• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A few pictures with the new camera.

Started by DB, December 26, 2009, 11:53:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DB

I got out and walked around at the inlaws' yesterday and snapped a few pics.  This is what I got.

DB

DB

December 26, 2009, 11:58:44 pm #2 Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 12:10:11 am by DB

shah_guido_g

YOOHOO!! DB has a new camera!!

Congratulations! You're going to have a great time with it.

Pay attention to johnharrison's advice on the image editting. A little editting can go a long way to improve an image.

Keep posting images. And have fun.

onegearruss

DB

Quote from: onegearruss on January 23, 2010, 07:11:58 am
What camera did you get ?

I got a Nikon 3000 with two lenses. The two lenses are a Nikor18-55 1:3-5.6 G with VR and a Nikor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 ED with VR. 

You know, when you are using the p&s cameras, you don't really have a very high bar set for yourself.  But the more that I use this one, the more I look for better shots and errors in photos.  I've started playing around with Photo Shop.  I took a few shots of my little girl yesterday in our dining room.  One of the things that I noticed that I would not have in the past is the glare/reflection from the flash on the wall.  It is so large that it really detracts from a decent picture.  And as far as I can tell, the only way to get rid of it is to crop the picture so that it is not there.  The problem with that is there is a plant in these pics that I wanted in the shots and has to be cropped out with the glare. 

Is this problem taken care of with the add on flash deals?

BillyJack™

You want the best advice on Photography and Photoshop, visit the Photoshop Cafe and talk with Colin. He's master of digital and PS.

johnharrison

If you can't fix it in photshop, it is to broke to fix!

If you have $25 and time, check out Lynda.com.  They have video tutorials on every major photographic program.

Each "course" can vary from 2 to 12 hours, broken up into 4 to 10 minute topics.

This weekend, I changed the color of the mat in photos of a wrestling tourney and removed the bright window that was behind the wrestlers.  I also took a photo of the coach and made him WAAAY fat!

onegearruss

Quote from: DB on January 25, 2010, 08:25:30 am

I got a Nikon 3000 with two lenses. The two lenses are a Nikor18-55 1:3-5.6 G with VR and a Nikor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 ED with VR. 

You know, when you are using the p&s cameras, you don't really have a very high bar set for yourself.  But the more that I use this one, the more I look for better shots and errors in photos.  I've started playing around with Photo Shop.  I took a few shots of my little girl yesterday in our dining room.  One of the things that I noticed that I would not have in the past is the glare/reflection from the flash on the wall.  It is so large that it really detracts from a decent picture.  And as far as I can tell, the only way to get rid of it is to crop the picture so that it is not there.  The problem with that is there is a plant in these pics that I wanted in the shots and has to be cropped out with the glare. 

The healing brush and clone tool work wonders if done correctly. You might look into those with the glare. Also you can turn down your flash in your camera menu, that would make the glare smaller (if your picture is still bright enough.)

DB

To be precise, I have the version of Photo Shop that comes with Windows Vista, Photo Shop Elements 6.0.  It still does some pretty cool stuff but I am sure that it is way short of the full version.  I actually got on Ebay today and shopped the full version.  PScs2 sells for like $125.00.  Should I buy it or just keep working with Elements?

BillyJack™

Personally, I'd stick with Elements till you come up with a full version of PhotoShop CS3 or higher. The older versions of PhotoShop would be better than Elements, but finding tutorials on them might be difficult. Not only that, Photographers/Photoshoppers are kind of an arrogant bunch and if you're not up with them and buying the newest latest software, you're beneath them.

There's a Factory sealed CS3 Extended with 11 hrs left on the auction rigth know with hid bid $61. 32 sales by seller with 100% positive feedback.

Check your PMs for link.

Earl is my Hero!!

Were you using the built in flash?

An external flash with a diffuser will help. I have a Nikon D300, and I purchased an external flash with an additional diffuser kit. It really softens the light helps minimize shadows. Also, you can direct the light, bounce it off of the ceiling, floor, wall, etc.

Still playing with it. In fact, just starting toying with the ability to activate the flash remotely - while it is not attached to the boot on the camera.

Definitely still an ultra novice...

onegearruss

Try bouncing your flash off the ceiling. If you are using the built in flash, just ignore that comment.

DB

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: DB on February 24, 2010, 01:53:00 pm
It was the built in flash. 

Consider buying an external flash. I think I got the Nikon 600 flash unit.

DB

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: DB on February 25, 2010, 10:25:56 am
Momma says no more toys for a while.

Do what they do:

1) buy it, and leave in the closet for a month or two, then take it out and use it. When she says something, say it's been hanging in the closet for a long time
2) Buy it on sale! "Honey, it was on SALE! Look how much money I saved..."
3) Use the "I bought this with my money, I didn't use our money..."

Just a few suggestions...

DB

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on February 25, 2010, 09:46:07 pm
Quote from: DB on February 25, 2010, 10:25:56 am
Momma says no more toys for a while.

Do what they do:

1) buy it, and leave in the closet for a month or two, then take it out and use it. When she says something, say it's been hanging in the closet for a long time
2) Buy it on sale! "Honey, it was on SALE! Look how much money I saved..."
3) Use the "I bought this with my money, I didn't use our money..."

Just a few suggestions...

You're the devil aren't you?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas