• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

jonesboro girls

Started by chickasaw fan, July 15, 2014, 02:39:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chickasaw fan

why are they not a top contender year in and year out?

ricepig

Quote from: chickasaw fan on July 15, 2014, 02:39:19 pm
why are they not a top contender year in and year out?

Great question, most in Jonesboro wonder, too.

4real

FreeMoney

Ask Swift he has all the answers go ahead just ask him. He would say because he isn't coaching them.

ricepig

Quote from: FreeMoney on July 15, 2014, 09:56:04 pm
Ask Swift he has all the answers go ahead just ask him. He would say because he isn't coaching them.

It probably wouldn't hurt if he was coaching them.

chickasaw fan

Well, if you had a girl that was pretty good heading into the 9th grade, what jonesboro area school would send her to?? 

ricepig

Quote from: chickasaw fan on July 17, 2014, 11:37:24 am
Well, if you had a girl that was pretty good heading into the 9th grade, what jonesboro area school would send her to??

Well, I wouldn't send one to any school for sports only, so there's that. I'd visit each school and talk with parents of kids that are playing, you probably won't get a good response on FF. Good luck on your decision.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2014, 12:04:55 pm

Well, I wouldn't send one to any school for sports only, so there's that. I'd visit each school and talk with parents of kids that are playing, you probably won't get a good response on FF. Good luck on your decision.
I think there are plenty of good schools in the jonesboro area for both athletics and academics, but if I was to choose one for my daughter to go to I'd probably send her to Brookland.

ricepig

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on July 17, 2014, 01:18:09 pm

I think there are plenty of good schools in the jonesboro area for both athletics and academics, but if I was to choose one for my daughter to go to I'd probably send her to Brookland.

Yeah, if AP courses and playing in the biggest classification isn't your cup of tea.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2014, 01:34:04 pm

Yeah, if AP courses and playing in the biggest classification isn't your cup of tea.
Like I said lots of good schools that have different things to offer. That would be my choice, what is your choice ricepig?

ricepig

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on July 17, 2014, 01:44:40 pm
Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2014, 01:34:04 pm

Like I said lots of good schools that have different things to offer. That would be my choice, what is your choice ricepig?

For my kids, I've stated that I wouldn't move for athletics. As far as academics, it would depend on my kids needs and wants. I've been blessed with two, so far, very academically advanced kids that thrived in the atmosphere at JHS. I also realize that it it's a big school and they have to "teach" them all.

As far as athletics, I'd visit all the schools and then visit with as many parents of players I could to get their "private" views on their school/coach/team.

SNWA

Im assuming they got their smarts from their momma???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ricepig

Quote from: SNWA on July 18, 2014, 07:17:31 am
Im assuming they got their smarts from their momma???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No doubt, I'm like you, I just walk around, dragging my knuckles....... ;D

SNWA

haha we know our place...

Redwolf

Coaching is the main reason jonesboro girls are never good. I also think there are kids walking the halls that are better players than some that suit up every year

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolf on July 23, 2014, 10:11:16 pm
Coaching is the main reason jonesboro girls are never good. I also think there are kids walking the halls that are better players than some that suit up every year

On the coaching, I'll let that be, as far as better kids walking the halls, doubtful if they are eligible. Why aren't they playing in your opinion?

Redwolf

Quote from: ricepig on July 23, 2014, 10:18:43 pm

On the coaching, I'll let that be, as far as better kids walking the halls, doubtful if they are eligible. Why aren't they playing in your opinion?
There are some kids that won't play for the current coach. A few of them might not be eligible but some are.

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolf on July 25, 2014, 11:32:29 am

There are some kids that won't play for the current coach. A few of them might not be eligible but some are.

Well, that doesn't show much intelligence, you only have a few years to play high school. I did they same thing 35 years ago, I only cheated myself out of getting to play my soph and Jr years. This was in football, I still played basketball, but I didn't really prove anything.

Basketballfan13

An athlete should never choose not to play because they do not like a coach. To me that is looking for an excuse and people already have plenty of them these days. As a coach I wouldn't want a player that plays because they "like the coach" I want players that play because they love the game.

Redwolf

Quote from: ricepig on July 25, 2014, 01:08:45 pm

Well, that doesn't show much intelligence, you only have a few years to play high school. I did they same thing 35 years ago, I only cheated myself out of getting to play my soph and Jr years. This was in football, I still played basketball, but I didn't really prove anything.
I agree that it doesn't say much about the kid being very smart but we are talking about teenagers. I'm just saying Jonesboro could have a better girls program if some of these kids were playing. I also agree with the above poster that said the kid should want to play because she/he enjoys the game. I think it also says something about the parenting when a kid won't play because of the coach but that's just my opinion.

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolf on July 25, 2014, 04:53:43 pm
Quote from: ricepig on July 25, 2014, 01:08:45 pm

I agree that it doesn't say much about the kid being very smart but we are talking about teenagers. I'm just saying Jonesboro could have a better girls program if some of these kids were playing. I also agree with the above poster that said the kid should want to play because she/he enjoys the game. I think it also says something about the parenting when a kid won't play because of the coach but that's just my opinion.

No doubt, my oldest played football a few years ago and always commented about some guys walking the hall. Now, the may have just been the type that looked good stepping off the bus, you don't know until they are willing to sacrifice and play like the other kids.

BigBobB

July 26, 2014, 07:52:39 am #21 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:00:00 am by BigBobB
I think you're absolutely right. The mind of an athlete is different than the average kid. Athletes will sacrifice whatever is needed to excel. My son played high school/college football.  My daughter plays high school basketball and hopes to play at the next level. Both of my kids didn't require any prompting to get up early and stay up late to hit the gym in order to excel. A kid can have all the athletic ability in the world, but if they don't have that athlete's mindset, they're not going to contribute like you think they should. When a coach finds themselves working harder than the player at them being a good athlete, they should take a realistic look at that player and see  whether or not they should be on the team. Nothing much more frustrating than watching a coach constantly trying to motivate an athletic kid who isn't an athlete. Coaches can motivate athletes, but not your average kid. Those kids should just keep walking the halls. Just my opnion

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas