• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LR Christian Losing Interest

Started by WLRKid227, January 04, 2015, 04:14:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WLRKid227

LR Christian looked to be a threat for a state tournament spot coming out of the 5A West this season. That is, until they had 7 players quit the team shortly before the season got underway, including a 4-star running back from Camden. Does anyone have any insight as to whats going on in their program? I blame the head coach for not being able to keep his players invested in the team, from what I've heard this Trembley guy does a lot of kicking and screaming, but not a lot of real coaching. Anyone have any comments? ???

sevenof400

Quote from: WLRKid227 on January 04, 2015, 04:14:46 am
LR Christian looked to be a threat for a state tournament spot coming out of the 5A West this season. That is, until they had 7 players quit the team shortly before the season got underway, including a 4-star running back from Camden. Does anyone have any insight as to whats going on in their program? I blame the head coach for not being able to keep his players invested in the team, from what I've heard this Trembley guy does a lot of kicking and screaming, but not a lot of real coaching. Anyone have any comments? ???

You mean like far too many high school American football coaches? 
Go figure.

Hogskin

He is referring to the basketball coach. Stick to what you think you know non American futball. My guess is that they have a real off season football program. How many of those kids besides Crockett play football?

WLRKid227

Quote from: Hogskin on January 04, 2015, 04:12:42 pm
He is referring to the basketball coach. Stick to what you think you know non American futball. My guess is that they have a real off season football program. How many of those kids besides Crockett play football?
Crockett is the only player to quit that plays football. From what I understand, the basketball program at LRCA is on a downward spiral, fast... Theyve gone from a 15 man team to an 8 man team really quick. If you're the AD at Christian, how far do you let this go before you go elsewhere as far as coaching goes? Christian opened the season 2-8, by the way.

sevenof400

Quote from: Hogskin on January 04, 2015, 04:12:42 pm

He is referring to a yelling, screaming idiot - which is what you see on American football sidelines.
Open your eyes....and your mind.

The point to be remembered is the yelling and screaming tirade does nothing to teach kids how to play any sport but it seems to be the most common denominator of American football coaches.  Kids (and parents) tire quickly of this approach if there is an absence of teaching (which is what coaches are supposed to be as well).   

neds

He was better last night than what I remembered from the last two years. Those last two were bad.

Go Postal

My only problem with this thread:
Is the coach screaming at his players or the refs?  Maybe both.  Typical sports.

Chin Music

There are many issues at LRCA right now with basketball but not all are with the coach. 

The coaching job he did last year with the talent he had was a minor miracle.  They had little talent but they played incredibly hard, earning a playoff birth.  The starters from that team all graduated.  There was only one senior on the team headed into this year.  They were going to be very young and likely struggle, regardless.

Coach demands (maybe sometimes over the top) that his boys play hard.  This young group has struggled trying to meet his expectation. 

Some parents are also at fault here.  I'll just leave it at that.

Crockett is a D1 tailback so he probably needs to be in the football offseason program anyway.  I have no insight as to why he left the basketball team.  He seems to be a very good kid with his head on straight.

There is talent in the younger classes at LRCA.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Eagle20

The administration and parents are truly ignorant if they think they can find a better coach for that job.  Sounds like a bunch of whack job parents who can't see past their own nose and their child's lack of abilities.  He is a great young coach and if I were him I would get out of there now.

Hogskin

If you are 50 yds away from your team then yelling and jumping around is a must in order to communicate. If you are a basketball coach yelling and screaming does not mean you are not teaching ( Knight, Richerdson, coach K) it is a way to infuse your team with passion and in turn maximum effort each position. The teaching should be happing during practice the yelling is to reinforce the teaching, some kids can't handle that especially those who are privileged and use to the world being handed to them. Besides Bobby P I cant think of any Tackle football coaches who just yell and scream its more about getting the communication from the sidelines to the field. I think some folks on here resent Tackle football maybe because it is played with all of our body parts and no one cares about the other sport open your ears.

Greek101

The only " whack job " in this case is the coach.  The issues here are also in the locker room.  When you yell in your students faces that they suck and you are embarrassed to coach them you the coach are at fault. The kids lose all respect for you and don't want to play for you.  This goes way deeper than the sideline yelling and kicking.

Hogskin

Keep your head up, long season and the West is not as strong as it has been in the past. The ones who persevere will be  better players for it and until conf starts none of the other games really matter. When you cant stand the heat some say get out of the kitchen, I say get yourself some mittens , deflect the coaches words a play for each other.

Eagle20

Quote from: Greek101 on January 04, 2015, 10:07:22 pm
The only " whack job " in this case is the coach.  The issues here are also in the locker room.  When you yell in your students faces that they suck and you are embarrassed to coach them you the coach are at fault. The kids lose all respect for you and don't want to play for you.  This goes way deeper than the sideline yelling and kicking.
I am sure you are an unbiased parent or player.  I bet if you take a poll of his former players they would go to bat for him. 

Greek101

Facts:
2013 all seniors quit
2015 all seniors but one quit or transferred
2016 all but 2 have quit
I think the polls are in

Wonderdog

Situations like these are touchy to say the least. Sometimes you have kids who are used to a certain approach from coaches in their younger youth (pee wee) and have difficulties when being dealt with from school coaches who often demand their own rules rightfully or not. Other times you have coaches who abuse their power and let there emotions get the best of them when dealing with their team. Bottom line speculation on a situation like this makes for an entertaining read but helps neither party involved.

Eagle20

Quote from: Greek101 on January 05, 2015, 12:36:52 am
Facts:
2013 all seniors quit
2015 all seniors but one quit or transferred
2016 all but 2 have quit
I think the polls are in
noticed you left out the, 2011, 2012 and 2014 classes out on purpose.  They had many seniors in each class who played a lot.  Ask those kids.  90% of the ones who quit did so because of lack of playing time not the coach yelling at them.  Sour grapes!  Give me am example of one kid who quit and was getting playing time?  The big kid transferred to NLR to play with his AAU buddies.  Attrition happens in basketball this day and age because many kids don't care that much about being a part of something bigger than themselves.  It only matters if they are playing and as you know, only 5 can play at a time.

Grond

I'll start by saying that I don't know anything about what is happening at LR Christian. But I wonder if this is caused by the coaching tactics of our time: PLAYER focus rather than TEAM focus.

Basketball is a sport where a VERY talented individual can win a game, no matter how good or bad his/her teammates are.  Consequently, some coaches put the whole focus on the top players.  It is all about scoring, and all about winning.

If your are a top player, you play, no matter how you screw up.  And if you are not considered "very good", you won't even sniff the court.

At our 5A East school, last year we beat a team by 20 points, and played 6 players. This year we have typically played 7 players per game. There are only 4 players allowed to shoot; the other 3 or 4 players in the rotation risk sitting the bench if they take a shot and miss.

This method of coaching high school basketball can be brutal to the overall team. If you are the 9th or 10th best player, you have no chance to see the court (no matter how you play at practice).  Consequently, the coaches risks alienating most of the team.

I don't know if this is what happened at LR Christian; but this player-focused coaching is causing anger in many schools.

MDXPHD

January 07, 2015, 06:48:11 pm #17 Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:26:47 am by MDXPHD
Quote from: Grond on January 07, 2015, 06:02:12 pm
I'll start by saying that I don't know anything about what is happening at LR Christian. But I wonder if this is caused by the coaching tactics of our time: PLAYER focus rather than TEAM focus.

Basketball is a sport where a VERY talented individual can win a game, no matter how good or bad his/her teammates are.  Consequently, some coaches put the whole focus on the top players.  It is all about scoring, and all about winning.

If your are a top player, you play, no matter how you screw up.  And if you are not considered "very good", you won't even sniff the court.

At our 5A East school, last year we beat a team by 20 points, and played 6 players. This year we have typically played 7 players per game. There are only 4 players allowed to shoot; the other 3 or 4 players in the rotation risk sitting the bench if they take a shot and miss.

This method of coaching high school basketball can be brutal to the overall team. If you are the 9th or 10th best player, you have no chance to see the court (no matter how you play at practice).  Consequently, the coaches risks alienating most of the team.

I don't know if this is what happened at LR Christian; but this player-focused coaching is causing anger in many schools.

That may be, but it also has to do with parents being way more involved in their kids sports than they should be.  If a kid elects to play a sport, the kid needs to commit to that and play no matter how hard, boring, strenuous, or whatever else the practices are. Coaches used to coach way harder and do things differently than they do now, and our "soft" society is making it impossible for a coach to get onto a player and discipline them without the coach facing some sort of backlash from the parents.  If you don't want your kid to get yelled at, run line sprints, do pushups, etc. for making mistakes, then don't put them in sports.  Screaming isn't very effective, I agree, especially toward females, but it's always going to be part of the sport. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 07, 2015, 06:48:11 pm
Quote from: Grond on January 07, 2015, 06:02:12 pm

That may be, but it also has do deal with parents being way more involved in their kids sports than they should be.  If a kid elects to play a sport, the kid needs to commit to that and play no matter how hard, boring, strenuous, or whatever else the practices are. Coaches used to coach way harder and do things differently than they do now, and our "soft" society is making it impossible for a coach to get onto a player and discipline them without the coach facing some sort of backlash from the parents.  If you don't want your kid to get yelled at, run line sprints, do pushups, etc. for making mistakes, then don't put them in sports.  Screaming isn't very effective, I agree, especially toward females, but it's always going to be part of the sport.
MDXPHD is on to something. Especially the soft comment.

Mr. Beautiful

For someone posing these questions about program stability you sure do seem to have a lot of the answers. This leads me to believe you are either a disgruntled parent or player. I have a son at LRC and I have watched the program over the past few years with a lot of interest. Trembley and his staff have done a fantastic job of getting past teams into the playoffs. If I recall most years LRC is picked near the bottom of the league and seem to finish in the top four year in and year out. I hope my son wants to be a part of what both football and basketball coaches are doing at the school. I have also talked to Trembley in passing a number of times to me he seems to be a good christian man. When I was playing (late 90's) we let the palyers play, the coaches coach, and the parents watch and support. How is a man supposed to get his team "invested" when parents at home are tearing the coach down? 

Go Postal

January 08, 2015, 09:55:28 pm #20 Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:59:47 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: Mr. Beautiful on January 08, 2015, 08:59:08 am

For someone posing these questions about program stability you sure do seem to have a lot of the answers. This leads me to believe you are either a disgruntled parent or player. I have a son at LRC and I have watched the program over the past few years with a lot of interest. Trembley and his staff have done a fantastic job of getting past teams into the playoffs. If I recall most years LRC is picked near the bottom of the league and seem to finish in the top four year in and year out. I hope my son wants to be a part of what both football and basketball coaches are doing at the school. I have also talked to Trembley in passing a number of times to me he seems to be a good christian man. When I was playing (late 90's) we let the palyers play, the coaches coach, and the parents watch and support. How is a man supposed to get his team "invested" when parents at home are tearing the coach down?
I have always liked LRCA boys/girls in a love/hate relationship over the years in all sports.  Private schools vs Public schools, I don't care.  I just see great athletes competing in both.  Players and even coaches change over the years, sometimes OMG and other times WTH.  I'm glad that the Warriors and Lady Warriors are back in to the West in any sport.  Makes this conference even better in all sports.

Eagle20

Quote from: Mr. Beautiful on January 08, 2015, 08:59:08 am

Well said.

neds

SportsMom22

I have to say the intent of this thread, to ridicule LRCA's coach and basketball program, is despicable. Instead of posting inflammatory comments anonymously and having secret parents' meetings, why not be up front? It's because the ones who are behind this witch hunt know that what they're doing and how they're doing it is wrong. It's obvious that this thread was started by a disgruntled player or player's parent. You post questions, but then you answer your own queries. You are bringing embarrassment to the school and to the players on the team who actually care about the team. I also can't believe that LRCA's administration and AD are allowing this to go on. Do you realize what his family is going through? Do you realize that you are trying to take away a man's job? A man with a family and another child on the way. A man who has done nothing more than try to make his players the best they can be? You should be ashamed of yourself. Upholding Christian principles is mandatory for admission to LRCA. Are Christian principles being followed in this situation? No, they are not. It is Christians like you that give all Christians a bad name. If I'm thinking about sending my child to a Christian school, do I want to send my child to a school that does not enforce Christian principles? I don't think so. I hope you parents who are involved in this know that there are others who know who you are and are ashamed of your actions. You should also know that by making this public, other schools' fans now know what you are trying to do. As you walk into the gym, think about the all of those people looking at you disapprovingly knowing what you "Christians" are trying to do.   As someone who has had a vested interest in LRCA for many years, I'm ashamed of the players and their parents for exhibiting such unchristian behavior. I'm disappointed in the administration for allowing these behaviors to go on unchecked. May God have mercy on you.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas