• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week 8 - Nashville @ Mena

Started by ~WPS~, October 14, 2016, 11:34:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

~WPS~

October 14, 2016, 11:34:25 pm Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:43:16 am by ~WPS~
Nashville Scrappers vs. Mena Bearcats
Randall Whorton Field, Mena, AR
October 21, 2016 @ 7:00 PM

Video:  http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/schools/nashville-high-school-nashville-ar
Audio:  www.southwestarkansasradio.com

Nashville Scrappers
Head Coach: Mike Volarvich
Record at Nashville: 22-0 (2nd Year)
2016 Record:  7-0
2016 Conf. Record:  4-0 (1st)
Last Week:  Won 56-51 @ Ashdown
PPG Scored:  60.3
PPG Allowed:  33.3
Offense:  Spread
Defense:  3-4
2015 Record: 15-0
2015 Conf. Record:  7-0 (1st 7-4A)
2015 Playoffs:  5-0 (State Champion)
Returning Starters:  6 offense / 5 defense

Mena Bearcats
Head Coach:  Tim Harper
Record at Mena:  25-18 (4th Year)
2016 Record:  5-2
2016 Conf. Record:  3-1 (T-2nd)
Last Week:  Won 23-21 @ Arkadelphia
PPG Scored:  29.6
PPG Allowed:  17.8
Offense:  Multiple
Defense:  Multiple
2015 Record:  3-7
2015 Conf. Record:  2-5 (6th 7-4A)
2015 Playoffs:  0-0
Returning Starters:  7 offense / 4 defense

Team Stats
Passing
Nashville:  214.0 YPG
Mena:  131.6 YPG

Rushing
Nashville:  338.6 YPG
Mena:  163.7 YPG

Total
Nashville:  552.6 YPG
Mena:  295.3 YPG

Stat Leaders
Passing
Nashville:  Tyler Hanson - 85/117, 1462 yards, 22 TD, 2 INT
Mena:  Carson Cannon - 64/131, 921 yards, 12 TD, 4 INT

Rushing
Nashville:  Darius Hopkins - 106-1207 yards, 24 TD ... Trent Harris - 83-900 yards, 11 TD
Mena:  Carson Cannon - 83-383 yards, 7 TD

Receiving
Nashville:  Ty Pettway - 22-461 yards, 8 TD ... Domonick Kight - 22-414 yards, 8 TD
Mena:  Ty Cole - 8-174 yards, 2 TD ... Justin Dean - 12-175, 2 TD

Tackles
Nashville:  Hunter White - 81 total tackles (13 TFL)
Mena:  Jonny Gunn - 63 total tackles

Sacks
Nashville:  Mace Green - 3 sacks
Mena:  Zion Barnes - 5 sacks

Interceptions
Nashville:  Domonick Kight - 3 INT
Mena:  Cross Hughes - 4 INT

Series History
All-Time:  Nashville leads 40-6
Last 10 Games:  Nashville 10-0 (Nashville has won last 15)
Games Played at Mena:  Nashville leads 16-5
Last Meeting:  October 23, 2015 (Nashville won 44-0)
First Meeting:  November 24, 1922 (Mena won 20-6)

modder

Where do you get your statistics?

~WPS~

Maxpreps and Hudl. Mena hasn't reported every games stats so I had to piece together from newspaper articles of some games. I'm certain Mena's isn't accurate but at least gives an idea who their best players are.

Bigbossman

Anybody else remember that 1 year mena made the state game....anyway that year they had a rabid fan, and a coach posting on here, any chance either of them are still around?

modder

Quote from: ~WPS~ on October 15, 2016, 10:27:00 am
Maxpreps and Hudl. Mena hasn't reported every games stats so I had to piece together from newspaper articles of some games. I'm certain Mena's isn't accurate but at least gives an idea who their best players are.
OK thanks and yeah it's hard to find any accurate stats for Mena.

~WPS~

Quote from: Bigbossman on October 15, 2016, 12:34:34 pm
Anybody else remember that 1 year mena made the state game....anyway that year they had a rabid fan, and a coach posting on here, any chance either of them are still around?
They're still around. They don't seem as excited this year.

Top Shelf

Nashville has mercy ruled Mena more times than anyone cares to recall (including their best ever team in 2014).  Same song, second verse this year.

Branding Iron (open)- 27
Branding Iron (closed)- 63

FootBallar21

Quote from: Top Shelf on October 17, 2016, 08:43:38 am
Nashville has mercy ruled Mena more times than anyone cares to recall (including their best ever team in 2014).  Same song, second verse this year.

Branding Iron (open)- 27
Branding Iron (closed)- 63

I don't think that was Mena's BEST EVER TEAM,  they have had at least 2 teams that were better than that one, including a State Championship team in the 70's as well as a 10-0 Conference Title Team in 96.     Also in 2014 Mena's best player was suspended for the Nashville game,  and I think the proof was in the playoffs when both teams were at full strength , Mena was the better team in 2014.   

That being said this isn't 2014 and Nashville looks really really really good.  ( especially on offense ) the defense though seems to have some questions,  which could make for a decent game as Mena's defense has played good most of the season.  I think Mena can take some confidence as well knowing most people in Polk County fill Mena should of won the Ashdown game that they ended up losing by 1 point, AT Ashdown.   Seeing just how close the panthers were to pulling the upset has got to help Mena's confidence.    Coach Harper is a smart guy and Im sure he will have his kids ready to go ,  does he have the fire power to pull off the upset probably not,  but they may keep it close awhile. 

Nashville 56
Mena 38 

~WPS~

I see you are still making excuses 2 years later.

SCRAP_DAWG09

Quote from: ~WPS~ on October 17, 2016, 09:47:42 am
I see you are still making excuses 2 years later.
His logic on which team was better is insane. Dardanelle was better than Mena that year and if they were on Mena's side of the bracket that year you know full well you would've lost. So you're telling me a team that has their "star player" out for 1 game is the only reason they got mercy ruled. Wow, not saying much right there my friend.

scrapman

Mena averages 29 ppg. Will they hit their average this week?  30 won't be enough but can they get it.

Lumberjackfan1978

Top Shelf

Top Shelf

panther07

Nashville lack of defense fixable? Is it major concern in the playoffs? I'm sure i'll get the answer of "not when your offense is that good" but one would have to think it's possible for the offense to not play well at some point. 

~WPS~

October 18, 2016, 12:06:28 pm #15 Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:08:41 pm by ~WPS~
The defense steps up when needed. They held Robinson to 28, which was the big game when we needed the defense to step up. They struggled early last week but held Ashdown to 1 TD in the 2nd half. They will be fine.

The offense didn't play great against Robinson, got inside the 20 a couple of times and didn't score. Defense stepped up and got some big stops.

scrapman

Nashville does what they need to do to win. Have been in a bunch of close games over the last two years and find a way to get it done. 

FootBallar21

Quote from: SCRAP_DAWG09 on October 17, 2016, 10:36:02 am
His logic on which team was better is insane. Dardanelle was better than Mena that year and if they were on Mena's side of the bracket that year you know full well you would've lost. So you're telling me a team that has their "star player" out for 1 game is the only reason they got mercy ruled. Wow, not saying much right there my friend.

Mena shouldn't of been mercy ruled in that game,   Dardanelle was clearly the 2nd best team in 4A football that year, and Mena was the 3rd they deserved that.    There was other factors other then Mena's best player a 2 way starter who scored a ton of TD's and was the heart and soul of the defense was missing,  That ruined the entire teams confidence that they could win the game knowing he was out.    But other factors include looking at common opponents down the stretch Mena fared much better against,   Mena beat Fountain Lake by 19, while Nashville lost to Fountain Lake 32-29. 
Mena beat Malvern twice including playoffs by scores of 32-22 and 26-7.   double digits both times,   where as Nashville struggled in a 28-26 win.    Bottom line they never played with both teams having their best team on the field.     

~WPS~

FootBallar21

Quote from: ~WPS~ on October 19, 2016, 09:59:22 am
35-7

Ask Arkadelphia about playing Mena at full strength for the entire game,  They beat Mena in the regular season when that player was ejected about halfway thru the game.  Then come playoff time with Mena at full strength Mena won. 

SCRAP_DAWG09

Quote from: FootBallar21 on October 19, 2016, 10:15:36 am
Ask Arkadelphia about playing Mena at full strength for the entire game,  They beat Mena in the regular season when that player was ejected about halfway thru the game.  Then come playoff time with Mena at full strength Mena won.
That's Arkadelphia. As a former Scrapper I must say that we didn't care about if the team was at "full strength" or half strength because it still wouldn't matter....you were going to get your butt kicked. Through 3 years I only lost 2 games and ended up with 3 rings. The logic of beating a team at full strength is a nonfator for teams such as Nashville, PA, Warren, Greenwood, etc. Thats why they are feared like they are. How bout this;  Nashville is without one of their running backs this week. Let's see if it'll make a difference.

~WPS~

To go along with what Scrapdawg said, good teams don't lose confidence because they are missing a player. They expect to win regardless of who is there and who isn't.

SCRAP_DAWG09

Quote from: ~WPS~ on October 19, 2016, 10:55:52 am
To go along with what Scrapdawg said, good teams don't lose confidence because they are missing a player. They expect to win regardless of who is there and who isn't.
Exactly

LJ06

Spot on

beach bum

FootBallar21

That would be true, if that Mena team which you are I guess calling not a good team,  didn't make it to Little Rock to play in the state title game!

The Coach

October 20, 2016, 10:39:48 am #26 Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:47:50 am by The Coach
Quote from: FootBallar21 on October 20, 2016, 10:27:24 am
That would be true, if that Mena team which you are I guess calling not a good team,  didn't make it to Little Rock to play in the state title game!

You do realize that was 2 years ago and nobody cares. They lost to Nashville, they lost to Warren and had they played Dardanelle they would've lost that one to. Funny thing is last yr when mena was 3-7 you weren't on the board much if at all that I remember. Mena CANT beat Nashville THIS year like they couldn't that year. Even if that kid plays Nashville wins because they were a better team period. Be grateful that $way beat Warren and put them and Dardanelle on the same side or mena never gets to WMS!!

Last thing the 96 mena team was blasted by Nashville in the playoffs also I believe.

Look A Here

Quote from: The Coach on October 20, 2016, 10:39:48 am
You do realize that was 2 years ago and nobody cares. They lost to Nashville, they lost to Warren and had they played Dardanelle they would've lost that one to. Funny thing is last yr when mena was 3-7 you weren't on the board much if at all that I remember. Mena CANT beat Nashville THIS year like they couldn't that year. Even if that kid plays Nashville wins because they were a better team period. Be grateful that $way beat Warren and put them and Dardanelle on the same side or mena never gets to WMS!!

Last thing the 96 mena team was blasted by Nashville in the playoffs also I believe.
:o :-X

~WPS~

I will give Mena this:  losing 35-7 in 2014 is actually a close game considering what the score usually is in this series.

Marblehog

Had the fastest kid in the entire state last year in all classifications but he didnt play football  14

Has the biggest freak in the state in 7th grade this year   56

duecek

~WPS~

Quote from: duecek on October 20, 2016, 02:18:45 pm
Nashville defense is terrible
If so, how did they hold Robinson to 28? I'll hang up and listen.

Turgin

Quote from: duecek on October 20, 2016, 02:18:45 pm
Nashville defense is terrible
They've come through when they had to.  I just hope they're practicing on-side kick recovery on special teams.  If they can get better at that, and stop giving good teams extra possessions, the defense will look a whole lot better.

FootBallar21

Quote from: The Coach on October 20, 2016, 10:39:48 am

I believe I didn't bring up 2014 that was Top Shelf, I only replied to it, and even said this ISN'T 2014!   I also believe I am not bias at all in predicting the score of the game this year or any other year,  I say it how I see it bottom line!

duecek

Quote from: ~WPS~ on October 20, 2016, 02:38:04 pm
If so, how did they hold Robinson to 28? I'll hang up and listen.

Hold to 28? That's a good amount of points lol

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: duecek on October 20, 2016, 04:08:11 pm
Hold to 28? That's a good amount of points lol

When you're giving up 33 a game, "holding" someone to 28 seems great...

~WPS~

Compared to what Robinson has scored on everyone else I'd say 28 is pretty good.

FootBallar21

Quote from: ~WPS~ on October 20, 2016, 04:15:12 pm
Compared to what Robinson has scored on everyone else I'd say 28 is pretty good.

Yea Robinson's offense has been really good I thought that game would be 56-63 Range.   Holding them to 28 was impressive. 

~WPS~

Hanson to Pettway 37 yard TD pass

Nashville 7
Mena 0
11:24 1st

~WPS~

Hopkins 5 yard TD run

Nashville 14
Mena 0
1:30 1st

~WPS~

Hopkins 20 yard TD run

Nashville 21
Mena 0
10:41 2nd

~WPS~

Hopkins 1 yard TD run

Nashville 28
Mena 0
7:04 2nd

all5capped

Goofgawd ill rejoice the day hubbard is no longer calling Nashville games. "Hopkins gets the ball he makes a cut now another cut he cuts again he could scorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre i think he wiiiiiiilllllll he does touchdown scrappers......are we sure he got got? He looked like he got in. He did! Touchdown scrappers!"

dang. How about. "Hanson takes the snapn at the 20 hands to hopkins he makes a cut at the 15 now another cut at the 10. One man to beat. Touchdown scrappers!"

Basically talk less n call the game dang man. Been doingthis for so longand have never even made the slightest attempt at improving his craft. I honestly dont even believe he watches football outside of Nashville high school. And take "i think" out of the vocabulary while announcing games. #endrant

~WPS~

Hanson to Jamison 48 yard TD pass

Nashville 35
Mena 0
1:12 2nd

~WPS~

polksalet

How is lil Hopkins doing tonight?

~WPS~

Lil Hopkins had about 3 carries for 5 yards in the first half. He will get plenty more.

~WPS~

Moorer to Spencer 62 yard TD pass

Nashville 42
Mena 0

10:00 4th

~WPS~

Mena 24 yard pass TD

Nashville 42
Mena 6

4:50 4th

~WPS~

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas