughta be at least 750.

If not 1000.

I agree, one, maybe two per county.

johnharrison

Start with one district per county.  Then sub divide when that is not enough.

It's not that you can't have 2 or 3 high schools in the district, just that every HS doesn't have to be its own district.

Lions84

Quote from: johnharrison on November 06, 2013, 06:16:24 pm
Start with one district per county.  Then sub divide when that is not enough.

It's not that you can't have 2 or 3 high schools in the district, just that every HS doesn't have to be its own district.

I would support that Johnny but it has played out most places where they go to the geographic center of the county and buid a new HS and bus everyone there.   I wish would could have kept Holly Grove open cause it would have made tons of folks more happy then going on the 2-3 hour bus rides they have to do now to come to Clarendon.  Some folks in far South end of the county have transfered to Dewitt for a shorter drive.

johnharrison

My business associated graduated from Holly Grove and wrote every legislator supporting consolidation.

He said that if they'd closed Clarendon and Holly Grove 40 years ago and bussed them all to Brinkly they would have kicked Central's butt.

OlGuyWicker

Sure.  Let us just put kids on a bus for 2 hours one way. 

Lions84

It is easy to support this idea until it is your kid getting up and catching the bus at 6am in the morning and is getting home at 5:30 in the afternoon.

johnharrison

Well many superintendents manage fewer students and employees that the principals of larger schools.

And there is nothing to require that community schools be closed (unless their enrollment drop) in favor a one large school.

Unfortunately sometimes the cost of duplicating services is so high that some says, "Gosh this is a waste of taxpayer money".

If the Holly Grove taxpayers, all 6 of them, had said let's raise our taxes so we can have a community school it would have happened.

Lions84

Quote from: johnharrison on November 11, 2013, 10:30:44 am
Well many superintendents manage fewer students and employees that the principals of larger schools.

And there is nothing to require that community schools be closed (unless their enrollment drop) in favor a one large school.

Unfortunately sometimes the cost of duplicating services is so high that some says, "Gosh this is a waste of taxpayer money".

If the Holly Grove taxpayers, all 6 of them, had said let's raise our taxes so we can have a community school it would have happened.

Holly Grove had plenty of money but not 350 students. 

johnharrison

and even though they had dedicated staff who worked their tails off unfortunately, according to my associate, they were not able to consistently have graduates prepared of rigourous universities.

It's a shame, but few small schools have the resources

Lions84

Quote from: johnharrison on November 11, 2013, 04:25:00 pm
and even though they had dedicated staff who worked their tails off unfortunately, according to my associate, they were not able to consistently have graduates prepared of rigourous universities.

They had more than we had in 84 and we sent 50% of our SR Class to College !

johnharrison

Quote from: Lions84 on November 13, 2013, 01:51:05 pm

Not sure of your point.  He graduated in the sixties.  He attended a selective college (one which doesn't offer remediation)  His math background was weak enough that after he realized that he was going to fail calculus, he dropped it and took basics at another college and took it again his Jr. year. His English teacher met with him weekly for 2 years although he only took one semester of college English.

Maybe he just didn't apply himself in high school, but did graduate in the top 5.

A graduate from an Arkansas high school should not need remediation.

Lions84

Other than Math which 1 I HATE and 2 I was not and still not good at Math was the only hardship I had in HS and College and I still managed to keep the grades at or above C level. 
Another 1/3 of my class made a career out of the Military, So we are very proud of the class of 1984. The Kids today need a major dose of Hard Work and Teachers who tell them like we were told It doesn't matter what you got or how poor your are EDUCATION is the Greatest EQUALIZER! And that we could leave and do anything we set our minds too.

Lions84

Quote from: johnharrison on November 13, 2013, 02:07:42 pm

Not sure of your point.  He graduated in the sixties.  He attended a selective college (one which doesn't offer remediation)  His math background was weak enough that after he realized that he was going to fail calculus, he dropped it and took basics at another college and took it again his Jr. year. His English teacher met with him weekly for 2 years although he only took one semester of college English.

Maybe he just didn't apply himself in high school, but did graduate in the top 5.

Holly Grove was still segregated when he attended and back then.

johnharrison

Quote from: Lions84 on January 07, 2014, 11:24:07 am

late 60s?

HorseFeathers

really bored this morning...so just looking at the numbers for this year...

And 3 schools go on the chopping block this year...and 1 of those schools is looking at forced consolidation if they don't make a decision soon...

Kirby--346--It's their first year under 350...steadily declined over the last 5 years from 435...
Stephens--314--this is actually their 3rd year under 350...So I'm thinking the state it probably about to force them to do something...I think Nevada Co, who they contacted last year about consolidation would be a good option...since Nevada co is near the 350 line as well...
Hartford--325---first year, but the second time in 4 years they've dropped under 350....They flirted with mansfield as an option the last time they were in trouble...

Lions84

Quote from: johnharrison on January 19, 2014, 09:42:15 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on January 07, 2014, 11:24:07 am

late 60s?

Yes Holly Grove intergated when I started the Fall of 1972.  We moved and found out we were in the Clarendon District and I went 5-12 at CHS.

Hoghead

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 06, 2013, 02:42:30 pm
Oughta be at least 750.

If not 1000.

Oh no, the good people at Spring Hill don't want those numbers !!!!

Missco

Its all crazy...A number doesn't fix all situations...The whole educational system in this county is broken.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Missco on February 09, 2014, 01:33:46 pm
Its all crazy...A number doesn't fix all situations...The whole educational system in this county is broken.

Probably messes things up worse in some situations...Look at PCCSD...lol

Uncle Ivan

Lions84

Quote from: HF on February 09, 2014, 02:36:11 pm
Quote from: Missco on February 09, 2014, 01:33:46 pm

Probably messes things up worse in some situations...Look at PCCSD...lol

Thank Judge Henry Wood!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas