• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The new Southside mascot is....

Started by Baitshop, October 08, 2015, 05:21:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Baitshop

October 08, 2015, 05:21:56 pm Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:32:38 pm by Baitshop
After the student vote is either.....Mavericks or Spartans...

Decision maybe as soon as Monday...

Coach Venny Slocombe

HorseFeathers

At least they are going to be unique...

7AFBFAN

Spartans is awesome. I love it. Mavericks nah.

ricepig

I like Spartans, I guess you'll have to rip off Michigan State's logo, haha. I'm not sure how it will look in baby blue, though.

Maclin on your girl

They're changing the color to because it's offensive also.

Baitshop

It's hard to make anything look tough in Columbia blue....

phdefense

October 08, 2015, 10:26:21 pm #7 Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:28:35 pm by phdefense
Quote from: ricepig on October 08, 2015, 06:13:56 pm
I like Spartans, I guess you'll have to rip off Michigan State's logo, haha. I'm not sure how it will look in baby blue, though.
The Spartans would be terribly offensive to all the descendants of the Trojan holocaust.

And Maverick represents descent and non-conformity and is therefore offensive to our culture of tolerance and community.

Brian G

October 08, 2015, 10:40:54 pm #8 Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:43:06 pm by B.G.
How much longer on these jokes?

I mean, I had a good time with it too but that ship has sailed.

I'm not saying to stop.  Just asking.

Pr8hd

I really like the Spartans...plus you can use the ole Will Ferrell perfect cheer stuff as motivation.

Joking on that,but I like the name better than the Mavs.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Maverick as in James Garner...or Tom Cruise...

Baitshop

Valleysports

Spartans go with Southside, like Raiders went Robert E Lee (Texas).  Sounds like a fit.  Also the mascot can be similar.  Why would y'all even consider being an unbranded steer?

Baitshop

Simple..."unbranded steer" is code for REBEL..

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Baitshop on October 08, 2015, 11:53:28 pm
Tom Cruise....definitely

To associate your mascot with that Oprah couch jumper does not instill fear in any opponent.

PrivateLesson

The fact that you know that about Tom Cruise being on Oprah doesn't boost your fear level...a whole lot...lol!  :)  I'm playing.   

I kinda like Mavericks.   

Valleysports

Quote from: Baitshop on October 09, 2015, 08:47:07 am

So would the mascot actually be a male bovine animal castrated before sexual maturity?  I guess in today's society that would be more appropriate.  I like it - GO SOUTHSIDE CASTRATED STEERS - beat the Bulldogs!   

phdefense

October 09, 2015, 09:54:09 am #17 Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:49:16 am by phdefense
Quote from: Valleysports on October 09, 2015, 09:39:44 am

So would the mascot actually be a male bovine animal castrated before sexual maturity?  I guess in today's society that would be more appropriate.  I like it - GO SOUTHSIDE CASTRATED STEERS - beat the Bulldogs!   
Much like Maverick at the end of Top Gun I was circling and determined to not engage. Alas you have forced my hand. The term Maverick is not specific to steers, but encompasses any unmarked & astray bovine. Furthermore the bolded text is redundant. I am trying to begin my slow exit from FF, but you guys are making it hard.

WPWells

phdefense

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 09, 2015, 10:19:07 am
Why are you leaving?!
In my opinion casual fun is being over moderated. Once a person stops enjoying something why continue?

OB11

I always thought a Spartan was a cool mascot. 

Valleysports

Quote from: phdefense on October 09, 2015, 09:54:09 am

Much like Maverick at the end of Top Gun I was circling and determined to not engage. Alas you have forced my hand. The term Maverick is not specific to steers, but encompasses any astray bovine. Furthermore the bolded text is redundant. I am trying to begin my slow exit from FF, but you guys are making it hard.

My bad phdefense - you are so correct - Go Southside Castrated Bulls - beat the Bulldogs! 

Also sorry to have forced your hand about the definition, I actually copied and pasted that line right out of the dictionary - then added "So would the mascot actually be" + plus the definition "a male bovine animal castrated before sexual maturity".  Hey don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.  If phdefense say's the dictionary is not correct, then that dictionary is most likely incorrect.  haha  It's all good with me!  ;D

mav·er·ick (mvr-k, mvrk)
n.
1. A maverick is a castrated steer that exhibits erratic behavior by wandering away from the herd and getting lost. It can be rounded up and branded by anyone who finds it..
2. One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter.

phdefense

Quote from: Valleysports on October 09, 2015, 10:59:13 am

Much like Maverick at the end of Top Gun I was circling and determined to not engage. Alas you have forced my hand. The term Maverick is not specific to steers, but encompasses any astray bovine. Furthermore the bolded text is redundant. I am trying to begin my slow exit from FF, but you guys are making it hard.

My bad phdefense - you are so correct - Go Southside Castrated Bulls - beat the Bulldogs! 

Also sorry to have forced your hand about the definition, I actually copied and pasted that line right out of the dictionary - then added "So would the mascot actually be" + plus the definition "a male bovine animal castrated before sexual maturity".  Hey don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.  If phdefense say's the dictionary is not correct, then that dictionary is most likely incorrect.  haha  It's all good with me!  ;D

mav·er·ick (mvr-k, mvrk)
n.
1. A maverick is a castrated steer that exhibits erratic behavior by wandering away from the herd and getting lost. It can be rounded up and branded by anyone who finds it..
2. One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter.
Sarcasm acknowledged. In this case I really question the dictionary or at least your choice of dictionaries.

1. Southwestern U.S. an unbranded calf, cow, or steer, especially an unbranded calf that is separated from its mother.
2. a lone dissenter, as an intellectual, an artist, or a politician, who takes an independent stand apart from his or her associates:
    a modern-dance maverick.
    Synonyms: nonconformist, individualist; free thinker; loner, lone wolf.
    a person pursuing rebellious, even potentially disruptive, policies or ideas:
    You can't muzzle a maverick.
    Synonyms: rebel, cowboy; loose cannon.

3. Maverick, an electro-optically guided U.S. air-to-ground tactical missile for destroying tanks and other hardened targets at ranges up to 15 miles (24 km).
adjective
4. unorthodox, unconventional, nonconformist:
a maverick fiscal conservative willing to raise taxes.

Origin of maverick
1865-1870
1865-70, Americanism; after Samuel A. Maverick (1803-70), Texas pioneer who left his calves unbranded

Valleysports

Do you think you might've gotten off track just a tad?  haha

I asked my question, referencing Baitshop's very definition of the mascot.  Rebel is code for unbranded steer - by gosh!     

PrivateLesson

Oh my God.   What is this.....some episode of Big Valley??   Or how to brand your cow or steer?

It is rather a rebellious way to go about making ones point!   lol! 

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: phdefense on October 09, 2015, 11:04:21 am
Quote from: Valleysports on October 09, 2015, 10:59:13 am

mav·er·ick (mvr-k, mvrk)
n.
Sarcasm acknowledged. In this case I really question the dictionary or at least your choice of dictionaries.

1. Southwestern U.S. an unbranded calf, cow, or steer, especially an unbranded calf that is separated from its mother.
2. a lone dissenter, as an intellectual, an artist, or a politician, who takes an independent stand apart from his or her associates:
    a modern-dance maverick.
    Synonyms: nonconformist, individualist; free thinker; loner, lone wolf.
    a person pursuing rebellious, even potentially disruptive, policies or ideas:
    You can't muzzle a maverick.
    Synonyms: rebel, cowboy; loose cannon.

3. Maverick, an electro-optically guided U.S. air-to-ground tactical missile for destroying tanks and other hardened targets at ranges up to 15 miles (24 km).
adjective
4. unorthodox, unconventional, nonconformist:
a maverick fiscal conservative willing to raise taxes.

Origin of maverick
1865-1870
1865-70, Americanism; after Samuel A. Maverick (1803-70), Texas pioneer who left his calves unbranded

PHD is right....

And don't leave... We have some intense JV discussions to finish...  Who was joking about that stuff?  I thought we were all serious.....

Valleysports

$aintMaximu$

Valleysports

You go to the Planet Fitness in Springdale?

fastdrop

Quote from: Baitshop on October 08, 2015, 08:06:23 pm
It's hard to make anything look tough in Columbia blue....
Columbia Blue Devils

Baitshop

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Baitshop on October 12, 2015, 08:38:05 pm
"Mavericks" it is...
Bait, what are your thoughts on that...I hate it that you guys are losing Rebels...it just won't seem the same...

B.S.

Baitshop

Maynard G Krebs

phdefense

Coach Venny Slocombe

Baitshop

For you bovine inclined....it ain't about no unbranded steer....

You see, we kind of snuck one in on our kneejerk school board...

A Maverick is just another form of a Rebel...

Maclin on your girl

Valleysports

Are y'all still deciding?  I hope y'all don't actually go with Mavericks.  While it might be cute (slipping the Rebel by admin sorta) to fans presently, Maverick will be the mascot for 100 yrs.  Future generations will be like, what the heck was St Baitshop thinking?  Trust me, I know, Tech was honored with the name of Wonderboys in 1919 (after beating A-State).  We've just about replaced the Wonderboy, with Jerry the Bulldog, but I doubt we have a complete takover before 2019.   

Valleysports

For the youngsters who don't know - this was some what of a muscle car.  Built to replace the Mustang, the Maverick came with a stock 302 V8 and was less than 3,000 lbs.  We literally had to get rid of ours because it was too much for my mom, but not before I got my license and won my share of races.   ;) 

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on October 13, 2015, 07:28:58 pm

For the youngsters who don't know - this was some what of a muscle car.  Built to replace the Mustang, the Maverick came with a stock 302 V8 and was less than 3,000 lbs.  We literally had to get rid of ours because it was too much for my mom, but not before I got my license and won my share of races.   ;) 

That is a sexy car right there son. Wow.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Baitshop on October 13, 2015, 10:02:17 am

Not the same Bait...not the same. I am really gonna miss the Rebel mascot...

Baitshop

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 13, 2015, 09:51:16 pm
Quote from: Baitshop on October 13, 2015, 10:02:17 am

Not the same Bait...not the same. I am really gonna miss the Rebel mascot...

I think that the vast majority of Southside fans and graduates will too, but you fight the battles that you can win....

Baitshop

October 13, 2015, 10:37:53 pm #45 Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:40:31 pm by Baitshop
Quote from: Valleysports on October 13, 2015, 07:28:58 pm

I had a friend back in high school that had a 1972 Maverick Grabber and dropped a 351 Cleveland in it with a Holly 650 double pumper in it....

He put Crager SS wheels on it and somehow fit a pair of 60's on the back and a pair of 70's on the front....

It still had that hideous bench seat in the front, but it was a baaaaaddd car for the mid 70's...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas