• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All-State Snubs

Started by WPWells, December 16, 2014, 02:45:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

This is not a thread to pump up some random player for your team who had a pretty good season. This is a legitimate thread for people who were CLEARLY deserving and for whatever reason didn't get it:

Taylor King and Chris Williams - Charleston

Proud Buckaroo

BassMaster33

YC

Okay, I'm about the date myself and all will know I am somewhat older (and wiser, haha) than most of you.

When I played there was an offensive and defensive team selected and somewhere around 20 to 25 honorable mentions and that was it.

There was somewhat of a problem with the politics of the situation but not on near as high a scale as there is today.

What you had then was a more legitimate all state team.

adaptedtigerfan

You don't want me to get started on political correctness.   :)

BassMaster33

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on December 16, 2014, 03:19:02 pm
You don't want me to get started on political correctness.   :)
I think you should Adapted!!  I'm pretty sure everyone else feels the same way!

bigcat72

I don't know about the rest of the year, but Hempstead stood out in the Lamar / Smackover game.

Jimbo Morphis

Proud Buckaroo

Elmo has stood out ALL year long to me.

He is a senior.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on December 16, 2014, 03:31:50 pm

He is a senior.
there goes that theory.

cdelaney

He is a senior.
And last year he was their 2nd best player behind Fabian Sims (I think I got his name right)

BassMaster33

Quote from: Oldman on December 16, 2014, 03:32:40 pm

He is a senior.
there goes that theory.
Lol, I checked that too..

Hootie

He is a senior.

Thank goodness.  ;)

nastynice

Where can I see this list?

-Painted Fan-

5 from Smackover, 4 from Prescott, 4 from Mayflower, 3 from West Fork- but only 2 from Charleston?
This is not a slight at those players from the above mentioned teams (very good players from good teams), but that math does NOT add up.

Wolfpack68

From Prescott, Andrew Maxwell, Curtis Toliver, Tray Beasely, Darian Marlow.

gold45

December 16, 2014, 05:12:59 pm #17 Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:14:35 pm by gold45
I

WPWells

gold45

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 16, 2014, 05:19:37 pm
Quote from: gold45 on December 16, 2014, 05:12:59 pm
I

Who does I play for?

Lol.  I plays for "realized I read the topic thread wrong right after I posted and couldn't figure out how to delete from my phone."  Ever heard of him? :D

BassMaster33

Quote from: gold45 on December 16, 2014, 05:30:56 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 16, 2014, 05:19:37 pm
Quote from: gold45 on December 16, 2014, 05:12:59 pm
I

Who does I play for?

Lol.  I plays for "realized I read the topic thread wrong right after I posted and couldn't figure out how to delete from my phone."  Ever heard of him? :D
Bahahahaha I'm dying!!

Pastureboy21

William McCastlain (who was finalist for d POY) and Cori Gooseberry (the other goose who played D-end)

The Dynasty

Taylor King- Charleston Tigers

117 receptions
1559 yds
19 TDS

Find me a bigger offensive snub than that.

And for Danville to get two is a joke. They were a 5-6 team that got blown out of the water by every good team they played outside of Lamar. Laughable at best. 

BUCK FEVER

mack truck

Its seems like its all about who you know! POLITICS!

Coach Jones

There are 4 Skill positions and 4 Line Positions per conf.

4 - 3A   
Storey
May
Cathey
Sampley
Were the skill positions.  King was very deserving, but would have had to bump one of these very deserving people off the list.   There is only so many spots and every year some big time names are left off the list.  It is voted on by the conf coaches.

The Dynasty

Quote from: Coach Jones on December 17, 2014, 08:35:28 am

4 - 3A   
Storey
May
Cathey
Sampley
Were the skill positions.  King was very deserving, but would have had to bump one of these very deserving people off the list.   There is only so many spots and every year some big time names are left off the list.  It is voted on by the conf coaches.

Sooooooooooooooooooo what were Cathey's stats on the year?

King was arguably the second best player in the conference and I'd bet my paycheck that the 8 coaches in this conference would take him over the one that got on the list instead.

AnotherTurfMonkey

Dynasty,

It's probably the same way Danvile's linebacker got a #1 vote for conference lineman of the year, and Posky got a #4 vote from that same coach.

Just a thought.

KOJACK

Bottom line is that it is politics. Just like everything else in the world...So Coaches before you run the score up on somebody next time you better think about it...

The Dynasty

Quote from: KOJACK on December 17, 2014, 08:54:39 am
Bottom line is that it is politics. Just like everything else in the world...So Coaches before you run the score up on somebody next time you better think about it...

Good point. I wonder how other coaches would treat us if we played our starters the second half in some of these annual runaways?

KOJACK

Quote from: The Dynasty on December 17, 2014, 09:02:07 am
Quote from: KOJACK on December 17, 2014, 08:54:39 am

Good point. I wonder how other coaches would treat us if we played our starters the second half in some of these annual runaways?
Evidently it doesn't matter...they got y'all anyway right?

El Jefe

For Elmo Hempstead not to be an allstater is a joke. It easy to solve though. Either A) he wasn't nominated by his coach for discipline reasons of other reasons or B) see A

voice74

Quote from: El Jefe on December 17, 2014, 09:18:49 am
For Elmo Hempstead not to be an allstater is a joke. It easy to solve though. Either A) he wasn't nominated by his coach for discipline reasons of other reasons or B) see A

I agree that Elmo not being all state is a joke.  Totally.  He is a good kid and he played great this year.  Arguably the most productive player for Smackover. 

You are wrong in your assumption, though.  These nominations happen before the playoffs.  Conference coaches get together and nominate players for their team.  There are only 4 "back" selections.  Backs include RB's Receivers and FBs.  Smackover coaches nominated and then all the coaches of the conference vote on the nominated players.  Instead of Elmo getting it...the Fouke running back and Magee running back got the nod. 

It is a flawed process, and I hate it for Elmo...he deserved to be all state.  When he is playing in college next year, everyone will see.  He quite possibly could be one of the top 2 or 3 best player to come out of Smackover...ever.

Know the process, then assign the blame.  Coaches nominated and voted for Elmo.  He is a good kid.

HorseCollar

2 years ago the smackover QB was left off all state list and I'm not really sure how. There are snubs every year. It seems that they should change the selection process. He very easily could have been voted all state offensively or defensively IMO.

ChucktownTiger

If I were I pick the kids left out from Charleston, I'd go King and Lynch. Kings numbers speak for themselves. Lynch on the other hand, was a blue collar work horse for the team and a pivotal part I the Landshark Defense. Again, not everyone that deserves its can make the list. That's life and that's sports. However it doesn't mean they had a bad year.

BUCK FEVER

December 17, 2014, 06:52:44 pm #35 Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:02:08 pm by BUCK FEVER
Quote from: Coach Jones on December 17, 2014, 08:35:28 am

4 - 3A   
Storey
May
Cathey
Sampley

Is it common to list a defensive back as a defensive lineman to make room for certain individuals ?
or a linebacker as a lineman ?

WPWells

I think linebackers are considered linemen

OLDSCHOOL82

WPWells

For the purposes of all-state is what I meant

ChucktownTiger

WPWells

I guess Colton Posky was an all-state center then instead of an all-state linebacker

adaptedtigerfan

We did have a lock down center.   Lol

WHITEchicken

Elmo deserved all state. There are some people that dont understand the process. All thr coaches from smack can do is nominate and vote. Other coaches might havr not liked him because of how he made their team look or something like that. Peoplr calling the coaches out for him not getting it is crazy. Ignorence is not always bliss.

snoopy22

linebackers can be backs or linemen

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas