• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog Football 2014

Started by True Fan, November 30, 2013, 03:43:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mack

Quote from: ricepig on May 02, 2014, 08:15:02 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on May 02, 2014, 08:06:47 pm
Y'all playing dumb about A&M - got me started.  Discussing Football now - 6'3", 210 Junior?  So he's the real deal?  HF, we need to go watch Charleston this year.

Dumb? Mack and I just have a different opinion then you do. We've watched them for 40 years constantly under achieve, the proof will come in the next three years if they really are for real.

As far as Storey being the real deal, well, he has a lot of big time offers. I'd be concerned with his competition, as I am with the competition Peavey played against in MO. I think they both have the talent, they just will need time to adjust to big time college playing.

I'm fond of Valley.  He's a pretty good guy actually.  I'm just saying, there's more than one reason Aggie jokes exist....... football is just one.

We'll see........

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: mack on May 04, 2014, 05:58:13 pm
I'm just saying, there's more than one reason Aggie jokes exist.......

Aggy is Rock Stupid.

Valleysports

Quote from: bleudog on May 04, 2014, 01:53:12 pmVal, don't write the 3A kid off on the small school thing alone..

Oh I'm not writing him off at all - HF & I are going to watch him first chance.  Lot of famous players from little schools.  Thing is - I'm a player watcher.  If I find a player, that I think is special, I'll start pulling for his team.  If you look back on my post - I do not put HS & college players down - it took me until my senior year of college to really develop.  I'd just love to see a small town Story, in the making!   :)

Big Fan

Quote from: Valleysports on May 04, 2014, 07:31:04 pm
Thing is - I'm a player watcher.  If I find a player, that I think is special, I'll start pulling for his team.
i.e. bandwagon jumper.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Big Fan on May 04, 2014, 07:36:14 pm
Thing is - I'm a player watcher.  If I find a player, that I think is special, I'll start pulling for his team.
i.e. bandwagon jumper.

Valley posts about Russellville on the high school sports threads....I can't exactly blame him for jumping on other teams bandwagons haha..

Valleysports

May 04, 2014, 09:54:10 pm #205 Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:57:26 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: HF on May 04, 2014, 08:35:08 pm
Quote from: Big Fan on May 04, 2014, 07:36:14 pm
i.e. bandwagon jumper.

Valley posts about Russellville on the high school sports threads....I can't exactly blame him for jumping on other teams bandwagons haha..

LOL yeah - I will tear into a certain coach.   ::)  No Big Fan, just about every time, the team I start pulling for is one of the worst.  I started pulling for Buffalo Bills in 1986, when Jim Kelly stopped piddling around in the USFL and joined Bruce Smith.  Then came Thurman Thomas.  After they lost the Super Bowl 4 times in a row - I'd had enough. People around me, can tell you I started getting excited (appreciating the potential) over the Sea Chickens 4 yrs ago - pretty much right on target.  Best Super Bowl ever.  I'll be behind them until that Defense is broken up.  I root against Denver, because I didn't like Elway's style - sucked for years.  Of course I loved the Tyler Lions, UT, & Houston, New Orleans, following my #1 Hero in Football.  I sure hope Johnny Football gets on the right team, cause I'll be pulling for him to prove all the Haters wrong.  Typically I'm pulling for a team or player, when they are on the bottom, but I see the potential.  Hey I pulled for Mustang, at USC, cause of y'all hatin on him.  You Drama Queens don't need to judge anyone! LOL

A&M is one of those teams - I'll be pulling for them this year, just because they are young underdogs who will have to develop over the next couple of years.  I'll be neutral when they play Arkansas  :D I'd like to see the Collins kid have a great college career.  I can explain, A&M's Perfect Storm, if y'all need me too!  ;D 

ricepig

Doesn't aTm have 9 starters back on defense?

Valleysports

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2014, 10:36:16 pm

Seven Starters - 1 Jr who started all 2013 games as a Soph, 4 who started last 9 games, 3 who started last 6 games.  2 of those were freshmen, 2 were sophomores.  A couple more who started the last game.  Expect several more freshman starters by mid year, same in 2015.  Red shirts and transfers (had to sit 1 yr).  Defense might be clicking, later in the season, Bama, LSU, Auburn.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 05, 2014, 12:58:57 am
Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2014, 10:36:16 pm

Seven Starters - 1 Jr who started all 2013 games as a Soph, 4 who started last 9 games, 3 who started last 6 games.  2 of those were freshmen, 2 were sophomores.  A couple more who started the last game.  Expect several more freshman starters by mid year, same in 2015.  Red shirts and transfers (had to sit 1 yr).  Defense might be clicking, later in the season, Bama, LSU, Auburn.

This says 9  returning.

http://www.collegefootballuniverseblog.com/1/post/2014/02/college-football-returning-starters-2014.html

Valleysports

Why did you ask, if you already had your answer?  Like I said - two freshman started 1 game - Cotton Bowl.  When I think of Starters, from the year before, players who only start one game, have an Asterik beside the name for me.  Are you fixing to go into one of your famous Technical Analysis over what a Starter is?  Anyway, were you making a point?

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 05, 2014, 10:35:11 am
Why did you ask, if you already had your answer?  Like I said - two freshman started 1 game - Cotton Bowl.  When I think of Starters, from the year before, players who only start one game, have an Asterik beside the name for me.  Are you fixing to go into one of your famous Technical Analysis over what a Starter is?  Anyway, were you making a point?

Just telling you that everything I've read and heard said they had 9 starters returning on defense. Now, they were 9 bad guys, but they are returning. It's kind of like Coleman here at Jonesboro saying a couple of years ago that all the secondary returned, most said, that's a shame.

Valleysports

Which ones were bad ricepig?

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 05, 2014, 11:03:42 am
Which ones were bad ricepig?

At Jonesboro, all of them, haha. On aTm, well, they did give up either the most yards/game, or second to Auburn. I don't know their players, it was a general statement due to their performance. I'm sure they'll be better, but defense isn't Sumlin's bag, he's more of an offensive coach.

Valleysports

Oh OK - well for instance LB, Darian Claiborne, was a true Freshman, had 89 Tackles which was 7th in the SEC.  Freshman DL, Isaiah Golden, started last 6 games, had 30 tackles, 6 against Auburn.  How about Junior Deshazor Everett, 68 tackles, started against Arkansas, returned interception 34 yds for a TD?  Remember that? Had 12 tackles against LSU.  I'll help educate you - don't worry!  ;)

ricepig

May 05, 2014, 11:41:07 am #214 Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:44:29 am by ricepig
Quote from: Valleysports on May 05, 2014, 11:38:45 am
Oh OK - well for instance LB, Darian Claiborne, was a true Freshman, had 89 Tackles which was 7th in the SEC.  Freshman DL, Isaiah Golden, started last 6 games, had 30 tackles, 6 against Auburn.  How about Junior Deshazor Everett, 68 tackles, started against Arkansas, returned interception 34 yds for a TD?  Remember that? Had 12 tackles against LSU.  I'll help educate you - don't worry!  ;)

When you can't stop someone, there are lots of opportunities for tackles.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/football/confldrs.htm

Valleysports

I didn't realize Arkansas was nearly as bad.  Does make sense - Arkansas Defensive did have an SEC record of .500 less than A&M, losing every game.  Hopefully they've graduated and recruited like A&M this year!  ;)  You did read where I said I'd be pulling for A&M, because they are young and underdogs, this year?  Doesn't seem like the dots are connecting for you again.  Oh you've started one of those long back-n-forths again - Ha I get it!  ;D 

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 05, 2014, 12:17:05 pm
I didn't realize Arkansas was nearly as bad.  Does make sense - Arkansas Defensive did have an SEC record of .500 less than A&M, losing every game.  Hopefully they've graduated and recruited like A&M this year!  ;)  You did read where I said I'd be pulling for A&M, because they are young and underdogs, this year?  Doesn't seem like the dots are connecting for you again.  Oh you've started one of those long back-n-forths again - Ha I get it!  ;D

Pull for whomever you wish, just telling you that 9 returning starters is considered good and a veteran team. As far as Arkansas, they lost a couple of D-linemen, but replaced one with the #5 DT recruit of 2014. They still need LB's, so that will be worrisome.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on May 05, 2014, 11:41:07 am

Hate to butt in, but if all those tackles are 9 yards down field are they really helping.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on May 07, 2014, 10:52:48 am

Hate to butt in, but if all those tackles are 9 yards down field are they really helping.

I guess it's better than 15 yards down field.   ;D

Valleysports

May 07, 2014, 07:41:52 pm #219 Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:47:54 pm by Valleysports

They weren't!   ;D   Don't you remember?  Getting freshmen game time, as in the Arkansas game, is valuable even if it is down field.  Arkansas plays DII teams, in preseason, is it really helping?  Sure - better than not playing at all...  Arkansas works with what they have, A&M has the luxury of upgrading every season, at this time anyway.  Looking forward to see how it turns out.   

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 07, 2014, 07:41:52 pm

They weren't!   ;D   Don't you remember?  Getting freshmen game time, as in the Arkansas game, is valuable even if it is down field.  Arkansas plays DII teams, in preseason, is it really helping?  Sure - better than not playing at all...  Arkansas works with what they have, A&M has the luxury of upgrading every season, at this time anyway.  Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Trolling I see, look up aTm's schedule, and get back to me. Arkansas, nor any FBS school plays a DII team, several play FCS teams.

Valleysports

May 07, 2014, 08:02:21 pm #221 Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:04:22 pm by Valleysports
Which ever team it is that ATU play's.  If they ain't DII, they should be...
Speaking of trolling - you could give me some love on the Manziel thread.. 

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 07, 2014, 08:02:21 pm

They are FCS, same conference as Lamar and UCA. aTm plays Lamar week two.

bleudog

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2014, 08:12:49 pm

TAMU playing Lamar?  That can't be right.  Lamar is in Beaumont, TEXAS.  That could lead to a disaster of biblical proportions. Real wrath of God type stuff. :o

ricepig

Quote from: bleudog on May 07, 2014, 08:23:46 pm
Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2014, 08:12:49 pm

TAMU playing Lamar?  That can't be right.  Lamar is in Beaumont, TEXAS.  That could lead to a disaster of biblical proportions. Real wrath of God type stuff. :o

Yeah, because the state's  of Texas and Arkansas are exactly alike.

Valleysports

Didn't I say it's a good thing - Arkansas playing the same teams as Arkansas Tech?  It's like scrimmage - get to work on plays and everyone gets playing time.  I agree with you rice.  A&M has a QB, that was playing high school football 6 months ago, needs those scrimmage games at the point.  And it's good for moral - look what it did for Arkansas last year.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 07, 2014, 08:35:51 pm
Didn't I say it's a good thing - Arkansas playing the same teams as Arkansas Tech?  It's like scrimmage - get to work on plays and everyone gets playing time.  I agree with you rice.  A&M has a QB, that was playing high school football 6 months ago, needs those scrimmage games at the point.  And it's good for moral - look what it did for Arkansas last year.

Yeah, good thing aTm knew a few years ago that they would be breaking in a new QB.

Valleysports

Don't know if you realize it but there are 22 starters, defense & offense.  Then you add in all the back ups, needing game time.  Perhaps other teams need to work on their game, more than Arkansas.  You've always been such a Champion of buying games.  Have you changed your thinking?

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 07, 2014, 09:18:37 pm
Don't know if you realize it but there are 22 starters, defense & offense.  Then you add in all the back ups, needing game time.  Perhaps other teams need to work on their game, more than Arkansas.  You've always been such a Champion of buying games.  Have you changed your thinking?

You're the one belittling the Arkansas schedule, calling the team D-II. I have no problem with SEC schools scheduling a FCS opponent when their conference is so tough. Both aTm and Arkansas open up with tough conference games on the road.

Valleysports

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2014, 10:03:03 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on May 07, 2014, 09:18:37 pm

You're the one belittling the Arkansas schedule, calling the team D-II. I have no problem with SEC schools scheduling a FCS opponent when their conference is so tough. Both aTm and Arkansas open up with tough conference games on the road.

I didn't belittle Arkansas Schedule - I said, in response to bubby's comment,  that a freshman tackling down field, is comparable to Arkansas playing DII teams, good experience that should pay off later.  You get so mixed up rice!   ;D

Uncle Ivan

Which is ironic, being that Aggy caught some flack for that pitiful non-con sched last season.

Valleysports

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 08, 2014, 03:40:12 am
Which is ironic, being that Aggy caught some flack for that pitiful non-con sched last season.

C'mon now -  Arkansas commenting on preseason schedules?  The only problem I have with preseason, is it being on the record.  Teams claiming 4-0 records (preseason), then going 0-8 trying to play at the level of their conference.  Playing scrimmage games makes sense, claiming them as a win doesn't.  So in summary - (rice) A&M will be bad because their defense is returning starters, (bubby) freshmen who led the SEC in tackling aren't good because they tackled down field, and (UI) A&Ms non-conference was weak last year.  LOL   

2014 is floor level for A&M (SEC Years) - Hog Fans better hope that doesn't translate to .500 conference.  ;)

ricepig

Pretty sure this thread say Hog football, there's always one who tries to turn it to his faggy love fest.

Valleysports

May 08, 2014, 12:21:25 pm #233 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:19:20 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: ricepig on May 08, 2014, 10:25:44 am
Pretty sure this thread say Hog football, there's always one who tries to turn it to his faggy love fest.

Is it OK to say that derogatory word on Fearless Friday?  So shut up and talk Hog Football then!

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 08, 2014, 12:21:25 pm
Quote from: ricepig on May 08, 2014, 10:25:44 am

Is it OK to say to you that derogatory word on Fearless Friday?  So shut up and talk Hog Football then!

Faggy: to work hard and become very tired
BRIT., INFORMAL to serve as a moron or servant

http://www.yourdictionary.com/faggy

It's a long time until the season starts, no need to make all of one's talking points, today.

Valleysports

Ha ha, word of the day - faggy..  I had to look one up BG said the other day, along the same lines.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on May 07, 2014, 07:41:52 pm

So A&M's 5 star recruits were worse than the Hogs recruits defensively. Upgrading? A&M can get all the 5 stars on defense that they want to and it wont help their D. The main reason is the style of offense they run, they either score to quick and their defense is on the field to long or they turn it over on downs and their defense is on the field to long. Doesn't matter what kind of prospects you have with that formula.

Both defenses got a lot of experience last year that's for sure.

Valleysports

Quote from: bdubyab60 on May 09, 2014, 08:37:09 am
So A&M's 5 star recruits were worse than the Hogs recruits defensively. Upgrading?
A&M can get all the 5 stars on defense that they want to and it wont help their D.
The main reason is the style of offense they run, they either score to quick and their defense is on the field to long or they turn it over on downs and their defense is on the field to long.
Doesn't matter what kind of prospects you have with that formula.

No - they haven't even hit the field yet  (this year was their first Top 5/6 class).
C'mon - think that through.
Ha ha ha ha - scoring too fast is a bad formula?
Sure it does - All Star teams are better than Intramural Teams at most colleges.
True Dat!

mack

Man, I'm torn.  Now that J-Foosball is in the NFL, A&M will slide back to their previous mediocrity regardless of their recruiting class.  That's just what they do.  My problem is I like Valley, but I'm going to have to say I told you so!

I'm willing to wager on the UA/A&M game this year.  I won't even ask for points.  Are you feeling froggy Valley :-)

Valleysports

Ricepig I wish bubby and mack would let us discuss the Hogs.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on May 09, 2014, 09:17:50 am
Quote from: bdubyab60 on May 09, 2014, 08:37:09 am
So A&M's 5 star recruits were worse than the Hogs recruits defensively. Upgrading?
A&M can get all the 5 stars on defense that they want to and it wont help their D.
The main reason is the style of offense they run, they either score to quick and their defense is on the field to long or they turn it over on downs and their defense is on the field to long.
Doesn't matter what kind of prospects you have with that formula.

No - they haven't even hit the field yet  (this year was their first Top 5/6 class).
C'mon - think that through.
Ha ha ha ha - scoring too fast is a bad formula?
Sure it does - All Star teams are better than Intramural Teams at most colleges.
True Dat!
Come on valley you know what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure A&M recruiting class was better than the Hogs was the year before. When the defense is on the filed more than the offense they tend to give up more points.

At any rate all it will add up to is SEC mediocrity and a few good seasons here and there just like the Hogs. I still think the Hogs are 2 years away from doing any real damage in the conference.

Valleysports

May 11, 2014, 10:12:35 am #241 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:43:46 am by Valleysports
Quote from: bdubyab60 on May 11, 2014, 09:39:35 am
Come on valley you know what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure A&M recruiting class was better than the Hogs was the year before. When the defense is on the filed more than the offense they tend to give up more points.

Razorbacks - 2010 (49), 2011 (24), 2012 (34), 2013 (27), 2014 (29), 2015 (supposed to be good).
Texas A&M  - 2010 (17), 2011 (27), 2012 (15), 2013 (11), 2014 (6),   2015 (1).
Alabama - - - 2011 through 2014 ( #1 ), 2015 (2).

Not that it is always this way, but recruit rankings tend to trend performance.

I know what you're talking about - reason we don't agree is that, for some reason, it's hard for Hog Fans to see the Big Picture.  Or is it?   ;)  It's no slight on Arkansas - just the way it's coming together for A&M.

Please post further A&M post on the A&M Thread I'm about to start....  :)

mack

Quote from: Valleysports on May 11, 2014, 10:12:35 am
Quote from: bdubyab60 on May 11, 2014, 09:39:35 am

Razorbacks - 2010 (49), 2011 (24), 2012 (34), 2013 (27), 2014 (29), 2015 (supposed to be good).
Texas A&M  - 2010 (17), 2011 (27), 2012 (15), 2013 (11), 2014 (6),   2015 (1).
Alabama - - - 2011 through 2014 ( #1 ), 2015 (2).

Not that it is always this way, but recruit rankings tend to trend performance.

I know what you're talking about - reason we don't agree is that, for some reason, it's hard for Hog Fans to see the Big Picture.  Or is it?   ;)  It's no slight on Arkansas - just the way it's coming together for A&M.

Please post further A&M post on the A&M Thread I'm about to start....  :)

Bro',,,, you are setting yourself up for a big fall.  Don't worry,Mack will be here to comfort you!

Valleysports

What's the Kicking Situation going to be for the Hogs this year?  Lost a punter, and a 7th round NFL Kicker (I just enjoyed saying that)? 

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 12, 2014, 04:03:34 pm
What's the Kicking Situation going to be for the Hogs this year?  Lost a punter, and a 7th round NFL Kicker (I just enjoyed saying that)?

Signed the #1 kicker in the nation out of Argyle(SP) TX, and we still have our Aussie punter from last year.

Uncle Ivan

Punter is solid, national record holder kicker recruit coming in.  Beat OU and A&M for him.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 12, 2014, 04:24:20 pm

Punter is solid, national record holder kicker recruit coming in.  Beat OU and A&M for him.
That's because they focus more on touchdowns......

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 12, 2014, 04:51:36 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 12, 2014, 04:24:20 pm

That's because they focus more on touchdowns......

So, when they offered, they didn't want him?

cuckoobird

No he just knew he could kick more fieldgoals at arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 12, 2014, 08:06:57 pm
No he just knew he could kick more fieldgoals at arkansas.

OU was 24/27 on FG's, now aTm only made 10, but they had to get a guy off the soccer team to kick XPts and FG's. Hocker was 13/15 on FG's.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas