• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any thoughts on the LR Parkview coaches kneeling during the anthem? Haven't seen this in 4A.

Started by Sigmund Sauer, October 11, 2016, 07:49:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadWarrior

Call him what you want....he did what he set out to do. Do I think his methods are right. I may not be right for me but I can't judge him. That very flag that was fought for and over for so long is the very symbol of the things that were put in place that gives him the very right to kneel

RoadWarrior

Cuckoo Bird I didn't say all service members shared my views. I was simply speaking from personal experience and conversations. The civilian population would be very surprised about the views of a lot of service members. However no matter what's going on these days, I still wouldn't trade this country for anything!!! though.

AirWarren

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on October 12, 2016, 08:31:32 am
Cuckoobird and Roadwarrior, thank you both for your service...  I will stand for both of you and for our country.  For that brief moment we ALL stand together. After that we can disagree, protest, hate private schools and even vote for a lesbian :).....  But for that one moment let's all stand together and have some hope for the future....

Amen. Everyone, God knows I am guilty, needs to just learn to get along and stand with every American. You can disagree with views, lifestyles, etc and not be a bigot. Everyone is different. Everyone is unique. Lets just have peace.

That's the view from a lifelong conservative, Christian republican.

RoadWarrior

Amen....despite what the media wants us to believe this nation is still the greatest nation ever created. We can argue amonst ourselves but stand strong against any and everything else.This country was founded on outcasts that had different ways of thinking that didn't conform to what everyone else was doing. This makes us great! Different people with different point of views.

Dr. Defense

This country came out of disagreement.....the biggest problem today is everyone gets offended by everything. Just because you disagree with someone doesnt mean you have to dislike or hate them....

cuckoobird

Quote from: Dr. Defense on October 12, 2016, 10:03:32 am
This country came out of disagreement.....the biggest problem today is everyone gets offended by everything. Just because you disagree with someone doesnt mean you have to dislike or hate them....
+1 

Redskin2015

My grandfather served and died in Vietnam I never met him that's disrespect my family and his life in my opinion it's ironic that everyone going through with this movement is complete trash this year hopefully they'll be out of the job too

Oldbadger

They won't be fired.  They will receive a Letter of Reprimand and be told not to do that again on school time and property as long as they are employed by the LRSD. It will stay for three years.  If they do it again next week, they can be fired for insubordination.  Of course they will have to  have due process but that insubordination will be  a solid and verifiable reason for firing. Don't hold your breath!lol

Oldbadger

Everytime the National Anthem is played at a high school football game the U.S. Flag is either posted by a four-man squad or flying high on a pole.  It made me remember that poem Johnny Cash performed several years ago.  Here is the last of it which sort of describes what is happening now:

"On Flanders Field in World War I
She got a big hole from a Bertha Gun.
She turned blood red in World War II
She hung limp and low by the time it was through.
She was in Korea and Vietnam.
She went where she was sent by her Uncle Sam."
"She waved from our ships upon the briny foam,
And now they've about quit waving her here back home.
In her own good land she's been abused...
She's been burned, dishonored, denied and refused."
"And the government for which she stands
is scandalized throughout the land.
And she's getting threadbare and wearing thin,
But she's in good shape for the shape she's in.
'Cause she's been through the fire before
and I believe she can take a whole lot more."
"So we raise her up every morning,
Take her down every night.
We don't let her touch the ground
And we fold her up right.
On second thought I DO like to brag,
Cause I'm mighty proud of that Ragged Old Flag."

Kinda the way I feel!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Dr. Defense on October 12, 2016, 10:03:32 am
Well said, not sure you said it.

Superjack45

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on October 11, 2016, 10:22:33 am
I just don't understand how protesting a flag which was fought for by many black and white American equates to protesting police officers. This isn't just offensive to White veterans, but Black veterans, Asian veterans, Native American veterans, etc. The flag represents a nation, not just law enforcement.
Ok time to chime in well as some of you know I am a veteran and I am of color, the truth of the matter is that we that have served this Great country and we did so for everyone to to be equally respected as humans not color or creed or religion but as living human beings. Sadly some cops are doing some things that are wrong not just in blacks eyes but whites also and the problem with black on black crime is terrible. But instead of causing more problems with this kneeling their is other ways of protesting non-violently,I fought for the American people and would do it again if I had to but the freedoms that we have given Kapernick,Knuck Knuck,Billy Bob are all the same if Kap kneels than he have that right and if anyone disagree they have that right also, but to get things done you have to start somewhere. Do I agree with it No I don't but it his right,to many issues to name that need to fixed in the country we have got to start looking at each other as equal regardless of color and that's the bottom line. Also if you are going to be a Cop you can't be afraid of black,white,Mexican, or whatever color you are not, police everybody the same. IJS

OLDSCHOOL82

There is one problem that is completely un fixable in this world we live in.  As long as there are humans.....there will always be problems.  There will be greed, jealousy, discrimination, etc, etc as long as man kind walks this earth.  Man kind is and always will be flawed.  Hard work and common sense are becoming a thing of the past and, depending on leadership at the top, this entire situation could get much worse before anything gets better, if it gets better.  I truly feel for what my children will see in the later part of their lifetime and especially for my future grandchildren. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Superjack45 on October 14, 2016, 08:55:25 am
Ok time to chime in well as some of you know I am a veteran and I am of color, the truth of the matter is that we that have served this Great country and we did so for everyone to to be equally respected as humans not color or creed or religion but as living human beings. Sadly some cops are doing some things that are wrong not just in blacks eyes but whites also and the problem with black on black crime is terrible. But instead of causing more problems with this kneeling their is other ways of protesting non-violently,I fought for the American people and would do it again if I had to but the freedoms that we have given Kapernick,Knuck Knuck,Billy Bob are all the same if Kap kneels than he have that right and if anyone disagree they have that right also, but to get things done you have to start somewhere. Do I agree with it No I don't but it his right,to many issues to name that need to fixed in the country we have got to start looking at each other as equal regardless of color and that's the bottom line. Also if you are going to be a Cop you can't be afraid of black,white,Mexican, or whatever color you are not, police everybody the same. IJS

Nice post. Thank you for speaking up as not only as a proud American but a proud minority male. Thanks for your service.

I saw a sticker on a truck today. Loved it.

It had the American flag. Above it read, "You stomp on my flag...". Below the flag read "I'll stomp on your A**." Ha. Lemme get one of those.

Sigmund Sauer

It should be clear at this point, their are people of many races kneeling and protesting during anthems across the country, not just black people. My disdain for the practice is directed equally at all of those people. I'm more of a proactive person and think there are many better ways of improving police/community relations. Kneeling just isn't my thing in the first place, it's a universal sign of weakness or inferiority.

OLDSCHOOL82

Everyone likes to complain about problems.  A better way is to come with solutions.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on October 14, 2016, 10:17:52 am
Everyone likes to complain about problems.  A better way is to come with solutions.

thats an excellent point...at some time we are going to have to take action

zebradynasty

Although I do not agree with the kneeling as a form of protest, I would take up arms against anyone that would prevent it! For the most part men and women that have served and died for this country done so for our FREEDOM. Not some freedoms depending upon personal, political, religious views ALL of them guaranteed by the Constitution. The moment we start picking and choosing which freedoms, I think we lose our way and become less of a democracy. My disagreement with the kneeling has more to do with it taking away the focus of their message. However, it is a peaceful way and that is always a good thing.

I find it odd so many will view it as a sign of disrespect yet when people use other ways to express their discontent...its their God given right as an American. 

Superjack45

Quote from: zebradynasty on October 14, 2016, 12:05:04 pm
Although I do not agree with the kneeling as a form of protest, I would take up arms against anyone that would prevent it! For the most part men and women that have served and died for this country done so for our FREEDOM. Not some freedoms depending upon personal, political, religious views ALL of them guaranteed by the Constitution. The moment we start picking and choosing which freedoms, I think we lose our way and become less of a democracy. My disagreement with the kneeling has more to do with it taking away the focus of their message. However, it is a peaceful way and that is always a good thing.

I find it odd so many will view it as a sign of disrespect yet when people use other ways to express their discontent...its their God given right as an American.
+1

lizard1989

Speaking as a veteran, I want to say that I do not now, nor will I ever disrespect the flag or this country. Too many people have died so that we all have the right to live in the greatest country on earth. Yes, people have the right to protest, but people also have the right to disagree with those protests. More people need to stick to the phrase " agree to disagree" and move on. Just because I disagree with you does not mean that I hate you.

$aintMaximu$

Alright now everybody google Tupac Changes lyrics and let's all listen to Tupac... He was on to something...

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: lizard1989 on October 14, 2016, 04:21:33 pm
Speaking as a veteran, I want to say that I do not now, nor will I ever disrespect the flag or this country. Too many people have died so that we all have the right to live in the greatest country on earth. Yes, people have the right to protest, but people also have the right to disagree with those protests. More people need to stick to the phrase " agree to disagree" and move on. Just because I disagree with you does not mean that I hate you.

First of all I would like to thank all the American Veterans , which covers all Races and Religions!!
Thanks to God for Giving those brave men and women who died so this country could remain free and safe. To me the symbol of our Nation should be held in the highest regards. Patriotisim is not taught anymore , school , college, or society. No pledge of allegiance in school , will not be surprised if they take it and our flag out of our Nation in the future. we are on a slippery slope with the demise of western civilization as we know it. Are we free ? Are we safe?  We are on the precipice of a monumental change of racial divide in this Country. With no help from our media who magnifies every situation not knowing the facts or finding out results of investigations. This means more ratings by covering protest and riots that results in injuries, property damage and Death.
To me uniting this country should be on everyone's mind. We are ALL in this together. Sports teams that have diversity has to come together to be successful and if they don't they will implode.
Instead of kneeling stand and use our Flag to unite for one common cause that all Americans can agree , that all lives are precious, and we want a fair and just legal system that all Americans are treated equal. We must realize if we were all the same color crimes would still be committed, and criminals would still be captured and if they are a deadly threat to law enforcement or the public they may get shot and or killed. The one privilege we all have is the privilege of not committing crimes. And completely complying with law enforcement officials if we are caught committing a crime. Laws are not suggestions. Law enforcement has to be accountable for any unnecessary use of deadly force. Law enforcement should work close with community leaders, church leaders to build a relationship with the young kids and adults. More services and programs for kids that teach healthy relationships between community and law enforcement officials.

Being an American Christian , I'm reminded of the Ten Commandments.
These are Gods laws not given so he could punish mankind for disobeying them.
But so we don't Destroy ourselves , by doing what society says is moral

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on October 14, 2016, 10:20:22 pm

First of all I would like to thank all the American Veterans , which covers all Races and Religions!!
Thanks to God for Giving those brave men and women who died so this country could remain free and safe. To me the symbol of our Nation should be held in the highest regards. Patriotisim is not taught anymore , school , college, or society. No pledge of allegiance in school , will not be surprised if they take it and our flag out of our Nation in the future. we are on a slippery slope with the demise of western civilization as we know it. Are we free ? Are we safe?  We are on the precipice of a monumental change of racial divide in this Country. With no help from our media who magnifies every situation not knowing the facts or finding out results of investigations. This means more ratings by covering protest and riots that results in injuries, property damage and Death.
To me uniting this country should be on everyone's mind. We are ALL in this together. Sports teams that have diversity has to come together to be successful and if they don't they will implode.
Instead of kneeling stand and use our Flag to unite for one common cause that all Americans can agree , that all lives are precious, and we want a fair and just legal system that all Americans are treated equal. We must realize if we were all the same color crimes would still be committed, and criminals would still be captured and if they are a deadly threat to law enforcement or the public they may get shot and or killed. The one privilege we all have is the privilege of not committing crimes. And completely complying with law enforcement officials if we are caught committing a crime. Laws are not suggestions. Law enforcement has to be accountable for any unnecessary use of deadly force. Law enforcement should work close with community leaders, church leaders to build a relationship with the young kids and adults. More services and programs for kids that teach healthy relationships between community and law enforcement officials.

Being an American Christian , I'm reminded of the Ten Commandments.
These are Gods laws not given so he could punish mankind for disobeying them.
But so we don't Destroy ourselves , by doing what society says is moral
Well said! +1

EagleForLife12

Quote from: AirWarren on October 11, 2016, 08:07:25 am
I think it's garbage.

If those morons that knelt feel like they are set back or this country is against them, myself and many others would be happy to buy a plane ticket to their destination of choice. While they are kneeling, a US warship was nearly hit by rockets over the weekend near Yemen. I'm sure those soldiers in the Middle East would appreciate a couple of boneheads kneeling to the flag while they protect them so can coach on a grassy field.

This is what's wrong with society. Morons look up to idiots like kaepernick and not people of substance.
Your right, this comment is a PART of what's wrong with society, you are completely missing the whole point, not saying I would kneel because I wouldn't..BUT I do know the actual reason these protests are taking place and its not toward the government and dang sure not against the Soldiers that protect us..some people that think that are just searching for another problem to belittle the ACTUAL problem.

NEA Razorback olfan

IMO
How is kneeling helping?
You are doing nothing but dividing a Nation, where Law enforcement are being murdered by scum
That want revenge on law enforcement by a narrative magnified by the media,that every officer wakes up wanting to go shoot an African American... before they actually know the results of investigations or seeing dash cam, body cam/  they claim the officer was automatically at fault.

Any officer that murders someone in cold blood  should be held accountable. Everyone agrees when it's a clear case of murder, where an officer shoots a suspect that is clearly complying or running away, should be prosecuted. Law enforcement officials should have intense background check including social media before they are hired.  Plus Work with communities to bulld positive relations. Law enforcement is not an easy job, making life and death decisions in a split second. Wanting to return home to your family , knowing you may have a deadly encounter at anytime
Some people just should not get in law enforcement.

People see protest turn into riots that no one with morals and common sense is going to join in. This approach is the wrong one , I don't know anyone that believes black lives don't matter.
I hate racism its evil. Instead of kneeling actually do something to lower crime in neighborhoods and work with law enforcement who puts their lives on the line protecting everyone. When the officers where getting shot in Dallas, they were trying to get everyone out of harms way, including BLM protesters, While getting killed. A female officer beaten badly because she did not shoot a suspect high on PCP and had her face pounded in the asphalt because she didn't want to shoot an unarmed man and end up causing another protest/riot

We all know racism is taught, the pigment in our skin doesn't make who we are , our values , choices, and morality does. We are all in this together,  and so are our Children.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on October 15, 2016, 10:31:25 pm
IMO
How is kneeling helping?
You are doing nothing but dividing a Nation, where Law enforcement are being murdered by scum
That want revenge on law enforcement by a narrative magnified by the media,that every officer wakes up wanting to go shoot an African American... before they actually know the results of investigations or seeing dash cam, body cam/  they claim the officer was automatically at fault.

Any officer that murders someone in cold blood  should be held accountable. Everyone agrees when it's a clear case of murder, where an officer shoots a suspect that is clearly complying or running away, should be prosecuted. Law enforcement officials should have intense background check including social media before they are hired.  Plus Work with communities to bulld positive relations. Law enforcement is not an easy job, making life and death decisions in a split second. Wanting to return home to your family , knowing you may have a deadly encounter at anytime
Some people just should not get in law enforcement.

People see protest turn into riots that no one with morals and common sense is going to join in. This approach is the wrong one , I don't know anyone that believes black lives don't matter.
I hate racism its evil. Instead of kneeling actually do something to lower crime in neighborhoods and work with law enforcement who puts their lives on the line protecting everyone. When the officers where getting shot in Dallas, they were trying to get everyone out of harms way, including BLM protesters, While getting killed. A female officer beaten badly because she did not shoot a suspect high on PCP and had her face pounded in the asphalt because she didn't want to shoot an unarmed man and end up causing another protest/riot

We all know racism is taught, the pigment in our skin doesn't make who we are , our values , choices, and morality does. We are all in this together,  and so are our Children.
+1 well said

sevenof400

Quote from: EagleForLife12 on October 15, 2016, 04:48:38 pm
Your right, this comment is a PART of what's wrong with society, you are completely missing the whole point, not saying I would kneel because I wouldn't..BUT I do know the actual reason these protests are taking place and its not toward the government and dang sure not against the Soldiers that protect us..some people that think that are just searching for another problem to belittle the ACTUAL problem.

The -actual- problem? 

The actual problem is you have people who find it inconvenient to follow the law and seek to blame others for their misfortune. 
The actual problem is you have an education system that has (for the past four decades) done anything and everything in its power to hold kids blameless for any action, give them an unlimited number of second chances, and then wonder why kids can't function in society once they leave school. 
The actual problem is people who want to use every opportunity to proclaim they are a victim while simultaneously holding their hands out for social programs without getting off their (ever growing) fat(ter) arses and work. 
The actual problem is the existence of social programs and educational systems that all encourage these behaviors. 

Does that cover the -actual- problem?

beach bum

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 16, 2016, 11:23:51 am

The actual problem is the existence of social programs and educational systems that all encourage these behaviors. 

What? Are you concerned that these people are actually being free thinkers? Actually, all our social programs and educational systems do now is groom children to be corporate puppets for the future and not to be free thinkers so it is the opposite of what you are saying. The right wing loves that though... That is why religion also does not like free thinking and science either that disproves their religious dogma that the Earth is 6,000 years old. Why are people so terrified of people that are taught to think for themselves? Again, I don't understand why these people are kneeling, but it has no bearing on what goes on in my life so I could care less that they are doing it. Religion and the corporate world do not like people thinking for themselves.

cuckoobird

The whole idea of christianity revolves around free will. (Free thinking) and don't just shoulder the blame of being against free thinking on conservatives, have you ever disagreed with a liberal? If you do they will show you it's only ok to think freely if it supports their agenda. you are wrong on this issue BB

Dr. Defense

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 16, 2016, 01:05:46 pm
The whole idea of christianity revolves around free will. (Free thinking) and don't just shoulder the blame of being against free thinking on conservatives, have you ever disagreed with a liberal? If you do they will show you it's only ok to think freely if it supports their agenda. you are wrong on this issue BB

Spot on....

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 16, 2016, 01:05:46 pm
+1 right on

NEA Razorback olfan

According to studies 3 things to be successful and out of poverty for everyone
1 Graduate High School
2 Get a Job and keep a Job/ College
3 Do not have kids before marriage

Studies show Kids with a two parent household have a better chance Of a successful life dramatically compared to a single household.

dc24

I've been keeping quiet about this just because I know my viewpoint will be in the minority.  Sugartown, just wanted to applaud your posts, thought yours were spot on.

I'm not going to say I agree with Kaepernick's reasoning or the others that are kneeling, but I also can't disagree with it.  When something keeps happening over and over again, it's hard to just ignore it. Just because someone wears a policeman's uniform, or military, or whatever doesn't automatically make them a hero. There are bad apples in every profession, so let's just get that out of the way.  In my opinion, black people weren't really "free" until some time in the 1960's or even 1970's, especially in the south. You could argue that blacks in the south were treated worse after they were freed from slavery up until the 1970's and heck maybe even the 1980's in some states. There are plenty of people still alive that went through that time period. It wasn't THAT long ago folks. I'm white, and even I can admit that and I think most of you can agree that racism was very much alive and well during those time periods. I can't look at it from a black person's point of view, so I won't try, but I've said on here before, we don't get to decide what offends other people.

All that said, the only other thing I'd like to point out is that it is these coaches' right to kneel, and they're getting blasted for using their constitutional rights. But if they wanted to lead a prayer over the loud speaker, well a Christian prayer, they would be lifted up as being heroes, when they are likely violating the Constitution of the United States.

You can't have things both ways. I'm Christian through and through, but there shouldn't be any endorsement of religion in public schools, I don't care if everyone that attends is Christian.

It just strikes me as hypocritical to get on to someone for doing something, that as far as I can tell, is perfectly legal, but then celebrating those who are trying to break the law due to their religion. I know that won't be popular, but that's my two cents.

beach bum

Quote from: dc24 on October 17, 2016, 11:12:22 am
I've been keeping quiet about this just because I know my viewpoint will be in the minority.  Sugartown, just wanted to applaud your posts, thought yours were spot on.

I'm not going to say I agree with Kaepernick's reasoning or the others that are kneeling, but I also can't disagree with it.  When something keeps happening over and over again, it's hard to just ignore it. Just because someone wears a policeman's uniform, or military, or whatever doesn't automatically make them a hero. There are bad apples in every profession, so let's just get that out of the way.  In my opinion, black people weren't really "free" until some time in the 1960's or even 1970's, especially in the south. You could argue that blacks in the south were treated worse after they were freed from slavery up until the 1970's and heck maybe even the 1980's in some states. There are plenty of people still alive that went through that time period. It wasn't THAT long ago folks. I'm white, and even I can admit that and I think most of you can agree that racism was very much alive and well during those time periods. I can't look at it from a black person's point of view, so I won't try, but I've said on here before, we don't get to decide what offends other people.

All that said, the only other thing I'd like to point out is that it is these coaches' right to kneel, and they're getting blasted for using their constitutional rights. But if they wanted to lead a prayer over the loud speaker, well a Christian prayer, they would be lifted up as being heroes, when they are likely violating the Constitution of the United States.

You can't have things both ways. I'm Christian through and through, but there shouldn't be any endorsement of religion in public schools, I don't care if everyone that attends is Christian.

It just strikes me as hypocritical to get on to someone for doing something, that as far as I can tell, is perfectly legal, but then celebrating those who are trying to break the law due to their religion. I know that won't be popular, but that's my two cents.

+1,000

sevenof400

DC24,

One aspect you did not address is this - these coaches were employed by school districts that have explicit policy against precisely this type of activity and they chose to do this while working as a school employee.  Care to opine on that asepct?

Lumberjackfan1978

At most schools a student says a prayer over the loud speaker which is perfectly legal by the constitution

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 19, 2016, 12:22:49 pm
DC24,

One aspect you did not address is this - these coaches were employed by school districts that have explicit policy against precisely this type of activity and they chose to do this while working as a school employee.  Care to opine on that asepct?
+1

SUGARTOWN

DC24,

I don't think there are policies that specifically say you can't take a knee during the national anthem. Lol

It's a social statement, not a political one IMO.

Wonderdog

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 19, 2016, 01:27:40 pm
I don't think there are policies that specifically say you can't take a knee during the national anthem. Lol

It's a social statement, not a political one IMO.
I understand your point that you have been stressing in this thread. The logic behind it, in terms of an individuals right to do so, and thats true. I do not agree with it personally and thats as much as i will say about my own thoughts. Could you explain how this is strictly social? I feel that it falls in a social and political realm. I am interested in your thoughts on that specifically.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Wonderdog on October 19, 2016, 01:38:25 pm
I understand your point that you have been stressing in this thread. The logic behind it, in terms of an individuals right to do so, and thats true. I do not agree with it personally and thats as much as i will say about my own thoughts. Could you explain how this is strictly social? I feel that it falls in a social and political realm. I am interested in your thoughts on that specifically.

If you assume it's political then you're assuming there's a faction out there who openly want innocent young men and women of color gunned down by the cops. I don't think any political party supports that. It's a human issue not a political one IMO.

I guess if you view the police department as an extension of the government you can make a case it's political. But I don't think the government is involved in perpetuating this violence. Unfortunately, a few bad apples spoils the bunch. There are far more good cops out there than bad ones, we all know this, but some of the things going on now are just flat out wrong. Granted, these types of things been going on for years, but with the rise of social media and the fact that everyone has a camera in their pocket now they are getting more exposure than ever before.

Wonderdog

I agree about the exposure and that bad apples ruin it for others. As far as the police departmsnt, i would classify that as an extension of the government simply because they are there to provide law and order. I guess that is where you and I see things differently. The protest is  clearly aimed at law enforcement. There lies my political interpretation. I also agree that bad things are happening in our country.

dc24

DC24,

Is there a policy against it?  I'm not totally aware of one and won't pretend to know if there is or isn't.

If there is, that's totally different, but the point does remain that if people were trying to get prayers said at the beginning of the school day over the intercom system by the principal people would be applauding it, even though it is directly against the Constitution.

dc24

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on October 19, 2016, 01:01:32 pm
At most schools a student says a prayer over the loud speaker which is perfectly legal by the constitution

I might not have been clear, but I was talking about school personnel. Although, I'm not a huge fan of student-led prayer over the loud speaker before a game either because I do feel it can alienate some people, but as for a player leading the team in prayer before the game then I have no problem with it.

HBG PRIDE

Coaches should be leaders. Leaders don't kneel. This is unacceptable. Make a difference not a statement.

Oldbadger

I may have said it before.  These coaches will not be fired.  They, at worst, will receive a "Letter Of Reprimand" telling them to not do that any more on school time as it is against school policy (assuming it is).  If they do it again they can then be fired for insubordination.  That's it. However, they better stay employed in the LRSD, because I doubt any other district will want to hire any one considered "trouble makers".

zebradynasty

Quote from: HBG PRIDE on October 19, 2016, 03:20:30 pm
Coaches should be leaders. Leaders don't kneel. This is unacceptable. Make a difference not a statement.

Even Jesus kneeled it's not a sign of weakness.

beach bum

Quote from: HBG PRIDE on October 19, 2016, 03:20:30 pm

So they aren't leaders because you don't agree with them? That's a big leap... relax because they're silently protesting. Someone doing what you don't like doesn't make them not a leader. I don't side with what they are doing, but I am not getting up in arms and criticizing their character. I am going to assume these coaches are black. I can't speak to know what it is like to be them. I am sure they didn't grow up like me so I have no clue what it was like to live a day in their shoes. Let's just say one of these coaches was at the tail end of his career at maybe 50 to 60 years old range. Imagine what he may have gone through in his life. I am just speaking not knowing the age or race of the coach involved. You have no idea what this man may have gone through in his life to simply silently protest and you question his character as a person. You have no idea how he treats people on a daily basis or how his players view him. Its the same thing when people got so upset with Megan Rapinoe kneeling. Imagine being her and being with her partner for years and not being able to get married until recent history. The Equal Protection Clause under the 14th amendment squashed that and made same sex marriage legal. I can see why she protested kneeling considering she didn't have the same right as me until less than a year and a half ago. I wish she would have kept her protest to her club team and not the USA team. I did not like seeing that in her uniform, but its her right. You can't decide how people get to feel because you don't know what it is like to go through what they have. It is fair to not agree, but to question someone as a leader because of that isn't fair.

Sigmund Sauer

Well, they've not done it again. Funny how a paycheck can change your value system from week to week. Maybe they've taken on a more proactive method to change the world since, or perhaps just waiting on another away game.

NEA Razorback olfan

Just curious, how many on this board in their profession, if you make a mistake ,or make the wrong call, could end up taking a life?

Oldbadger

Perhaps a better way to phrase the question would be, "how many might cause a life to be lost?"

Of course, since I am retired, I am the most dangerous when I drive.  But one never knows when one says the wrong thing to someone, perhaps as a counselor, coach, or teacher, when a young person may take their own life.  I have known of a few students who committed suicide and you wonder, "did someone say or do something to cause this young person to do that?", or, you might ask yourself, " could I have done or said something to stop it".  So, no matter your profession, I can see where decisions might have cost a life in some way.  I am sure that isn't what you were referring to, but as a retired teacher, that is how I would answer. The above could happen when a young person is ridiculed or bullied and a teacher might shrug it off and not take the students feelings seriously.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas