• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College Volleyball

Started by Valleysports, September 17, 2014, 05:08:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

Valleysports

Friday's match with the Crimson Storm will be played at 4 p.m.
Saturday's matchup with Union will be played at Noon, after which the Golden Suns will play TNU at 2 p.m.

Valleysports

TECH wins Great American Conference again - 3 out of last 4 years - Top 3 Arkansas High School Players signing with TECH! 

Gulfhog

It's great that Tech is getting some local talent that will bring attention to the school, but it's sad if this is truly the top 3 players in the state and none of them signed a D1 scholarship.  The talent is there but the mindset needs to be changed surrounding the club programs in order to attract attention from D1 schools.  The club programs are built as feeder systems for the universities that support them and you are almost seen as an outcast if you show consideration to any other school outside of the local program.   

Valleysports

One of those commits had more than enough DI attention.  Girls Sports (college) are over rated - a player needs to go where she will be happy, not for the prestige of being a DI player.  I remember a few years back when three successful DI players quit their universities basketball programs and came to Tech.  That was some fun times!  What's the advantageous of signing a full scholarship with Oklahoma vs ATU?  Your family & friends won't be able to watch and support you?  They get homesick and want to come home?  Those girls are signing with a Top D2 team - that plays in the playoffs every year and get an education while doing it - what's sad about that?

Vballfan

I agree the  club system isn't set up to showcase the talent as there are few teams in Arkansas that are good enough to compete at the highest level in the big national tournaments, but there are several D1 prospects accross the state. Fayetteville has a couple freshman getting national attention, Russellville has a junior Arkansas St commit, Cabot has a sophomore that has D1 interest, I am sure there are others.  There is at least 1 D1 commit in the 2015 class and several D2.  The colleges supporting club is somewhat unique to arkansas but it's a big reason the skill level has been rising and those that like volleyball in this state should be grateful the colleges are involved with club.  Player development by and large us not happening in the high school gyms in thus state.

Most players that have D1 offers can play D2 if they choose. It's a good choice for some and others will want to play on the biggest stage they can, get away from home, etc.  getting scholarship support is a big accomplishment at any level considering the overall lack of respect for the level of Arkansas volleyball and the few opportunities there are.  I think the key is figuring out what you want and then going for it but there is a big difference in watching a game at UCA vs say Harding or Tech just like there is a big difference in mid D1 to the top 10 teams in the country. Talent tends to go to the highest level it is recruited with some exceptions of course

Valleysports

Well said Vball - that's what I meant............  :D

1-Adam-12

Congrats to UA-Fort Smith. They have made the Elite Eight of the DII Tournament by beating three higher seeded teams.

They will play New Haven on Dec. 4 at 7:30 in Louisville. Major props to the Lady Lions and Coach Sargent!

Valleysports

Signing day at Har-Ber, Ft Smith SS, Russellville!  :D

1-Adam-12

UAFS wins 3 sets to 1. They are in the Final Four.  Playing Tampa 5:30 tomorrow.

Keep it going!

WPWells

1-Adam-12

UAFS falls to Tampa 3 sets to 1.  Nevertheless a great season for Coach Sargent and the Lady Lions. A 28-5 record and a trip to the Final Four are nothing to sneeze at.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas