• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harrison @ Vilonia

Started by Go Postal, January 07, 2015, 09:11:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

January 07, 2015, 09:11:39 pm Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:52:30 am by Go Postal

Well 5A West brothers and sisters, the 5A conference basketball is about to began anew.

The Vilonia Eagles (5-4) starts the conference season 2-0 at home, 1-1 away and 2-3 on neutral courts.

The Harrison Golden Goblins (9-4) starts the conference season 3-1 at home, 4-1 away and 2-2 on neutral (border States) courts.

This game will be played at Vilonia.

Can the shorter height Goblins show with their skill against a taller height Eagles on what it takes to win a West game

or

can the Eagles show that "size really does matter" to win a West game. ;)

Good Luck to both teams!  Let's start this West conference season off with a bang!

Comments and insights are welcomed.

Googlymoogly

One thing in there is incorrect
The Goblins lost their first game of the year at home against Nixa, Mo.

Go Postal

Quote from: Googlymoogly on January 08, 2015, 01:07:29 am
One thing in there is incorrect
The Goblins lost their first game of the year at home against Nixa, Mo.
fixed it.  I had it on neutral courts.

Mr. Beautiful

This is a great game to open up the conference season. In my opinion this will determine the 2 and 3 seed out of the west. I think Harrison's the better team but Vilonia at home will be tough.

HockeySticks

So game of the week in the 5A West already involving the Goblins, Are they bringing their taunting Baseball Players?

MDXPHD

Quote from: HockeySticks on January 08, 2015, 01:27:37 pm
So game of the week in the 5A West already involving the Goblins, Are they bringing their taunting Baseball Players?

You're awfully bitter toward Harrison with that first post..

HockeySticks

No bitterness, just truthful! Ask anyone who's ever faced them they will tell you the same. In 2010 they came down to V-Town ran all around the court and made a difference for the Gob's. Do not take it wrong, they are good at what they do.

Go Postal

Quote from: HockeySticks on January 08, 2015, 03:17:18 pm
No bitterness, just truthful! Ask anyone who's ever faced them they will tell you the same. In 2010 they came down to V-Town ran all around the court and made a difference for the Gob's. Do not take it wrong, they are good at what they do.
Yes they are good at what they do.  Here is a couple of examples from the "Spook House"...

and

I just wish more school's student sections were more involved with cheering their team on. 

HockeySticks

I agree that's neat. Thanks for the videos I'd heard about this but never seen it live.

ZoneBuster

Doubt Harrison student section is anything like it has been.

AT

I can support the fact that Harrison's student section is one of the best in Arkansas. They do it right.

AT

It's unfortunate Alma didn't schedule Harrison is non conference. That's been a great basketball rivalry

Go Postal

Quote from: ZoneBuster on January 08, 2015, 08:44:20 pm
Doubt Harrison student section is anything like it has been.
Maybe.  I noticed last year it had slacked off a little after some parents from other schools complained to the AAA about the student section at the "Spook House".  Hence the Choir boys skit, then second half began and things reverted back to normal to lead their team to victory with the Goblin team and fan base...  Hey fans, it is all in good fun as long as they don't physically change a game.  Verbally and sideline antics happens from the fans also, not just the student section.  My guideline to the student section is to follow the AAA handbook rules to a "T" and then find that loophole that goes beyond that "T". Keep it clean fans and student sections and rally your team for the win.
Quote from: Almatrackster on January 08, 2015, 08:54:22 pm
I can support the fact that Harrison's student section is one of the best in Arkansas. They do it right.
Thanks trackster.
Quote from: Almatrackster on January 08, 2015, 08:57:11 pm
It's unfortunate Alma didn't schedule Harrison is non conference. That's been a great basketball rivalry
True, we should have played the best of the best. ;)

Go Postal

Quote from: HockeySticks on January 08, 2015, 01:27:37 pm
Maybe not the game of the week in the West.  There are some others to be considered.  But it could be interesting of these "Old West" rivals.

sevenof400

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 08, 2015, 08:54:22 pm

Yes, indeed (nodding head emphatically).

Go Postal

Listened to the 1st half on the radio, just got home before half.  Sounds like a great game.  Here is the live video stream...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gobtvfootball

Go Postal

January 09, 2015, 07:38:21 pm #16 Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:10:06 pm by Go Postal
Harrison 53
Vilonia 51
Final

But seriously, one Heck of a game.  A good showing for these two teams to start conference play.  Mistakes were made, but those can be corrected.

Congrats GOBS on 10-4 on season and 1-0 in conference.

Go Postal

Vilonia Lady Eagles 36
Harrison Lady Goblins 31
Final

Congrats Lady Eagles.

It was a barnburner for both boys/girls games.  Nice opening for the first game in conference play against these two "Old" West rivals.

Go Postal

Thanks to Kool 96.1 for their live radio broadcast and to GOBTV for their live video broadcasts.  Being a West fan, does any other West team have some kind of Live radio/video streaming on away games on the internet?  Worldwide Goblin and 5A West fans want to know...

Go Postal

Farmington next for the Goblins and Lady Goblins at the "Spook House".

sevenof400

A few takeaways from tonights game:

• As noted, this game could have gone either way as it was nip and tuck from beginning to end.  Harrison jumped out to a 10 point lead in the early part of the 3rd quarter but Vilonia came right back and tied it later in the third quarter.
  • A lot of turnovers for both teams in the first half - not as many in the second but certainly something to be worked on before Tuesday.
  • Play was physical throughout - especially in the post area - but no one fouled out and fouls did not really decide this game.  Turnovers were certainly what did the Eagles in the 2nd half.
  • Silas Husky put in a full night's work for the Goblins - mostly on the perimeter but also some defense in the post area.  An excellent night for Husky.  Garrett Brown stood out for the Eagles with his work in the post (and a few 3's).  I can't recall a game in recent memory where Vilonia had the height advantage over Harrison but clearly that was the case tonight.
  • The question to be considered is what this game means for the rest of the season beyond this result.  Harrison appears (at least based on one game's observation) to be similarly reliant on Husky this year similar to what they were with Rose last year.  That is not necessarily a bad thing.  Even based on this limited observation, there is no reason to believe Harrison will not be among the top four in the conference.
  • What about the Eagles?  They certainly appear to be a much tougher out this year because of the presence of size and they appear to be using it with an increasing degree of confidence and competence.  This could be a very interesting year for the Eagles - an end to the playoff drought is a likely outcome I believe.

Go Postal

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 09, 2015, 10:13:02 pm
A few takeaways from tonights game:

• As noted, this game could have gone either way as it was nip and tuck from beginning to end.  Harrison jumped out to a 10 point lead in the early part of the 3rd quarter but Vilonia came right back and tied it later in the third quarter.
  • A lot of turnovers for both teams in the first half - not as many in the second but certainly something to be worked on before Tuesday.
  • Play was physical throughout - especially in the post area - but no one fouled out and fouls did not really decide this game.  Turnovers were certainly what did the Eagles in the 2nd half.
  • Silas Husky put in a full night's work for the Goblins - mostly on the perimeter but also some defense in the post area.  An excellent night for Husky.  Garrett Brown stood out for the Eagles with his work in the post (and a few 3's).  I can't recall a game in recent memory where Vilonia had the height advantage over Harrison but clearly that was the case tonight.
  • The question to be considered is what this game means for the rest of the season beyond this result.  Harrison appears (at least based on one game's observation) to be similarly reliant on Husky this year similar to what they were with Rose last year.  That is not necessarily a bad thing.  Even based on this limited observation, there is no reason to believe Harrison will not be among the top four in the conference.
  • What about the Eagles?  They certainly appear to be a much tougher out this year because of the presence of size and they appear to be using it with an increasing degree of confidence and competence.  This could be a very interesting year for the Eagles - an end to the playoff drought is a likely outcome I believe.
I like this summary on tonight's game.  I did like how Vilonia did sub in the giants back and forth when needed.  Great players.  Just maybe needs more 5A experience.  Overall, even if the Goblins might have lost, it was a great game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas