• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To all the Whatta-Burger detractors

Started by phdefense, July 05, 2013, 04:35:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

phdefense

Take THIS!!!!!!

These are the 33 best burgers in the entire country.
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/these-are-the-33-best-burgers-in-the-entire-country

Feltner's Whatta-Burger, Russellville, AR
What you're getting: "Double Whatta-Burger w/ cheese"
QuoteIgnore the fact that if you get a full order of fries you can pretty much stand in the bag. Or that their jumbo-sized Coke with shaved ice could fill an above-ground swimming pool. Or that their name sounds very much like a Texas chain of burger spots I used to eat at in elementary school after baseball practice. But don't ignore the double Whatta and its unique structure, which includes putting the cheese on the bottom of the burger and using Miracle Whip in lieu of mayo. Oh, and also, they've got fried peach pies. Get one, if you're not drowning in soda and fries.

Sorry all you misguided people. No mention of CJ's

sevenof400

Good God - some of those monstrosities need to actually hit the grill for a few minutes.  Redder is NOT better! 

In all seriousness, or at least as much as we can with this thread, the one problem I have with Feltner's is that their burgers do NOT taste like Whattaburgers.  A very different tasting burger - possibly Feltner's has a different supplier of beef??? 

At any rate, both Feltner's and Whattaburgers are must stop destinations in my book and while I like Whattaburger's a bit more, I'll never turn down a stop at Feltner's.....

sevenof400

...and by the way, when you're done with the main course, did you see this just below on the same page?

AirWarren

Whataburger........not the imposter in Russellville....has burgers that are the REAL DEAL.

phdefense

Quote from: AirWarren on July 05, 2013, 06:08:15 pm
Whataburger........not the imposter in Russellville....has burgers that are the REAL DEAL.
-1 "The" Whatta-burger in Russellville was open before the Texicans opened theirs.

AirWarren

phdefense

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2013, 04:51:42 pm
In all seriousness, or at least as much as we can with this thread, the one problem I have with Feltner's is that their burgers do NOT taste like Whattaburgers.  A very different tasting burger - possibly Feltner's has a different supplier of beef??? 
Same name, but no affiliation. Feltner's in Russellville was in business long before other.

phdefense

Quote from: AirWarren on July 05, 2013, 06:16:28 pm
It's still second rate.
You need to move back to Warren and stop sniffing the Bauxite it is hindering your perception.

AirWarren

Quote from: phdefense on July 05, 2013, 06:19:20 pm
It's still second rate.
You need to move back to Warren and stop sniffing the Bauxite it is hindering your perception.
It's still second rate.
It's still second rate.

Trust me. I'd move out of saline county faster than you could imagine if I could.

Breitontime

It doesn't hold a candle to CJ's. That, coming from a Russellville native.

I keep giving Whatta Burger chances, and it continues to disappoint. Haven't had a burger better than McDonald's serves in years.

Valleysports

July 05, 2013, 06:32:23 pm #10 Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:54:42 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: phdefense on July 05, 2013, 04:35:37 pm
Take THIS!!!!!!

These are the 33 best burgers in the entire country.
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/these-are-the-33-best-burgers-in-the-entire-country

Feltner's Whatta-Burger, Russellville, AR
What you're getting: "Double Whatta-Burger w/ cheese"
QuoteIgnore the fact that if you get a full order of fries you can pretty much stand in the bag. Or that their jumbo-sized Coke with shaved ice could fill an above-ground swimming pool. Or that their name sounds very much like a Texas chain of burger spots I used to eat at in elementary school after baseball practice. But don't ignore the double Whatta and its unique structure, which includes putting the cheese on the bottom of the burger and using Miracle Whip in lieu of mayo. Oh, and also, they've got fried peach pies. Get one, if you're not drowning in soda and fries.

Sorry all you misguided people. No mention of CJ's

Like JTTB I'm an expert on this subject, perhaps the best qualified by far.  Growing up in E Texas, when Whattaburger opened, my family loved to spend every friday night there.  I remember our family, 4 of us, eating a full meal for under $5.  It was my favorite burger joint in all the world.  I grew up and went to Tech.  Spent 5 yrs living in Feltners Whatta-Burger, trying to gain weight for football.  It became my favorite joint in all the world. 

phdefense, when was the last time you ate there?  I don't know when this article was written, but either it's a decade old or someone is going off memory.  The kids don't run it the same as Mr Feltner.  No more do you get a grocery sack of fries as the article spoke of.  Man those were the days!  It was hard to finish off a small order of fries by themself.  I go by there and get a Chocolate Malt sometimes, just to reminisce, but it's just not the same management.  This makes me very sad!  :'(   If CJ's can get quality meat and make such a great tasting burger, I don't understand why Feltners can't or why they cut down to 10 fries in a mini sack.  Come up here and we'll split a burger / fries, at both joints, have a good time.

Breitontime

Sadly, the burgers are nothing better than McDonald's any more.

When I was a kid, we used to drive 25 miles on the weekends to eat there. It was delicious back then.

phdefense

July 05, 2013, 06:52:48 pm #12 Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:54:42 pm by phdefense
Quote from: Breitontime on July 05, 2013, 06:49:37 pm
Sadly, the burgers are nothing better than McDonald's any more.

When I was a kid, we used to drive 25 miles on the weekends to eat there. It was delicious back then.
Comparing them to Sonic would make you more credible. I have often thought that Feltner's was just a really good Sonic burger. There are no similarities in the taste of a McDonald's burger and Feltner's. At least you are consistent. You like to exaggerate about every thing it would seem.

Valleysports

He's not really exaggerating phdefense - when are you coming to Russellville?  I'm serious about that offer, love talking about the old days.  Feltners are great people - great Community Supporters.  I've picked up many a tray of premade burger patties for fundraisers.  I stopped in Whatta-Burger parking lot, monday, and took a picture of Bryant Hall being demolished across the street. 

Breitontime

No need to get all whiny.

I didn't say it tasted anything like a burger from McDonalds. I compared the quality. Sadly, they are very similar.

Most locals (that aren't pushing senior citizenship) will tell you the same. CJ's is in a different league.

Valleysports

Eat
These are the 33 best burgers in the entire country, By Kevin Alexander
We're going to cut right to the chase: according to our team of local editors all over the country, these are the best burgers in the USA.

Wonder whom his local editor is in Russellville?  How I can get a hold of Kevin Alexander?

Breitontime

Someone or another at the Courier.

That recommendation was given based on former reputation.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Breitontime on July 05, 2013, 06:28:41 pm
It doesn't hold a candle to CJ's. That, coming from a Russellville native.

I keep giving Whatta Burger chances, and it continues to disappoint. Haven't had a burger better than McDonald's serves in years.

Being a Pope County Native...I don't eat at either place. Parents never really ate at Whattaburger either(Don't know why), but I grew up hearing about the great whattaburger, and the reputation/legend is much greater than the burger, in my opinion.

CJ's Butcher Boy must either really suck during the week, or is greatly hyped as well. The original store(now closed) on 7T close to the high school was pretty good. But the 3 or 4 times I ate at CJ's butcher boy, the burger was burnt and the fries weren't much better....

Now...I might have to give up Beef Burgers after the smoked Deer Burgers my dad made for the Fourth...Dunno what he did to them, but I will be finding out.

Breitontime

Come to think of it, HF, I haven't had CJ's in a while.

I'm a fan of their tenderloin burgers, though.

At least, unlike Whatta Burger, they don't use frozen patties.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Breitontime on July 05, 2013, 08:13:28 pm
Come to think of it, HF, I haven't had CJ's in a while.

I'm a fan of their tenderloin burgers, though.

At least, unlike Whatta Burger, they don't use frozen patties.

True, I do give them that. Might give them another try since Everyone insists they are so good...

Valleysports

July 05, 2013, 10:04:46 pm #20 Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:04:17 am by Valleysports
It's hard to believe, but not everyone has the same taste.  Some people don't like the highest quality of meat on a hamburger.  I've gone into CJ's and ordered just the burger (dieting) cooked like a steak.  I like the fries (cut like homemade), but some people think they're greasy.  I even appreciate the 50's, Happy Day's, atmosphere.  I have a feeling that someone who doesn't like CJ's would probably not like many of the other 33 on this list.  8)

Breitontime

Ha! I'm not the only one that thinks of Happy Days when I go there.

Loved that show.

Cabotfan

Burgers, fries... 

It's worth a trip to R'ville just for a milkshake!!!

Busman

Both of the Whattaburgers - the one in R'ville and the Big Orange "W" ones in Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida are must stops for me. In fact, as soon as we cross the state or county line on a long trip, my wife says "Go ahead and stop at the first one so we don't have to hear you whine about it the whole trip." CJ's, and it's little brother David's, are good in their own right. Most memorable trip - cruising the back waters of Fort Walton Beach chasing dolphins in a party barge, and tying up to the dock, crossing U.S. 98 before you get to the bridge to Santa Rosa Island.   Actually didn't miss seafood for dinner that night.

DogsWin7

My heart loves and will always love whatta burger but I must say Valley was absolutely correct on CJ's making a great burger!

Valleysports

Whatta-Burger still makes great Malts. Chocalate Malts! Wonder if there are carbs in that, I'm not trying to gain weight for football anymore. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Busman on July 08, 2013, 02:30:57 pm
Both of the Whattaburgers - the one in R'ville and the Big Orange "W" ones in Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida are must stops for me. In fact, as soon as we cross the state or county line on a long trip, my wife says "Go ahead and stop at the first one so we don't have to hear you whine about it the whole trip." CJ's, and it's little brother David's, are good in their own right. Most memorable trip - cruising the back waters of Fort Walton Beach chasing dolphins in a party barge, and tying up to the dock, crossing U.S. 98 before you get to the bridge to Santa Rosa Island.   Actually didn't miss seafood for dinner that night.

The big orange W Whattaburgers are the real deal.

cuckoobird

I ate at whataburger all the time while living on OK and their burgers were pretty darn good for the price. I kinda miss it

Don Quixote

Feltner's used to be the best burger in town.  As soon as the kids took over the place it has gone down hill in a hurry.  They aren't even close to the fast food places in Russ Vegas.

CJ's on the other hand is very good.  As is David's in Coway.  If you want a great burger off of 40, CJ's is the way to go.

Valleysports

Is David's good DQ?  I've heard it's not as good as CJ's, but I obviously what one hears ain't worth much.  And I think it's owned by the same person?  Oh I had a report of a burger, in Conway, that was supposed to the bomb!  Friend of mine is nuts over the place.  Trying to remember.  North side of I-40, the road slants off down towards softball fields. 

Ridge Rat

Valleysports

Ha ha - YES!  He just text me back.  What about it?

Breitontime

Wimpy's is dang good.

David's is good as well. I've talked with the guy who owns David's/CJ's. Before he opened David's, he had his staff shaddow CJ's to learn how the cooked, etc.

ricepig

Quote from: Ridge Rat on July 09, 2013, 03:07:05 pm
Wimpy's?

Not that great here in Jonesboro, it's just average. The best burgers are downtown at Godsey's and Skinny J's, but they're more specialty burgers. Five Guys is a little above Wimpy's, but kind of high, I like Feltner's in Fayetteville for a quick regular burger.

Valleysports

Quote from: Breitontime on July 09, 2013, 03:35:48 pm
Wimpy's is dang good.

David's is good as well. I've talked with the guy who owns David's/CJ's. Before he opened David's, he had his staff shaddow CJ's to learn how the cooked, etc.

LOL - I've had a motorcycle conversation or two with him myself.

Breitontime

Mighty good looking Softail he rolls around on.

cuckoobird

Bre i dont think its proper for you to describe another mans rear end on here

Breitontime

Lol, it's a motorcycle, just to clarify.

Don Quixote

Quote from: Valleysports on July 09, 2013, 03:04:22 pm
Is David's good DQ?  I've heard it's not as good as CJ's, but I obviously what one hears ain't worth much.  And I think it's owned by the same person?  Oh I had a report of a burger, in Conway, that was supposed to the bomb!  Friend of mine is nuts over the place.  Trying to remember.  North side of I-40, the road slants off down towards softball fields.

It is very good.  The service at David's is much better than CJ's.  The few time that I have been to David's the owner was walking around filling everyone up with extra fries.  There is not a huge difference in the burgers.  You really can't go wrong with either place.

Valleysports

Well I'm going to find out about David's for myself then.  Maybe I just need to do my own Arkansas Burger Report.  :D   

CJ's has some advantages that are helping it to become famous - location being the biggest.  Intersection of I-40 / Hwy Scenic 7.  Motorcycle clubs consistently plan to meet or end a ride at CJ's (discussed on motorcycle forums) when cruising Hwy 7 to/from Jasper.  The Ozarks have become a destination for Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas motorcycle enthusiast.  From CJ's you can take off on I-40 East or West, or Hwy 7 South.   

Busman

But, when in Little Rock, you can do no better than Buffalo Bar and Grill, either location.

Valleysports

So do we need to make an "Arkansas Best Burger Joints" list on FF?  Need to know these things when traveling to sporting events.  Have it on one of those Google Maps with the red dots on the locations.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on July 10, 2013, 02:23:00 pm
So do we need to make an "Arkansas Best Burger Joints" list on FF?  Need to know these things when traveling to sporting events.  Have it on one of those Google Maps with the red dots on the locations.

Not so sure it would work, somebody from Greenwood would proclaim their's the best andlock the thread if challenged.

1-Adam-12

July 22, 2013, 10:22:18 pm #43 Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:25:52 pm by 1-Adam-12
You had to bring up GW huh?  ;)

Seriously, the old drive-in there (LJ's, I think it was) made a terrific burger.  Great shakes too.  Hated to see that place go.

But the best shake I've had in a long time came from the Bulldog Drive In in Bald Knob. Wow.

cuckoobird

I have been to the davids burgers in conway and forgot until i was passing through this weekend and saw a sign advertising. They are pretty bland and the fries sucked. It was kinda neat you could pick out your own meat but the burger itself was terrible.

Breitontime

I think they are trying to expand too fast, rather than spend some time focusing on a new location for a while like they did with CJ's.

ricepig

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on July 22, 2013, 10:22:18 pm
You had to bring up GW huh?  ;)

Seriously, the old drive-in there (LJ's, I think it was) made a terrific burger.  Great shakes too.  Hated to see that place go.

But the best shake I've had in a long time came from the Bulldog Drive In in Bald Knob. Wow.

Yep, it's a must stop, their strawberries and shortcake are the best ever.

True Believer

I like Presley's Drive Inn, Gina's and Fat City burgers in Jonesboro.

ricepig

July 30, 2013, 10:44:36 pm #48 Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:48:03 pm by ricepig
Quote from: True Believer on July 30, 2013, 08:10:28 pm
I like Presley's Drive Inn, Gina's and Fat City burgers in Jonesboro.

Presley's was better before they sold, where's Gina's?

Never mind, that was Ann's forever. I think Gina was her daughter??

Valleysports

This thread is about the 33 best burgers in the United States of America.   ::)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas